Travis Kelce... is open on every play

Inigo Montoya

Kelce is a top 3 TE in history at his peak. He may very well be the best ever.

The only way to stop elite TEs is with cornerbacks. They are too fast for linebackers and safeties especially if they lie up off the LOS. Kelce and Knox are bigger than every player on the defense. There is no size matchup that you can win and if you try to match size all you do is lose speed. Match him with a corner that can run with him. That's the only way to slow him down. 

I'd play White or Elam  man to man on him the entire game and have safety help over the top. Play zone coverage everywhere else. 

• Agree 4

This is why it's so obnoxious when I see Chiefs fans saying stuff like "Mahomes threw for over 5,000 yards & look at the receivers he has to throw to: 1. JuJu, 2. Valdes-Scantling, 3. Watson, 4. Hardman!"

Uh huh... ok guys. Nobody's buying that since we all know he has the best pass catching TE of all time out there getting 90-100 receptions a season 🙄

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The Bills definitely did NOT seek to absolutely shut down Kelce earlier this season, at least not the overt Belichick way (physical jam at the line, every play, plus double coverage), yet won nonetheless. 

In fact, didn't Kelce have over 100 yards in that game against us?

Think you are thinking about the two playoff losses 

53 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dorsey needs to shamelessly steal every one of Andy Reid's designed Kelce plays and put them in his playbook.

I would steal "plays that work" from other teams all the time. You don't always need to be the smartest guy or reinvent the wheel every game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Watched a few of the <many catches> Kelce had. All were against zone. Kelce is very very good at exploiting zone coverage, and Mahomes trusts Kelce to see the same soft spots in the zone he does.

Not once did anyone try bump and run vs him (jamming within 5 yards) or cover him 1:1 with a large CB/S/fast LB. Teams did that with Gronk to break up the rhythm between Brady and him to mixed success.

Kelce always had a clean release, unless he was blocking and runs to open spots in the zone. Even if he is blocking he knows when to release and where to run.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Agree 1

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Kelce went 8-for-108 in the game THIS season. And yet it didn't swing the result; probably in part because Kelce was kept out of the endzone?

Ok… i checked the numbers myself on the playoff games and he caught like 118 and 96…

He played huge today so he might be in peak form at the moment 

4 minutes ago, jayg said:

I would steal "plays that work" from other teams all the time. You don't always need to be the smartest guy or reinvent the wheel every game.

Over the years, Andy Reid has spent some serious offseason time studying (and stealing from) college offensive coaches he admires; that guy never stops innovating, which, ironically, often involves imitating. A quick google search by someone less lazy than me would provide specifics. But no one can deny that Reid's offenses have been progressive in their adoption of college schemes including spread concepts, RPOs, etc. The perfect coach for Mahomes, to be honest. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

What I don’t get is how open he always is in the red zone. 

Ive always wondered this. Way less room for everyone yet Kelce is open by a few yards and nobody seems to notice.  Hes not invincible but a lot of coaches in the NFL are just too dumb to come up with something innovative to stop him. I suggest full on cheating as much as you can get away with otherwise its business as usual.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.