What are some good, easy meals my wife can’t screw up?

Einstein

17 minutes ago, teef said:

it does take a lot of practice.  we recently took my aunt to a class at the local culinary center.  at the beginning of the class they spent some time going over prepping, and my god what a difference that made.  if you know how to prep, it becomes much more fun.  i'm still clunky with it, but a few tips go a long way.

Like filling your basement with freeze dried meals, guns, and seeds or basic mise en place and knife skills?

It sounds silly, but everyone starting out cooking should youtube "how to chop...." every common vegetable and aromatic.  Basic knife skills save so much time in the kitchen.  Pre-measuring all your ingredients is clutch for general organization and any fast moving dish like stir fries.

Edited by Jauronimo

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is how I've always thawed shrimp, too.

It's really not an issue when it thaws that quickly so long as you're putting it to heat shortly after. If you're fussy about it you should disinfect your sink afterward but odds are it'll be fine regardless.

That's why when I'm picking the meals for next week on HelloFresh I'm sure to sort by prep time. They have a good number of dishes every week that can really be done in 30min (or less).

https://www.hellofresh.com/recipes/one-pot-chicken-sausage-chickpea-soup-6398d1982d19cd78ac09a921

That one is a classic we get every time it's available. Literally just chop 1 onion and dump everything into the pot, and it's spicy and delicious in like 20 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Like filling your basement with freeze dried meals, guns, and seeds or basic mise en place and knife skills?

It sounds silly, but everyone starting out cooking should youtube "how to chop...." every common vegetable and aromatic.  Basic knife skills save so much time in the kitchen.  Pre-measuring all your ingredients is clutch for general organization and any fast moving dish like stir fries.

this is the truth.  at the class i mentioned, the lead chef spent about 15 mins on chopping.  it consisted of how to hold the knife, to cut different vegetables, to keeping them the same size for even cooking.  it really moved things along.  i know they have a class on knives and cutting, but i don't see it on the list right now.  there is a class on 2/19 about beef butchery.  if you've never taken a class here, think about it when you're back in the area.  it's a ton of fun, and people just drink through out.  they built the lake house right behind it, so it's a nice weekend get away.

https://www.nykitchen.com/

https://www.lakehousecanandaigua.com/

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's why when I'm picking the meals for next week on HelloFresh I'm sure to sort by prep time. They have a good number of dishes every week that can really be done in 30min (or less).

https://www.hellofresh.com/recipes/one-pot-chicken-sausage-chickpea-soup-6398d1982d19cd78ac09a921

That one is a classic we get every time it's available. Literally just chop 1 onion and dump everything into the pot, and it's spicy and delicious in like 20 minutes.

This one looks good. Thanks, I will keep an eye out for it.

• Like (+1) 1

Since you like carbs, breakfast for dinner might work for you.  Pancakes or french toast, sausage, bacon or ham, some home fries in an air fryer etc.  Costco getting lots of deserved love but not an option for me, nor is Wegmans.  Can't beat the prices at Aldi and often good quality, unique options.  Try the frozen bake and eat strudel or frangiepan.  lots of carbs there! Also frozen mussels in sauce can be made into a curry quickly or just eaten with a side

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

none of the breaded stuff etc, just the fish! And the 20-25 shrimp great for pastas, currys etc...throw em under the faucet in a colander for 5 minutes and they ready to go! BTW, the packaging ALWAYS says to not defrost in this way, but i been doing it that way for twenty years, never had an issue!

I’ve enjoyed their gigantic shrimp many times, but I looked at the frozen fish options for the first time today. We do a LOT of fish, and I’ll be going back to try some of that. I had other errands to run so didn’t grab anything frozen today, but the prices for things like sea bass and halibut (usually VERY expensive!) seemed extremely reasonable. Like $5/portion of sea bass that will cost you $36-$48 (with bok choy -why do they almost always put bok choy with sea bass?) at a restaurant. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve enjoyed their gigantic shrimp many times, but I looked at the frozen fish options for the first time today. We do a LOT of fish, and I’ll be going back to try some of that. I had other errands to run so didn’t grab anything frozen today, but the prices for things like sea bass and halibut (usually VERY expensive!) seemed extremely reasonable. Like $5/portion of sea bass that will cost you $36-$48 (with bok choy -why do they almost always put bok choy with sea bass?) at a restaurant. 

word of caution their sea bass might not , and prolly is not, Chilean Sea Bass( Pantagonian Toothfish did not sell well!) 

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

word of caution their sea bass might not , and prolly is not, Chilean Sea Bass( Pantagonian Toothfish did not sell well!) 

I believe it actually said Chilean, but I could be wrong there. I’ll pay closer attention net time, but just hearing Patagonian Toothfish is making me hungry!!! 

Here’s another quick one.  Buy a bag of the frozen mini meatballs.  Throw some in the oven.  Cut up some bell peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms.  Saute up the veggies in a little olive oil and then throw in the cooked meatballs and a couple jars of marinara.  Serve over pasta.  Bada bing!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, teef said:

this is the truth.  at the class i mentioned, the lead chef spent about 15 mins on chopping.  it consisted of how to hold the knife, to cut different vegetables, to keeping them the same size for even cooking.  it really moved things along.  i know they have a class on knives and cutting, but i don't see it on the list right now.  there is a class on 2/19 about beef butchery.  if you've never taken a class here, think about it when you're back in the area.  it's a ton of fun, and people just drink through out.  they built the lake house right behind it, so it's a nice weekend get away.

https://www.nykitchen.com/

https://www.lakehousecanandaigua.com/

We went to a cooking class at the Viking store a few years ago. About half the people there and already attended the knife skills class. I don’t know what they chopped all night, but it really makes sense. If you can prep quick and easy, the whole experience is better. That is especially true with a vegetarian now in the family. That leads to a LOT of knife work! 

One potential downside to the knife skills class, and I’m not sure how they handled it: at our class there was no wine until we put the knives away. That could be a deal breaker!  😋

22 hours ago, Einstein said:

Her words, not mine. “Find me some recipes that actually taste good (not just bland steak and broccoli) that I won’t screw up?”

What do you got?

If your wife is asking that, she's probably not much of a cook, in which case it doesn't matter.

My advice would be for BOTH of you to learn how to cook, and then you can make 10,000 great meals any time you want.

I'm guessing she grew up in a house with a mom who couldn't cook.  It tends to go that way.

I'm lucky have grown up with an Italian mom who is an AMAZING cook and we ate extremely well as a family for years.  I learned how to cook from her and developed a passion for it...

But you aren't going to learn how to do it with a thread at a football forum.

Take some cooking classes; read some books; start watching cooking shows and pay attention.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I believe it actually said Chilean, but I could be wrong there. I’ll pay closer attention net time, but just hearing Patagonian Toothfish is making me hungry!!! 

Chilean seabass is a patagonian toothfish, post rebranding in the 80s.  Apart from that change in labeling, much of the seafood we get is fraudulently mislabeled.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/health/fish-mislabeling-investigation-oceana/index.html

Not as bad as seafood but it happens with steak too.  A flat iron, some meat glue and a bit of extra effort can easily pass for filet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Chilean seabass is a patagonian toothfish, post rebranding in the 80s.  Apart from that change in labeling, much of the seafood we get is fraudulently mislabeled.  

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/07/health/fish-mislabeling-investigation-oceana/index.html

Not as bad as seafood but it happens with steak too.  A flat iron, some meat glue and a bit of extra effort can easily pass for filet.

I wish that surprised me a little more than it did. I would have no idea. Who would know? Trust your vender, hopefully. 

Learn Jambalaya from the master:

It not that hard, definitely full of flavor and great on a cold night, despite being a Louisiana dish. Use your own Franks to adjust the heat to you liking, which any Bills fan should have on hand.

Tip - It calls for Andouille sausage (eh, the ham is optional).  Don't bother with Johnsonville...it has no flavor.  Look around.  You don't need much.  Polish sausage can be substituted, but its not the same.

Rice cries out to be made into Jamablaya as its growing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Learn Jambalaya from the master:

It not that hard, definitely full of flavor and great on a cold night, despite being a Louisiana dish. Use your own Franks to adjust the heat to you liking, which any Bills fan should have on hand.

Tip - It calls for Andouille sausage (eh, the ham is optional).  Don't bother with Johnsonville...it has no flavor.  Look around.  You don't need much.  Polish sausage can be substituted, but its not the same.

Rice cries out to be made into Jamablaya as its growing. 

Good call. I have a signed copy of one of his books and made this years ago. The one ingredient I wasn't familiar with was file' powder but I found it and doubled the recipe... it was seafood based instead of meat based but that's just a variation on a theme. Like mentioned above sometimes just use a recipe as a guide... 

Great thread. Now I am curious as to wether wifey will read through our suggestions and react with some feedback on any she used and liked.

Is only She doing the cooking?  To know what foods she uses and likes would be helpful. 

Tell her muppy said she can do this 🙂

@Einstein

I do cook a LOT and have a TON of Cookbooks. I prefer fast healthy and easy recipes any more. 

as a PS: I didnt specify any salad dressings for salad. But buying a bottle of quality Balsamic with olive oil is a great dressing or dipping sauce for fresh bread.

my Go to's are ranch, blue cheese or a vinaigrette like one of these. YUMMMMMMM

https://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2017/02/06/1-basic-salad-vinaigrette-5-variations/

18 hours ago, Simon said:

Are you too classy for toasted cheese and tomato soup?

I love grilled cheese. It’s actually one thing she makes quite well.

2 hours ago, muppy said:

Great thread. Now I am curious as to wether wifey will read through our suggestions and react with some feedback on any she used and liked.

Is only She doing the cooking?  To know what foods she uses and likes would be helpful. 

Tell her muppy said she can do this 🙂

@Einstein

I cook too, when time permits. But we mostly eat out and that needs to change.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2023 at 3:47 PM, Augie said:

was at the costco yesterday, and they had the Chilean Sea Bass in the refrigerated section near the salmon in vacuum sealed package, think about $20/lb which is still quite good for that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2023 at 5:48 PM, T&C said:

Good call. I have a signed copy of one of his books and made this years ago. The one ingredient I wasn't familiar with was file' powder but I found it and doubled the recipe... it was seafood based instead of meat based but that's just a variation on a theme. Like mentioned above sometimes just use a recipe as a guide... 

you can tell he loved what he did. And he's probably the person most responsible for popularizing cajun cuisine in the 80's. He explains things so simply.

As far as Gumbo file goes, i have it in the house, but I don't make gumbo, because you have to make a roux and I suck at it.  And I suck at it because I end up getting distracted.  And it burns. And you have to throw it out and start again.

The ingredient list is pretty much the same though, gumbo is more of a stew served over rice.  Jambalaya, the rice is cooked in.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2023 at 7:47 AM, muppy said:

I do cook a LOT and have a TON of Cookbooks. I prefer fast healthy and easy recipes any more. 

as a PS: I didnt specify any salad dressings for salad. But buying a bottle of quality Balsamic with olive oil is a great dressing or dipping sauce for fresh bread.

https://wholeandheavenlyoven.com/2017/02/06/1-basic-salad-vinaigrette-5-variations/

Love olive oil and use it in many dishes but all are not equal:  https://foodly.tn/tips/3-2697/.  Many extra virgins are fake - there's a joke there somewhere!  Also, if you fry food with olive oil at high temp, extra virgin often tastes bad.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CookieG said:

you can tell he loved what he did. And he's probably the person most responsible for popularizing cajun cuisine in the 80's. He explains things so simply.

As far as Gumbo file goes, i have it in the house, but I don't make gumbo, because you have to make a roux and I suck at it.  And I suck at it because I end up getting distracted.  And it burns. And you have to throw it out and start again.

The ingredient list is pretty much the same though, gumbo is more of a stew served over rice.  Jambalaya, the rice is cooked in.

Zattarains box mix is pretty good and pretty fast.  Just add whatever protein you have available.  I like it best with Chicken, shrimp and sausage but any single one makes a good meal.  I keep canned mixed okra and tomatoes in for this dish.  Can also add fresh okra.  One more quick delicious meal idea:  fondue.  Aldi sells a good boxed one that I add wine to and sometimes extra raclette cheese.  Fry up some sausage, peppers, mushrooms and add some french bread, dip away and share the rest of the wine.. 

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

Back in my bachelor days, I would make what I called Salmonella Surprise. Pretty basic recipe.  

1lb chicen

1lb pasta (any kind)

1lb jar pasta sauce (any kind)

Grilled up the chicken, cook the pasta, and warm up the sauce.  Cut up the cooked chicken, then toss all three ingredients in a big bowl.  Boom, done.  The surprise part is just that you can use any pasta and sauce.   Easily got about 4-5 meals out of it.  

• Vomit 1

On 2/17/2023 at 4:47 AM, muppy said:

2 parts olive oil, 1 part red wine vinegar. 1 part water.  Add salt to your liking and season from there.  Add mustard?  Seeds work great.  I haven't tried dijon, but I'd bet it'd work.  Thyme- pretty good.  Shallot- basically a requisite- chopped brutally fine with some extended slivers left intact.  Throw oregano, marjoram, basil, whatever you feel like from there.  Home baked croutons (stupid easy), whatever vegetables you'd like to add, and a bit of bleu cheese on top.  Pretty good.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've fallen in love with lobster mac and cheese (good for you too if you want to gain 54 pounds overnight). The recipe is from Capitol Grille... I always get this when I stop to see my oldest at BoCo at Berklee in Boston. 

• 8 ounces of lobster (bake 3-4 lobster tails, cracked open and exposed... easiest thing to cook. 375 in the oven for 8 mins. Take out and put butter on each tail, then bake again for another 8 mins). 
  • 1 lb of cooked Campanelle pasta, or any "tube" pasta that will hold the sauce/cheese
  • 1 cup of Marscapone, 1 cup of Grana Padano (or parm if you can't find it), 1 cup of Havarti 
  • 1/2 cup of white chedder
  • 4 tablespoons of parm, 2-3 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 quart of heavy cream

Cook the lobster, you can let it cool when you make the rest. Dice it into chunks once you can grab it and handle it... Cook the pasta. 

In a deep pan/skillet... pour the cream in and let it simmer under med heat. Once it starts to simmer, add the mascarpone, grana and havarti cheeses. Let that melt and thicken up. Add the pasta, cheddar and 3/4 of the lobster and mix it together. Once the cheddar melts, pour all of that into a baking dish. 

Melt butter then add the parm and panko. Spread that on top of the lobster mac. 

Bake in the over at around 400 degrees until the panko is browned. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

okay one last easy tasty healthy recipe. Taco Chili

Take  a pound of ground turkey or hamburger. Fry it in a large saucepan with a splash of olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped onion (I use about a Cup) and generous garlic powder (1 T powdered or less if you dont like garlic)

after above is cooked  add 1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes with juice...then add drained and rinsed in a colander (all 15 oz 1 can) whole kernel corn, kidney beans, pinto beans,  2 cans of water and 1 T prepared taco chili powder. Stir and cover, put on lid. Let simmer 1/2 hour uncover and taste . add more taco chili powder to taste. You could add fresh jalapeno if you know you prefer your chili extra spicy  

Serve in a bowl over Fritos Corn ships. Garnish with sour cream and fresh cilantro cheddar cheese.

Edited by muppy

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

- mixed greens type lettuce is probably best.  Toss it first before adding the croutons and sunflower seeds. )

and don't forget a couple garbanzo beans.

What’s the difference between a chick pea and a garbanzo bean?

I’ve never paid extra to have a garbanzo bean on me.

Tip your servers, folks.  Like and subscribe.

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, muppy said:

when i lived in WNY we called them ceci beans.

That's what we called them too. I think the can said, "chick peas" on one side and "cici beans" on the other. I've seen it spelled "cici" and "cece" too.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I call them garbanzo beans now.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

That's what we called them too. I think the can said, "chick peas" on one side and "cici beans" on the other. I've seen it spelled "cici" and "cece" too.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I call them garbanzo beans now.

ditto.

chick peas just sound weird What's next dude carrots......

lol 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.