Von Miller-I feel great and positive that I'll be ready to go early in the season

dave mcbride

He will be back earlier than Tre was. It was mental with Tre. The Bills have almost said as much without saying it. Leslie said in a presser last year in one of the weeks after they had activated him but when he wasn't yet doing anything. Something along the lines of "we have been working on getting him mentally ready to go because that's an big part of it." People presumed they just meant the normal mental humps of taking your first hits at the time.... but when you see how Tre played.... I'm not sure how comfortable he even was being out there. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

As I said elsewhere, he tore his ACL at the same point of the 2013 season (game 10) and was an all pro the next season. Didn't miss a game. And it's not like he had a catastrophic tear this time around. It was the opposite. 

Ok but that was also at what 24 years old? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

As time passes, I tend to think getting Von will be a mistake. He's old and has a lot of mileage on him.

Of course, he's elite when he plays. However, he hardly plays. Do you really want to invest in a guy that's on a pitch count? However, I do like the all in attitude. Too bad, that wasn't the case for the offense. An AJ Brown , CMC, or Tyreke would have looked good in a Bills uniform. 

As far as Von teaching the young guys. Just look at the Cinci game and ask yourself how did the young guys do. They sucked to be blunt. Von was no where to be found after he was injuried. Not on the sidelines or in the locker room. Some leadership there...I'm not buying what he's selling. 

The minute he was injured it became a bad signing.  But in Von's defense, he was playing well before the injury and it's not his fault that it happened.  

As for the other "mentor" stuff, it seems like a cheap shot on your part.  They (D Line) all to a T said it was a huge plus having Von around to teach them the tricks of the trade.  I'm sure it made a difference over the course of the season.  To blame him for the line's performance against Cincinnati is ridiculous, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

The minute he was injured it became a bad signing.  But in Von's defense, he was playing well before the injury and it's not his fault that it happened.  

As for the other "mentor" stuff, it seems like a cheap shot on your part.  They (D Line) all to a T said it was a huge plus having Von around to teach them the tricks of the trade.  I'm sure it made a difference over the course of the season.  To blame him for the line's performance against Cincinnati is ridiculous, imo. 

I just merely pointed out the young Bills D line sucked vs Cinci. Whatever Von taught them or didn't teach them didn't seem to pay off. 

Funny how other are willing to give Vin such credit but yet refuse to look the other way as well. 

If Von was truly invested in the team he would have been present during the playoffs. A vocal leader on the sidelines. I remember saying to myself where is Von? He seemingly disappeared? Maybe I'm wrong here? Perhaps, he couldn't stand or it was against medical advice. 

Now fast forward to the present and he's singing a praise the Bills culture. 

Just now, TBBills Fan said:

Von is doing great as a GM in training because I dont believe anything he says lol

Thank you. That's the impression I'm getting too. 

• Like (+1) 1

To hear some talk around here, you'd think 34 is ancient. When it comes to healing, that is still very young.  I've had some pretty serious injuries at 40+ and healed pretty fast(shattered radius bone that had to be put back together with a plate and 9 screws).  Recovered to full motion and strength too.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

To hear some talk around here, you'd think 34 is ancient. When it comes to healing, that is still very young.  I've had some pretty serious injuries at 40+ and healed pretty fast(shattered radius bone that had to be put back together with a plate and 9 screws).  Recovered to full motion and strength too.

Wrist vs knee are entirely different. Bone vs ligament is entirely different.  

And yes age matters for elite athletes. 

• Agree 1

Even if Von Miller is cleared by doctors and ready to go, I'm not sure Sean McDermott will put him on the field.

The whole reason they signed him was to get over the hump in the playoffs.  Then they went and lost him for the playoffs.

I can see them holding him out until November and then giving him a gradual ramp-up for the postseason (similar to Tre White last year).

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wrist vs knee are entirely different. Bone vs ligament is entirely different.  

And yes age matters for elite athletes. 

Haha, the bone shattered all the way up to the hand and yes, ligaments were obliterated. Just saying, age plays a part, but not like some are suggesting.

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

As time passes, I tend to think getting Von will be a mistake. He's old and has a lot of mileage on him.

Of course, he's elite when he plays. However, he hardly plays. Do you really want to invest in a guy that's on a pitch count? However, I do like the all in attitude. Too bad, that wasn't the case for the offense. An AJ Brown , CMC, or Tyreke would have looked good in a Bills uniform. 

As far as Von teaching the young guys. Just look at the Cinci game and ask yourself how did the young guys do. They sucked to be blunt. Von was no where to be found after he was injuried. Not on the sidelines or in the locker room. Some leadership there...I'm not buying what he's selling. 

I hated the Von contract when we did it because of his age, hate it even worse now.  We sure could use that 20m a year on offense

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Just took a peak at spotrac.  Miller’s cap hit jumps from 8mil in 2023 to 24mil in 2024.  Good luck with the Bills cap situation being any better next season. 

Beane better find a way to hit a few home runs in the draft next week. 

As I just stated, I think the signing/contract was a bad one

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Von has a presser saying he is feels great and positive I can go early in the season.

TSW response, "hated the signing" and he's ready for the glue factory.  LOL, this place cracks me up.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing! What do you think the same people would be saying if he stayed healthy and won the SB? The VERY SAME PEOPLE. 

We’ll never know what might have been. 

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Von has a presser saying he is feels great and positive I can go early in the season.

TSW response, "hated the signing" and he's ready for the glue factory.  LOL, this place cracks me up.

Not sure if that was said, if so I didn't see it....

I think most ppl are just pointing out the fact that he is 10 years older and may not recover quite as quickly from this injury like he did 10 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hindsight is a beautiful thing! What do you think the same people would be saying if he stayed healthy and won the SB? The VERY SAME PEOPLE. 

We’ll never know what might have been. 

I can't even fathom a guess.  I'm sure it would amuse me in some way as yet unimagined.

12 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I think most ppl are just pointing out the fact that he is 10 years older and may not recover quite as quickly from this injury like he did 10 years ago. 

Just trying to counter some of the cynicism that is prevailing on the board recently and having a chuckle doing it.

It's all good.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Just trying to counter some of the cynicism that is prevailing on the board recently and having a chuckle doing it.

It's all good.

I like balance. A lot. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Thank you. Very well said. Colorado Bills definitely twisted what was said. 

Not surprising as anything considered negative usually gets resistance. 

I think you set the record straight here. 👍

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Even if Von Miller is cleared by doctors and ready to go, I'm not sure Sean McDermott will put him on the field.

The whole reason they signed him was to get over the hump in the playoffs.  Then they went and lost him for the playoffs.

I can see them holding him out until November and then giving him a gradual ramp-up for the postseason (similar to Tre White last year).

That's called playing scared. Players need to play and be in game shape. 

Maybe he shouldn't even practice because he might get injuried. 

You do realize his injury was a non contact injury. Pretty much a fluke. 

I guess you are OK paying a guy 20MIL to be on a pitch count. Somehow that seems strange to me.

On 4/19/2023 at 5:00 AM, dave mcbride said:

White had a different injury. I know they both had "acl tears," but from what I read White sustained more damage than a simple tear - he had significant meniscus damage. Miller and the doctors didn't even know his injury was a tear until a couple of weeks later. Anyway, he's older, but he's still obviously elite. He was one of the best DEs in the league last before getting hurt. Call me crazy, but I fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on next season. I don't think the injuries are as comparable as one might think, and anyway for Miller it's clearly not presenting mental hurdles (as it did for White).

You "fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on"?

I'd argue that falls much closer to "desperately hope" than something that should be fully expected.

I certainly hope you're right, but 34 year-olds just do not heal at the same rate as youngsters, or at least very few do. The doctor from Banged Up Bills was on Cover1 within the last couple of days and he doesn't expect him to even play early in the season.

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's called playing scared. Players need to play and be in game shape. 

Maybe he shouldn't even practice because he might get injuried. 

You do realize his injury was a non contact injury. Pretty much a fluke. 

I guess you are OK paying a guy 20MIL to be on a pitch count. Somehow that seems strange to me.

The people who call that "playing scared" are eejits.

You can be in game shape and still need more time to re-train your brain for confidence in the area. These guys aren't supermen, no matter how much we would sometimes like them to be. The mind-to-muscle link has been broken and it can take some time to get it back, and that process doesn't even really start much till you're given the full go in your physical recovery.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You "fully expect him to be playing at a high level very early on"?

I'd argue that falls much closer to "desperately hope" than something that should be fully expected.

I certainly hope you're right, but 34 year-olds just do not heal at the same rate as youngsters, or at least very few do. The doctor from Banged Up Bills was on Cover1 within the last couple of days and he doesn't expect him to even play early in the season.

The people who call that "playing scared" are eejits.

You can be in game shape and still need more time to re-train your brain for confidence in the area. These guys aren't robots, no matter how much we would sometimes like them to be.

You get in game shape by playing. It's really that simple Thurman. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

You get in game shape by playing. It's really that simple Thurman. 

Yeah, it's that simple ... if you're desperate to kid yourself.

In the real world, though, it's a long complicated process with a ton of steps along the way.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, it's that simple ... if you're desperate to kid yourself.

In the real world, though, it's a long complicated process with a ton of steps along the way.

Of course there are steps along the way. However, you are kidding yourself if you think players can just turn it on game time. Practice and preparation isn't game time, speed,  pressure, or contact. 

Von can ride the bike, rehab, do wind sprints, participate in practice, etc.. Then suddenly appear in a game and play lights out. I'm not sure what world your living in. Sports don't work that way. Maybe he Will be a first...

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course there are steps along the way. However, you are kidding yourself if you think players can just turn it on game time. Practice and preparation isn't game time, speed,  pressure, or contact. 

Von can ride the bike, rehab, do wind sprints, participate in practice, etc.. Then suddenly appear in a game and play lights out. I'm not sure what world your living in. Sports don't work that way. Maybe he Will be a first...

Um, yeah. I would never argue that. 

What I did say, and you appeared to argue (perhaps I misunderstood?) is that reaching full physical readiness automatically means you are there. Being physically completely ready does not mean you are ready. You appeared to call that "playing scared," and that is just wrong.

Being physically completely ready is a step. But there's more left. And that includes far more than just getting into football shape.

Every person is different. Every body is different. Every mind is different. And every mind-body connection is different. Some people need almost no extra time, but a very large majority need either a little or a lot of time beyond that.

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, yeah. I would never argue that. 

What I did say, and you appeared to argue (perhaps I misunderstood?) is that reaching full physical readiness automatically means you are there. Being physically completely ready does not mean you are ready. You appeared to call that "playing scared," and that is just wrong.

Being physically completely ready is a step. But there's more left. And that includes far more than just getting into football shape.

Every person is different. Every body is different. Every mind is different. And every mind-body connection is different. Some people need almost no extra time, but a very large majority need either a little or a lot of time beyond that.

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

It's all good Thurman. I like the banter back and forth with you. 

I appreciate your intelligence and challenging my mindset. 

I feel like a lot of people have missed this post and it's very informative.  Thanks you @LOVEMESOMEBILLS

On 4/18/2023 at 4:41 PM, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

His message has been consistent since about 10 days after surgery when he was on the Pat Mcafee show. Doctors told him he should be back by August and he was hoping to beat that time frame.

Apparently a 2nd ACL surgery is easier if holes that were drilled in your bone are still in good shape and can be reused. They were, per Von. He said it cuts down on recovery time and rehab can be accelerated because you don't have to wait for the bone to heal up.

He also said he didn't use a brace or crutches after the 1st few days and was walking up and down stairs in a week with a normal gait. Something that did not happen after his 1st ACL surgery.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's early May and the dude is lifting 240 lbs while on one leg

A good sign for sure - but It's lateral stability/movement that matters the most.  People thinking he will be ready week 1 are being a tad overly optimistic IMO

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

A good sign for sure - but It's lateral stability/movement that matters the most.  People thinking he will be ready week 1 are being a tad overly optimistic IMO

He played 9 games before the last time he tore his acl....he then played 16 games the following season and had 14 sacks

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He played 9 games before the last time he tore his acl....he then played 16 games the following season and had 14 sacks

I hope he has monster season like everyone else, but he is 34 now. I don't know how realistic it is for him to be ready by week 1. How effective will he be as well. Again 34.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.