Ralph Wilson fine response from "just give it to 'em" game

Dablitzkrieg

19 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

20230613_085834.jpg

I was only 10 but remember this game very well. Remember my teacher Mrs V being very pissed off first thing to start the day lol

What a beast comment from Ralph! Haha wish i was old enough to remember this statement

What was the just give it to him? Hot mic on that last PI in endzone or something?

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I was only 10 but remember this game very well. Remember my teacher Mrs V being very pissed off first thing to start the day lol

What a beast comment from Ralph! Haha wish i was old enough to remember this statement

What was the just give it to him? Hot mic on that last PI in endzone or something?

So it was all set up by a 4th and long play along the sidelines (with mere seconds left). Bledsoe (with the Pats at the time) completed a pass to a Pats WR -- and the receiver came down out-of-bounds -- and was driving back for the ball. Those were the days when officials had to make a judgement call on whether or not the receiver would have come down in bounds if not shoved out by a defender. That part of the play is debatable -- but the receiver had to come back for the ball and was clearly a yard short of the first down marker. 2 officials were on the scene and trying to make a call -- and one said to the other "Just give it to them".

The next play as time expired was the Hail Mary to endzone where the officials called DPI, which set up an untimed 1st and goal from the 1. Bledose then completed a TD pass to Ben Coates. Wade was made and had his team leave the field. The DBag Pete Carroll (head coach for the Pats at the time) responded by calling for a 2 point conversion.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

So it was all set up by a 4th and long play along the sidelines (with mere seconds left). Bledsoe (with the Pats at the time) completed a pass to a Pats WR -- and the receiver came down out-of-bounds -- and was driving back for the ball. Those were the days when officials had to make a judgement call on whether or not the receiver would have come down in bounds if not shoved out by a defender. That part of the play is debatable -- but the receiver had to come back for the ball and was clearly a yard short of the first down marker. 2 officials were on the scene and trying to make a call -- and one said to the other "Just give it to them".

The next play as time expired was the Hail Mary to endzone where the officials called DPI, which set up an untimed 1st and goal from the 1. Bledose then completed a TD pass to Ben Coates. Wade was made and had his team leave the field. The DBag Pete Carroll (head coach for the Pats at the time) responded by calling for a 2 point conversion.

This was the specific moment in time that made me hate Pete Carroll forever. 

Classless, bush league crap. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

Crazy betting story from that day.

You'll excuse Herman Gaynor if he never bets, let alone, watches another NFL game in his life.

Gaynor, a 36-year-old, unemployed, homeless man stood to win $1,600 off a $2 parlay card Sunday.

All Gaynor needed to complete his 10-team parlay was the Buffalo Bills to cover 3½ points against the New England Patriots.

The Bills appeared to have won, leading 21-17 with only seconds left. But thanks to two highly questionable calls by the officials, the Patriots scored a touchdown on the final play.

That gave New England a 23-21 lead as both teams started to leave the field. Watching the game at the Stardust Hotel sports book, Gaynor still felt safe since he had Buffalo plus 3½.

Even if the Patriots kicked the extra point, they would win by only three. Feeling secure, even after this wild finish, Gaynor went to the bathroom.

What greeted him as he came out was pure horror.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/homeless-man-loses-with-pats-win/#:~:text=Upset by the controversial calls,a new life were over.

• Like (+1) 1

i remember this game specifically.  i missed the entire end of it because i was flying back to boston to go to school.  i got a ride back to our house, and the moment i pulled up, one of my masshole roommates came out drunk and gloating about it.  another roommate who is from michigan and has zero ties to the bills comes out, screaming at him about how the win was bull####.  i actually had to break the two of them up as it almost turned into a full blown brawl.  i had zero idea what just happened, but the non-bills fan was so pissed that he almost got into a fight over it.  

• Like (+1) 2

The catch call and the spot were both ridiculous, but the DPI call right afterward was even worse.

Don't forget that this was happening at around the same time as Home Run Throw Forward and No Goal.

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This was the specific moment in time that made me hate Pete Carroll forever. 

Classless, bush league crap. 

That moment for me came years earlier when as the DC of the Jets he gave the Dolphins the choke gesture after a missed XP late in the game that would have tied the score.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Steve O said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VdRPWtQz4

Play in question occurs at 2:28:55. You can also find Chris Berman's game recap on youtube which has a better angle of the feet but that one doesn't show the refs discussion following the play.

Oh wow, that was a really bad call, perfect defense. RIP Terry Glenn though. At the time I wasnt old enough to understand you hate whos in your division and loved a few Pats. Him, and that RB that ended up tearing his knee up on the beach. Robert Edwards maybe?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ralph may have been cheap...but he was also rather sassy at times.

He was the same way with owners.  If something was wrong or bad for league he would say so even if the leaders were pushing things another way.  I actually saw Kim being that way but I see Terry going along with flow.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I was young but I remember being so mad I was crying afterwards. Couldn’t believe how bad the officials were. And they would never call DPI back then either. The whole sequence was fishy 

So that game and another one later that year (between the Jets and Seahawks) that decided playoff seeding were key factors in bringing instant replay (in its current format) back to the NFL. The Buffalo/Pats game in particular -- because Ralph had historically opposed instant replay. That game was the primary reason he changed his tune and voted (and in doing so got the league the number of votes necessary) to reinstate it in the off-season.

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

So that game and another one later that year (between the Jets and Seahawks) that decided playoff seeding were key factors in bringing instant replay (in its current format) back to the NFL. The Buffalo/Pats game in particular -- because Ralph had historically opposed instant replay. That game was the primary reason he changed his tune and voted (and in doing so got the league the number of votes necessary) to reinstate it in the off-season.

Which could very well be why there was a game with some bad calls against the Bills.  They couldn't get Rslph to vote for the  instant replay, until they had the opportunity to change his mind.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Which could very well be why there was a game with some bad calls against the Bills.  They couldn't get Rslph to vote for the  instant replay, until they had the opportunity to change his mind.  

Except Zebras did not want instant replay.

10 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Oh wow, that was a really bad call, perfect defense. RIP Terry Glenn though. At the time I wasnt old enough to understand you hate whos in your division and loved a few Pats. Him, and that RB that ended up tearing his knee up on the beach. Robert Edwards maybe?

That's the guy, sad. Coaching HS football last I heard.

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I was one of the (seemingly) few that really liked Ralph.

I love how he stood up for his team.

Pegula would never.

Pegula is not one person and they have different opinions on subjects.

Kim Pegula always gave me confidence and was actively involved on committees.

Terry is a hockey fan first and seems to be less involved.

40 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I have never seen a single action by Kim that led me to believe that she would do anything remotely close to what Ralph didZ

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

I have never seen a single action by Kim that led me to believe that she would do anything remotely close to what Ralph didZ

Ralph was a pioneer in the business, a respected member of the leagues owners, I'm sure his status allowed him to be a bit more vocal about matters he felt were negative to the sport.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Kim was doing a great job of making the Sabres the worst franchise in the league before they got her out of there....

I'm glad she's nowhere near the team now.

Terry is the most clueless hockey fan you've ever known.  

The administration at OBD has done a good job of keeping them both out of their hair.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.