Regardless of what you think of him as a coach, McDermott is a really good man.

Draconator

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's funny over the years how opinions have changed on a dime in a matter of months.  

The "opinions have changed" because some perpetually loud voices have gotten louder resulting some to not post as much or anymore.

You see the same slanted questions wording differently.  Reminds me of sales calls I get when they are not automated ones.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Nice guy? I don’t give a crap.

Good father? Screw you go home and play with your kids.

If you want to be the head coach of the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills, go win a Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. If you can’t do that, get the f out of here.

image.thumb.png.825640f5539a99e5b5f662a92a7c177a.pngI see what you did there....  These tenderhearts have no sense of culture.

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Question is, will McDermott still be here when Allen and the Bills finally make it to the Super Bowl?  

Isn't most of that dependent upon McD himself?  

I mean the primary reason why we didn't advance further in the two seasons where we had our best chances, '21 & '22, was coaching, particularly in the defensive side.  There's not a lot of dispute there.  "13 Seconds" was a pure and outright coaching blunder, and so was playing ridiculously of the ball vs. Cinci.  

Funny you ask the question like that.  It could also have been asked, will Allen still be here when McDermott wins his first Super Bowl.  

Just sayin' 

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The "opinions have changed" because some perpetually loud voices have gotten louder resulting some to not post as much or anymore.

You see the same slanted questions wording differently.  Reminds me of sales calls I get when they are not automated ones.

All I know is that it will get very interesting here in ten more months if we underachieve again, to see how much character factors in.  

The defense of coaches and GMs in the past has been staunch going into a season, when afterwards everyone wants to burn down the building.  It's pretty funny to watch unfold, those reactions that is.  

Leave it to this place to turn what should just be a nice thread about McDermott's character into his abilities as a football coach. Some of you are way too serious about this stuff. Leave threads like this about the human aspect of McDermott, not what goes on during the game. That wasn't the intention of this thread.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Airseven said:

So what. This isn’t personal. You don’t know him. It’s about being a football coach. He should be judged in the context of wins and losses.

And you should be judged in the context of your posts in this forum. 

No, we don’t know McD personally, but he comes across as someone we would enjoy getting to know.

You? Well, does anyone really want to get to know a total delta bravo?

7 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Leave it to this place to turn what should just be a nice thread about McDermott's character into his abilities as a football coach. Some of you are way too serious about this stuff. Leave threads like this about the human aspect of McDermott, not what goes on during the game. That wasn't the intention of this thread.

You know how threads are tho, they typically all go off the rails after a page-and-a-half, if not sooner.  It's pretty common.  Either way, there's not going to be 30 pages praising McD's character.  That'd be a little weird, wouldn't it.  

45 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

All I know is that it will get very interesting here in ten more months if we underachieve again, to see how much character factors in.  

The defense of coaches and GMs in the past has been staunch going into a season, when afterwards everyone wants to burn down the building.  It's pretty funny to watch unfold, those reactions that is.  

If by "very interesting" you mean more threads on issue I disagree.  Irrational mobs are not interesting.

Bills-Mob.png

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Who cares.    Beat the Bengals and don’t choke away a lead with 13 secs left vs the Chiefs 

Focus all that nice guy energy into not choking away games.  

He should sign his paycheck over to Josh Allen for saving his ass on repeat 

Preaaaaaaach!

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Exactly! Send that stuff right here:

I am in the Philly area and my oldest daughter lives in the same area as McDermott's parents.. She and my youngest granddaughter were in local Breakfast place about a month ago, Granddaughter had on her Allen jersey, and in walked McDermott's parents.. His father had  Bills cap on , spotted my daughter and granddaughter and came right over, both he and McDermott's  mother introduced themselves as did my daughter, and his parents could not have been nicer!. Spoke about how much they like Orchard Park , etc.. just regular nice people.. Can never hate on Coach McD

I’ll talk smack about his game plans and game day management all day. In terms of quality of human I don’t think anyone can doubt he’s one of the best.  You could tell that from the moment he got on the mic at his opening press conference.  That’s why I sincerely hope he evolves and brings home a championship.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When you hire a culture guy instead of an innovator..........you've chosen the longer path.    But it's a win-now league so criticism follows coaches like McDermott who are great during the week but a work-in-progress on Sundays.    Don't get yourself exercised about it.   The criticisms might be exaggerated but not unwarranted.   McDermott(and Beane) have to get better at what they do if they expect to win a SB.   I actually like that McD is probably taking over the defensive play calling.   That represents an attempt at progress with disregard to the potential for added accountability.  

I don't disagree but it is wild to me that in the middle of march they are still whining about things that will not change.

I am also excited about mcd taking over play calling duties as he has been very successful and I'm looking forward to a more aggressive style defense.

Ive posted previously how hard it is to win the super bowl with a lot of stats regarding different coaches.  Mcd has some flaws but no coach is perfect.  Mcd has clearly performed at a minimum as a top 10 coach in this league and over an extended amount of time.

People can be mad about not winning the sb this year but does anything think on a talent level at the end of the year the Bills were as good as the eagles, chiefs, or bengals? At the start of the year with Hyde, Von, and a healthy Poyer id say yes.  By the end of the year I don't think they were.  Add in everything that happened to the team and the city and I thought mcd coached very well this year.

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Funny you ask the question like that.  It could also have been asked, will Allen still be here when McDermott wins his first Super Bowl.  

Just sayin' 

I'm not even assuming a win. I just want to get back to the Super Bowl. Not sure why you are questing the way I ask the question as it seems you agree with my assessment of McDermott in that there is a good (50/50) chance he is not the head coach in 2024 if the Bills continue their trend of going backwards. 

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If by "very interesting" you mean more threads on issue I disagree.  Irrational mobs are not interesting.

LOL, no, by interesting I mean the emotional disposition of posters.  In the past, the most ardent defenders and apologists of a coach or GM often become the most virulent critics within the course of a season.   It's pretty comical.  The "but she's got a great personality" line has its limits.  :D 

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Really? 4 quick topic starts? Does nobody like you in your house?

You’re assuming he’s not living alone with a case of genesee beer as his true love. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm not even assuming a win. I just want to get back to the Super Bowl. Not sure why you are questing the way I ask the question as it seems you agree with my assessment of McDermott in that there is a good (50/50) chance he is not the head coach in 2024 if the Bills continue their trend of going backwards. 

I was partially being facetious since so many opining seem to think that McD has few or no signifcant shortcomings.  I mean think about it, someone posts the equivalent of a "but she's got a great personality thread," as if what, 100 posters are all going to talk about what a great guy McD is without touching on any other topics, and without anyone questioning anything whatsoever about him or any of his questionable shortcomings, etc.  

This is one of those areas where "it's a business," until it isn't.   Now all of a sudden we're fortunate to have a great guy leading our team, football isn't life, and we need to keep the human element first and foremost, etc.  I don't disagree with part of that, but is that the League's take?  The players?  The coaches and GMs when they're looking for work?  Hardly.  But now all of a sudden that's all that matters.  LOL   Is that going to be the party-line here if all of a sudden Allen leaves in two years and we start going 8-9 regularly?  Are people still going to be saying the same things?  LOL, we know the answer to that.  But why not, if that's the basis for it all.  That's all I'm saying.  Seems like some virtue-signaling going on here.  

Levy was a great guy too, a lot of similarities between the two.  But he also didn't have that instinct that would lead a team to a Championship.  I've said it before, but if we had had Gibbs (also known as a great guy yet with greater coaching skills), Parcells (also according to many a great guy with greater coaching skills), or Johnson, we'd have won 2 or possibly 3 of those Super Bowls.  So is this a thread about keeping McD here for 20 more years because he's "got a great personality."  Everyone knows that, it's nothing new.  But I would also question, if he's such a high-character guy, how come he doesn't come clean on so many things?   "Really good people" don't cover things up either and hide behind regimens.  Seems to me that a "great guy" wouldn't toss a coach under the bus that did a great job with what he had to work with in order to address "the mob" and deflect criticism on himself.  I know that i wouldn't do that because it's not right.   Do you think that Jim Salgado thinks that he was treated fairly?  Seriously.  I mean it's not as if McD is Ghandi or Christ.  

Either way, is this a business, or isn't it?  Seems as if when it comes time to buy tix, it's not a business, for some reason as fans we all owe it to Buffalo and the team to give them our money regardless of the circumstances, even when the multi-billionaire Pegula doesn't want to pitch in any of his because he has a lifestyle to maintain.   

Also, since when is it wrong or immoral to have a difference of opinion on whether a "great guy" is actually doing his job, ... aka getting the job done.  What, everyone that fails at their job is a douche bag or something?  Plenty of nice people simply can't cut the Weber's.   This notion that someone can post this and expect absolutely no critical comments is ludicrous.  Yet, ... 

Anyway, I generally agree with you, just altering the perspective slightly for purposes of discussion.  :)   

I agree BTW, McD seems like a great guy, but I do have issues with some of his positions and how he's treated a few people, Salgado being one of 'em, in the interests of covering up reality.  There are also plenty of sources claiming that he's a control-freak.  That wouldn't seem to be so "great guy-ish" to me.  So this notion that he's a great guy isn't limitless, it's also not why he was hired.  If this same great guy had the track record of Chan Gailey, another great guy, would people be saying that he should be sticking around?  LOL  

11 hours ago, McBean said:

If you want to be the head coach of the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills, go win a Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. If you can’t do that, get the f out of here.

Richard Head, is that you? I’m here to stay, unless a tough guy like you thinks you can move me out. My door is always open. 
Sincerely, 

Your coach, Sean McDermott. 
P.S. Josh wants his jockstrap back. You’ve sniffed it enough. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Richard Head, is that you? I’m here to stay, unless a tough guy like you thinks you can move me out. My door is always open. 
Sincerely, 

Your coach, Sean McDermott. 
P.S. Josh wants his jockstrap back. You’ve sniffed it enough. 

Lmaoooooooo.

You have to be a family member of McClappy’s.

Na, I don’t sniff anybody’s jock. We have the most talented QB in the nfl held back by the mediocre head coach. Fact is Josh has bailed your boy Sean out more times than I can count. 

But hey, I’ll be here after another year goes by without a Bills title under McClap. I’ll bump this up come January 2024 and so on. Just hang tight Dope!

20 hours ago, Airseven said:

So what. This isn’t personal. You don’t know him. It’s about being a football coach. He should be judged in the context of wins and losses.

15 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

No disputing he’s a decent person and an outstanding motivator and leader. Important attributes for a HC. The problem is this is a bottom line business and it’s results that defines success. If you have your franchise QB and a good roster, get to a SB in 6 years or a new voice is necessary.

14 hours ago, McBean said:

13 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Who cares.    Beat the Bengals and don’t choke away a lead with 13 secs left vs the Chiefs 

Focus all that nice guy energy into not choking away games.  

He should sign his paycheck over to Josh Allen for saving his ass on repeat 

Sean McDermott has a .639 winning percentage as a head coach in the NFL. That is currently good for 21st ALL-TIME (out of 196 head coaches per Pro Football Reference---link below). He is just behind Andy Reid (.641) and just ahead of Mike Tomlin (.636) and Sean Payton (.631). He's only six spots behind Belichick (.662). There are only 3 active coaches with a higher winning percentage than Sean: LaFleur, Belichick, and Reid (and LaFleur has coached 33 fewer games than McDermott).

Yes, McDermott's sample size is still on the lower end obviously, but there are 8 head coaches ahead of him on the list that coached fewer games than Sean. And there are coaches that some McDermott detractors would probably want over him that compare pretty evenly:

Sean McDermott 62-35 (.639)

Sean McVay 60-38 (.612)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

And don't tell me it's all Josh Allen, unless you are willing to then acknowledge that Belichick is all Brady, Reid is all Mahomes, Walsh was all Montana, etc. Not many (if any) coaches win consistently without a top QB.

And yes, Sean is a good guy/great leader...and that matters to me. As a fan, I like to root for good people. But regardless of that, it just seems crazy to me that people would want to move on from such a winning coach because of one playoff mistake (KC game)---as if no other coach (even Super Bowl winning coaches) have ever made a mistake in a big game---and because he couldn't muster his team this year (that had been so beaten down over and over physically and emotionally) to beat the Bengals. 

Be careful what you wish for fellas.

McDermott is a great guy for sure.  He may get canned from Buffalo, eventually, if they don't get to or win a SB.  But it would be a real kick in the nuts if he went to another team and got them a ring.  He's a good coach, but more importantly, he runs a solid program.  he would be in demand.

8 hours ago, folz said:

Sean McDermott has a .639 winning percentage as a head coach in the NFL. That is currently good for 21st ALL-TIME (out of 196 head coaches per Pro Football Reference---link below). He is just behind Andy Reid (.641) and just ahead of Mike Tomlin (.636) and Sean Payton (.631). He's only six spots behind Belichick (.662). There are only 3 active coaches with a higher winning percentage than Sean: LaFleur, Belichick, and Reid (and LaFleur has coached 33 fewer games than McDermott).

Yes, McDermott's sample size is still on the lower end obviously, but there are 8 head coaches ahead of him on the list that coached fewer games than Sean. And there are coaches that some McDermott detractors would probably want over him that compare pretty evenly:

Sean McDermott 62-35 (.639)

Sean McVay 60-38 (.612)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

And don't tell me it's all Josh Allen, unless you are willing to then acknowledge that Belichick is all Brady, Reid is all Mahomes, Walsh was all Montana, etc. Not many (if any) coaches win consistently without a top QB.

And yes, Sean is a good guy/great leader...and that matters to me. As a fan, I like to root for good people. But regardless of that, it just seems crazy to me that people would want to move on from such a winning coach because of one playoff mistake (KC game)---as if no other coach (even Super Bowl winning coaches) have ever made a mistake in a big game---and because he couldn't muster his team this year (that had been so beaten down over and over physically and emotionally) to beat the Bengals. 

Be careful what you wish for fellas.

Reid was also acknowledged as a good coach who couldn’t get over the hump and was replaced. I understand many fans are connected to Sean because he  made us a team that was a legitimate contender to win a SB. The question you have to ask yourself is once you have reached the level of being a top team, how long do you give a coach to reach the last game. Long suffering fans are driven to go further. Besides the soul crushing choke of “13 seconds “, Sean’s teams have regressed on offense and have been limited to letting Josh find a way with pedestrian O-lines and running attacks. His defense has underachieved in the playoffs. You like rooting for a high character leader like Sean but remember this a bottom line business for coaches. When your team is a contender they must find a way or after 7 or 8 years get another voice. Reid, Jimmy Johnson, Landry, Shanahan, Gibbs all got fired after winning.

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Reid was also acknowledged as a good coach who couldn’t get over the hump and was replaced. I understand many fans are connected to Sean because he  made us a team that was a legitimate contender to win a SB. The question you have to ask yourself is once you have reached the level of being a top team, how long do you give a coach to reach the last game. Long suffering fans are driven to go further. Besides the soul crushing choke of “13 seconds “, Sean’s teams have regressed on offense and have been limited to letting Josh find a way with pedestrian O-lines and running attacks. His defense has underachieved in the playoffs. You like rooting for a high character leader like Sean but remember this a bottom line business for coaches. When your team is a contender they must find a way or after 7 or 8 years get another voice. Reid, Jimmy Johnson, Landry, Shanahan, Gibbs all got fired after winning.

I just think that there is a greater chance that if we made a change we end up with something worse. Why drop a winning coach for a very BIG maybe. I mean, where are all these magical coaches who can just step in and win a Super Bowl right away?

There are currently 9 Super Bowl winning coaches active in the league: Reid, Bellichick, McVay, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Payton, and Tomlin. I don't see any of them leaving their current positions any time soon, unless it is for retirement. Maybe Pederson or McCarthy if things don't go well in Jax and Dallas, but that's it.

The only other Super Bowl winning coach out there that isn't well retired is Gary Kubiak.

How confident are you that Kubiak, Pederson, or McCarthy even could automatically win a Super Bowl here, even if they were available? And anyone else is in the same boat as McDermott (never won a SB). So, people can believe another coach (say a young, upcoming assistant) has that killer instinct to win a Super Bowl (that apparently they believe McDermott does not have), but there is no proof to that fact. Plus there would be growing pains with that candidate as he learns to be a HC. I guess I just feel, as the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

And I'm speaking about now...sure if after two more years the team is imploding or going backwards, then it might be time to move on. But if McD still has us as a SB contenders, reaching championship games, then I say stick with it till we win one.

If you take Belichick out of the equation (as he is an anomaly), and add up the tenure of the other 8 Super Bowl winning coaches divided by the number of Super Bowls won by them, then you get a Super Bowl win every 12.77 years of their careers. Even coaches who won it all don't do it every 5-6 years.

Reid: 2 SBs in 24 years as HC

Tomlin: 1 SB in 16 years as HC

Carroll: 1 SB in 17 years as HC

McCarthy: 1 SB in 16 years as HC

Harbaugh: 1 SB in 15 years as HC

Payton: 1 SB in 15 years as HC

McVay: 1 SB in 6 years as HC

Pederson: 1 SB in 6 years as HC

And I know, people will say, yeah, but McDermott has Josh Allen. But, Payton had Drew Brees; Tomlin had Rothlisberger; Reid had McNabb and Mahomes, Carroll had Wilson, etc. Heck, Aaron Rodgers is a sure fire 1st ballot HOF QB and only has 1 SB in an 18-year career; Drew Brees (future HOFer) had 1 SB win in a 20-year career; even Peyton Manning (one of the best to ever do it) only won 2 in 18 years.

It's just not as easy as some make it out to be to win a Super Bowl. I just think we have as good a chance with McDermott as we would with anyone else. And I rarely hear McDermott's detractors put forward a name that they think could come in and automatically be better than Sean.

1 hour ago, folz said:

I just think that there is a greater chance that if we made a change we end up with something worse. Why drop a winning coach for a very BIG maybe. I mean, where are all these magical coaches who can just step in and win a Super Bowl right away?

There are currently 9 Super Bowl winning coaches active in the league: Reid, Bellichick, McVay, Pederson, Carroll, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Payton, and Tomlin. I don't see any of them leaving their current positions any time soon, unless it is for retirement. Maybe Pederson or McCarthy if things don't go well in Jax and Dallas, but that's it.

The only other Super Bowl winning coach out there that isn't well retired is Gary Kubiak.

How confident are you that Kubiak, Pederson, or McCarthy even could automatically win a Super Bowl here, even if they were available? And anyone else is in the same boat as McDermott (never won a SB). So, people can believe another coach (say a young, upcoming assistant) has that killer instinct to win a Super Bowl (that apparently they believe McDermott does not have), but there is no proof to that fact. Plus there would be growing pains with that candidate as he learns to be a HC. I guess I just feel, as the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

And I'm speaking about now...sure if after two more years the team is imploding or going backwards, then it might be time to move on. But if McD still has us as a SB contenders, reaching championship games, then I say stick with it till we win one.

If you take Belichick out of the equation (as he is an anomaly), and add up the tenure of the other 8 Super Bowl winning coaches divided by the number of Super Bowls won by them, then you get a Super Bowl win every 12.77 years of their careers. Even coaches who won it all don't do it every 5-6 years.

Reid: 2 SBs in 24 years as HC

Tomlin: 1 SB in 16 years as HC

Carroll: 1 SB in 17 years as HC

McCarthy: 1 SB in 16 years as HC

Harbaugh: 1 SB in 15 years as HC

Payton: 1 SB in 15 years as HC

McVay: 1 SB in 6 years as HC

Pederson: 1 SB in 6 years as HC

And I know, people will say, yeah, but McDermott has Josh Allen. But, Payton had Drew Brees; Tomlin had Rothlisberger; Reid had McNabb and Mahomes, Carroll had Wilson, etc. Heck, Aaron Rodgers is a sure fire 1st ballot HOF QB and only has 1 SB in an 18-year career; Drew Brees (future HOFer) had 1 SB win in a 20-year career; even Peyton Manning (one of the best to ever do it) only won 2 in 18 years.

It's just not as easy as some make it out to be to win a Super Bowl. I just think we have as good a chance with McDermott as we would with anyone else. And I rarely hear McDermott's detractors put forward a name that they think could come in and automatically be better than Sean.

My opinion is based on watching Sean’s game day decision making. and the fact that he’s unable to impact the offense because he’s reluctant to clash with his OCs. Case in point, our offense was predictable and never developed a running game with Josh being their leading rusher. Our O-line was just OK. The short passing game which dominated early, turned into big vertical passing game with a receiving corp that underachieved.The defense, Sean’s wheelhouse, got pushed around by Cinn. and were  underwhelming against Miami. Sean himself admitted he wants a defense that is more physically dominant. This is after he assembled a defense that is more about speed. We need an HC that can add something to our offensive production ala Reid, McVay, Payton or Shanahan.  If our defense put their stamp on playoff games that would be another story. Offensive minded HCs are the new poster boys for SBs. We should be proactive during Josh’s prime. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.