Under the Radar Free Agency Sleepers

MrEpsYtown

We all like to talk about the big-name expensive free agents. One of the things that I always find interesting is talking hidden UFA gems that could help our team. 

Alexander Mattison - RB - This guy is a big 5'11", 220-high cut back who runs for power and was a great complement to Davin Cook in Minnesota. He's only 24 and so there is a ton of tread left on those tires as he has been in a job share most of his career so far. He doesn't have the breakaway speed, but the dude runs hard. You are looking at something like 2 million per for a guy of his ability. Dude ran a slow 40 at the combine. He does not look slow when you watch him in the game. I think he fits well with James Cook as a short-yardage change-of-pace guy. 

Justin Watson - WR - Ivy league receiver, 6-2, 215, he has been a depth player for Tampa and KC and made some very clutch, acrobatic catches this year for KC when guys were out. Obviously a smart player. Ran a 4.4 at the combine, a huge vert, long arms, and big hands. Caches everything. He also plays special teams for the Chiefs. I think he would be a sneaky good signing. There is a ton of potential there. 

Rasheem Greene - DE - This guy was compared to Carlos Dunlap coming out. He is long and has some bend and former third-round pick of the Seahawks. He put up 3.5 sacks in a part-time role for the Texans, but as a former 5-star recruit who has dealt with some injuries, I think there could be some lightning in the bottle. Fits the mold of a McDermott end and he can also rush on the inside. 

Coleman Shelton - IOL - This dude bounced around the league a bit before he found a home in LA. He is not technically a free agent but has a payer option opt-out. After having a nice year filling in for injured players at both center and guard, he may be looking for a more lucrative deal than what he signed last year. He has played some meaningful snaps for the rams. Like Austin Corbett and David Edwards, Shelton is a guy Aaron Kromer targeted and developed. 

Kaden Ellis - LB - Ellis is another late bloomer type coming out of Idaho, but is all over the field for NO. 6-2, 240, he can cover and rush the passer. He has really good football instincts and reminds me of Matt Milano a bit. He has NFL bloodlines as the son of former Lion DL Luther Ellis. There is something there and I think he could be an interesting fit as our mike if Tremaine is indeed gone. Again, I am not sure if he will cost a ton, but he is a player that looks like he has a ton of potential in a full-time role. 

Anyone else have any sleeper Free agents we should discuss? Please share!

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 19

9 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

yea, sleepers got us quessenberry, an ancient saffold and settle. only sleeper that was worth a ***** was daquon jones. 1-4 isnt a HOF batting average. 

Settle was the only one of those who would qualify as a "sleeper".

Jones was a steady, long-time $4M/yr value plugger who Beane overpaid..........the other two were worn out veterans.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Settle was the only one of those who would qualify as a "sleeper".

Jones was a steady, long-time $4M/yr value plugger who Beane overpaid..........the other two were worn out veterans.

Nailed it, the problem Settle had was availability, he flashed a bit when he played,  which was very little.   Jones was very good when healthy and not too bad when he was dinged up, but you got about what you expected there and I agree, over paid to get him. There should have been zero expectations for Quess and Saffold looked washed in 21, so it was a prayer he would be worth something in 22 and it wasn’t answered.

It was not a good year for the Beanery over all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Someone that I don’t think is getting any publicity is Michael Thomas.

He is a star when healthy*. Saints are going to cut him to free up space.

He just turned 30 but has almost no mileage from the last three seasons due to injury.

Could see a 2 year or even 3 year deal that is reasonable. 

He catches absolutely everything that is thrown his way and at 6’3 he gives us that red zone threat we really haven’t had.

29 minutes ago, Ghs24mike said:

Someone that I don’t think is getting any publicity is Michael Thomas.

He is a star when healthy*. Saints are going to cut him to free up space.

He just turned 30 but has almost no mileage from the last three seasons due to injury.

Could see a 2 year or even 3 year deal that is reasonable. 

He catches absolutely everything that is thrown his way and at 6’3 he gives us that red zone threat we really haven’t had.

Rumor has it they are trying to extend him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Mattison would be great if we can't land Foreman.  The others intrigue me also.  Thanks for putting the list together! 

He seems a lot like Foreman actually. A little under the radar, but that was the comp I was thinking of for sure. He should be cheaper. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

We all like to talk about the big-name expensive free agents. One of the things that I always find interesting is talking hidden UFA gems that could help our team. 

Alexander Mattison - RB - This guy is a big 5'11", 220-high cut back who runs for power and was a great complement to Davin Cook in Minnesota. He's only 24 and so there is a ton of tread left on those tires as he has been in a job share most of his career so far. He doesn't have the breakaway speed, but the dude runs hard. You are looking at something like 2 million per for a guy of his ability. Dude ran a slow 40 at the combine. He does not look slow when you watch him in the game. I think he fits well with James Cook as a short-yardage change-of-pace guy. 

Justin Watson - WR - Ivy league receiver, 6-2, 215, he has been a depth player for Tampa and KC and made some very clutch, acrobatic catches this year for KC when guys were out. Obviously a smart player. Ran a 4.4 at the combine, a huge vert, long arms, and big hands. Caches everything. He also plays special teams for the Chiefs. I think he would be a sneaky good signing. There is a ton of potential there. 

Rasheem Greene - DE - This guy was compared to Carlos Dunlap coming out. He is long and has some bend and former third-round pick of the Seahawks. He put up 3.5 sacks in a part-time role for the Texans, but as a former 5-star recruit who has dealt with some injuries, I think there could be some lightning in the bottle. Fits the mold of a McDermott end and he can also rush on the inside. 

Coleman Shelton - IOL - This dude bounced around the league a bit before he found a home in LA. He is not technically a free agent but has a payer option opt-out. After having a nice year filling in for injured players at both center and guard, he may be looking for a more lucrative deal than what he signed last year. He has played some meaningful snaps for the rams. Like Austin Corbett and David Edwards, Shelton is a guy Aaron Kromer targeted and developed. 

Kaden Ellis - LB - Ellis is another late bloomer type coming out of Idaho, but is all over the field for NO. 6-2, 240, he can cover and rush the passer. He has really good football instincts and reminds me of Matt Milano a bit. He has NFL bloodlines as the son of former Lion DL Luther Ellis. There is something there and I think he could be an interesting fit as our mike if Tremaine is indeed gone. Again, I am not sure if he will cost a ton, but he is a player that looks like he has a ton of potential in a full-time role. 

Anyone else have any sleeper Free agents we should discuss? Please share!

Good job finding Kumerow 2.0…. Slam dunk 

I confused That minny RB with Cook a couple time watching him because he seems to hit the hole the same way. Had some big games when given touches. 

I wonder if a guy like this has a huge price point difference vs Singletary… 

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Nailed it, the problem Settle had was availability, he flashed a bit when he played,  which was very little.   Jones was very good when healthy and not too bad when he was dinged up, but you got about what you expected there and I agree, over paid to get him. There should have been zero expectations for Quess and Saffold looked washed in 21, so it was a prayer he would be worth something in 22 and it wasn’t answered.

Yeah the Settle, Saffold & Quessenberry signings were absolutely terrible.  Thank God Daquan stepped up and even outplayed Ed some games.  Beane has got to nail some FA picks next week. Missing on 3 out of 4 and Crowder being useless really hurt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good job finding Kumerow 2.0…. Slam dunk 

I confused That minny RB with Cook a couple time watching him because he seems to hit the hole the same way. Had some big games when given touches. 

I wonder if a guy like this has a huge price point difference vs Singletary… 

Some projections I saw on Mattison were like 2 million per and Singletary closer to 4-5 per. So on paper he should be cheaper. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

A few more…

Scotty Miller -WR-  Runs in the 4.3s and has shown off that speed in games. He catches the ball and has had some very good games in the past in which he kind of took over. He is coming off a bit of a down year. Looked like he could bust out and it just didn’t happen. 

Mitchell Wilcox -TE- He finally came around a bit this year with the Bengals. The just non tendered him and it seems some people feel it’s a bit of a controversial decision. He doesn’t really standout in any of his physical traits, but made some clutch plays for the Bengals this year. Perfect #2 type guy.  

Evan Brown -IOL- Mainly a center but can also play guard. I think he is interesting because of his outstanding RAS score coming out of SMU. He was pretty good filling in for an injured Frank Ragnow in 2021. Good depth and competition. 

Connor McGovern -IOL- I talked a lot about the Jets version, this is the cowboys one from Penn State. He played well in spots but Dallas never turned things over to him full time, I am not sure why. But I think there is something there. He can play center and guard and I think he has potentially as a starting guard. Still just 25, he is a former linemate of Ryan Bates at PSU. 6-5, 320, with long arms, he fits the profile, while he isn’t the athletic freak they usually seek

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Good list.

Would you consider Kaleb McGary (RT- JAX) or Jawaan Taylor (RT - ATL) as under the radar?

Brown (LT) and McGlinchey (RT) are the shiny FA OTs.

Taylor to an extent yes. I think he’s flying under the radar but I like him. 

I think McGary should get paid more than McGlinchey. They are both the same age, McGlinchey is a bigger name coming out of Notre Dame. I think McGary still has upside and potential whereas McGlinchey is probably maxed out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah the Settle, Saffold & Quessenberry signings were absolutely terrible.  Thank God Daquan stepped up and even outplayed Ed some games.  Beane has got to nail some FA picks next week. Missing on 3 out of 4 and Crowder being useless really hurt.

Settle played well when not dinged. so i am not down on him. Jones was a beast for us. So overpaid ??
Ed and Jones are different techs and types (size too  lol)
so apples to oranges I think there LA :)
But i surely agree this season is Beanes Boys and their biggest test yet !

Resolving the ones who leave. or not retained. And how the big holes are filled (Edmunds and Poyer )
Then fixing the weaknesses that O line showed because of Beanes.

Q and Saffold were looking like bad effort at this point for sure

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Scotty Miller -WR-  Runs in the 4.3s and has shown off that speed in games. He catches the ball and has had some very good games in the past in which he kind of took over. He is coming off a bit of a down year. Looked like he could bust out and it just didn’t happen. 

A lot of people don’t like him for some reason and call him trash. The only knock I’ve seen from him was Tampa fans being upset he jump’s occasionally for passes that really didn’t require jumping. Making the catch more difficult and ruining any yac. 
But he has jets and at worst I could see him playing a gadget role similar to McKenzie. Buffalo is lacking that burner speed and Miller should be a team friendly contract for whoever gets him, he still has a lot to prove. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A few more…

I have mentioned Josh need another John Brown.

Mitchell Wilcox -TE- He finally came around a bit this year with the Bengals. The just non tendered him and it seems some people feel it’s a bit of a controversial decision. He doesn’t really standout in any of his physical traits, but made some clutch plays for the Bengals this year. Perfect #2 type guy.  
Sweeney is gone. Give this kid a shot.
Evan Brown -IOL- Mainly a center but can also play guard. I think he is interesting because of his outstanding RAS score coming out of SMU. He was pretty good filling in for an injured Frank Ragnow in 2021. Good depth and competition. 
You know McBeanes love that versatility on the line lol. And we need to be grooming the next center asap

Connor McGovern -IOL- I talked a lot about the Jets version, this is the cowboys one from Penn State. He played well in spots but Dallas never turned things over to him full time, I am not sure why. But I think there is something there. He can play center and guard and I think he has potentially as a starting guard. Still just 25, he is a former linemate of Ryan Bates at PSU. 6-5, 320, with long arms, he fits the profile, while he isn’t the athletic freak they usually seek

Same as above.  + Kromer would put his skillset to good use

again great player fits and situations to ponder.

Thanks vey much

3rd

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't know what you consider to be a sleeper, but I've seem very little discussion of RB Jamaal Williams from Detroit. He's a downhill TD machine. Perfect complement to James Cook. His projected market value is around $4m AAV. I would take that deal and cut Hines.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know what you consider to be a sleeper, but I've seem very little discussion of RB Jamaal Williams from Detroit. He's a downhill TD machine. Perfect complement to James Cook. His projected market value is around $4m AAV. I would take that deal and cut Hines.

I like Williams, I like Mattison better though and I think he comes cheaper. But both are exactly the type of back I think we need. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Taylor to an extent yes. I think he’s flying under the radar but I like him. 

I think McGary should get paid more than McGlinchey. They are both the same age, McGlinchey is a bigger name coming out of Notre Dame. I think McGary still has upside and potential whereas McGlinchey is probably maxed out. 

Agree with you on McGary. I think he is the most balanced of the bunch. Only 5 penalties and 6 sacks allowed on 1051 snaps! 3.9% pressure against in pass blocking and PFF gave him a 91.6 run blocking grade. Just turned 28 in February. I think Atlanta goofed not exercising the 5th year option (he was a 1st round pick). Has only missed 2 games in 4 years. Starter in all of em. Improves every year.

Taylor is steadily improving each year and is only 25 (turns 26 in November). Never missed a game in 4 years. Starter in all of them too. 7 penalties and 5 sacks allowed on 1095 snaps. Better pass blocker than run blocker. Improving each year.

I think McGlinchey would be an improvement here but is overrated and a bit injury prone.

Turned 28 in January. 10 penalties! and 6 sacks allowed in 1036 snaps. He has missed games for stretches in 2 of 5 seasons. Balanced blocker though, and plays nasty in the run game. Agree he is maxed out.

Love Mattison (also kinda hated him because I had cook in a keeper league and always had to waste a spot on AM haha). this guy would be a perfect compliment to Cook. i have no idea what FA rbs get but he has little tread on his tire & could blow up in the right system. 

also, speaking of Vikings:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like Mattison better though and I think he comes cheaper.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love Mattison

Imagine working a job behind someone, waiting in the wings for your defining moment only to fall into the same role elsewhere and wait in the wings of the younger brother. Rough! 😂

Great option to acquire. Very underrated talent. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed.  He’s a hammer and brings a lot of attitude and swag to the locker room.  He’d be a great compliment to cook. 

On 3/10/2023 at 11:07 AM, DCofNC said:

We generally agree. I thought Settle and Crowder were going to be sneaky good FA signings. Both were busts IMO.

What injuries did Settle have? He dressed for 15 games and started 2 when other DTs went our with injury. He played 38% of defensive snaps, which is ok, but he was not good enough to earn more play time. I don't remember any plays where he flashed that occasional brilliance he did in Washington. It seemed to me most of the big runs against Buffalo where when Settle was in.

Anyone who watches line play knew Jones was a starter and being brought in to replace Star. He did exactly what was needed. I think he was one of the unsung heroes of the team last season. I don't recall Jones being that banged up until the end of the season, and boy did it show when he was out.

I guess Beane and some fans though Saffold was good? Not only did he milk it for a season, it made Bates move to RG where he is not as effective. Double mismanagement.

Quess/ Hart/ Maincz - agreed. I hope no one thought these were starting quality players. I honestly thought they played some decent ball at times given the MASH unit the OL was at times this season. All of these guys were sub average (-) players for their former teams. At least with a young guy you may find someone who had unknown or untapped potential.

The front office has to stop dillydallying with the OL. Signing 4-5 over the hill/ or subpar starters from other clubs is not getting it done. Instead of bringing in a half dozen warm bodies each offseason, go get an actual starter, who is under 30, and plays above average. Add the salary of the 5 or so guys each off-season and use it to get an actual OL that can play.

It irritates me so much to see it year after year.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Agree with you on McGary. I think he is the most balanced of the bunch. Only 5 penalties and 6 sacks allowed on 1051 snaps! 3.9% pressure against in pass blocking and PFF gave him a 91.6 run blocking grade. Just turned 28 in February. I think Atlanta goofed not exercising the 5th year option (he was a 1st round pick). Has only missed 2 games in 4 years. Starter in all of em. Improves every year.

Taylor is steadily improving each year and is only 25 (turns 26 in November). Never missed a game in 4 years. Starter in all of them too. 7 penalties and 5 sacks allowed on 1095 snaps. Better pass blocker than run blocker. Improving each year.

I think McGlinchey would be an improvement here but is overrated and a bit injury prone.

Turned 28 in January. 10 penalties! and 6 sacks allowed in 1036 snaps. He has missed games for stretches in 2 of 5 seasons. Balanced blocker though, and plays nasty in the run game. Agree he is maxed out.

They both suck in pass pro.   6 sacks isn't good by any means.   After 11 games this season Saffold was crowing that he hadn't allowed a sack per PFF.   He ended up only allowing 2 on 1058 snaps.   You saw how terrible he was.    Everyone thinks Spencer Brown was impossibly bad and he only allowed 4 sacks on 858 snaps per PFF.  

There aren't many good RT's because there doesn't need to be.   The focus by fans on trying to improve RT position with a big name is misguided.   You can have a good OL with a not good RT.   The quality of blockers is most important at LT and the guard positions.    RT's can be helped by TE and RB's chipping and the QB can see the rusher coming if he is right handed.   Centers aren't tasked with a lot of single blocking on passing downs anymore either.

Azeez Al-Shaahir LB-been a backup to Greenlaw and Warner but had a really good 2021 year. Still just 26 years old. Probably not going back to the 49ers but might end up in Houston because DeMeco Ryan’s is there now. 

David Edwards OG- Has been really good when healthy but hasn’t really been able to stay healthy

Richie James WR- Probably the most high profile guy out of the 3 but I loved watching him with the average Daniel Jones. I wonder what he can do with an upper end QB like Allen. I think he’s underrated and would be a solid add depending on cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Azeez Al-Shaahir LB-been a backup to Greenlaw and Warner but had a really good 2021 year. Still just 26 years old. Probably not going back to the 49ers but might end up in Houston because DeMeco Ryan’s is there now. 

David Edwards OG- Has been really good when healthy but hasn’t really been able to stay healthy

Richie James WR- Probably the most high profile guy out of the 3 but I loved watching him with the average Daniel Jones. I wonder what he can do with an upper end QB like Allen. I think he’s underrated and would be a solid add depending on cost. 

If I were a betting man, which I am not, I think David Edwards winds up a member of this team mid next week and winds up starting at guard. 

I am thinking Al-Shairr winds up with Houston, but we could do a lot worse at LB. He has some interesting traits. 

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

A lot of people don’t like him for some reason and call him trash. The only knock I’ve seen from him was Tampa fans being upset he jump’s occasionally for passes that really didn’t require jumping. Making the catch more difficult and ruining any yac. 
But he has jets and at worst I could see him playing a gadget role similar to McKenzie. Buffalo is lacking that burner speed and Miller should be a team friendly contract for whoever gets him, he still has a lot to prove. 

Having to leave your feet to catch the ball is a definite sign that you are a hack as a receiver......can't walk and chew gum.....so there is that.   That was the reason Andre Holmes sucked.   

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Edwards and James are on my short list of guys I could see us adding.

Edited by The Jokeman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.