Travis Kelce... is open on every play

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That’s exactly my question, what’s stopping them?

Some of that is Kelce, no argument, but a lot of that is also scheme.

Kelce blocks and then runs delayed routes all the time. He can setup the guy he's blocking, push off and run to voids. 

Hard to do that with wr's. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

The reason Kelce is open is that he starts  a lot of plays as a blocker. He then spins his blockeee/defender out when he releases and creates separation that way. Once he gets the ball he's good for 10.

I agree with this… can the defender do something different to stop him releasing… like get tangled up with him? Easier said then done I’m sure 

17 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I agree with this… can the defender do something different to stop him releasing… like get tangled up with him? Easier said then done I’m sure 

No because then it is defensive holding. He has mastered it but in my opinion its bull crap. 

Today the Jaguars just refused to cover him though as shown in this video. Just ridiculous. Like forget double coverage. At least put ONE person on him.

Only one of them at :21, he literally pushes the defender slightly out of frame then slants left and is magically wide open. 

I think officials need to start recognizing when he is blocking and when he is running a route because he conflates the two consistently allowing him to freely commit OPI.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Kelce is open on every damn play.  Not a step on the defender open, but no one within five yards of him open. 

Kelce is obviously a fantastic football player with an incredible mix of size and athleticism, but what you see on the field with Kelce is the value of Andy Reid off the field.  Reid is able to scheme that guy open a hundred different ways.  He is the focal point of the Chiefs' offense, he is the one guy the defense absolutely has to cover, and he is still running wide open all over the field.   

Dorsey needs to shamelessly steal every one of Andy Reid's designed Kelce plays and put them in his playbook.  Run them with Knox, run them with Diggs.  I don't care who you run them with, if they have five yards of empty turf around them, the play is going to move the sticks.  

If imitation is the highest from of flattery, Dorsey needs to start blowing some sunshine up Andy's prodigious backside ASAP.

And you watch it, and some of them he just runs, finds a spot, hesitates for half a second, and drifts away from

coverage to the open spot.

If he gets a free release, it’s almost impossible to contain him.

If you go one on one and play physical, he at least has to work harder. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Kelce will be wide open until the day he retires. Forget stopping him, I’d be thrilled to contain or slow him. We don’t have a good history of that. Maybe next week will be different if we make it. I won’t hold my breath on containing him next week either. 

It can be done but most DC's are terrified doing it. Put your best man coverage guy ( Elam ) on press coverage all game. Then on top of that bracket him with your strong safety (Edmunds/ Marlowe). Yes it puts everyone in man coverage but we're talking about 17 targets / 14 receptions for nearly 100yds + 2tds. Make someone else beat you. Hill is gone.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Just triple cover him every play. I feel like teams don't do this enough 

It doesn’t require that. Vs Jax the guy that was supposed to double cover Kelce ***** off to cover someone else and the the guy that was supposed to cover Kelce ***** off to cover a patch of mud, if I didn’t know better I’d say someone has to be on the take to actively run AWAY from the opponents biggest threat.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

You're not going to get similar results w Knox no matter how many plays you steal 

Especially when Knox is needed to block and not running routes.  You want to maximize the passing game?  Stop nickel and diming the OL with poor pass blockers who need TE help.  

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Chargers should have won. They are pretty good at locking down Kelce. They put Derwin James on him man to man and hit him at the line so he can't get a clean release. Unlike the Bills who play zone 10 yards off and leave him wide open

James could not keep up with Kelce at the end of the Chargers game in LA Week 11.  Matched up against James 1:1, Kelce ran a short crossing route and scored from 17 yards out...and James was a 2nd Team All Pro this season.  

Look at what Belichick did to him in the championship game a few years ago. Or other times Belichick limited him (And Hill at the time). Study those games.

Put a corner on him. Make those other receivers beat you. 

Teams had the same issue with Brady & Gronk though. The dude always seemed to be open on every play. 

I don't think Kelce being open all the time is because of scheme at all. I think they call a lot of short routes for Kelce and he has the latitude to find the hole in the zone and Mahomes trusts him.

Plus, every time Kelce is thrown the ball he catches it — and often runs, sometimes breaking tackles, for a lot of YAC. 

Kelce is smart; he catches the ball, he runs hard and breaks tackles.

Can Knox do that? Not to the same degree plus it requires Josh's buy in like Mahomes does for Kelce. This is not scheme. It's a smart and strong tight end with great hands and a QB who trusts him implicitly.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah. Kelce is just pretty damn good at finding/creating that open space too.

Still, the Bills have to double team him and stop with that frustrating soft zone. Make someone else beat you.

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It can be done but most DC's are terrified doing it. Put your best man coverage guy ( Elam ) on press coverage all game. Then on top of that bracket him with your strong safety (Edmunds/ Marlowe). Yes it puts everyone in man coverage but we're talking about 17 targets / 14 receptions for nearly 100yds + 2tds. Make someone else beat you. Hill is gone.

Right.  The Bills rush 4 and there are 5 O-linemen and a QB, so that leaves 7 defenders covering 5 possible receivers. You can put 2 on Kelce

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Just triple cover him every play. I feel like teams don't do this enough 

McD and Frazier refuse to do this.

I won’t claim to know more than an NFL coach but it seems to make sense in my mind to chuck Kelce off the line with a LB or DE and then let the coverage defenders handle him afterward. 

Its infuriating to watch him catch pass after pass.

• Agree 1

This looks more Kelce than anything Reid schemes up and Andy is terrific at scheming guys open. 
I saw this for years with Jason Witten in Dallas guy had the 40 yard dash of an olineman but would always get open cause of certain routes and techniques he excelled at. 
Great players make the game look a lot easier than it is and he is just a great player.
Another guy like that is Mark Andrews in Baltimore he’s just in a really really run heavy offense and doesn’t get the chance to show his skills as much. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.