Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

Bills will have major hoes to fill.  O line, Safety and LB are major areas.   I hope they trade out of 27 and move into the second round.  Pick up extra picks.  Deep draft in Safety so that can be addressed in mid rounds.   Building a successful team you do it front to back, inside out.   O line for the first or second pick.   With Edmunds hitting FA the glaring need for an LB is obvious.  I expect the Bills to use the first pick to replace him.  Defense will be different next season.  Whoever gets Edmunds will get a difference maker.  

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

WR and OL are my wishes but I’m not sure that a WR, of value, will make it to 27. He OL will have some guys there maybe but possibly not great fits. This class gives me anxiety. 

This is the spot I'm at as well. The more I look at the class the more I find it hard to believe a 1st round caliber WR or OL will be there at pick 27. Those positions are too valuable. Last year I thought for sure Jahan Dotson would be a possibility for us and instead he went several picks before. It's why I'm thinking as much as most Bills fans would hate it we may be forced to take a front 7 player to use the value of our pick properly.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Campbell to me belongs in a 3-4 or a team who play a more conventional 4-3 base and just ask their MLB to attack the line of scrimmage. 

Have you considered the Bills might want to start developing a defensive scheme that works with prototypical  NFL linebackers, and does not rely a very rare combination of physical measurements. Most teams seem to be limited by "need" "positional value" and "best player available" while drafting.  Bills seem to have all of that plus "must have physical traits to fit wierd and unusual scheme"

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Seriously?

They serious.  

And if Buffalo goes safety in the first, maybe they can have former NFL safety and Buffalo HC Dick Jauron come back and make the pick to honor his run of 3 straight 7-9 seasons.  It'd be magical.    

• Haha (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Have you considered the Bills might want to start developing a defensive scheme that works with prototypical  NFL linebackers, and does not rely a very rare combination of physical measurements. Most teams seem to be limited by "need" "positional value" and "best player available" while drafting.  Bills seem to have all of that plus "must have physical traits to fit wierd and unusual scheme"

I have considered they might change scheme. But I am not sure they will, or indeed should.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think Beane will draft a safety in the 1st round. They've gotten production out of that position from exclusively late round picks. He has treated 1st round picks with proper positional value every year so I'll be surprised if he suddenly breaks that trend.

So what do you in the event that all the top WRs and OL are off the board? In that scenario we are either looking at a trade down, or drafting the best front 7 player available.

I created this thread because to a lot of Bills fans an offensive player is a foregone conclusion at pick 27. But the board could fall a certain way to where there is no value left on offense. And then Nolan Smith, Lukas Van Ness, Jack Campbell, a player like that could seriously be in contention.

Absolutely clamoring for a trade down in that scenario. It'll hurt less if we go defense after a trade down, and they're bpa at a pos of need

But defense is a diminished return in this league.

I take a B+ off player over an A defensive player. Depending on situation maybe even B over an A. Not because of need, but the way nfl rules have gone and continue to go. Is what it is

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that I can. It would have to be some freakish situation where someone absolutely plummets (like Carter 😂😂). If this situation gets a whole lot worse, maybe I could make that work but he’s going to go in the top 5. 

I’m in the camp of Bijan or TE > defense. WR and OL are my wishes but I’m not sure that a WR, of value, will make it to 27. He OL will have some guys there maybe but possibly not great fits. This class gives me anxiety. 

Dalton Kincaid at #27?

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have considered they might change scheme. But I am not sure they will, or indeed should.

Let me phrase the question another way.  Should factoring in personnel availability be a significant factor in scheme development? Why make it harder than it needs to be? Maybe there is a good reason, it is a real question. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dalton Kincaid at #27?

I don’t think he’ll be there.  I’d be in favor of it. I think he could be special.  I think he might be a better pass target than anyone in the draft not named Johnston, addison or JSN.  Maybe better than all 3 of them.  Throw him in the slot next to knox.  Dude can get open, catch good passes and catch passes he has no right catching.  Love his potential with Josh in the scramble drill a la Mahomes and Kelce.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

because player or position ?

If Edmunds walks (and I am okay with that ) Bills will than have an Elephant in the room. That position will have to be solved not just patched over.

If Edmunds walks I think Bills are changing their defense and Bills may be looking for 2 LBs potentially who can start.  

I like Taron Johnson and was going to get his jersey before he changed number (Always avoid Jerseys with single digit and Johnson on name plate) I do not see the defense without a Edmunds equivalent.   They could use AJ Klein on a team friendly contract temporarily but the defense is going to need to be changed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think he’ll be there.  I’d be in favor of it. I think he could be special.  I think he might be a better pass target than anyone in the draft not named Johnston, addison or JSN.  Maybe better than all 3 of them.  Throw him in the slot next to knox.  Dude can get open, catch good passes and catch passes he has no right catching.  Love his potential with Josh in the scramble drill a la Mahomes and Kelce.  

A TE in the 1st when this TE class is supposedly one of the best in years? Doesn't seem to me like the best use of draft capital. Plus we aren't even using Knox properly. 🤔

@GunnerBillthoughts on Trenton Simpson? He seems more in line with what they look for typically. Came off the edge a lot last year, a bit more in the box this year. I like him a lot, but I love Campbell too. Just a different type of backer. 

Drew Sanders seems like a Tremaine clone, with more playmaking ability, bug I am not sure he is a fit either. 

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dalton Kincaid at #27?

I just put on a video of him and wow I found my newest draft crush. TE wasn't even on my radar in the 1st but his motion looks so fluid and he looks so natural plucking the ball out of the air. You think he complements Knox well if we want to do more 12 personnel?

At pick 27 we might have to settle for a weird position like TE or LB if we want to maximize the value of the pick. If the goal is offense only I'd be happy picking a potentially elite pass catching TE like Kincaid and figure out how to fit him into our roster.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

They serious.  

And if Buffalo goes safety in the first, maybe they can have former NFL safety and Buffalo HC Dick Jauron come back and make the pick to honor his run of 3 straight 7-9 seasons.  It'd be magical.    

Yes, he can come to the podium with Donte Whitner. 

18 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

A TE in the 1st when this TE class is supposedly one of the best in years? Doesn't seem to me like the best use of draft capital. Plus we aren't even using Knox properly. 🤔

I agree- and generally speaking, drafting a TE in rd 1 is a terrible idea.  I just love the player and think he could be special.  As a red zone target, he could be elite.  I don’t think any of the WRs are going to be special.  

I think he can lineup in the slot and outside and in time with added strength could be effective inline.  We need playmakers-  he could be the best in the draft.  A guy that Josh can just throw it up to and be confidant he’ll bring it down.  We need targets that have the ability to excel in contested catches.  He’s that guy. Or maybe I’m completely overrating him.  🤣 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.