Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Many of us have asked for that. Many of us have asked for a lot of things, some bizarre, some reasonable, some might happen, others probably not. People shout a lot of stuff from the cheap seats.

They've fielded an excellent defense for a long time now. No particular reason to think they'll change the scheme unless forced to by circumstances.

And part of the reason Milano in particular can run around with his hair on fire is precisely that that Edmunds is behind them not running around with his hair on fire, being more analytical, diagnosing and filling holes. They play complementary roles.

By design they are complimentary. That's signature McDermott !
 I think we might improve on filling those gaps and lanes post Edmunds.
Circumstance will force some tweaks. Sean alluded to as much

and i will continue to voice my opinions from my very cheap seat. LOL
Thanks for note Thurman :)

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s coming off of a really good year (his best). That’s why someone will pay him a bunch of money. His length and range will be really hard to replicate. Edmunds is a very good LB. 

Good business strategy on his part ?

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

By design they are complimentary. That's signature McDermott !
 I think we might improve on filling those gaps and lanes post Edmunds.
Circumstance will force some tweaks. Sean alluded to as much

and i will continue to voice my opinions from my very cheap seat. LOL
Thanks for note Thurman :)

Good business strategy on his part ?

Getting to FA is a win for him. I was hoping that the Bills could retain him on a decent number. He’s looking at a number like Roquan IMO (5 years $120M $45M guaranteed).

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I disagree.  I think we’ll see what Edmunds did for the pass defense in the middle of the field if he leaves.

Yea can’t look as bad vs cincy. He’s Not worth it 

move on ppl 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dje85 said:

I want BPA, I don't care if it is offense or Defense. At pick 28 you shouldn't pigeon hole into a position. Outside of qb or obvious positions you don't pick in the 1st like punter every position should be in play. If you pigeon your hole choices that is how you wind up making decisions like taking Boogie Basham over Creed Humphrey back in 2021. Just give me bpa after plugging our blatant holes in free agency before hand with cheap solid to average veterans. 

I agree with the point you're making about BPA, but wasn't Basham a BPA pick? They had just taken a DE in rd 1 and grabbed Basham, another DE, in rd 2 because he was BPA on their board.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Why who impressed you at the combine? I thought it was mainly very meh. Like the class as a whole.

In terms of WR, I think it fell nicely for the Bills. 

I think Zay Flowers had a good combine (4.42-1.53-35.5"-10'7"), but not so good that he wouldn't be there. 

If Jalin Hyatt had run 4.29-4.38 he most likely doesn't get past the Chargers at #21. Now at 4.40-1.50-40"-11'3" does he make it to the Bills at #27? Still huge explosion and 4.40 flat is plenty fast enough. 

Also, both guys are small, Flowers at 182 and Hyatt 180. 

Jaxson Smith-Ngijba did more than enough to cement Top 20 pick status, and Quinton Johnson did too with 40.5" vertical and 11'2" broad. Those are great numbers. 

You have to hope that Bijan did enough to make someone draft him before the Bills, and Gibbs had a big combine too. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You do that by getting him a better line and receivers so he doesn’t feel he needs to play backyard football and run over linebackers.

Have you looked into the draft prospects yet?  Do you have any particular guys that you want or don’t want in round one or 2?

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

In terms of WR, I think it fell nicely for the Bills. 

I think Zay Flowers had a good combine (4.42-1.53-35.5"-10'7"), but not so good that he wouldn't be there. 

If Jalin Hyatt had run 4.29-4.38 he most likely doesn't get past the Chargers at #21. Now at 4.40-1.50-40"-11'3" does he make it to the Bills at #27? Still huge explosion and 4.40 flat is plenty fast enough. 

Also, both guys are small, Flowers at 182 and Hyatt 180. 

Jaxson Smith-Ngijba did more than enough to cement Top 20 pick status, and Quinton Johnson did too with 40.5" vertical and 11'2" broad. Those are great numbers. 

You have to hope that Bijan did enough to make someone draft him before the Bills, and Gibbs had a big combine too. 

When the combine is a "good combine" because players performed less well than expected so that means we might be able to draft a player who isn't as explosive as people hoped I don't think that is a good combine. 

I wasn't super high on either of those guys before the combine, I'm certainly not any higher now. I know, I am a misery guts about this draft. I hate the class. Unless something really strange happens I doubt there is a single option that will have me punching the air when the Bills pick at #27. You can take Zay Flowers who gets outmuscled by fresh air or Jalin Hyatt who can run one route after both have shown to be slower than expected and that is supposed to be a good thing? Ugh. 

Trade back, don't bother with more picks for this year. These players suck. Trade back and try and pick up some more ammo for 2024. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When the combine is a "good combine" because players performed less well than expected so that means we might be able to draft a player who isn't as explosive as people hoped I don't think that is a good combine. 

I wasn't super high on either of those guys before the combine, I'm certainly not any higher now. I know, I am a misery guts about this draft. I hate the class. Unless something really strange happens I doubt there is a single option that will have me punching the air when the Bills pick at #27. You can take Zay Flowers who gets outmuscled by fresh air or Jalin Hyatt who can run one route after both have shown to be slower than expected and that is supposed to be a good thing? Ugh. 

Trade back, don't bother with more picks for this year. These players suck. Trade back and try and pick up some more ammo for 2024. 

I'm with you on trying to find someone at 27. The rest of the draft at least I can see some reasonable choices, but will depend on what/if we do in FA.

Maybe Beane should pull off a Diggs trade and use 27 to find a WR instead of drafting someone?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well, I think the dumbest thing the Bills could do is lose Edmunds and Poyer, and then turn around immediately and take Campbell or Antonio Johnson at #27.

Thats how the 2005-2012 Bills did things with Jauron and Brandon. 

Also, people do realize that if there was a Julio Jones in this draft, or a Calvin Johnson, or a Garrett Wilson, the class would be better, but at #27 none of those players would be there right?

I don't see a good draft, bad draft, you're picking late in every round, so there are no more blue chippers anymore. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

20 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well, I think the dumbest thing the Bills could do is lose Edmunds and Poyer, and then turn around immediately and take Campbell or Antonio Johnson at #27.

Thats how the 2005-2012 Bills did things with Jauron and Brandon. 

Also, people do realize that if there was a Julio Jones in this draft, or a Calvin Johnson, or a Garrett Wilson, the class would be better, but at #27 none of those players would be there right?

I don't see a good draft, bad draft, you're picking late in every round, so there are no more blue chippers anymore. 

1st point - I'm not advocating for that.

2nd point - sure, but the impact of more blue chippers is more legit 1st round guys get to later in the first.

3rd point - this is a bad draft IMO. One of the weakest in several years. We are talking here about drafting receivers in the 1st round who would not have been locks for round 2 a year ago. 

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

2nd point - sure, but the impact of more blue chippers is more legit 1st round guys get to later in the first.

3rd point - this is a bad draft IMO. One of the weakest in several years. We are talking here about drafting receivers in the 1st round who would not have been locks for round 2 a year ago. 

I agree, it is depressing.  At this point, maybe best to stick to high-floor guys and hope that you get solid contributions from hopefully the first 3 rounds.  That doesn’t mean that they have to start this year to be considered a contributor, but hopefully eventually they will get 2-3 decent starters out of this draft.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree with the point you're making about BPA, but wasn't Basham a BPA pick? They had just taken a DE in rd 1 and grabbed Basham, another DE, in rd 2 because he was BPA on their board.

I'm not sure, I know the Bills want us to believe that and he may have been but I believe the Bills wanted a DE rotation and sort of pidgeon hole selected a second DE. Probably earlier than they would have since Basham was higher on their board than other De's available that they felt they could get later on. 

That said I hope he wasn't a true bpa pick to the Bills at that point. If so then we have a huge scouting problem. I threw things when we chose Basham over several other prospects at that point. Though I admit a few of those guys I would of preferred at that time have been non existant and terrible as well. Poor draft that year imo but one of the top guys I wanted at that time who I feel should of been a no brainer top bpa pick was Creed Humprey.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Well Gunner, according to Mike Schopp, no team, no scout can truly know who will be good and bad in the NFL. 

It’s all a dart throw and the more darts you have the better your odds. 

I have a feeling this draft will be like a ton of drafts before it. Players picked higher will generally be better than those picked in Rounds 4-7.

If you added 10 more great players to this draft, it doesn’t change the fact that the Bills have 3 picks in the Top 100, and only 6 picks total.

Have the Bills always done better in stronger drafts on the back of it was just a stronger draft? 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DapperCam said:

If we spend our cap in FA and trades for the offense, then I would be okay with drafting defense. No matter how you slice it, we need a legit Saffold replacement and WR2. I don’t really care where they come from.

Right - if we sign a risner or similar.  And add say Robert Woods or keenan allen.  It doesn't fly off the page at all, but id understand if they went with a DT or something like that in the first round.  

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Mostly the WRs. Not a fan of using a first rounder on Flowers, or Hyatt. I like JSN quite a bit from what I’ve seen. I like Rice as well… 

Haven’t looked at offensive line. Would absolutely hate safety or LB to replace Poyer/Edmunds…. From what I’ve read trade down seems like the best option. 

Yeah, I feel the same about Hyatt after wanting him at first.  I love the speed, but question the rest of his WR skills.  

Flowers I’ve come around to, but still don’t see him as a 1st rd pick.  

JSN or Addison would be great fits.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Have the Bills always done better in stronger drafts on the back of it was just a stronger draft? 

Our best two recent efforts 2017 and 2018 were good drafts. They have each had 21 1st team all pro selections from them so far. Compare that to 2015 which was, even at the time, acknowledged to be a weaker draft, with only 11 (despite a 2/3 year headstart).

I don't buy and have never bought the "it's a total crapshoot" argument. It isn't an exact science, but it isn't a crapshoot either. 

Of course players picked higher will be more likely to be better players if your only comparison is to THIS draft. If you really want to know how good a draft it is you have to compare them to their peers when they arrive in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree, it is depressing.  At this point, maybe best to stick to high-floor guys and hope that you get solid contributions from hopefully the first 3 rounds.  That doesn’t mean that they have to start this year to be considered a contributor, but hopefully eventually they will get 2-3 decent starters out of this draft.  

That is where I am tbh. More than any other draft I'd be willing to move around the board and target 3-4 guys I see as high floor contributors even if they are never gonna have the ceiling to be stars.

I have been vocal about the Bills needing more difference makers. This draft probably isn't the place they will find them.

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.