Bills Sign Former First Rounder Shane Ray (now released with injury settlement)

aristocrat

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Is there a possibility of putting him on the practice squad if you have put him on injured reserve

I get the feeling this is a stash for next season type of deal. He'll have a better shot of making it next year too with Leonard Floyd, AJ Epenesa, and Shaq Lawson all Free Agents. 

They'll keep him in the building, give him a year to hang around the team, study the playbook more, sign him to a futures deal, and he'll be back in Camp next season.

I think if the plan were to put him on the Practice Squad, they would have released him and then put him there. As was stated, McDermott said this was a day to day injury. Putting him on IR screams "stash".

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I get the feeling this is a stash for next season type of deal. He'll have a better shot of making it next year too with Leonard Floyd, AJ Epenesa, and Shaq Lawson all Free Agents. 

They'll keep him in the building, give him a year to hang around the team, study the playbook more, sign him to a futures deal, and he'll be back in Camp next season.

I think if the plan were to put him on the Practice Squad, they would have released him and then put him there. As was stated, McDermott said this was a day to day injury. Putting him on IR screams "stash".

I hope so. Seems like a good guy and he really busted his butt in camp.

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I hope so. Seems like a good guy and he really busted his butt in camp.

Pretty positive. If they didn't have future plans for him, they'd have just released him with an injury settlement like they do with anyone they're going to cut who gets hurt.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 8/22/2023 at 1:44 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

it screams injury settlement incoming. You can’t IR day to day injuries for the season.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Look two posts above yours haha

Ha! I just saw the thread and was catching up. That’ll teach me to not get to the end… but yea… a healthy player on IR gets released not stashed. Obviously some art to that but you don’t get to hold a guy a year for a paper cut. 

• Haha (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Bills Sign Former First Rounder Shane Ray (now released with injury settlement)

Wouldn't be surprised to see him invited back to the practice squad in a few weeks once the necessary wait period is over.  Disappointed it didn't work out now, though.  Worth the swing and I hope Beane keeps swinging in instances like this.  You never know when one of these feel good stories will actually hit.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him invited back to the practice squad in a few weeks once the necessary wait period is over.  Disappointed it didn't work out now, though.  Worth the swing and I hope Beane keeps swinging in instances like this.  You never know when one of these feel good stories will actually hit.

Not taking this thread off-track but just wanted to say I agree with you and I have a feeling we actually have a player like that who is about to hit……Isabella.

• Like (+1) 1

From what I read he can sign with anyone after whatever period of time is outlined in the injury settlement.  He can re-sign with Buffalo but only 3 weeks after the period of time in the injury settlement.  Therefore he becomes a free agent and Bills can't sign him for the first three weeks of his free agency. If no one signs him then Bills can bring him back after the additional three weeks.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What are the rules on this again? We’re not able to put him on our practice squad this year since we did this?

Injury settled players are FA with the added caveat they cannot sign with the team they got the injury settlement from for that season.  They can get a new contract from that club the next season, I do not know if they can offer a futures contract until this season is over as the settlement team.  If he plays this year it would have to be for another team. 

Edit:  saw the post that said the injury settlement time frame is how long before Bills can re add him if both parties choose that.  So he may decide he wants to keep playing for Bills once the time passes.  It could be a stash of sorts.  He is not required to accept any offer from any other team. He may just be rehabbing and waiting to be added back to roster once he's needed.

Edited by AuntieEm

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

stick a fork in him already, he's done

Sometimes it seems this team is shopping at the 'no name' used car lot, buying up that nicely shined up '68 Malibu, that you then find out is a four door with an L-6 in it, Powerglide transmission, and rust in the floor pan.  Can't get out of its own way. 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.