AJ Klein Expected to Sign with Bills

Warriorspikes51

26 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We are not drafting a LB day one two IMO. We only play two linebackers on the field and one of them is a first team all-pro. We are not in desperate need of another high-quality linebacker to put on the field. We will roll with Dodson, Bernard and Klein. Probably draft another on Day 3. 

Teams are only as strong as their weakest player.  Good opponents know how exploit.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s fine. This is the most boring off-season besides Allen gossip. 

I get the saying but there are a lot of garbage players on championship teams. 

It's probably more correct to say "ordinary" players... rather then "garbage" players. There's a lot of space between "all Pro" and "garbage".

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Teams are only as strong as their weakest player.  Good opponents know how exploit.

If we get to a point next season where our starting base defense is as follows:

Von-Daquan-Oliver-Rousseau

Klein-Milano

T. Johnson

Elam-White

Hyde-Poyer

I'll take my chances.  

I'm perfectly content going into next season with Klein, Bernard, Spector and Dodson battling it out to start next to Milano.  Also factor in Rapp, who I have to believe was signed to play a hybrid LB/S role, and I'm willing to roll the dice on those pieces competing for the one spot on our Defense that doesn't have massive investment (even though there is still a recent Day 2 pick in the mix).  

• Agree 5

LB1

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we get to a point next season where our starting base defense is as follows:

Von-Daquan-Oliver-Rousseau

Klein-Milano

T. Johnson

Elam-White

Hyde-Poyer

I'll take my chances.  

I'm perfectly content going into next season with Klein, Bernard, Spector and Dodson battling it out to start next to Milano.  Also factor in Rapp, who I have to believe was signed to play a hybrid LB/S role, and I'm willing to roll the dice on those pieces competing for the one spot on our Defense that doesn't have massive investment (even though there is still a recent Day 2 pick in the mix).  

This.

Give me a big guy at 27 or a playmaker for Josh.

7 hours ago, Yantha said:

Sorry but I just disagree with all that. 

You disagree with the question about "Why would we have a cap penalty to move on from Klein?"

You disagree with the question "What better options are there in FA at his price point?"?

It's all very well to say in the abstract "I'd rather have a younger option with upside as a situational player and backup", but who exactly do you have in mind?

7 hours ago, Yantha said:

And he'll be 33 this year, and slower, more injury prone etc.  I'm reading a lot of excuses above, and I'd rather have a younger option with upside as a "situational player, and backup". 

32 actually.  31 now, and his birthday's in July, but that's a nit.  'Zo Alexander was 33 when he signed in Buffalo in 2016, and played for 4 years, until he was 37.  The last year, he was slowing down a lot, but he still contributed.   Klein has never been a player who depended upon his speed and athleticism, but rather on his understanding of the game and his ability to diagnose the opposing defense quickly and read-and-react.

The Bills are critically depending upon Poyer (same age as Klein, 32), Hyde (6 months older, will be 33 in Dec), and Von Miller (2 years older, 34).  So frankly if being 32 makes a player "slower and more injury prone" and we should therefore not roster him, the Bills are in Deep Kim Chee with their starting safety duo and star DE all that age or older.

I appreciate your kind words, but frankly, it's very easy to sit there and crap on a move but a lot harder to identify the better move the team should have made, and you appear to be following that principle at present. 

The fact is, this guy over the last 3 seasons and including a game last season, has played very capably as a backup LB for the Bills - not on a star level, but capably.  He started for Edmunds ahead of Dodson, Bernard, Spector in Week 12 vs the Lions because the coaches perceived him as the best choice at the time.  Now hopefully, that changes with another year and an off-season under Bernard and Spector's belts, and hopefully re-signing him won't keep the Bills from making a move in the draft.  But I don't see how putting a capable vet who is knowledgeable in our defensive system (and capable of playing in it as recently as Week 12 last season) in the room with 2 second year LBs (and maybe a rookie) to watch film and diagnose defenses in any way makes the Bills a weaker team

Having looked over the FA list (signed and unsigned), I don't see a clear choice that meets your criteria either.  I would have liked to see the Bills pursue Lavonte David harder, but he's even older than Klein (33). 

I don't want to argue with you, but since you seem very strong in this view, I think it's only fair to ask you who you believe the Bills should have gone after instead.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

AJ is the backup QB of linebackers. He's a "team player" and a "locker room guy" and apparently that trumps talent and gets you a few extra years in the league. He's the Matt Barkley of the defense

Come on man.  AJ Klein has talent.  You don't play a decade in the NFL if you don't have a decent amount of talent.  Is he a physical freak?  Of course not.  But he understands playing defense and where he is supposed to be on the field.  And he can hit you.  He will be in the mix for playing time at LB.  Our defense doesn't need to be great.  It just needs to be good.  We need to draft offense.  We need more weapons for Josh Allen.  Draft a WR, OT and TE in the first 3 rounds.  And our offense can be top 3 in the NFL with Josh Allen.  Sprinkle in a little more grit and savvy on defense, and we will be tough to beat.  Klein brings us that.  A healthy Poyer and Hyde brings us that.  Taylor Rapp brings us that.  Edmunds did not.  Frazier did not.  Beane just needs to hit on some big time guys on the offensive side of the ball.  Because he certainly can not draft D Lineman to save his life.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Regarding Klein...a couple years ago I watched him and declared him "the worst player I've ever seen."  Hated him.  Then, a couple weeks later they apparently figured out how to use him, or he switched bodies with somebody, but he turned into a beast.  He was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week.  And I had a crow tartare for lunch that day.

I'm glad they brought him back.  

You should have had a bag of stale donuts.

7 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Just like Lawson, Klein is a good depth vet signing at a low cap hit. He’s better at stopping the run and rushing the passer than Edmunds is. But Edmunds is better at pass coverage.

I like this move, there wasn’t much to do about MLB other than reach in the first round, which would be a mistake.

I like this move but prove to me he is better at stopping the run.  The data  doesnt agree for the games he played for Edmunds.  I think the only game where you can argue he stopped the run better than edmunds is the Detroit game last year.  His other games in substitution of Edmunds (2021 Colts, 2021 NYJ #1) would suggest hes worse than Edmunds.  

Edited by YattaOkasan

I had started a thread a while back, saying that I had wish they would bring klien back

Especially because they didn’t go after any veteran linebackers in free agency

You can’t use him the same way you did Edmonds, but that doesn’t mean this is not a good player. Having a veteran presents on the team that actually won’t look horrible is a good idea because we don’t know what’s gonna happen in the draft.

The only linebacker I really want out of the draft is Captain Jack and whenever you only have one player that you think fits the bill, you have to cover yourself because there’s no guarantee that you get that player we don’t even know if the bills want that player

• Like (+1) 3

Devin White is the move that would make a huge difference for our defense. He would be like bringing in Cornelius Bennett for a LB needy team. He’s the perfect replacement for Edmunds. Beane needs to be bold this season. All these options like Klein, Dodson, Bernard,  or a3rd rd draft choice don’t move the needle. The Bucs may not want to move him but if he wants out and Beane is aggressive enough, he could be had.

• Dislike 1

19 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Come on man.  AJ Klein has talent.  You don't play a decade in the NFL if you don't have a decent amount of talent.  Is he a physical freak?  Of course not.  But he understands playing defense and where he is supposed to be on the field.  And he can hit you.  He will be in the mix for playing time at LB.  Our defense doesn't need to be great.  It just needs to be good.  We need to draft offense.  We need more weapons for Josh Allen.  Draft a WR, OT and TE in the first 3 rounds.  And our offense can be top 3 in the NFL with Josh Allen.  Sprinkle in a little more grit and savvy on defense, and we will be tough to beat.  Klein brings us that.  A healthy Poyer and Hyde brings us that.  Taylor Rapp brings us that.  Edmunds did not.  Frazier did not.  Beane just needs to hit on some big time guys on the offensive side of the ball.  Because he certainly can not draft D Lineman to save his life.  

Some of the best said stuff in quite some time. I concur.

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I had started a thread a while back, saying that I had wish they would bring klien back

Especially because they didn’t go after any veteran linebackers in free agency

You can’t use him the same way you did Edmonds, but that doesn’t mean this is not a good player. Having a veteran presents on the team that actually won’t look horrible is a good idea because we don’t know what’s gonna happen in the draft.

The only linebacker I really want out of the draft is Captain Jack and whenever you only have one player that you think fits the bill, you have to cover yourself because there’s no guarantee that you get that player we don’t even know if the bills want that player

More very well said stuff. Today has been some good reads.👍

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Devin White is the move that would make a huge difference for our defense. He would be like bringing in Cornelius Bennett for a LB needy team. He’s the perfect replacement for Edmunds. Beane needs to be bold this season. All these options like Klein, Dodson, Bernard,  or a3rd rd draft choice don’t move the needle. The Bucs may not want to move him but if he wants out and Beane is aggressive enough, he could be had.

I had originally thought along those lines....but White's game isn't that great and he has effort issues 

I guess Jack Campbell in the 2nd would be okay....and seems to be extremely popular amongst fans.

I'd rather just add 1 more cheap vet like Cunningham or a summer camp cut (never know who may become available)

& invest the premium picks in Offense 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I had originally thought along those lines....but White's game isn't that great and he has effort issues 

I guess Jack Campbell in the 2nd would be okay....and seems to be extremely popular amongst fans.

I'd rather just add 1 more cheap vet like Cunningham or a summer camp cut (never know who may become available)

& invest the premium picks in Offense 

Your assessment of White is not fair and based on a year where the whole Buc defense and team was disfunctional. How about his body of work for the rest of his career. You. want to dumpster dive to replace a very talented LB who covered up many deficiencies in our defense, it won’t result in us being better.

53 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

He’s been god awful in coverage the last couple years. Like…. Really bad.  Why do you think that would change if he came to Buffalo?

what would you want to give up for him and would you sign him to an extension? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Devin White’s been god awful in coverage the last couple years. Like…. Really bad.  Why do you think that would change if he came to Buffalo?

In addition to his reputation exceeding his play, there's this:

"White is heading into the fifth-year option season of his rookie contract, which means he has a guaranteed salary of $11.706 million this season and then becomes an unrestricted free agent in 11 months. Any trade of White would likely involve his new team also agreeing to sign him to a new contract."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/11/report-buccaneers-have-zero-intention-of-trading-devin-white/

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s been god awful in coverage the last couple years. Like…. Really bad.  Why do you think that would change if he came to Buffalo?

Say what you want about his shortcomings, but the had 6 sacks, 73 solo tackles with 57 assisted. He’s the captain of a defense that had big time players who produced prior to last year. He’s a veteran presence alongside Milano and can be great in pressure packages. I would give a 2nd in this year’s draft and a conditional pick in 2024. Naturally, I would try to extend him.

41 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Say what you want about his shortcomings, but the had 6 sacks, 73 solo tackles with 57 assisted. He’s the captain of a defense that had big time players who produced prior to last year. He’s a veteran presence alongside Milano and can be great in pressure packages. I would give a 2nd in this year’s draft and a conditional pick in 2024. Naturally, I would try to extend him.

6 sacks and he had tackles….. as a Mike.  We had a Mike lead the league in tackles.  His name was Preston Brown and he stunk.    

How about coverage?  It’s a passing league and we need our Mike to be able to cover.  He’s shown that he’s one of the worst coverage mikes in the league.  So we’re going to trade a or multiple draft picks for a Mike that can’t cover and we’re supposed to resign him long term?  

you’d trade a 2nd and a pick next year?  
oh man.  I’d trade a 5th and I wouldn’t extend him.  

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

6 sacks and he had tackles….. as a Mike.  We had a Mike lead the league in tackles.  His name was Preston Brown and he stunk.    

How about coverage?  It’s a passing league and we need our Mike to be able to cover.  He’s shown that he’s one of the worst coverage mikes in the league.  So we’re going to trade a or multiple draft picks for a Mike that can’t cover and we’re supposed to resign him long term?  

you’d trade a 2nd and a pick next year?  
oh man.  I’d trade a 5th and I wouldn’t extend him.  

OK, I know you’re a serious NFL observer, knowledgeable about 32 teams personnel, but what metric are you basing your criticism of White on. In 2021 they were 3rd in pass defense and last year when their defense was injured and disappointing, their pass defense was 8th. Don’t insult yourself comparing White to Preston Brown. How many playoff wins or SBs does Brown have? The reason I didn’t say a 3rd was because I don’t think a 3rd would get it done. Weren’t you one of the Edmunds killers last year as well?When this team struggles with pressuring the QB and run defense with the LB corp on the roster or a rookie, remember them not bringing in a veteran leader who has a body of work and has been winner. It didn’t have to be White but Edmunds made a difference and he has not been replaced.

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

OK, I know you’re a serious NFL observer, knowledgeable about 32 teams personnel, but what metric are you basing your criticism of White on. In 2021 they were 3rd in pass defense and last year when their defense was injured and disappointing, their pass defense was 8th. Don’t insult yourself comparing White to Preston Brown. How many playoff wins or SBs does Brown have? The reason I didn’t say a 3rd was because I don’t think a 3rd would get it done. Weren’t you one of the Edmunds killers last year as well?When this team struggles with pressuring the QB and run defense with the LB corp on the roster or a rookie, remember them not bringing in a veteran leader who has a body of work and has been winner. It didn’t have to be White but Edmunds made a difference and he has not been replaced.

“They” being 3rd in pass D doesn’t mean “he” was good in pass D.  

Spending a second round pick and wasting its 4 year rookie salary on an overrated LB that can’t cover and signing that guy to a big extension might be the worst possible move Beane could make. Just awful. 

Edmunds killer?  Does anyone here  think I was an edmunds killer?  I’ve said the same thing about edmunds his first 4 years-  if he continues to play like he had been, he won’t be worth his next contract.  I never said he was bad.  I said he was an average to an above average LB. He played much better in 2022.  I was hoping we could sign him for 12-14M aav but figured someone would pay a lot more.  Someone did and I’m glad we didn’t try and match it.  He was overpaid imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“They” being 3rd in pass D doesn’t mean “he” was good in pass D.  

Spending a second round pick and wasting its 4 year rookie salary on an overrated LB that can’t cover and signing that guy to a big extension might be the worst possible move Beane could make. Just awful. 

Edmunds killer?  Does anyone here  think I was an edmunds killer?  I’ve said the same thing about edmunds his first 4 years-  if he continues to play like he had been, he won’t be worth his next contract.  I never said he was bad.  I said he was an average to an above average LB. He played much better in 2022.  I was hoping we could sign him for 12-14M aav but figured someone would pay a lot more.  Someone did and I’m glad we didn’t try and match it.  He was overpaid imo.  

How many Devin Whites are there at pick 59 in this year’s draft? You self styled capologists are all worried about sacrificing a 2 rd rookie contract for an “overrated LB”. Half the 2rd draft choices never get to year 4. Again he’s overrated because New Era, who watched him in 3 games last year says so and who denigrates every personal and team statistic that says otherwise. Remember, on a team that won a SB in his 2nd year and was one play away from going to the NFC championship the next year with him having great years in both, he’s calling signals and is Captain.The Bills defense is overrated and in a make or break year, in Josh’s prime, we’re counting on the same D-line, without the Miller for who knows, and without Edmunds. You think this team as presently constructed can stop the new look AFCE and the 1st place finishers on our schedule?

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

How many Devin Whites are there at pick 59 in this year’s draft? You self styled capologists are all worried about sacrificing a 2 rd rookie contract for an “overrated LB”. Half the 2rd draft choices never get to year 4. Again he’s overrated because New Era, who watched him in 3 games last year says so and who denigrates every personal and team statistic that says otherwise. Remember, on a team that won a SB in his 2nd year and was one play away from going to the NFC championship the next year with him having great years in both, he’s calling signals and is Captain.The Bills defense is overrated and in a make or break year, in Josh’s prime, we’re counting on the same D-line, without the Miller for who knows, and without Edmunds. You think this team as presently constructed can stop the new look AFCE and the 1st place finishers on our schedule?

We’ll wait and see what Beane does.  

Does anyone on the board, other than @Eastport bills and @FireChansthink it’s a good idea to trade a 2nd rd pick + a future pick for White + sign him to an extension?  How much aav for the extension? 

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Does anyone on the board, other than @Eastport bills and @FireChansthink it’s a good idea to trade a 2nd rd pick + a future pick for White + sign him to an extension?  How much aav for the extension? 

Should we care what the fans on the board agree with? Half of them wanted Edmunds traded for a late model blocking sled. Name for me the 2nd rounder, we drafted, that were productive (other than Edmunds) and were starters before they were dumped. The draft is a crapshoot, White is perfect for our situation. I can’t help the fact that Beane overpaid for many FAs and we’re in cap purgatory.

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Should we care what the fans on the board agree with? Half of them wanted Edmunds traded for a late model blocking sled. Name for me the 2nd rounder, we drafted, that were productive (other than Edmunds) and were starters before they were dumped. The draft is a crapshoot, White is perfect for our situation. I can’t help the fact that Beane overpaid for many FAs and we’re in cap purgatory.

A LB due to make 10m this season and bigger bucks after this season is NOT perfect for this situation.  Trading a 2nd round pick and a pick this year makes him even less perfect.  The salary cap is real.  It’s the reason that Tremaine is gone. But we should trade draft picks for a lesser player that will want to get paid the same.  

using Beanes last 2nd round picks as reason to make the trade is laughable.  Cook is a very good player and will be a big part of our offense going forward.  Just because 3 other picks look to be busts doesn’t change the fact that he can still hit a home run this year by potentially adding a 4 year rookie contract to the starting lineup for 3-4 years.  Assuming that he will pick a bad players is just ignorant.  

agree to disagree.  

10 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

So again, how much do you want to sign Devin White for?  What contract?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hell no.  The unspoken plan has been to divert salaries/cost from the defense to offense.  Signing D White would be moving in the opposite direction. 

The FO let Edmunds go, played hard ball w Poyer, and probably is still contemplating moves with Oliver.  They let Frazier leave and have put more emphasis on defensive scheming in the hands of McD, to do more with less.

I think/hope if any splash move is to be made, it would be for WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A LB due to make 10m this season and bigger bucks after this season is NOT perfect for this situation.  Trading a 2nd round pick and a pick this year makes him even less perfect.  The salary cap is real.  It’s the reason that Tremaine is gone. But we should trade draft picks for a lesser player that will want to get paid the same.  

using Beanes last 2nd round picks as reason to make the trade is laughable.  Cook is a very good player and will be a big part of our offense going forward.  Just because 3 other picks look to be busts doesn’t change the fact that he can still hit a home run this year by potentially adding a 4 year rookie contract to the starting lineup for 3-4 years.  Assuming that he will pick a bad players is just ignorant.  

agree to disagree.  

So again, how much do you want to sign Devin White for?  What contract?  

You’re diminishing Beane’s inability to get Wagner,David, Kendrick, Okereke, Singleton, Edwards or Bush for less. Why can’t you accept we couldn’t stop Miami twice (once with a 3rd string QB)Cinn. twice, and it is no guarantee we will address the LB void in the first 3 picks. I’m not saying his picks won’t be good, even later rounds, but I know how active Edmunds was and what kind of player is needed. That player is not on the roster. Ignorant is  a bad choice of words, especially since we’re all just taking a position.

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

You’re diminishing Beane’s inability to get Wagner,David, Kendrick, Okereke, Singleton, Edwards or Bush for less. Why can’t you accept we couldn’t stop Miami twice (once with a 3rd string QB)Cinn. twice, and it is no guarantee we will address the LB void in the first 3 picks. I’m not saying his picks won’t be good, even later rounds, but I know how active Edmunds was and what kind of player is needed. That player is not on the roster. Ignorant is  a bad choice of words, especially since we’re all just taking a position.

“Why can’t you accept we couldn’t stop Miami twice?”  Lol.  Talk about moving the goalposts.  Now I remember why I haven’t quoted any of your posts for a long time.  

why can’t you accept that we scored 10 points in the AFCCF with a completely healthy OFFENSIVE roster.  The Miami games you speak of, we were missing all pro players on DEFENSE and others were injured. The O was healthy and couldn’t move the ball….. vs the bengals D.  

I won’t be back to this conversation.  👋🏻 

Edited by NewEra

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“Why can’t you accept we couldn’t stop Miami twice?”  Lol.  Talk about moving the goalposts.  Now I remember why I haven’t quoted any of your posts for a long time.  

why can’t you accept that we scored 10 points in the AFCCF with a completely healthy OFFENSIVE roster.  The Miami games you speak of, we were missing all pro players on DEFENSE and others were injured. The O was healthy and couldn’t move the ball….. vs the bengals D.  

I won’t be back to this conversation.  👋🏻 

No excuses for injuries. Miller’s coming off an ACL, Hyde.was out but the defense got pushed around. We brought in a decent safety but lost Edmunds. Look at Florio’s post on doing nothing with the cap space to make Josh’s life easier. With all the restructuring of contracts, we haven’t improved the defense or added meaningful offensive weapons. Do you think your knee jerk judgments on players and your blessings on contracts make it an honor to get a response from you. You’re just a guy that takes himself too seriously. 

On 4/17/2023 at 7:35 AM, SCBills said:

Im certainly not a Beane/McDermott apologist but I like this team much better than last years team already.  

McGovern >>> Saffold

Harty & Sherfield have more potential than McKenzie & Street FA’s

Harris makes more sense on this team than Singletary

Year 2 of Dorsey and Year 2 of Kromer

On Defense, we lost Edmunds and added Rapp.   Sure, we’ve technically downgraded on this side of the ball, but it’s one position (MLB) and we modestly improved on Offense before the Draft. 

I’ll take it.  

Chiefs and Bengals both lost some talent as well.  Sure, the Dolphins and, presumably, Jets got better but we can only worry about ourselves and with Allen, we still clear both those teams talent-wise. 

Harris is the one major improvement and everyone blaming the line for our running game will see how average Singeltary was

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.