Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The rest of the state didn't want the Bills to get a new stadium at all.  The eastern NY papers & many of the politicians said some pretty nasty stuff about the deal.  Tack on another half billion & the pols in Albany would have killed the whole deal.  Remember when Zeldin wanted to renegotiate the deal when he ran?  That was the downstate attitude.  

We're lucky there's any new stadium being built.  When the deal wasn't finalized my biggest fear was the wrong people would get in & Josh Allen would be the QB of the St. Louis Arch.  

Yes but they were will to let New York City rob them blind with all their sports facilities and allowing MSG to not pay taxes on the profits for the New York Knicks and New York Rangers in 50 years. I don’t take the rest of this state with polls seriously. Albany should talk they had a new arena before Buffalo Marine Midland Arena with no major league tenant. Buffalo Memorial Auditorium was so dated it was a WPA project. Here is a little known fact about Buffalo before Rich Stadium was built we had the distinction of not having any state money Stadium and Arenas with three major league sports teams the Buffalo Bills NFL at War Memorial Stadium a WPA project, the Buffalo Sabres NHL and Buffalo Braves NBA at Memorial Auditorium a WPA project until Rich Stadium was built. I don’t want to hear about New York State downstate we pay a lot of taxes with the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres pay up in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If true somebody at UB should lose their job then. The opportunity to have an NFL quality indoor multi-purpose venue on your campus is something that should NOT have been passed up. 

When the new stadium was being talked about the University At Buffalo said they would build it on their campus

New York and Erie county said no thank you... But if you would potentially like to use the new stadium in orchard Park we can talk about it

And they said no we want our stadium on campus

And that's the cliff notes version and it never really got further

Edited by Buffalo716

Everyone should meet halfway and the stadium should be a dome, but both sides of the stadium adjacent to each end zone should be a giant sliding glass window that can be opened when the weather is good so that it at least gives everyone some nice fresh air and sort of feels like being outside. But with a roof over your head. The best of both worlds!

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

When the new stadium was being talked about the University At Buffalo said they would build it on their campus

New York and Erie county said no thank you... But if you would potentially like to use the new stadium in orchard Park we can talk about it

And they said no we want our stadium on campus

And that's the cliff notes version and it never really got further

And once again…a mistake. If the State was putting up so much of the money, and I have no problem with them doing so, they should’ve been more in the term/dictation drivers seat. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And once again…a mistake. If the State was putting up so much of the money, and I have no problem with them doing so, they should’ve been more in the term/dictation drivers seat. 

The University at Buffalo?

Are you saying they should have agreed to play at the new stadium in orchard Park? To help their football program

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The University at Buffalo?

Are you saying they should have agreed to play at the new stadium in orchard Park? To help their football program

The opposite. The State should’ve dictated that the stadium be on the campus for all of the reasons that I outlined earlier. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

The opposite. The State should’ve dictated that the stadium be on the campus for all of the reasons that I outlined earlier. 

Well that's also all fine in dandy...

You're a smart guy... So it's probably not a surprise to you when I tell you that New York does not give a s*** about the University at Buffalo Athletics either

I would go basically anywhere from Buffalo to orchard Park to Amherst to watch the Bills... So I just had a few things I wanted

Which was close to the field to keep the crowd noise, keeping a tailgating tradition and I prefer  open air

That was it and if they built a dome I wouldn't complain either

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well that's also all fine in dandy...

You're a smart guy... So it's probably not a surprise to you when I tell you that New York does not give a s*** about the University at Buffalo Athletics either

I would go basically anywhere from Buffalo to orchard Park to Amherst to watch the Bills... So I just had a few things I wanted

Which was close to the field to keep the crowd noise, keeping a tailgating tradition and I prefer  open air

That was it and if they built a dome I wouldn't complain either

That’s certainly a lot of words. Not sure what most of them have to do with this conversation but there are a lot of them. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s certainly a lot of words. Not sure what most of them have to do with this conversation but there are a lot of them. 

That New York doesn't care about UB.. so they were never building a bills stadium on their campus

It's not even a thought to them 

I would go basically anywhere to watch... But New York is not building it on UBs campus .. and Terry p is not putting in 700 million for that either

Edited by Buffalo716

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That New York doesn't care about UB.. so they were never building a bills stadium on their campus

It's not even a thought to them 

I would go basically anywhere to watch... But New York is not building it on UBs campus .. and Terry p is not putting in 700 million for that either

Let me see if I understand. According to you the State of New York doesn’t care about the University of Buffalo, which has to be one of the largest employers in the entire region? And one whose assets and property holdings literally dwarf those of the Buffalo Bills. Interesting. 

15 hours ago, Just Jack said:

The first Bills game in Toronto for the Toronto series, it was a pre-season game.  Driving into Toronto the dome was open, since it was a nice day.  Someone decided it had to be closed for the game.  So disappointed with that decision.  I don't think they had any game there with the roof opened.  

Texans Browns game this weekend had roof closed....It was a nice day in Houston..65 degrees....perfect for open roof

Having a design without a retractable roof is just poor planning.  

Sure it wouldn’t prevent issues with the roads but you wouldn’t have to spend countless hours & man power getting snow off the field, out of the stadium and out of the stands. Fans would be comfortable and players can execute without ridiculous weather impacting the game.  

Also energy could be redirected to clearing snow in the lots.  

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Has it been released if the Stadium will have the heated field, as well as heated seats?  I have to think that would at least help clear the snow in games like this

heated field yes since its a grass field.  Not sure about heated seats however.   The field tonight shouldn't be an issue unless more snow starts after they remove the tarps.

16 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

heated field yes since its a grass field.  Not sure about heated seats however.   The field tonight shouldn't be an issue unless more snow starts after they remove the tarps.

why can't they tarp the seats, like Jacksonville

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Think About It GIF by Identity

And where is all the 2’ plus of snow going to go that falls on top of and around all the tarps? The weight of snow on the tarps would be ridiculous. This isn’t Fl. It’s still a massive cleanup.

Serouisly not having a retractable design build here is just utter stupidity.  Especially in this day and age.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

And where is all the 2’ plus of snow going to go that falls on top of and around all the tarps? The weight of snow on the tarps would be ridiculous. This isn’t Fl. It’s still a massive cleanup.

Serouisly not having a retractable design build here is just utter stupidity.  Especially in this day and age.

But it's too expensive! Why spend $2.5 billion when you can waste $1.4 billion

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me see if I understand. According to you the State of New York doesn’t care about the University of Buffalo, which has to be one of the largest employers in the entire region? And one whose assets and property holdings literally dwarf those of the Buffalo Bills. Interesting. 

Not really the Athletics program... From top to bottom UBs Athletics loses money

That's why they cut four programs in the last 7 years... Four full division 1 programs

They struggle to bring consistent good crowds to games for football and the program didn't even make them any money last year

They have lost back to back years to FCS schools... 

The school cares more about academics than Athletics... 

They currently have the worst division one basketball program in the country

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Has it been released if the Stadium will have the heated field, as well as heated seats?  I have to think that would at least help clear the snow in games like this

Per Sal this morning on WGR, yes, the new stadium's field will have the same type of heating element as Lambeau.  

On 1/15/2024 at 11:43 AM, PayDaBill$ said:

Why do you want a retractable roof instead of just a regular roof? The regular roof would be cheaper. The retractable roof would only be opened once or twice a year. The NFL would only allow us to open it on a perfect weather day.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Why do you want a retractable roof instead of just a regular roof? The regular roof would be cheaper. The retractable roof would only be opened once or twice a year. The NFL would only allow us to open it on a perfect weather day.

Whatever a roof is fine as well.  My point was you’re building new infrastructure in this climate it makes zero sense not to spend that kind of money and not consider covering the building.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Whatever a roof is fine as well.  My point was you’re building new infrastructure in this climate it makes zero sense not to spend that kind of money and not consider covering the building.

Thats why it will have a partial roof. Reduce shoveling needed by about 70%. Plus all the hallways will be heated and large and wide. Somehow, boston, new jersey, cleveland, pittsburg and philadelphia can have their open air stadiums, and not be called morons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Thats why it will have a partial roof. Reduce shoveling needed by about 70%. Plus all the hallways will be heated and large and wide. Somehow, boston, new jersey, cleveland, pittsburg and philadelphia can have their open air stadiums, and not be called morons.

Lmao 70% is not covered, especially with blowing snow and how many of those facilities you mentioned are new?  Hum think you missed the point …. Entirely!

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Eyeroll 2

42 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

That's an extra $ BIllion.

So the question I'm going to ask, and if you have the answer I expect solid details. Where is the R.O.I coming from ?  The amount of offseason use of the venue needed to justify an extra billion$ is not happening. You would need to be able to book a couple dozen offseason acts to have a chance at getting an R.O.I. 

Not many big name acts or shows want to come to Buffalo in the winter.. dome or not. So again you can do the math up, down, sideways... the bottom line is you're in the red. Add in the fact that the new stadium will be getting periodic maintenance after the 1st decade of use, so you can start adding in 100s of millions of upkeep.

Buffalo just doesn't have the ability to support a dome and break even. Its a losing proposition. Terry could pony up the $1 Billion but even he knows he ain't making that chunk back. The state knows they can't sell that to the taxpayers, they sold them on replacing the stadium, but even that pissed off lots of NYS residents. There was a less than zero chance they could sell taxpayers on an extra $billion.

10 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

That's an extra $ BIllion.

So the question I'm going to ask, and if you have the answer I expect solid details. Where is the R.O.I coming from ?  The amount of offseason use of the venue needed to justify an extra billion$ is not happening. You would need to be able to book a couple dozen offseason acts to have a chance at getting an R.O.I. 

Not many big name acts or shows want to come to Buffalo in the winter.. dome or not. So again you can do the math up, down, sideways... the bottom line is you're in the red. Add in the fact that the new stadium will be getting periodic maintenance after the 1st decade of use, so you can start adding in 100s of millions of upkeep.

Buffalo just doesn't have the ability to support a dome and break even. Its a losing proposition. Terry could pony up the $1 Billion but even he knows he ain't making that chunk back. The state knows they can't sell that to the taxpayers, they sold them on replacing the stadium, but even that pissed off lots of NYS residents. There was a less than zero chance they could sell taxpayers on an extra $billion.

So 70% is covered and it’s $1B more for 30% love to see that data.

lmao The entire project is $1.7B.

Edited by PayDaBill$

3 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

So 70% is covered and it’s $1B more for 30% love to see that data.

really all the extra support needed, you do know you can't just put a roof on, that roof needs major support built in...  I also haven't see a render that shows it 70% covered, maybe 30% covered

Does this look 70% covered to you ?

qw0zpzs6vh1qfrckwbzp

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

really all the extra support needed, you do know you can't just put a roof on, that roof needs major support built in...  I also haven't see a render that shows it 70% covered, maybe 30% covered

qw0zpzs6vh1qfrckwbzp

The cross sections somebody shared a few months back weren’t anywhere close to 70%. Maybe closer to 40 or 50% tops. 

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

qw0zpzs6vh1qfrckwbzp

Only going by a post above on the 70%.

Youre the mathematician, the entire stadium project is $1.7b and you told me a $1b to cover.

i call BS.

1 hour ago, wagon127 said:

I believe there are 3-4 more snow cities that play in the elements.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PayDaBill$ said:

Only going by a post above on the 70%.

Youre the mathematician, the entire stadium project is $1.7b and you told me a $1b to cover.

i call BS.

Ok but if there was a R.O.I then what is stopping them.. 

if you are gonna make your money back then what is stopping them......  they can't afford the loss or chose not to lose money on this investment

Looking at that photo/rendering, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that new stadium's seats and aisles would be covered in snow just as bad as Highmark was the other day (after a similar high wind/Lake effect snow event).

Just now, Bob Jones said:

Looking at that photo/rendering, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that new stadium's seats and aisles would be covered in snow just as bad as Highmark was the other day (after a similar high wind/Lake effect snow event).

No. The roof will cover the entire upper deck.