If Hopkins not available, then what? We DO need another good WR!

Deadstroke

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

There are always receivers that come out of these drafts in later rounds that turn out to be stars (Tyreek Hill, Michael Thomas etc).  As long as the Bills draft with one of their 6 picks, I'll keep the faith.

But this is a pretty bad receiver draft. It is bad draft period. Sure there could be a late round star (Thomas was a 2nd rounder, not really a late pick) but banking on that is not sound IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But this is a pretty bad receiver draft. It is bad draft period. Sure there could be a late round star (Thomas was a 2nd rounder, not really a late pick) but banking on that is not sound IMO.

I agree with you that this is not a great draft.  I would hope the Bills take a WR early, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Based on this synopsis the Bills aren't likely to improve enough to compete with the KCs and Cinci's of the league. Look out because Miami and a Rodgers led Jets team are salavating. 

Run it back and see what happens sort of speak. Weaknesses in the trenches is likely the achilles heel of the team. Team weaknesses still appear to be plentiful. What happens when injuries occur? 

I don't understand what more we could've done for OL in 1 free agency than this year. Likely upgraded 2 starters.... or upgraded 1 starter, and added a versatile backup with no drop off in talent.

We still have a draft lol what's with the crying here

Allen Robinson is getting cheaper by the day..... He was THE MAN in Chicago not long ago, and was BADLY misused in LA with bad play calling overcompensated to Kupp.  Only went to Robinson when it was obvious....

I think Robinson could be a legit #2 on the roster.  Give him a chance to prove it.  Rams will eat some of the salary.

WATCH THE VIDEO below to hear what NFL players think of Robinson.

VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgDZPY2Lemc

VIDEO:

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I don't understand what more we could've done for OL in 1 free agency than this year. Likely upgraded 2 starters.... or upgraded 1 starter, and added a versatile backup with no drop off in talent.

We still have a draft lol what's with the crying here

No crying at all.  I like a lot of the Bills moves. Nothing earth shattering due to the cap restriction. 

Just thinking that the team's weaknesses are plenty and it was impossible to upgrade enough to compete with the two better teams (KC and Cinci) in the AFC. That's not crying. I call it being realistic. 

If Gabe Davis makes the leap we’ve been waiting on problem solved.  

But still, this should have been the focus last off season but we went all in on defense.  

No one in that front office foresaw this or asked what if Davis isn’t “him” and said we should make the 2023 pick available to get an elite WR and just out score teams because it’s 2023.   

We’re one year behind every year.  

2020 - we needed an elite WR, get Diggs

2021 - we need to sack Mahomes (never happens), draft a DE 1st and 2nd RD. 

2022 - we still can’t sack the QB - get Von

2023 - we need an elite WR

We’re going to be talking about the D line again next year if the pattern here holds.  Oh wait, we are because no one but Groot and Von are under contract. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Let's look line to line. 

Dawkins - Saffold - Morse - Bates - Brown

Dawkins - McGovern - Morse - Bates - Brown

The Bills re-signed Boettger, signed Jack Anderson, signed David Quesenberry, and you'd have to believe the Bills hope that Tommy Doyle can get healthy to compete for the swing OT job. I think objectively, it looks like the same offensive line - barring the Bills taking an OT at #27. I don't see the suggestion that others have had on this forum about a new OT pushing Dawkins to OG or RT. 

Miller - Jones - Oliver - Rousseau 

Miller PUP? - Jones - Oliver - Rousseau 

No signings on the Defensive Line. Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips are Free Agents. So, this leaves a rotation of Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham at DE, and Jones, Oliver and Settle at DT with no one signed long-term. 

Can't agrue with you. Both sides of the Bill's lines are not strong. That's not a recipe to win Super Bowls or advance far in the playoffs. It's been the one major failure of Beane and McD. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Can't agrue with you. Both sides of the Bill's lines are not strong. That's not a recipe to win Super Bowls or advance far in the playoffs. It's been the one major failure of Beane and McD. 

I want an offense heavy draft, but if we can miraculously pull off a WR we like, I'm fine with 5 of 6 picks going into either line. 

Who's our DL coach? Lots of high picks, has anyone gotten better over their career here?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Allen Robinson is getting cheaper by the day..... He was THE MAN in Chicago not long ago, and was BADLY misused in LA with bad play calling overcompensated to Kupp.  Only went to Robinson when it was obvious....

I think Robinson could be a legit #2 on the roster.  Give him a chance to prove it.  Rams will eat some of the salary.

WATCH THE VIDEO below to hear what NFL players think of Robinson.

VIDEO:

VIDEO:

I'd be cool with Allen Robinson (a WR ACTUALLY on the trade market). He was misused in LA. However, they'd have to eat a LOT of his salary. His contract is untenable.

4 hours ago, Deadstroke said:

Many pages of conjecture on the Hopkins romance, and I, for one, think he'd be great for us.  Seriously, what defense could possibly cover all the speed and all-around weapons that we'd have?  But what do we do if the Hopkins trade falls through?  We really really should have a fallback plan/target.  

What are realistic options?

Are we even trying for him. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  I’m not a fan of taking a slot only either but I like the player and I think he could really help our offense by getting open.  He makes contested catches too.  His change of direction and footwork looks elite to me. That’s what wins in the slot.  He gets open and we can really use that.  

watching more and more Harty this week has me believing that he’s going to play quite a bit on the outside.  Playing him opposite Diggs puts a lot of pressure on the D if they want to double Diggs- either Harty will be 1 on 1 or the underneath will be wide open for a free 1st down.  We weren’t able make teams pay for doubling Diggs as much as we should have. 

again-  I’m not advocating for drafting him, but I think he’s a helluva player

I’m with you.  His change of direction, as you noted, is tremendous.

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Based on this synopsis the Bills aren't likely to improve enough to compete with the KCs and Cinci's of the league. Look out because Miami and a Rodgers led Jets team are salavating. 

Run it back and see what happens sort of speak. Weaknesses in the trenches is likely the achilles heel of the team. Team weaknesses still appear to be plentiful. What happens when injuries occur? 

Just a quick clarification:  we BEAT the KC of the league in our last meeting.

4 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I think a trade would be the last resort, because you have to not only take on a contract (that might be fiscally risky) AND give up resources (draft picks or players.)

Free agency is just "spending money" so it would be great to sign a team-friendly deal on another young, veteran WR.

Depending on what they do prior to the draft, I think WR is absolutely the #1 or #2 pick (the other being MLB)

What about a RT with one of our first 2 picks?  Last I looked Spencer Brown was terrible.  

36 minutes ago, Success said:

Why do we continually celebrate regular season wins? We’re 2-2 against KC in the last 4 meetings with the two wins coming during the regular season and the two losses during the playoffs. Are you that confident the next time we meet them in the playoffs with this roster? Just because we beat them in the regular season? They’ve proven they can win it all when it matters most whereas we have yet to prove that. 

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm not convinced that McDermott/Beane will go WR high enough in this draft to get a difference maker. 

I have hopes that WR's fall as a whole and teams go with other WR's before Quentin Johnston first. Probably wishful thinking, though I did see Daniel Jeremiah mock him to us at 27.

Anyone who watched the TCU v. Michigan CFP should know what I'm talking about.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I have hopes that WR's fall as a whole and teams go with other WR's before Quentin Johnston first. Probably wishful thinking, though I did see Daniel Jeremiah mock him to us at 27.

Anyone who watched TCU v. Michigan in the CFP should know what I'm talking about.

I read that and checked him out a bit. I'd be ok with it. I'm just gonna trust McBeane. I spend way too much time on here. It's stressful   Yo.

16 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'm fine taking a WR in the 3td and MLB in the 2nd. I want the best OL we can get with our first pick. Maybe we trade up or back, but I want an OT that can start for many years to come and play at a high level.

How about Campell 27   Mauch (sp?)  59   Rashee Rice  91.  I would consider this satisfactory....maybe even lucky.

Edited by nosejob
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Why do we continually celebrate regular season wins? We’re 2-2 against KC in the last 4 meetings with the two wins coming during the regular season and the two losses during the playoffs. Are you that confident the next time we meet them in the playoffs with this roster? Just because we beat them in the regular season? They’ve proven they can win it all when it matters most whereas we have yet to prove that. 

Who was celebrating?

Not sure how I feel about Hop. He’s been elite but in his 30s now, durability is more an issue, had his PED suspension last year and then there’s that contract which if Arizona doesnt contribute is way too much for the Bills to handle. 

To me we need another WR but he needs to be a good one. Daniel Jeremiah, who has been right a lot in his predictions, including his predictions for the Bills (Stringer at 9), sees us drafting Johnston. It’s not a crazy idea. Johnston has a flavour of boom or bust. Much more risk imo than Addison, Flowers, JSN who Jeremiah sees as going before Johnson. I think I would do pretty much the same as Jeremiah in ranking my WR preferences for the Bills draft.

3 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Well you keep bringing up the fact we beat them in meaningless regular season games like they’re big accomplishments. 

The post I was responding to specifically said we're not likely to improve enough to "compete w/ the KC's."  I wasn't touting it as a big accomplishment. I was just stating the fact - we're good enough to beat them now.  And we have been.

It's a theme w/ me.  I think the Cincy game skewed many perspectives on here - like we're way behind the top teams.  I don't subscribe to that POV.  We're as good as anyone.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I'm fine taking a WR in the 3td and MLB in the 2nd. I want the best OL we can get with our first pick. Maybe we trade up or back, but I want an OT that can start for many years to come and play at a high level.

Which MLB do you think is availabe at 59 to take? 

2 hours ago, Success said:

I'm well aware of that. Thus far, the Bills have been a great regular season team. It wins them AFC East titles. No small accomplishment. 

The next step forward has been much different in a not so good way. No need to rehash that. 

Depends on what satisfies your appetite. Many here are fine with great regular season records, winning the division, and making the playoffs. Especially, when you remember the past two decades of Bills play. 

As for me, I want a Super Bowl appearance and a Super Bowl win. The Bills have a top 5 WB in the league and thus far have fallen short. These last two years certainly seem like wasted opportunities. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm well aware of that. Thus far, the Bills have been a great regular season team. It wins them AFC East titles. No small accomplishment. 

The next step forward has been much different in a not so good way. No need to rehash that. 

Depends on what satisfies your appetite. Many here are fine with great regular season records, winning the division, and making the playoffs. Especially, when you remember the past two decades of Bills play. 

As for me, I want a Super Bowl appearance and a Super Bowl win. The Bills have a top 5 WB in the league and thus far have fallen short. These last two years certainly seem like wasted opportunities. 

It would be silly of me to deny that we have a playoff issue. But I think we all want a SB win.

All you can do is stay in the game, and keep giving yourself opportunities.  The team that won in the end was one we beat and I think could have beaten again - but they got hot at the right time, and had luck go their way in the WC round, the AFCCG, and the SB itself.

Most of the time, teams need a bit of that to get over the top.  We all thought getting Von Miller was the big move that would get us there.  But he got hurt, then we had a ton of other stuff go wrong.  Not only did we not get much luck at the end - it really went against us.

I don't really care if that sounds like an excuse.  The team was exhausted emotionally by the playoffs. And I don't think that's because we're a soft team. I think that would have happened to any team in the same circumstances.

As we're currently constructed, I think we're as good as anyone.  

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Success said:

The post I was responding to specifically said we're not likely to improve enough to "compete w/ the KC's."  I wasn't touting it as a big accomplishment. I was just stating the fact - we're good enough to beat them now.  And we have been.

It's a theme w/ me.  I think the Cincy game skewed many perspectives on here - like we're way behind the top teams.  I don't subscribe to that POV.  We're as good as anyone.

Disagree that the Bills are as good as anyone. They have consistently pooped out of every playoff game in the McD era. 

I will give you that the Bills are as good as anyone during the regular season.

The playoffs have illustrated the Bills aren't superior to the upper echolen teams like KC and Cinci. 

Go ahead and make excuses and believe you lies. I'll believe my eyes and the facts. 

I will remain skeptical that this team led by McD can get over the hump. 

6 minutes ago, Success said:

It would be silly of me to deny that we have a playoff issue. But I think we all want a SB win.

All you can do is stay in the game, and keep giving yourself opportunities.  The team that won in the end was one we beat and I think could have beaten again - but they got hot at the right time, and had luck go their way in the WC round, the AFCCG, and the SB itself.

Most of the time, teams need a bit of that to get over the top.  We all thought getting Von Miller was the big move that would get us there.  But he got hurt, then we had a ton of other stuff go wrong.  Not only did we not get much luck at the end - it really went against us.

I don't really care if that sounds like an excuse.  The team was exhausted emotionally by the playoffs. And I don't think that's because we're a soft team. I think that would have happened to any team in the same circumstances.

As we're currently constructed, I think we're as good as anyone.  

I don't buy much this. All excuses. Every team had injuries and circumstances to overcome. 

The team got waxed at home in the biggest playoff game in recent memory. Out coached by a country mile. Manhandled like men playing against boys. 

Your excuses fall woefully short.

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree that the Bills are as good as anyone. They have consistently pooped out of every playoff game in the McD era. 

I will give you that the Bills are as good as anyone during the regular season.

The playoffs have illustrated the Bills aren't superior to the upper echolen teams like KC and Cinci. 

Go ahead and make excuses and believe you lies. I'll believe my eyes and the facts. 

I will remain skeptical that this team led by McD can get over the hump. 

They have consistently been a top 5 to 6 over recent years

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.