Speculation: Could an extension for Gabe Davis be coming too?

akcash

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Have to disagree that dj Moore is a comp for Davis 

Moore is solidly WR1 material

Also worth mentioning that Mike Williams is usually third in Chargers offense target share behind Keenan Allen when healthy and Ekeler

I'm not saying Gabe is as good as Moore (or deserves 20 mil/yr), I am only pointing out that their stats for 2022 were the most similar across the board. Of course, I also noted that Moore was the only WR I listed that didn't have a top QB throwing him the ball (which matters too). Was just trying to see where Gabe slotted in with other receivers stat-wise last year to get an idea of what his value might be or what his agent might argue for. But of course, stats are not the end all be all.

But if you break last year's WRs down into tiers of similar production, then Gabe's stats place him in a tier of 11 players (who ranked 25-35 in rec yards last season):

Now, this is just my gut opinion, but I think Gabe would be valued more highly than guys like Zay Jones (8mil), Jakobi Meyers (11 mil), and Donovan Peoples-Jones (870,000). But what about the rest of the group (are they all above Gabe?): Allen Lazard (11 mil), George Pickens (rookie deal), Courtland Sutton (15 mil), Drake London (rookie deal), Diontae Johnson (18.355 mil), D.J. Moore (20.628 mil), and Mike Williams (20 mil).

That's quite a range of payments for similar production. So what do you think? Below the top three, but above the bottom 4? So, somewhere between 12 and 17 mil for Gabe? If so, what would people think of Gabe getting say 12-15 million/year. And if you expect him to be paid less, what's the reasoning (JuJu only getting 8.5 mil, or other ideas)?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Harrison Jr. 

Tank? No. Give up the capital or assets to get him? Yes. 

I remember a lot of people felt the same way about Sammy Watkins, including Whaley, unfortunately.

Giving up the kind of assets we would have to give up to get him just isn't smart, except if you're trading up for a possible franchise QB.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Unlikely. Teams don't usually pay good #2 WRs. Someone is gonna pay him to be a #1.

Hunh? Plenty of #2s get paid. They get paid as #2s, not #1s, but they get paid.

Hunter Renfrow. Tim Patrick. Jakobi Meyers. Tyler Boyd. Tyler Lockett. Diontae Johnson. Plenty.

This could easily happen. Don't know if it will but it's a good possibility.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Who? Wanna throw him on the radar

I've been very surprised to see so many speaking highly of Shorter as a receiving prospect?

Sincere question. Why? 5th rder, nothing jumps out at me, is it just the big frame? He seems like a dude who only makes roster bc of STs and only plays few snaps outside of injury bugs.

For me, it’s just hopefulness

No, but he says that he doesn’t have speed

Nobody says that he’s not physical

Nobody says that he can’t make contested catches

But at this point, it’s just how full you think the glass is

18 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Maybe

But paying a bunch of above average guys isn't the way imo

but doing it the Rams way isn't the way either, they will be sucking for years now.   their SB was immediately forgotten once the team immediately went into cap hell and fell apart.   Sure lets create a dream team, win one SB, then open our new stadium with Josh Allen and a bunch of D3 college grads.  No thanks. 

Trust the Process. 

• Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, BBFL said:

Push the chips for MH2. 

Marvin Harrison Jr. is probably the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

He's a lock for a Top 5 pick, and will probably get some #1 overall consideration depending on who is drafting first next year.

I would like to hear your plan for getting into a position to obtain this player.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Marvin Harrison Jr. is probably the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

He's a lock for a Top 5 pick, and will probably get some #1 overall consideration depending on who is drafting first next year.

I would like to hear your plan for getting into a position to obtain this player.

The only way that happens is if we look to move on from Diggs and package with picks, not sure what the dead cap hit would be after this season  (Also not saying I have any interest in doing that either)

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I did mention the comp pick which should be slotted in the 97-104 range. But a pair of 6th round picks and a pick in the 97-104 range is not enough to make the Bills go from a pick in the late 1st where they are likely to be all the way to a top 10 pick which is where they will likely need to trade up to in order to get a chance at the top 3 WR's in next years draft. 

That's not to say extra picks won't help, but if the Bills are going to want a crack at a top WR in next years draft they are likely going to have to give up a lot more than the extra 6ths and extra late 3rd they picked up. Hell even tossing in those three picks and the Bills 2023 2nd might not be enough to get where they need to go.

I agree as I always look at one of the draft value charts before I ever make a comment on value and how to trade up as so much is wildly off on the board.  Sometimes you can over or underpay and it works, but not by a ton as some suggest.  For example a 7th rounder is only worth 1 pt on the JJ table.

I still like the idea of how we don’t need a ton of draft picks, rather lumping some together to get a better value pick.

47 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

What would it take to move up to get a player like Harrison, who has a very good chance of going in the top 10?

Couple of firsts, obviously. Maybe a player also. We’ve seen before where consensus top 10 prospects from the last year have a drop in value due to a myriad of things; injury, lack of production, off the field issues. Anything can happen. Will the latter two happen with his background and track record? Doubtful. So injury is the most likely to cause him to drop down boards. You also have to factor in needs and risers throughout the year. May be possible he ends up going in the 10 to 20 range. Wouldn’t be too hard to jump into those spots. Let’s just hope the wheels don’t fall off this year and we are picking in the ball park of 20 anyway 😂

Either way, as it would be projected, it will take some decent capital to get to an area where we can pick him. Unless someone in the room develops into a serious weapon opposite Diggs, might as well swing for the fences whilst Josh is here. Just feel this guy is on par with Julio Jones/AJ Green of recent years. 

Edited by BBFL

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

but doing it the Rams way isn't the way either, they will be sucking for years now.   their SB was immediately forgotten once the team immediately went into cap hell and fell apart.   Sure lets create a dream team, win one SB, then open our new stadium with Josh Allen and a bunch of D3 college grads.  No thanks. 

Trust the Process. 

Their SB was forgotten?????

WHAT AM I READING IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2023 IN BILLS LAND! 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I remember a lot of people felt the same way about Sammy Watkins, including Whaley, unfortunately.

Giving up the kind of assets we would have to give up to get him just isn't smart, except if you're trading up for a possible franchise QB.

Wasn’t that much really, think we only moved up 4/5 spots. Watkins was ridiculous in college and really improperly used for spells here. Don’t know why it didn’t work out for such a talented prospect. Kid was special in college… even if it was a lot of underneath and YAC production. 

We need a young WR capable of taking on Gabes role for a couple of seasons and then taking over for Diggs.

Gabe is average, at best, as a #2 wr. Our # 2 wr should be close to 80 catches 1000 yds a year and that's with Allen throwing the football... Gabe hasn't even hit 50 catches or come close to 1000 yds.

Gabe will not sign an extension that's cheap enough to make him cuttable, and he hasn't done enough consistently to have this conversation this season IMO... so I'm against it..

Edited by ddaryl

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Trust the Process. 

So the Rams actual Super Bowl championship has been forgotten already but we must take steps to ensure our hypothetical one is enshrined in perpetuity

I'd be willing to offer something like 3/30 or 4/40, but anything beyond that and I think we should probably let him play out this season, recoup another 3rd RD comp pick and draft a WR early next year.  

So far, he's shown to be a high end WR3 or low end WR2, in a pass heavy offense, with upper tier deep threat capability. 

Maybe there's more there as he continues to develop, and with healthy ankles... but he's had ankle issues on and off for a minute now. 

54 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

How about simply restructuring some contracts and get DHop? Go ALL IN this season!!

I like Hopkins, think he’s a great talent but need a bit of a friendly contract and I honestly don’t think this unit is in bad shape with the addition of Kincaid. Plus with Oliver’s extension and the signing of Floyd I don’t see them kicking any cash down the line unless it’s Dawkins.

There’s a lot of potential key players; whether role or rotational, who will be Free Agents these next 2 years. With Josh’s contract, Center and both Tackle spots a question mark in that time frame, going to need to inject money to one of those which won’t be cheap. Be it new tackle/s, Dawkins, Brown or a new Center (can’t see Morse lasting), might as well get a potential generational talent on the cheap for a cost controlled 4/5 years to pair with Diggs tail end of his career.
On another note, 2026 looks to be just as an expensive off-season. 

Just my 2¢

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

Couple of firsts, obviously. Maybe a player also. We’ve seen before where consensus top 10 prospects from the last year have a drop in value due to a myriad of things; injury, lack of production, off the field issues. Anything can happen. Will the latter two happen with his background and track record? Doubtful. So injury is the most likely to cause him to drop down boards. You also have to factor in needs and risers throughout the year. May be possible he ends up going in the 10 to 20 range. Wouldn’t be too hard to jump into those spots. Let’s just hope the wheels don’t fall off this year and we are picking in the ball park of 20 anyway 😂

Either way, as it would be projected, it will take some decent capital to get to an area where we can pick him. Unless someone in the room develops into a serious weapon opposite Diggs, might as well swing for the fences whilst Josh is here. Just feel this guy is on par with Julio Jones/AJ Green of recent years. 

I'm not against this, it'll take a lot of luck to pull this off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.