Allen willing to change

Scott7975

3rd and 6

1st Quarter

Score 0-0

Allen drops back and there is immediate pressure.  Don’t run.  Don’t spin.  Don’t hurdle.

Just spike the ball at the feet of your running back who stayed in (and failed) to block.

Punt.

Allen starts doing that…then we can believe he is serious about starting to play this game at the level required for the long haul.

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Good, he needs to. We need him around for the long haul. 

Makes sense. The only 2 times he has been hurt in his career have been getting hit in the pocket.

I think if you do an injury comparison, the vast majority of QBs get hurt on hits in the pocket.

Murray tore an ACL while running out of the pocket...Tannehill tore an ACL while running out of bounds, but most injuries are from in the pocket hits.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

3rd and 6

1st Quarter

Score 0-0

Allen drops back and there is immediate pressure.  Don’t run.  Don’t spin.  Don’t hurdle.

Just spike the ball at the feet of your running back who stayed in (and failed) to block.

Punt.

Allen starts doing that…then we can believe he is serious about starting to play this game at the level required for the long haul.

No. Are you nuts

Don't run designed qb runs on 3rd and 1 at our own 30.

Or the above scenario use the sideline, or slide before contact after the 1st down. No need for the overkill you're talking about

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Makes sense. The only 2 times he has been hurt in his career have been getting hit in the pocket.

I think if you do an injury comparison, the vast majority of QBs get hurt on hits in the pocket.

Murray tore an ACL while running out of the pocket...Tannehill tore an ACL while running out of bounds, but most injuries are from in the pocket hits.

It’s more about long term sustainability as opposed to specific injuries. All those hits add up and will eventually take its toll

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is 2023 NFL - he should scramble whenever he can especially in bigger games.  

Just AVOID CONTACT down field.   

Slide.  Get out of bounds.  

This isn’t hard.  

Designed QB runs - there should be none called until after week 14.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

3rd and 6

1st Quarter

Score 0-0

Punt.

That's not what Beane and McD are talking about.  They said they're fine with him running, but he needs to not take unnecessary hits like where he lowers his shoulder and delivers a hit when just running out of bounds or sliding is the better option.

Beane was on Green Light with Chris Long and specifically mentioned the Vikings game after he injured his elbow against the Jets.  Docs said he'd likely miss 1-3 weeks.  Josh said he could play that week and the Doc said he'd only clear him if Josh agreed to protect himself.  Beane said 2nd quarter he's running, already had the first down at midfield and instead of sliding, lowers his shoulder against an oncoming Safety.

Those are the unnecessary hits they're talking about.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He suffered the turf toe injury running against Tampa.  

I like him running to avoid being hit in the pocket because those are truly more likely to be where he gets injured but more concerned about the cumulative impact of lot's of violent collisions downfield. 

Running needs to be part of his game but taking the punishing hits in the process needs to effectively end if there is hope of him playing another 10+ years at a high level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like him running to avoid being hit in the pocket because those are truly more likely to be where he gets injured but more concerned about the cumulative impact of lot's of violent collisions downfield. 

Running needs to be part of his game but taking the punishing hits in the process needs to effectively end if there is hope of him playing another 10+ years at a high level.

Also the concussion vs Pats outside the pocket iirc

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's because the vast majority of QBs are found inside the pocket

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The two serious injuries were inside the pocket being hit. At least one of the two outside was him running from pressure. 

Answer? Protect Josh. I actually think that is more important than weapons. He isn't an elite processor. So he does need half a second longer than Joe Burrow or Mahomes but his arm and accuracy when he is set mean if you can give him that extra half second he is more capable than both of making chicken salad with chicken sh*t at receiver.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 10

53 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

3rd and 6

1st Quarter

Score 0-0

Punt.

LOL! ok man..

giphy.gif

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

No. Are you nuts

Don't run designed qb runs on 3rd and 1 at our own 30.

Or the above scenario use the sideline, or slide before contact after the 1st down. No need for the overkill you're talking about

Yeah, might as well start punting on 3rd and 10+ too!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I dont think he means just running.  I think he also talking about taking what the defense gives when he needs to.  Also, I dont think running is ever going to be out of his game.  Nor do I think it should.  It's part of what makes Allen special.  He just needs to learn to avoid the hits more.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly.  It's pretty simple.  Limit the designed QB power runs and slide before contact in the open field when at all possible.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Agree. Allen has more than proved his body is durable and able to handle the hits when he takes off. Of course, no need to be reckless or take unnecessary risks. However, I tho k Allen does a decent job of protecting himself. He's a big body. 

I want Allen to use his legs. That's one part of his game that makes him dangerous. I don't want to see a pure drop back passer. I still want to see plenty of RPOs. 

You can't play the game scared or timid. Be assertive to aggressive when you play. Let's not limit Allen's toolbox. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

It’s more about long term sustainability as opposed to specific injuries. All those hits add up and will eventually take its toll

You really can't assume that. Some of the worst hits Allen and other QBs have taken is in the pocket. 

Based on your logic, maybe Allen should hand of the ball more and not pass. 

As another posted pointed out QBs are much more likely to get hurt passing. 

This notion of limiting Allen's legs limits the weapons of the team's offense.

Of course, I'm not advocating reckless and careless running by Allen. We have 5 years of Allen running and basically being injury free. 

As he gets older he will likely run less. For now, let Josh be Josh. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am not concerned with Josh Allen’s quarterback play. What is Sean McDermott doing to change as a head coach would be a good question to ask? As a Buffalo Bills fan I more along those lines as a fan what is Sean McDermott going to do to screw it up because he has been the Bills weakest link for two years and counting in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Certain fans are gonna be scared of Allen injuries for the majority of his career but he’s different from everyone else.

His competitive fire won’t allow for him to become cautious until his body sends him the message, the way he’s built and his opponents unwillingness to become posterized seem to point to this aggressive Allen for another 5-7 years.

get used to it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You really can't assume that. Some of the worst hits Allen and other QBs have taken is in the pocket. 

Based on your logic, maybe Allen should hand of the ball more and not pass. 

As another posted pointed out QBs are much more likely to get hurt passing. 

This notion of limiting Allen's legs limits the weapons of the team's offense.

Of course, in not advocating reckless and careless running by Allen. We have 5 years of Allen running and basically being injury free. 

As he gets older he will likely run less. For now, let Josh be Josh. 

Nonsense.  You’re making a lot of assumptions about my post.  I believe that the hits in the pocket are worse than the hits outside of the pocket.  You’re assuming that I disagree with that statement. And you’re wrong. 

my logic says nothing of the sort and your logic is more of the same poopoo you spew.    You are putting words in my mouth.  My post says NOTHING about the pocket or scrambling. My post discusses hits and the accumulation 

I can 💯assume that taking more hits will have more of a negative impact than taking less hits. That’s what my post infers.  Your assumption skills suck.  

your post is really stupid.  Per usual. 

Edited by NewEra

Well, I think there's only so much that can change when it comes to Allen. I mean certain situations he could do a little better like taking what the Defense gives him at times and whatnot.

But he is what he is and will still play his game more often than not I expect. He will still have those plays where he picks ups chunk yards with his legs.

54 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

I am not concerned with Josh Allen’s quarterback play. What is Sean McDermott doing to change as a head coach would be a good question to ask? As a Buffalo Bills fan I more along those lines as a fan what is Sean McDermott going to do to screw it up because he has been the Bills weakest link for two years and counting in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Why haven't you left yet? Be a mammal of your word and leave

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

That's not what Beane and McD are talking about.  They said they're fine with him running, but he needs to not take unnecessary hits like where he lowers his shoulder and delivers a hit when just running out of bounds or sliding is the better option.

Beane was on Green Light with Chris Long and specifically mentioned the Vikings game after he injured his elbow against the Jets.  Docs said he'd likely miss 1-3 weeks.  Josh said he could play that week and the Doc said he'd only clear him if Josh agreed to protect himself.  Beane said 2nd quarter he's running, already had the first down at midfield and instead of sliding, lowers his shoulder against an oncoming Safety.

deciding to run and scramble and take a hit on 3rd down in the 1st quarter is about as unnecessary as it gets.

the game will not be won nor lost for a punt in the 1st quarter 

and him risking running and picking up a first down does not justify it.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

LOL! ok man..

giphy.gif

The great QBs with multiple Lombardi trophies know the drill.

maybe one day you will too.

until then…enjoy the pointless scrambles and risk of injuries and fumbles and interceptions and early playoff exits.

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

The Viking games and Allen’s Elbow is a complete spin job.  They didn’t worry about his arm at all.

They were so worried about his arm?  Yet they dialed up 50 pass attempts?

come on now.  Let’s get real.

4 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

deciding to run and scramble and take a hit on 3rd down in the 1st quarter is about as unnecessary as it gets.

the game will not be won nor lost for a punt in the 1st quarter 

and him risking running and picking up a first down does not justify it.

The great QBs with multiple Lombardi trophies know the drill.

maybe one day you will too.

until then…enjoy the pointless scrambles and risk of injuries and fumbles and interceptions and early playoff exits.

Welp, Beane and McD disagree with you.  Take it up with them.  They know running is part of Josh's DNA and they just want him to do it smartly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Welp, Beane and McD disagree with you.  Take it up with them.  They know running is part of Josh's DNA and they just want him to do it smartly.

That is so subjective as to what is “smart” when it comes time to run.

Being too amped, too competitive, fear that the game has to be won in the first 5 minutes.

only leads to bad decisions.

• Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, Westside said:

Hopefully that means throwing the open short pass rather then playing hero ball.

I think this is way more important than the sliding/running out of bounds on runs. 

..and the designed short pass. Not the run around for 5 seconds and throw an off target pass towards anyone he sees. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

That is so subjective as to what is “smart” when it comes time to run.

Being too amped, too competitive, fear that the game has to be won in the first 5 minutes.

only leads to bad decisions.

It's not subjective because the example I gave came right from Beane's mouth.  If he decides to scramble, they want him to slide or get out of bounds instead of constantly challenging defenders head on.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

90% of car accidents occur within 20 miles of home. Crazy, huh?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ridiculous that Allen is put in the position of needing to say this.

Allen did not do what he did last year, put himself in harm's way all of the time, wing the ball down the field, and play "Hero Ball' because it was his first choice.

He did so because of the extremely one dimensional offense the Bills employed. He tried to overcome the nonsense Dorsey created.

They had an extremely poor short passing game, while Allen had proved to be superb at this in the previous years. Extremely lacking and poorly conceived.

The Bills ran the ball almost always as an afterthought, it seems, and  almost never established the run as an integral part of the game.  This despite clear signs that they were a dynamic, high level running team, (look at the yards per carry of both Motor and Cook), capable of running with the best teams in the league.

Allen is not Rodgers, thank God, or Wilson, thank all the powers that be, and, at least so far in his career, has never called out coaches publicly and likely in private either.  So he takes the blame as always.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, julian said:

Certain fans are gonna be scared of Allen injuries for the majority of his career but he’s different from everyone else.

His competitive fire won’t allow for him to become cautious until his body sends him the message, the way he’s built and his opponents unwillingness to become posterized seem to point to this aggressive Allen for another 5-7 years.

get used to it.

That's kinda how I see it also....

I mean we probably will see him take "what the defense gives you" a bit more often than before, especially early part of the season I'd expect. He will still use his legs often, but maybe tries to be more safe. There still will be times he lays it all on the line when he feels it's needed because that's just who he is.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Nonsense.  You’re making a lot of assumptions about my post.  I believe that the hits in the pocket are worse than the hits outside of the pocket.  You’re assuming that I disagree with that statement. And you’re wrong. 

my logic says nothing of the sort and your logic is more of the same poopoo you spew.    You are putting words in my mouth.  My post says NOTHING about the pocket or scrambling. My post discusses hits and the accumulation 

I can 💯assume that taking more hits will have more of a negative impact than taking less hits. That’s what my post infers.  Your assumption skills suck.  

your post is really stupid.  Per usual. 

Do you know how silly you sound? 

"Taking more hits well have a more negative impact than taking less hits." You want to take the statement literally with no inferences. Thanks for that information. It was truly a profound statement. WTF!

Get real NewEra. Your spin and cover up is obviously a fail. 

30 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

It's not subjective because the example I gave came right from Beane's mouth.  If he decides to scramble, they want him to slide or get out of bounds instead of constantly challenging defenders head on.

Everytime Allen runs and it’s not designed…it is technically a failed passing play.

To have an offense so “off schedule” and yet expect great results is very off base in the grand scheme of things.

• Like (+1) 1

Everytime Allen runs and it’s not designed…it is technically a failed passing play.

To have an offense so “off schedule” and yet expect great results is very off base in the grand scheme of things.

An incomplete pass is a failed passing play.  What's your point?  

I don't expect great results every time.  Josh being able to extend plays is what makes this offense unpredictable and hard to scheme against.

You apparently want to turn Josh into a pure pocket passer, which is never going to happen.

I trust Josh's judgement when he decides to take off.  I want to see him get down or get out of bounds when the only other option is contact.

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Do you know how silly you sound? 

"Taking more hits well have a more negative impact than taking less hits." You want to take the statement literally with no inferences. Thanks for that information. It was truly a profound statement. WTF!

Get real NewEra. Your spin and cover up is obviously a fail. 

Bro, you’re one of the silliest posters in board history.  No one takes you seriously.  ✌️ 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

An incomplete pass is a failed passing play.  What's your point?  

I don't expect great results every time.  Josh being able to extend plays is what makes this offense unpredictable and hard to scheme against.

You apparently want to turn Josh into a pure pocket passer, which is never going to happen.

I trust Josh's judgement when he decides to take off.  I want to see him get down or get out of bounds when the only other option is contact.

The point is that lots of folks get excited when Allen runs…but the majority of his runs are simply due to a complete failure in the passing game.

Just surprising to me so many people cheer what is technically a utter breakdown in passing offense.

extension of plays is simply a failure to execute the play design.

if everyone is executing the play as it is designed … you shouldn’t be extending the play.  It’s not madden after all.

the QBs who win the Lombardi (on vast majority) win FROM THE POCKET.  Executing the offense.

Josh saying that being a Quarterback is 2nd, in the first couple paragraphs is why he is not quite there yet, sounds more like telling people what they want to hear aka lip service. When he get out of bounds / slide before contact the vast majority of the time I will believe that he has seen the light.

A Championship Victory is the priority, and he needs to keep his eyes and his mind on the prize. Now all that said, I don’t mind him going for it to get a first or a TD, but not when the team is up by multiple scores, if he is still doing  the same old same old at those moments,  that’s when the tale will be told on this article. 

GO BILLS!!! The promise land awaits!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.