Is there any defensive player you'd be happy with at pick 27?

HappyDays

On 3/5/2023 at 1:17 PM, HappyDays said:

Most Bills fans understandably want an offensive player in the 1st round. I get it. But if the board falls a certain way, is there any defensive player realistically available at pick 27 that you would be happy with?

I have mentioned elsewhere that my guy on defense is LB Jack Campbell. He wouldn't be my first preference at pick 27 but I've grown to like him enough that I would be happy with him as the pick there. He brings a size and physicality to the defense that we don't currently have and I think filling that missing element is just as important as filling some of our holes on offense.

To be honest I’m not in love with this draft so we need to take the bpa no matter the position other then QB. This team needs studs and it doesn’t matter where they play. 

On 3/5/2023 at 1:47 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah, I'm sick and tired of ignoring Josh. Find a Tremaine or Poyer replacement in FA.  I want 4 and 5 year rookie contracts surrounding 17.  And I'm not as obsessed about bpa as some are. You should always draft bpa "of need".  Gotta be OL or WR2.

The Wrs are not good in this draft people are gonna find out real quick there all pretty much 2nd day prospects. Wait until next yr for the Wr. I know u don’t want to hear it but u don’t want to force a Pk and get stuck with a player u don’t want. 

13 hours ago, corta765 said:

Gandalf or Sauron because they could single handily stop the entire offense

We just need to draft the precious....

Under no circumstances should we draft a 1st round replacement for Poyer or Edmunds.  Benford can play safety and we can easily find a low cost fa LB for Edmunds. I want either JSN or the best OT left at 27.  Avila at 59.  Demario Douglas in the 5th round. 

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The Wrs are not good in this draft people are gonna find out real quick there all pretty much 2nd day prospects. Wait until next yr for the Wr. I know u don’t want to hear it but u don’t want to force a Pk and get stuck with a player u don’t want. 

I think some wrs are going to surprise people. Addison, JSN, Flowers and Tillman all impressed me at the combine drills.  It's not a forced pick if you don't have incompetent scouts.  We don't have the luxury to wait till next year to start grabbing wrs for Josh.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think some wrs are going to surprise people. Addison, JSN, Flowers and Tillman all impressed me at the combine drills.  It's not a forced pick if you don't have incompetent scouts.  We don't have the luxury to wait till next year to start grabbing wrs for Josh.

I wish I thought there were difference makers at WR to shoot at. I still think the Bills have to take a WR somewhere in the first couple of rounds. Davis is in his final year, Diggs is the age he is and feeling a bit disgruntled and as of the current moment we do not have a single other outside receiver beyond a couple of futures contracts on the roster. So they are going to have to take a shot at someone. I'm just not sure they are going to find a guy who makes a major impact. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Think they have to get creative and trade for a veteran… someone like Jeudy… A good 1B receiver across from Diggs should be priority number one this off-season IMO

I'll be disappointed if they leave BOTH OL and WR to this questionable draft to solve. Make a vet move at one of those spots, trade away your 3rd or something. Then sure, take a punt on the other spot in the draft but they have to be aggressive on helping this offense. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Think they have to get creative and trade for a veteran… someone like Jeudy… A good 1B receiver across from Diggs should be priority number one this off-season IMO

I agree with this. I put in another thread wondering if we could do a trade for Pittman on the Colts. They are desperate for a qb and may need some draft capital to get who they want. Plus they just got Pierce last year and they could re-sign Campbell. 🤔. Last year of his rookie deal, then we could choose between Davis and Pittman next year as our 1b/2.

Or maybe instead of going fishing for players to replace the NFL caliber players we already have, maybe, just maybe, we could coach up our current players to perform better on a consistent basis. (Just a thought.) I am not convinced that Gabe Davis has to be thrown in the dumpster. We have all seen him perform from time to time. His problem is not athleticism …it’s consistency! 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Davis has been in the league 3 years and has consistently shown who he is…. McBeane would be fools to simply standby and wait for him to suddenly develop into a good option across from Diggs. Shakir 100% agree… outside of that who are you talking about offensively? 

I disagree on Davis. He’s definitely had his moments. Many of them. His problem is consistency in hanging onto the ball when challenged at the point of the catch. The coaching staff can definitely work on that with him. As regards the other skill positions, Singletary has consistently been merely average at best, and Knox simply isn’t thrown to in this offense. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or maybe instead of going fishing for players to replace the NFL caliber players we already have, maybe, just maybe, we could coach up our current players to perform better on a consistent basis. (Just a thought.) I am not convinced that Gabe Davis has to be thrown in the dumpster. We have all seen him perform from time to time. His problem is not athleticism …it’s consistency! 

Gabe Davis is a model of consistency.   You know what you have.   Not fast, not quick, very poor in contested catch situations due to modest ball skills/concentration.........but a big target and very good at running the routes he does well, some of which create big plays.   I think you are confusing skill with consistency.    He has never been any of those things that he's not good at.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

His career problem has been consistency… Going into the season with Davis cemented as your #2 would be terrible management considering his 3 year career to this point.

I don’t completely disagree but I’m more interested in using draft picks on positions that are in way worse shape, like the offensive line. Remember this thread is about Pick 27. 

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gabe Davis is a model of consistency.   You know what you have.   Not fast, not quick, very poor in contested catch situations due to modest ball skills/concentration.........but a big target and very good at running the routes he does well, some of which create big plays.   I think you are confusing skill with consistency.    He has never been any of those things that he's not good at.  

I think in his credit column you have to give him decent feet at the line - his get off package is the one bit of his game I think you can legit say has improved since he came into the league and also above average body control for a bigger guy. But I agree with you he has largely been the same guy all 3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh… WR opposite Diggs is the biggest bang for your buck for offensive improvement and one of the easier fixes than a completely offensive line overhaul. 

We’re definitely going to disagree there. While not sexy, this team desperately needs two young stud Guards to anchor the middle of the line for the remaining years of Allen’s contract. They’ll be cheap for the duration, and improve both the passing and running game way more than a rookie WR that at the very best will catch four passes per game (maybe one or two more than Gabe would’ve caught). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’re definitely going to disagree there. While not sexy, this team desperately needs two young stud Guards to anchor the middle of the line for the remaining years of Allen’s contract. They’ll be cheap for the duration, and improve both the passing and running game way more than a rookie WR that at the very best will catch four passes per game (maybe one or two more than Gabe would’ve caught). 

One beast starter at RG.
at least. Maybe another guard who can graduate to C next year or two behind Morse

But where do they find these ? this is the issue !

I am not against Def at 27 as long as the Fix/not patch, the RG and LG position. Bates might be part of the answer??

Gonna have to replace Tremaine it sure seems. Need a safety as who can play next to Hyde right away.

Edited by 3rdand12

On 3/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I disagree on Davis. He’s definitely had his moments. Many of them. His problem is consistency in hanging onto the ball when challenged at the point of the catch. The coaching staff can definitely work on that with him. As regards the other skill positions, Singletary has consistently been merely average at best, and Knox simply isn’t thrown to in this offense. 

I think Davis is one of the better #2 Wrs in the NFL . He’s in the same mold as a Dj Chark or MVS he’s pretty much in top 15 of #2s in the league. Your right here does have his good and moments but there’s not much #2s that don’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, BullBuchanan said:

Yep - Trenton Simpson or Jack Campbell

Congratulations on the first person that mentioned Trent Simpson! He is my number one choice.

Simpson is still falling under the radar to me. That will change as we approach the draft as his athleticism will not be denied.

Simpson is capable of playing middle linebacker in variations of the Tampa Bay Cover Two.

He has the possibility of being electric in the middle for the Bills for years to come. Future All-Pro.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.