Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Drafting Bijan would be something that Ralph Wilson would have demanded. Players like this thrilled Mr. Wilson because they put "fannies in the seats.' Remember, Ralph needed the ticket/concession income more than most owners. 

Bijan would make some great runs because of his talent if the OL could give him occasional running room. Then, fans would see this and say he is "good" or even "great." They would rationalize the pick but it probably would not result in so many wins due to the 2010 rule chages and once again, the OL.

Despite my blatant pessimism, I continue to watch the draft every year, just hoping for a good one. I don't get as upset as I used to. TSW posters would call me on the phone just to hear my stream of intense vulgarity after for instance the Leodis McKelvin pick lol. Now it's all good. I just continue to hope that we don't repeat the same dumb, costly mistakes.

Remember that Will Anderson said that he is the best player that he faced in college…

7 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

100%. Leodis ugh that hurt. Bijan sounds good in a vacuum until you remember our o line can’t run block so what good is he? We are also philosophically not a running team like the titans so why invest in a workhouse you won’t use? 

Agree with the comment we have to stop building our team backwards. We have the QB, now protect him and give him weapons. Doesn’t seem difficult to me. 

The good news is that QBs will be in higher demand this year which will push some good players down. Same could be true for CB. Just need a good WR or IOL to fall to us to help Josh. 

All that said, I fully expect to waste a pick on a safety. 

Safety may hardly be a wasted pick in this case, as that might be the best value we can get and a player of need meeting.

Does not change what Bills need to get on Offense this offseason.

Looking at this years need , I am starting to feel Beane indulged a bit last few year on that D line and now it might actually visibly hurt Us.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Remember that Will Anderson said that he is the best player that he faced in college…

Can Bills and Dorsey make full use of his talent with this O line ?
You know already my vote is no, they cant. Not yet anyways. Hines and Cook will give the Offense a running/passing game from the backfield.
They might need a bruiser from FA of the draft late pick.

I am fine with keeping Devin and investing in the RG position with a starter and hoping like hell Bates can man the LG next to Dion !

Or Two Guards and a Right tackle to push Brown . Too much to ask lol ?

Edited by 3rdand12

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Can Bills and Dorsey make full use of his talent with this O line ?
You know already my vote is no, they cant. Not yet anyways. Hines and Cook will give the Offense a running/passing game from the backfield.
They might need a bruiser from FA of the draft late pick.

I am fine with keeping Devin and investing in the RG position with a starter and hoping like hell Bates can man the LG next to Dion !

Or Two Guards and a Right tackle to push Brown . Too much to ask lol ?

I’m not advocating for it but am certainly open to it. Say  Bijan is 5 on their big board and they project him as an all-pro. If the highest WR or OL is 43 and they project him as a quality starter, what makes more sense? To me, it’s MUCH better to get a cost controlled star than a decent OL or WR. I can draft them when the value might be there (rounds 2 and 3).

It isn’t likely to matter though because Bijan is probably gone. He’s just an interesting discussion because he’s a can’t miss star at a low value position. He is probably the safest player in this draft. The TEs are probably a more realistic conversation and they all have some questions.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/6/2023 at 4:39 AM, 3rdand12 said:

Many of of us have asked for MLB who does just that, sets the tone. Plays aggressive to ball. Especially in the run game.

That would be a great tweak to the defense !
I have felt they held on to Edmunds to long more because he affected how the Defense played. To its detriment. yes i said it
 They used him more for his height and wingspan and perceived speed to the sideline.
Get a guy who doesnt get washed and has better instincts . Let Milano and T Johnson run around with their hair on fire lol

Many of us have asked for that. Many of us have asked for a lot of things, some bizarre, some reasonable, some might happen, others probably not. People shout a lot of stuff from the cheap seats.

They've fielded an excellent defense for a long time now. No particular reason to think they'll change the scheme unless forced to by circumstances.

And part of the reason Milano in particular can run around with his hair on fire is precisely that that Edmunds is behind them not running around with his hair on fire, being more analytical, diagnosing and filling holes. They play complementary roles.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It helped that Texas ran 47% pass plays. Will Buffalo do the same?

He is really good, no question. But picking him runs into opportunity cost problems and the fact that you don't want to take the ball out of Josh's hands too much.

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It helped that Texas ran 47% pass plays. Will Buffalo do the same?

He is really good, no question. But picking him runs into opportunity cost problems and the fact that you don't want to take the ball out of Josh's hands too much.

So I think the opportunity cost bit is less of a concern to me in this draft. I know that star players still come out of bad drafts, but I worry less about drafting a safer bet non-premium position in this class than in most others. The reason I still lean away from draft a running back round 1 is the second of your reasons. I don't want any temptation to take the Ball out of Josh's hands. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

So I think the opportunity cost bit is less of a concern to me in this draft. I know that star players still come out of bad drafts, but I worry less about drafting a safer bet non-premium position in this class than in most others. The reason I still lean away from draft a running back round 1 is the second of your reasons. I don't want any temptation to take the Ball out of Josh's hands. 

That’s a fair concern to me. It probably is a moot point as he likely won’t be there. The TEs are more interesting because they are probably considered “better prospects” than the WRs or OL likely to be available at 27. They all have holes though. That’s why they are different from the Bijan conversation. He’s pretty much “can’t miss” imo. The TEs have ability but potential downside. Is Kincaid a better idea than Hyatt, Downs or Schmitz at 27? 

This is such a weird draft to me. It’s not a good class (certainly at the top). The Bills still need to find contributors so what is the best allocation of resources. This isn’t a year where they can spend a 3rd and get the same production that they got from Bernard as a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree, but I’d like to take the rushing load off Allen by a considerable amount otherwise he may have a shorter career than we hope.

• Disagree 1

I want BPA, I don't care if it is offense or Defense. At pick 28 you shouldn't pigeon hole into a position. Outside of qb or obvious positions you don't pick in the 1st like punter every position should be in play. If you pigeon your hole choices that is how you wind up making decisions like taking Boogie Basham over Creed Humphrey back in 2021. Just give me bpa after plugging our blatant holes in free agency before hand with cheap solid to average veterans. 

On 3/6/2023 at 1:55 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

Good on ya, mate!

Arguably the funniest misspelling in TBD history....

Thanks!  Hard to type on a phone with eyes that are over 60 years old.  Chuckled at my error.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You do that by getting him a better line and receivers so he doesn’t feel he needs to play backyard football and run over linebackers.

Totally aligned, but is there a worthwhile OL to be had there?  Likely an OT available, but is OG/C a premium position for round 1?

• Agree 1

Honestly, all that matters is that we hit on the picks - especially in the early rounds.

If we go w/ defense on our 1st pick, I don't really care that much (though I'd probably steer clear of this board for a day).  What matters is that whoever we pick can step in as a rookie and make the kind of impact a 1st rounder should make.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

After the Combine, absolutely not. 

There should be someone on offense for the Bills to take with at least 4 QBs going in the 1st Round and the Dolphins forfeiting their pick. 

Why who impressed you at the combine? I thought it was mainly very meh. Like the class as a whole.

On 3/7/2023 at 1:42 PM, GunnerBill said:

In this scheme I do think he is a developmental MLB.... but a bit like we did with Tremaine you are gonna go through some growing pains. I think he is a will in a 3-4 if you want him to be good early. 

The growing pains with Edmunds never ended

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.