Thoughts on McDermott’s timeouts?

Einstein

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

I get that, but even if you see their #1 WR totally uncovered, you only run down to call a TO for that, ideally, late in the 4th. Otherwise you'd end up burning your TOs early in every half if you're calling them when you think you have an unfavorable D matchup.

I have to wonder if that was the case. They'd been having problems with flooded zones creating big plays all day and I just wonder how badly they were outnumbered over there.

Due to past "tendencies" I'm not giving McD the benefit of the doubt on that decision, probably until the day they're shoveling dirt on me. It was just a weird enough game that I want to see it for myself.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Overlooked in all of these comments is that McD almost called a timeout to take away the touchdown to Knox. He ran all the way down the sideline and just missed getting it all called to make yet another screw up. He was horrible in-game. 

Forgot about that one.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I hated using both of them. I'm from the school of thought that you don't use defensive timeouts unless something crazy happens like 10 men on the field. The game was close, there was a chance we were gonna need those timeouts for a comeback attempt.

you could easily argue the other way too.  If the Dolphins make a play due to a poor alignment on our defense, then it wouldn't have mattered.  Coach made the right call.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Shortchaz said:

Red zone efficiency just for starters 

Interesting… they’ve been over 60% for 3 seasons. I’m not sure you can argue there’s been any significant regression. 

2020 - 61% (12th) 
2021 - 66% (1st) 

2022 - 60% (9th) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Interesting… they’ve been over 60% for 3 seasons. I’m not sure you can argue there’s been any significant regression. 

2020 - 61% (12th) 
2021 - 66% (1st) 

2022 - 60% (9th) 

How about turnovers in the red zone then?

Edited by Shortchaz

1 minute ago, Shortchaz said:

How about turnovers in the red zone then?

Hold up… let me do your research for you? 

21 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

I personally feel like this team is starting to regress in a few ways and we’ve gone as far as we can with this current coaching staff. 

If you’re going to make a comment like this… at least have some evidence to back it up. Don’t just guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Hold up… let me do your research for you? 

If you’re going to make a comment like this… at least have some evidence to back it up. Don’t just guess. 

I’m sorry I’m not a stat nerd, and I don’t know a good website to dive into this. I’m not doing a paper on the subject, I’m having a casual conversation.

I intentionally used the word FEEL. 

The bills are winning but haven’t taken the next step, I believe they are starting to regress. Perhaps we can revisit this after next weekend. I’d be happy to be wrong 

Edited by Shortchaz
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, Shortchaz said:

I’m sorry I’m not a stat nerd, and I don’t know a good website to dive into this.

I intentionally used the word FEEL. 

The bills are winning but haven’t taken the next step, I believe they are starting to regress. Perhaps we can revisit this after next weekend. I’d be happy to be wrong 

Well you can’t use the word regress and not have data? 

Winning or losing next weekend isn’t really a good barometer to determine regression or not. 

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Thanks!

Words have definitions for a reason. I apologize for properly using them. 

You certainly have high standards for a football fan message board. Some might say too high; I say…high enough?.? 

(that’s not even how you spell pedantic)

Edited by Shortchaz
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Both turned out to be terrible based on result of the play.  Not sure why he called timeout as time was expiring on the 4th and 1

I think he was trying to get Miami to show their hand with what concepts they were thinking. Maybe ice a rookie QB? 

When you go for it on 4th you bring your best play. You have to rethink it or run your second best play the next time. 

I thought it was odd for McD. But that’s all I could come up with. 

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I think an important question here is WHY was the D out of position in two critical spots necessitating McD calling a timeout. And why didn’t a player notice this?  

Remember the Dolphins were slow to getting plays in on the field.  May be the call game in late and the Bills saw that they were not in a position to defend it.

7 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

You certainly have high standards for a football fan message board. Some might say too high; I say…high enough?.? 

(that’s not even how you spell pedantic)

You’re right. 

Expecting you to have points to support your statement was ridiculous of me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

There seems to be no thoughts to McDermott's timeouts. Only coach in the league who calls a timeout to prevent the other team from getting a delay penalty. 

The thought on the 4th down one was the defense was not lined up. If the Dolphins ran that play better it was a touchdown. I'd need to go back and look again at the earlier one (on their one long touchdown drive where Edmunds made a tackle for a gain of 1 only for a TO to have already been taken on defense). 

His worst timeout of the day was the one on offense to try and get them to review the Diggs non-touchdown. That cost them a potential shot to the endzone and forced them to take a FG. That is bad time out usage. The 4th down one he honestly had to call. Okay Skylar made a crap throw but when your defense isn't lined up and there are guys still breaking the huddle on a critical down you don't say "oh well let it play out, maybe their QB will throw a crap pass."

5 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re right. 

Expecting you to have points to support your statement was ridiculous of me. 

Dude…

I made my point in my first post when I said I FEEL. By saying that I’m letting the audience know that the statement is based on emotion rather than empirical evidence.

you asked me to expand so I gave one area (red zone efficiency) where the team has regressed (a word that seems to trigger you). You showed a 9% drop from last year then dismissed it as statistically insignificant. Fine.

I get that you love McDermott and I don’t hate the guy. I just FEEL like the team has gone as far as it can with this staff. I WANT to be wrong. 

A defensive timeout should be egregious, not just some guy lined up in wrong spot.  And against Cinci where you might need those timeouts at end of a half, don't waste them.  I really wish there was a 3 second rule on timeouts, can't wait til the damn ball is being snapped to call a timeout! 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The thought on the 4th down one was the defense was not lined up. If the Dolphins ran that play better it was a touchdown. I'd need to go back and look again at the earlier one (on their one long touchdown drive where Edmunds made a tackle for a gain of 1 only for a TO to have already been taken on defense). 

His worst timeout of the day was the one on offense to try and get them to review the Diggs non-touchdown. That cost them a potential shot to the endzone and forced them to take a FG. That is bad time out usage. The 4th down one he honestly had to call. Okay Skylar made a crap throw but when your defense isn't lined up and there are guys still breaking the huddle on a critical down you don't say "oh well let it play out, maybe their QB will throw a crap pass."

I didn't have a problem with the TO to get them to review Diggs' almost TD catch, if that was the reason he took it.  And they still could have run a play because it's either a shot to the endzone or nothing at all since a run play would eat up too much time and possibly just net you a FG anyway.

Like most of Sean "Glory to God" McDermott's in-game decisions in big spots, he acted like a complete Spaz and screwed his team out of two great plays.  When Cincinnati comes into Buffalo next week and wins (a game the Bills are lucky to have at home as the Monday night game in Cincy was shaping up to be a Bengals rout), I sincerely hope more Bills fans will get on the "fire McDermott" train so that Bills Nation actually has a reasonable chance at cashing in Super Bowls with their generational-talent Quarterback.  McDermott is a coordinator at-best in the NFL, not a head coach, and certainly not the head coach of a team with super Bowl aspirations.

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.