Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

On 12/29/2023 at 3:36 PM, PBF81 said:

Gotta see the urinal troughs.  

They could probably save a few bucks by just transferring over the old ones.

image.thumb.png.344ec3c390823423ea12da9aa2b9eccd.png

• Haha (+1) 4

Bills one of the more popular teams in all sports (from the Buffalo News)

The stadium’s unfavorable rankings have not diminished the popularity of the team that plays inside it. A pair of studies have shown the Bills are one of the most popular franchises in all professional sports.

The Bills are the third most popular sports franchise in America, with an average monthly search volume of 3,842,750, according to research from iGaming reviewer Lucky Gambler, which analyzed search volume data from Google Keyword Planner in this calendar year.

The Bills were the most searched team in New York, amassing 1.14 million of their average monthly searches in the state alone. The Bills are also the second most popular team in the NFL for 2023.

With an average monthly search volume of 7.2 million, the Cowboys are the most popular sports team in America this calendar year. In addition, the study also found that football is the most popular sport in the country, having amassed an average monthly search volume of 57.5 million – that’s more than 21 million higher than the next most popular sport, baseball.

Also, the Bills were ranked fifth for the sports franchise with the most searched branding, with an average of 21,360 combined monthly searches, according to web design company Digital Silk, which analyzed search data for more than 200 of the world’s largest brands by combining each name with the terms "logo," "brand" and "branding."

The study revealed that the Cowboys have the most searched branding for a sports team in America, with an average of 30,426 monthly searches.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The original estimate for the build was $1.4 billion and any money over that estimate comes out of the Pegulas' pockets.  The current cost estimate is now $1.7 billion and that is probably going to be significantly low.  That means the Pegulas are already on the hook for $300 million.  https://apnews.com/article/bills-new-stadium-cost-overruns-9846e00bd063cf2e8b12406af66c6ef9

Inflation continues to rise monthly.  If you see reports that inflation is going down, what is actually happening is that the RATE of inflation is coming down.  In layman's terms, what they're saying is that prices (inflation) went up again last month, but the amount that prices (inflation) rose last month was less than it rose the month before.  A bit off semantics to put a positive spin on the fact that the cost of everything continues to go up.

Before it's all said and done I wouldn't be surprised if the overage is in the $600-700 million range.  I know Terry and Kim are flush, but they're not Bezos flush. That is a massive amount of money to come up with, particularly when a lot of the Pegulas' wealth isn't cash sitting in a bank vault somewhere.  I don't see a construction contractor accepting a LNG lease in Pennsylvania in trade for building the stadium.  

If the Pegulas need to start cutting corners the promised "virtual tours" are a fine place start.  I'd rather they skimp on stuff like that than the actual stadium.

The tour reporters have asked her why — given her parents are billionaires — she plays and I suppose this is exactly why Jessie Pegula has stayed on the WTA 🎾 circuit.

Gotta bring home some of that Wimbledon & Aussie Open bacon to fund the stadium overages!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mrags said:

just like all the fans that don’t live in the area. Don’t have season tix. Just show up in town for 2 weekends a year. Spend roughly $600 on local wing places like Duffs, Anchor Bar, and Bar Bill. Show up to other people’s tailgates and mooch off their food. But think they have an opinion of what the stadium should be.

Yeah, you're right. None of our tax money will fund any of this.  I distinctly recall getting a rebate check from NYS for the hotel taxes, sales taxes, gasoline taxes, Thruway tolls, etc. from the last time I went up there.  I also remember getting a nice phone call and an envelope of cash from the season ticket holder I bought my tickets from.  Turns out I had paid more than the face value of the ticket and they returned it to me. That was awfully sporting of them. 

Come to think of it, I remember about a year ago this black SUV pulled up in front of my house and some fellow named Terry and this other lady were in the back and they wanted to ask me a bunch of questions about why I personally felt about the stadium. Where it should go, what it should look like, how much should it cost, who should pay for it, you know, the standard fare.  It was all such a blur but I remember they took a lot of notes and thanked me profusely for my input as a Pennsylvanian.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, you're right. None of our tax money will fund any of this.  I distinctly recall getting a rebate check from NYS for the hotel taxes, sales taxes, gasoline taxes, Thruway tolls, etc. from the last time I went up there.  I also remember getting a nice phone call and an envelope of cash from the season ticket holder I bought my tickets from.  Turns out I had paid more than the face value of the ticket and they returned it to me. That was awfully sporting of them. 

Come to think of it, I remember about a year ago this black SUV pulled up in front of my house and some fellow named Terry and this other lady were in the back and they wanted to ask me a bunch of questions about why I personally felt about the stadium. Where it should go, what it should look like, how much should it cost, who should pay for it, you know, the standard fare.  It was all such a blur but I remember they took a lot of notes and thanked me profusely for my input as a Pennsylvanian.

Thanks for supporting the local motel 6 for the 2 weekends a year that your here. So sorry you had to fork over $6 in tolls for NYS. We understand how it feels. As far as gas money and sales tax in NY you are on your own. We didn’t ask you to come here for the games. I could say we don’t need you for the games either. But the fact is we do because we have a hard time selling the stadium out especially in the late fall and winter when the weather isn’t very good. You didn’t mention anything about the mooching off other people’s tailgates so I’m assuming I hit the nail there. And I’m sorry you had to pay triple face value for tickets to the game. But if you had seasons of your own and came up more than twice a year you wouldn’t have to do that. The unfortunate thing for your future is that the prices of everything is only going to go up even more with the new stadium. I wish you the best of luck in your future. Please keep coming and leaving your broken tables in the parking lots tho. It’s something we Buffalonians are very proud of. 

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry I missed that point.  I think the fact they are staying in OP means some portion of tailgating will remain. But they definitely want a portion of fans to "tailgate" inside where the new stadium will likely have some eateries and lounges. They might even build something akin to Patriot Place but on a smaller scale. 

Patriot-Place-Map-2023-11-03-1200x927.jp

I don’t see a restroom ANYWHERE. Are catheters required for every ticket purchased ?😳

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t see a restroom ANYWHERE. Are catheters required for every ticket purchased ?😳

It’ll be just like going to a game in Oakland. You just piss all over yourself. 

• Haha (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I made it to 66 5/6 years of age before needing one of those things, and I don't EVER want to get another one. 😳 Scared the nurse when I let out a yelp at insertion.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I made it to 66 5/6 years of age before needing one of those things, and I don't EVER want to get another one. 😳 Scared the nurse when I let out a yelp at insertion.

53 for me.  Just about 5 months ago.  Actually cried with relief when I took it out.  

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, mrags said:

Thanks for supporting the local motel 6 for the 2 weekends a year that your here. So sorry you had to fork over $6 in tolls for NYS. We understand how it feels. As far as gas money and sales tax in NY you are on your own. We didn’t ask you to come here for the games. I could say we don’t need you for the games either. But the fact is we do because we have a hard time selling the stadium out especially in the late fall and winter when the weather isn’t very good. You didn’t mention anything about the mooching off other people’s tailgates so I’m assuming I hit the nail there. And I’m sorry you had to pay triple face value for tickets to the game. But if you had seasons of your own and came up more than twice a year you wouldn’t have to do that. The unfortunate thing for your future is that the prices of everything is only going to go up even more with the new stadium. I wish you the best of luck in your future. Please keep coming and leaving your broken tables in the parking lots tho. It’s something we Buffalonians are very proud of. 

Sorry, I don't do the tailgate thing when I come up so those tables are yours. The hatred of expats coming home to watch games is a very odd take. I apologize that I can't make it up every weekend. Of course, even if I did and had season tickets again I don't think I'd qualify for an opinion because I still don't pay enough to be allowed one because I don't own property in NYS anymore.

The single most frustrating thing about Buffalonians as a person who used to be one and now looks back. You complain that you don't have things, then when you have something, you want to pay for it with green stamps, and then B word about those green stamps too. Take your gripes about the stadium and its cost up with your elected officials. When they win despite your complaints then understand you were in the minority. If you prevail, good on you.

Frankly I didn't ask for a new stadium either. I like the current one but blaming out of town people for your issues with the project is off base and out of line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Whenever I look at the renderings of the stadium I can't get over how awful it looks. 

I just can't believe they ***** it up so bad. SMH.

You cant really tell.  The lack of any public imagery is concerning to me, especially hearing about overruns and potential cost savings.

KeyBank Center was built on the cheap compared to its contemporaries and it is the worst venue to watch an NHL game, and parts of it are crumbling.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

You cant really tell.  The lack of any public imagery is concerning to me, especially hearing about overruns and potential cost savings.

KeyBank Center was built on the cheap compared to its contemporaries and it is the worst venue to watch an NHL game, and parts of it are crumbling.

I’m not sure what people want to know. The exterior of the stadium is going to look very similar to Tottenham….which thousands of us visited in October. The interior of the stadium is going to look like a bunch of plastic seats…just like every other stadium ever built. The only thing that ‘might be’ still to be determined is the quality of the finishes in the concourse areas. The floor plans were long ago set. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

This is a bit of an exaggeration. The odd broken cupholder and floor crack doesn't mean KBC is crumbling. I was just at the game Saturday. 

On 5/4/2023 at 3:01 PM, PBF81 said:

I hear ya, what's interesting is that they said that parking's only going to be minimally impacted this fall.  I'm not sure how that's possible as LOT 4 would seem to be all but entirely unavailable if they're really going to begin the "big digging," as will be some of the RV Lot too.  I mean they've at least gotta fence if all off for safety reasons.  

Should be interesting to be sure.  Might be the better season to hit some road games.  

Fancy things cost more. But we complain about costs. Where is the balance?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is a bit of an exaggeration. The odd broken cupholder and floor crack doesn't mean KBC is crumbling. I was just at the game Saturday. 

Fancy things cost more. But we complain about costs. Where is the balance?

Did the Sabres look anything at all like a professional hockey team that night? (Asking for a friend.) 😉

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wasn't part of the reason Orchard Park's allergy to development? When there was talk of bringing the stadium back the city, I recall seeing quotes from OP town leaders about being totally gung-ho for development now.

Was driving down Milestrip last week. Saw two lots being cleared.  Several lots have signs saying for sale/development.  The new construction buildup  is starting.

Can't start raising steel until the underground foundation is done.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did the Sabres look anything at all like a professional hockey team that night? (Asking for a friend.) 😉

They beat Columbus in OT 3-2. The Sabres problem is consistency. They give up 9 goals one night. The next they hang 9 on the Maple Leafs (which is awesome!)

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Whenever I look at the renderings of the stadium I can't get over how awful it looks. 

I just can't believe they ***** it up so bad. SMH.

I think it looks fine.  Not “absolutely stunning, dahling” by modern standards, but whatever.

It’s going to be a place to watch live football, not a wonder of the modern world.

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I think it looks fine.  Not “absolutely stunning, dahling” by modern standards, but whatever.

It’s going to be a place to watch live football, not a wonder of the modern world.

$1.5 Billion doesn’t even come close to buying you a ‘wonder of the modern world’ these days. 😉

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Especially not in WNY. Nashville's new dome is what? $2.1B?

Not anywhere. I’d be curious to see how people rank the other NFL stadiums on the Wonder of the Modern World thermometer. The only ones that might even make it on the scale might be Los Angeles, Dallas and maybe Minneapolis. The rest…..not so much. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Not anywhere. I’d be curious to see how people rank the other NFL stadiums on the Wonder of the Modern World thermometer. The only ones that might even make it on the scale might be Los Angeles, Dallas and maybe Minneapolis. The rest…..not so much. 

When Dubai gets their NFL franchise, that stadium will be a palace, literally.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Sorry, I don't do the tailgate thing when I come up so those tables are yours. The hatred of expats coming home to watch games is a very odd take. I apologize that I can't make it up every weekend. Of course, even if I did and had season tickets again I don't think I'd qualify for an opinion because I still don't pay enough to be allowed one because I don't own property in NYS anymore.

The single most frustrating thing about Buffalonians as a person who used to be one and now looks back. You complain that you don't have things, then when you have something, you want to pay for it with green stamps, and then B word about those green stamps too. Take your gripes about the stadium and its cost up with your elected officials. When they win despite your complaints then understand you were in the minority. If you prevail, good on you.

Frankly I didn't ask for a new stadium either. I like the current one but blaming out of town people for your issues with the project is off base and out of line.

I never blamed anyone for any problems. I simply stated that out of towners coming in for 1-2 games a year should just shut their mouths. They have almost zero opinion to what this stadium should be and what should be happening in and to this city. 

there really isn’t much anyone can do about the situation as it is. Fwiw I voted for the other guy so I guess I did my best when it comes to taking it up with elected officials. Unfortunately I work for this god aweful state and don’t have an out for at least another 11 years. Until then, I guess I’ll just have to live with the out of towners coming here for 2 weekends a year acting like they’re thoughts on what should be happening in my city should matter. 

And I complain about things we don’t have because we’ll, we don’t have them. Would have been nice to have a real stadium downtown. Bringing something to our city. Instead we get another useless building other than maybe 20 weekends a year with Bills games, and maybe a few concerts. But again, I have the right to complain about it because well, I freaking live here. I don’t go to other teams stadiums and complain about how things should be there. I simply go and enjoy the game and experience and leave it at that. I’m there once in a year, or maybe even once a lifetime. I’m fully aware that my opinion doesn’t mean crap. 

thank you for your wing money and helping the city sell our a game twice a year. Your contribution is appreciated. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The hatred of expats coming home to watch games is a very odd take....

blaming out of town people for your issues with the project is off base and out of line.

The City of Angry, Hateful Neighbors just doesn't have quite the same ring.

• Haha (+1) 4

22 hours ago, mrags said:

I never blamed anyone for any problems. I simply stated that out of towners coming in for 1-2 games a year should just shut their mouths. They have almost zero opinion to what this stadium should be and what should be happening in and to this city. 

there really isn’t much anyone can do about the situation as it is. Fwiw I voted for the other guy so I guess I did my best when it comes to taking it up with elected officials. Unfortunately I work for this god aweful state and don’t have an out for at least another 11 years. Until then, I guess I’ll just have to live with the out of towners coming here for 2 weekends a year acting like they’re thoughts on what should be happening in my city should matter. 

And I complain about things we don’t have because we’ll, we don’t have them. Would have been nice to have a real stadium downtown. Bringing something to our city. Instead we get another useless building other than maybe 20 weekends a year with Bills games, and maybe a few concerts. But again, I have the right to complain about it because well, I freaking live here. I don’t go to other teams stadiums and complain about how things should be there. I simply go and enjoy the game and experience and leave it at that. I’m there once in a year, or maybe even once a lifetime. I’m fully aware that my opinion doesn’t mean crap. 

thank you for your wing money and helping the city sell our a game twice a year. Your contribution is appreciated. 

image.png.d107b967520e4ef8b4a036af90207ba6.png

😁

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

The crazy thing is the stadium is gonna cost  1.7 or 1.8 billion. The new Titans stadium with a translucent dome is gonna be 2.1 billion. So for basically the same cost we could've had a stadium like that. 

So let me see if I understand your math. You add all of the cost overruns and inflation to the Bills stadium but not to the Titans new one? There’s no free lunch in construction and certainly not on projects as complex as these ones. Things cost what they cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

The crazy thing is the stadium is gonna cost  1.7 or 1.8 billion. The new Titans stadium with a translucent dome is gonna be 2.1 billion. So for basically the same cost we could've had a stadium like that. 

In New York State?  lol

22 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Not sure what it is exactly but it looks horrible to me. Lol

I'd honestly rather just keep playing at the Ralph. 

definitely agree with you there.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

The difference is cost of labor and graft in WNY. Here it costs $3+ billion.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The difference is cost of labor and graft in WNY. Here it costs $3+ billion.

This shouldn’t be shocking to anyone. Costs are not the same across the country especially in construction/ real estate….and it isn’t because of graft. My home in Southern California cost way more than a standard home in either Buffalo or Nashville….or just about anywhere in the country for that matter. All you have to do is check out an episode or two of House Hunters on HGTV and you’ll be utterly amazed at the variation of home prices across the country. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This shouldn’t be shocking to anyone. Costs are not the same across the country especially in construction/ real estate….and it isn’t because of graft. My home in Southern California cost way more than a standard home in either Buffalo or Nashville….or just about anywhere in the country for that matter. All you have to do is check out an episode or two of House Hunters on HGTV and you’ll be utterly amazed at the variation of home prices across the country. 

Home prices, sure. But are construction prices that different? Why does a stadium in Tennessee cost 60% of one in WNY? (I can guess.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

i-sell-used-8-track-tapes-wife-and-i-han

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Home prices, sure. But are construction prices that different? Why does a stadium in Tennessee cost 60% of one in WNY? (I can guess.)

Depends a lot on the funding stream; government projects often have requirements for union wages, set asides for special-designation contractors (veteran-owned, woman-owned, etc).  This ramps ou the cost on top of the local economy conditions.