Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

5 hours ago, Special K said:

Antonio Johnson S Texas A&M, but only if all top rated OL and WR are off the board, and dependent on how the Bills address the Safety position in FA.

As the resident Aggie fan on this board, I'm all for it!

• Like (+1) 1

There’s no defensive player I want at 27, I’ll puke if we take one I think. I don’t need some first round pick wasted on a scheme that’s lazy and doesn’t encourage play making. 

We badly need weapons and most importantly protection for josh. Which of course means we will waste the pick on a safety. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

There’s no defensive player I want at 27, I’ll puke if we take one I think. I don’t need some first round pick wasted on a scheme that’s lazy and doesn’t encourage play making. 

We badly need weapons and most importantly protection for josh. Which of course means we will waste the pick on a safety. 

If he does change alias to PukingInBeavercreek

• Haha (+1) 1

Oh there will be heads exploding during the draft.  ...

Much more available defensive talent in the first few rounds compared to high end offensive talent.   

🍿🍿🍿🍿

We MAY have a shot at the best OG in this class, but if a higher ranked defensive player is sitting there, do you look the other way?

38 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

There’s no better way to put it.

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

We badly need weapons and most importantly protection for josh.

I hear you. Hypothetically what if in FA we sign OBJ and Isaac Semeulo (or equivalent talents at the same positions), plugging our two biggest offensive holes before the draft? Then would you feel more comfortable with defense at pick 27?

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Jack Campbell 100%. I like Simpson and Sanders too and probably ok with it. 

If they fall, Brian Branch, Van Ness, Nolan Smith.

Tyree Wilson, Jalen Carter, Myles Murphy if for some crazy reason they fall. 

Top corner who might fall. 

Brian Branch and Nolan Smith I'd be okay with, as well as a top S or CB.  

Basically, I want a guy (preferably on offense) that has a high degree of likelihood of making an impact all year.  If no offensive players are left, then a D is fine.  

But, I'm not sure Van Ness fits that. He seems more of a "he should be good" guy than a guarantee type that you look for in Rd. 1, IMO.  I could be totally wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1

The answer is yes you take the best player at a premium position on whichever side of the ball is available unless you can trade the pick for a good player or more value.

If you draft for immediate need you end up with Cody Ford instead of DK Metcalf or AJ Brown.

The logic behind taking Ford was simple.........sure we may be passing on better players at more premium, but less immediately needed positions........but if Ford is at least solid at RT, it will work out fine.

But he wasn't at least solid.........he was terrible.

And that's the way drafts go............in the lead up to them it seems like very little separates tiers of players..........but in reality one pick could be a HOF'er and the one's on either side of that selection could be failures.

The early rounds of the draft are the place where you are most likely to find your superstar, foundational talents..........so you should aim high and not let temporary need dictate those choices.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not for a safety or a linebacker to replace the ones we lost to FA

For me on defense it is not about filling holes, it is about filling in a missing "type" of player. The kind that is okay getting in the face of opponents AND teammates and that opposing players are afraid to be hit by. We are missing size and physicality on defense. Many of us want the defense to start playing more of an attack style instead of a passive style against top offenses. Getting a big brute in the middle of the defense would be a good starting point.

Drafting a safety in the 1st I agree that would give me the sense of Beane just trying to fill a hole and personally I wouldn't be happy with that pick. The one that has been named, Antonio Johnson, I don't see a ceiling for him where he becomes a truly game changing player. You almost have to be an all-time great to be a game changer at safety. I think I would take any other position, even RB, before considering safety in the 1st.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The answer is yes you take the best player at a premium position on whichever side of the ball is available unless you can trade the pick for a good player or more value.

If you draft for immediate need you end up with Cody Ford instead of DK Metcalf or AJ Brown.

The logic behind taking Ford was simple.........sure we may be passing on better players at more premium, but less immediately needed positions........but if Ford is at least solid at RT, it will work out fine.

But he wasn't at least solid.........he was terrible.

And that's the way drafts go............in the lead up to them it seems like very little separates tiers of players..........but in reality one pick could be a HOF'er and the one's on either side of that selection could be failures.

The early rounds of the draft are the place where you are most likely to find your superstar, foundational talents..........so you should aim high and not let temporary need dictate those choices.

Beane at least to me has followed this strategy and his draft process has always been fine.  QB, MLB, DT, WR, DE, CB are all premium positions he used first round picks to obtain.  The problem is in the scouting department.  I remember Cody Ford being in the 20 to 30 range on most big boards and mock drafts before the 2019 draft.  He may have been there "aim high superstar" talent that they traded up to get when he slipped to the second round.  Boogie Basham was another pick where they thought they were getting great value at a premium position.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Most Bills fans understandably want an offensive player in the 1st round. I get it. But if the board falls a certain way, is there any defensive player realistically available at pick 27 that you would be happy with?

Irrespective of the player, no D guy in the first round.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.