Speculation: Could an extension for Gabe Davis be coming too?

akcash

5 hours ago, Beast said:

Why would they do that without knowing what they have in Shakir or Short?

No. No extension. If they do Beane really needs to be evaluated.

Then he shouldn’t be the WR 2

That’s the best argument for paying him now - if you’re rolling with him as the WR 2 - he’s number 1 if Diggs misses time - then you clearly believe in him and should pay him.  

If you aren’t sure then what the hell are we doing??

6 hours ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

I think/hope the Oliver deal means we are going WR#1 hunting during next year's draft (if Hopkins falls through). 

How does the Oliver extension help with the 2024 Cap, allowing us to go WR1 hunting? 

6 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

I doubt it from a cap perspective. He’s getting less than 3 million. I could see an extension during the season but not now. They need the little money 💰 they have for Nuk or a FA DE. Definitely in play for Nuk if they want. 

Haha you arnt getting any Nukes. Hate to break your bubble. 

I still have faith in Davis. His issues are mental not physical and can still be corrected/improved. That being said, they can’t afford to give into the temptation to overpay him. He’s replaceable.

Edited by Airseven
  • Agree 1

I think it depends on the price point

And I think that’s what happen with Tremaine Edmunds to. I think that if Edmonds would’ve been willing to sign for cheaper that year before he got this huge deal, the bills would’ve signed him.

The general manager has a price point that he doesn’t go beyond never comes to players

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

McBeane likely loaded up on picks (and by loading up adding a pair of 6th-round picks and getting a high comp pick for Edumonds) because they knew that with Josh's contract and some other roster commitments, they would need to try and get as much cheap talent as possible in the upcoming drafts. The Bills barring catastrophe will be drafting in the 20's or 30's a pair of 6th round picks and a pick slotted around 97-104 isn't likely enough to move you up dramatically into the top 10 where you will need to be in order to get a player like Harrison Jr or Wilson. 

Don’t forget the comp pick for Edmunds.  It might be a 3rd if I understand the 800 loopholes and stipulations on Comp picks.

The ton of picks will help with Beane’s never ending desire to move up (btw, I love that about him as we need top value not bodies.  This isn’t the drought).

9 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'd slot him somewhere between Zay Jones and Valdez Scantling.  Which would put him in the 8-10m AAV range. 

Agree with OP, I'm a Gabe fan.  He can't do everything some teams ask their #2 WRs to do, but he is a great downfield WR and young/still ability to improve.

I don't know about those comps. I think teams would have a higher value on Gabe than those two. But it's an interesting question...what is his comp/what is his value? 

2022 stats

recs/tgts          yards           yds/rec            TDs

Zay Jones:         63/93               823              10.0               5

Marquez V-S:    42/81               687               16.4               2

Gabe:                 48/93               836               17.4               7

DJ Moore:         63/118               888               14.1               7

M. Williams:      63/93                895               14.2              4

JuJu:                 78/101               933               12.0              3

Sutton:              64/109              829               13.0              2

Just based on last year's stats, D.J. Moore is actually Gabe's closest comp, and he and Wiliiams both have contracts that average $20,000,000; while Zay and Marquez average $8,000,000 and $10,000,000, respectively. JuJu just signed for $8,500,000 avg/year. Courtland Sutton, who compares well, is making $15,000,000. Hunter Renfrow is making 16 million and Corey Davis is making 12.5 mil.

And before you call out Gabe's catch percentage, the only players listed above with a significantly better catch percentage were Juju, Mike Williams, and Zay (but Zay---and JuJu to an extent-- are obviously catching a lot of shorter, high-percentage passes, as seen by their yards per reception difference). And to counter catch percentage, Gabe has that higher yards/reception and TD total.

And let's not also hear, well Gabe only has good numbers because of Josh Allen. As the names of the QBs for the other receivers listed above are: Mahomes, Herbert, Lawrence, Wilson, and...well, ok...Mayfield/Darnold/Walker (for Moore).

So, can anyone make sense of the WR market and where Davis might unbiasedly (either way) be valued? imo, I would think teams value him in the upper half of #2 WRs money. But I have no idea what that means in dollars. It appears to be anywhere between 8.5 and 20 million.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I really like Gabe but this was too good to not post in this thread.

Gabe got plenty of heat from fans during games last season about his bad hands and he's not shy about yelling back at them.   Hopefully he uses that as motivation to get better.   When you are among the worst ball droppers and least efficient target catchers in the entire league.......the criticism is warranted. 

1 hour ago, folz said:

I don't know about those comps. I think teams would have a higher value on Gabe than those two. But it's an interesting question...what is his comp/what is his value? 

2022 stats

recs/tgts          yards           yds/rec            TDs

Zay Jones:         63/93               823              10.0               5

Marquez V-S:    42/81               687               16.4               2

Gabe:                 48/93               836               17.4               7

DJ Moore:         63/118               888               14.1               7

M. Williams:      63/93                895               14.2              4

JuJu:                 78/101               933               12.0              3

Sutton:              64/109              829               13.0              2

Just based on last year's stats, D.J. Moore is actually Gabe's closest comp, and he and Wiliiams both have contracts that average $20,000,000; while Zay and Marquez average $8,000,000 and $10,000,000, respectively. JuJu just signed for $8,500,000 avg/year. Courtland Sutton, who compares well, is making $15,000,000. Hunter Renfrow is making 16 million and Corey Davis is making 12.5 mil.

And before you call out Gabe's catch percentage, the only players listed above with a significantly better catch percentage were Juju, Mike Williams, and Zay (but Zay---and JuJu to an extent-- are obviously catching a lot of shorter, high-percentage passes, as seen by their yards per reception difference). And to counter catch percentage, Gabe has that higher yards/reception and TD total.

And let's not also hear, well Gabe only has good numbers because of Josh Allen. As the names of the QBs for the other receivers listed above are: Mahomes, Herbert, Lawrence, Wilson, and...well, ok...Mayfield/Darnold/Walker (for Moore).

So, can anyone make sense of the WR market and where Davis might unbiasedly (either way) be valued? imo, I would think teams value him in the upper half of #2 WRs money. But I have no idea what that means in dollars. It appears to be anywhere between 8.5 and 20 million.

Have to disagree that dj Moore is a comp for Davis 

Moore is solidly WR1 material

Also worth mentioning that Mike Williams is usually third in Chargers offense target share behind Keenan Allen when healthy and Ekeler

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Don’t forget the comp pick for Edmunds.  It might be a 3rd if I understand the 800 loopholes and stipulations on Comp picks.

The ton of picks will help with Beane’s never ending desire to move up (btw, I love that about him as we need top value not bodies.  This isn’t the drought).

I did mention the comp pick which should be slotted in the 97-104 range. But a pair of 6th round picks and a pick in the 97-104 range is not enough to make the Bills go from a pick in the late 1st where they are likely to be all the way to a top 10 pick which is where they will likely need to trade up to in order to get a chance at the top 3 WR's in next years draft. 

That's not to say extra picks won't help, but if the Bills are going to want a crack at a top WR in next years draft they are likely going to have to give up a lot more than the extra 6ths and extra late 3rd they picked up. Hell even tossing in those three picks and the Bills 2023 2nd might not be enough to get where they need to go.

Wrote  Matt Parrino in NYup.com:

"Big-time no. 2s like Los Angeles Chargers receiver Mike Williams and Tampa Bay’s Chris Godwin make $20 million per season. A better comparison for Davis might be former New England receiver Jacobi Meyers, who had about the same numbers as Davis in 2022. He signed with the Las Vegas Raiders for less than $13 million AAV in March."

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2023/06/5-thoughts-on-the-buffalo-bills-giving-ed-oliver-a-4-year-contract-extension.html

12 hours ago, BBFL said:

Push the chips for MH2. 

Who? Wanna throw him on the radar

12 hours ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

That makes. I just like the odds of either of those scenarios better when you don't have another hole you need to adequately fill. 

Ideally, I'd like to see Gabe absolutely ball out this season and get paid (by someone else). Then we move up from the last pick of round 1 to attempt to find our next Diggs. So our core is Diggs, Round 1 future Diggs, and Shorter who by this point has rounded into the Gabe Davis we have today. 

Solved. Make it happen BB!

I've been very surprised to see so many speaking highly of Shorter as a receiving prospect?

Sincere question. Why? 5th rder, nothing jumps out at me, is it just the big frame? He seems like a dude who only makes roster bc of STs and only plays few snaps outside of injury bugs.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Who? Wanna throw him on the radar

I've been very surprised to see so many speaking highly of Shorter as a receiving prospect?

Sincere question. Why? 5th rder, nothing jumps out at me, is it just the big frame? He seems like a dude who only makes roster bc of STs and only plays few snaps outside of injury bugs.

Harrison Jr. 

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So, you want the Bills to tank this season?

Tank? No. Give up the capital or assets to get him? Yes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.