Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

I expect.... No hope... That by Friday evening or Saturday morning the NFL plays out the rules of what they'll do. Or prefer tonight or Saturday night after the chiefs forget or play. I don't want them doing it right before the game because it'll motivate them.

Anyway 

Announce that the terms. If KC loses and Buf wins and Cin ties... Yada yada yada. If KC wins and Buf ties and cin wins... And if KC gets Mahommes to get a haircut they get 1 seed. ***** chia pet head mother *****. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The Bills are the ones who ultimately chose to not finish the Bengals game. This was the right call, but they cannot be rewarded with the #1 seed without finishing that game, which seems to be an unlikely outcome at this juncture. If anyone gets the short end of the stick here, it's unfortunately going to be them. 

This is not true, the Bengals AND the Bills both decided to not finish the game on Monday. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have a strange feeling, highly unlikely but...

If Buffalo, Cincy and KC win, Cincy will forfeit the BUF/CIN game and take the #3 seed.  If KC wins, CIN can't catch them, so it comes down to #2 or #3 seed.  Cincy made it from the #3 seed last season, and while there isn't as much different from #2 to #3, there is a lot riding on top seed.  This would deny KC home-field and assures any Bills/Bengals playoff matchup would not be in the stadium where the trauma went down.

I realize it's highly, highly unlikely.  I don't even know if it would be right for something like that to occur.  It's just an odd hunch.  And if true, they may have already communicated this desire to the NFL, which is why they've been silent about what to do about the suspended game.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Removing games under any circumstances is wildly unfair to other teams and will hopefully never happen.

while I hear what your saying, it also still makes a ton of sense among imperfect solutions and may actually be the most reasonable approach if not for the emotions it evokes and the inability of a guy like Keyshawn Johnson to explain it 

• Agree 1

There is a rumor being floated that the league is recommending playing the NFC playoffs on schedule and playing the Bills/Bengals game only in the AFC if it is meaningful to seeding in the AFC after the outcome of this weeks games. This would be logical although it would give almost all the other AFC teams and the NFC champion a huge advantage in the long run health wise. So this type of dumb approach sound exactly like something the NFL would do anyways because it meets their primary desire of having games and TV revenue every week even though it creates a lot of disadvantage and actually create disadvantages for Bengals and Bills.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The Bills are the ones who ultimately chose to not finish the Bengals game. This was the right call, but they cannot be rewarded with the #1 seed without finishing that game, which seems to be an unlikely outcome at this juncture. If anyone gets the short end of the stick here, it's unfortunately going to be them. 

The Bills did not "choose" to not finish the game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The NFL suspended the game.  

Edited by Kiva
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, The Red King said:

If Buffalo, Cincy and KC win, Cincy will forfeit the BUF/CIN game and take the #3 seed.  If KC wins, CIN can't catch them, so it comes down to #2 or #3 seed.  Cincy made it from the #3 seed last season, and while there isn't as much different from #2 to #3, there is a lot riding on top seed.  This would deny KC home-field and assures any Bills/Bengals playoff matchup would not be in the stadium where the trauma went down.

I realize it's highly, highly unlikely.  I don't even know if it would be right for something like that to occur.  It's just an odd hunch.  And if true, they may have already communicated this desire to the NFL, which is why they've been silent about what to do about the suspended game.

These teams aren’t going to collude and spring arbitrary agreements. The league is communicating with them, but ultimately, the league will make the decision based on what’s best for the league, competitive integrity, and logistics. To think these pros can’t play another football game at Paycor is silly.

If this is true and chiefs win Saturday I am definitely resting starters vs the pats.

The main advantage of the one seed is the bye week. Who cares about 2 vs 3 seed. This team plays fine on the road. 

Plus it sets us up to play the ravens in the wc round which is basically a guaranteed win.

• Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, chongli said:

The Bills did not "choose" to not finish the game.

Who did? Taylor came out today and said that McDermott told him he needed to be at the hospital with Hamlin rather than coach. A courageous and admirable decision, but other teams can't be disadvantaged because of it.

1 minute ago, Process said:

If this is true and chiefs win Saturday I am definitely resting starters vs the pats.

The main advantage of the one seed is the bye week. Who cares about 2 vs 3 seed. This team plays fine on the road. 

Plus it sets us up to play the ravens in the wc round which is basically a guaranteed win.

Which would mean, even if the Ravens beat the Bengals, they wouldn’t get the third seed. And if both the Bills and the Bengals win, the latter won’t get a shot at first. Or if the Chiefs and the Bills win, the latter wouldn’t get a chance to get to one.

35 minutes ago, The Red King said:

If KC wins, they will automatically get the top spot but virtue of having the most wins 

1 minute ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Who did? Taylor came out today and said that McDermott told him he needed to be at the hospital with Hamlin rather than coach. A courageous and admirable decision, but other teams can't be disadvantaged because of it.

Bengals players reportedly did not want to continue playing game either. The league CAN do whatever they decide in this scenario and Troy Vincent already stated that the solution won’t be perfect and there might not be equity. 

2 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

If NFL comes out and says before the weekend that bills and bengals do not play and somehow awards KC #1 if they win on saturday,  does Buffalo forfeit the game against Pats thereby getting  a rest week and not caring about #2 seed?

No. The 2 seed is relevant as the Bills would be guaranteed 2 home playoff games and the potential of hosting AFCC remains a realistic possibility. 

1 minute ago, die hard bills fan said:

If NFL comes out and says before the weekend that bills and bengals do not play and somehow awards KC #1 if they win on saturday,  does Buffalo forfeit the game against Pats thereby getting  a rest week and not caring about #2 seed?

Forfeit?  I doubt it.  Rest starters?  Quite possible.

Even though the #2 seed doesn't get a bye, they would still get HFA in the divisional round, so it's not exactly a "nothing to play for" situation.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I think that is a fair and respectful outcome. I'd like it. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

conversationally saying that is different than literally quitting 

the nfl has also come out several times saying they did not intend to restart the game, contrary to the ESPN comment 

but you know these things 

7 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

no, they’d much rather host in a 2 v 3 showdown to go to the Super Bowl 

7 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Forfeit?  I doubt it.  Rest starters?  Quite possible.

Even though the #2 seed doesn't get a bye, they would still get HFA in the divisional round, so it's not exactly a "nothing to play for" situation.

Resting starters and avoiding additional injuries is infinitely more important than HFA in the divisional round. Who cares about playing in Cincinnati vs Buffalo. 

Plus, the Patriots suck. Our backups are capable of beating them. Like they beat Miami by 50 in the exact same situation a couple years ago.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

conversationally saying that is different than literally quitting 

the nfl has also come out several times saying they did not intend to restart the game, contrary to the ESPN comment 

but you know these things 

ESPN has also said multiple times and said that they were directly given that information from the NFL. Which is more likely -- Joe Buck making up the five-minute rule for no reason whatsoever, or Troy Vincent lying about it to avoid a PR nightmare? Use simple logic here.

Resting starters and avoiding additional injuries is infinitely more important than HFA in the divisional round. Who cares about playing in Cincinnati vs Buffalo. 

HFA in the playoffs os HUGE, particularly for this team, which is undefeated at home and winless on the road in January.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No. The 2 seed is relevant as the Bills would be guaranteed 2 home playoff games and the potential of hosting AFCC remains a realistic possibility.

What's more important a week of no football or potential #2 home game- if you forfeit you get a week off to rest body and soul when both are probably not ready to play this sunday.  Even if you play and rest "starters" you can't rest everyone.  Also there is no gurantee they win... if they lose they are not any better off in getting #2.

They also still have to go to KC regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

ESPN has also said multiple times and said that they were directly given that information from the NFL. Which is more likely -- Joe Buck making up the five-minute rule for no reason whatsoever, or Troy Vincent lying about it to avoid a PR nightmare? Use simple logic here.

HFA in the playoffs os HUGE, particularly for this team, which is undefeated at home and winless on the road in January.

That is absolutely meaningless. We are undefeated at home and winless on the road because are home games have been early in the playoffs vs bad teams and are road games have been vs the chiefs. 

We didn't lose to Jacksonville or Houston because we were on the road. We lost because those bills teams were not that good and we're fringe playoff teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

What's more important a week of no football or potential #2 home game- if you forfeit you get a week off to rest body and soul when both are probably not ready to play this sunday.  Even if you play and rest "starters" you can't rest everyone.  Also there is no gurantee they win... if they lose they are not any better off in getting #2.

They also still have to go to KC regardless. 

Disagree, KC could get knocked out by another team. Could still host AFC title game. 2 definitely better than 3. Bills can defeat Pats even if they’re not on their A game - no guarantee you can win any single game but home better than road. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Disagree, KC could get knocked out by another team. Could still host AFC title game. 2 definitely better than 3. Bills can defeat Pats even if they’re not on their A game - no guarantee you can win any single game but home better than road. 

There is zero difference between the two seed and three seed when it comes to potentially hosting the AFCCG.....

Edited by Process
  • Eyeroll 1

There is zero difference between the two seed and three seed when it comes to potentially hosting the AFCCG.....

Home field is huge in the playoffs- yes a home 2nd round game is worth playing for. I was merely pointing out that the statement about the Bills having to go to KC was incorrect- they could be knocked out of it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I also think if we win versus Pats to get the two seed - we are likely to get the Steelers in the WC round.  I don’t see Miami beating NYJ with a third string QB.  Pitt and Cincy at home is a much easier path to the AFCCG than Balt at

home and at Cincy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This should just be a coin flip to determine the bills bengals W L just for seeding purposes. Giving a no contest is essentially the same as giving both team Ls, and only benefits the chiefs. It doesn’t make sense. No need to overcomplicate things. Bills win, and it sucks for chiefs but they can’t complain because they very well may have won the game anyway. And vice versa.

Someone was winning the game and someone was losing, and by all measures it was essentially a tossup who would win anyway, so flip a coin before this weekends games and move on. 

ive yet to really hear a valid reason why this would be considered unfair to anyone prior to the coinflip

Edited by jrb2590
  • Like (+1) 1

Now this is outside the box but here me out. The NFL absolutely should not even consider forcing the Bills and Bengals to squeeze in two games before the playoffs start.

That said, they should consider:

Week 18:

Bills @ Bengals

Patriots vs. Dolphins (Neutral field)

Ravens vs. Jets (Neutral field)

All other games are originally scheduled opponent and place 

How this works. 

Bills beat the Bengals they get the 1 seed.

Bills lose to Bengals they get the 3 seed, assuming Chiefs beat Raiders, if not then Bills get 2 seed. 

Bengals win of any type guarantees them the Division.

Bengals lose to Bills by more than 4 AND Ravens beat Jets by more than 8 then Ravens win the Division. But both have to hit like a parlay for the Ravens to win the Division.

Patriots vs. Dolphins on neutral field. If either team beats the other by a TD or more they automatically advance to the playoffs as the 7 seed. If the winner fails to cover the 6.5 point spread then the following is in play:

Steelers beat the Browns by 8 or more they win the 7 seed. 

Steelers fail to cover the 7.5 point spread against the Browns then the winning of the Patriots vs. Dolphins game advances as the 7 seed.

Jags/Titans no wild card option. Winner take all for the Division only.

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

I think I agree. And I do think the most likely scenario the NFL goes with is this one in which the Bills and Bengals each finish the season with 16 games and their own game is declared a "no contest". At that point, allow the Patriots into the playoffs meaning they likely get a rematch with the Bengals in a 2 vs. 7 match up. Bills avoid a 2 vs. 7 match up with the Dolphins who have the WR's that can give the Bills problems. 3 vs. 6 match up with the Ravens is the Bills most favorable WC match up besides possibly drawing the Patriots. But it seems unlikely the Bills can draw the Patriots in most scenarios. 

Other than actually playing out the Bill/Bengals game AND allowing for all teams to play on equal rest etc....no solution is going to be fair.

Some thoughts:

Alot of this fixes itself if the Raiders upset KC.  Could happen.  But if not then......

My first idea (and sorry if it was mentioned earlier, I haven't read the entire thread)  just move ALL the week 18 games back to week 19 and let only the Bengals and Bills play this sunday.  Then you just move the playoffs back one week and lose the super bowl bye week.  Too late for this.  They've announced week 18 is going ahead on schedule.

Second idea.  Considering it's looking like Bill/Bengals is on the way to being declare a no contest....which is going to benefit Kc the most, and keep Cincy from any shot at the 2 seed....maybe you could allow an 8th AFC playoff team, give no first round bye's so that AT LEAST KC has to play in round 1 with Cincy an Buffalo.  KC still has the 1 seed, but loses the benefit of the bye.  KC would draw Miami/pitt/ or NE or NYJ.  depending on how the other games all go.

Third idea.  It's a no contest.  Life isn't fair.  KC catches a huge break, gets the 1.  Cincy is bitter because they can't get 1 or 2.  Bills bitter becasue they can't get the 1.  Baltimore bitter because they can't win division and get home playoff game.  I know this isn't exactly an idea....but it's the defacto option at present.  I want KC to have the 1 seed.  I don't want a big fat asterisk next to it indicating KC would benefit by a man nearly dying on a football field.  

The only thing that I can think of in the "life isn't fair" case....  Back in the post merger NFL, Home playoff games were not determined by record.  They had a rotation of which division winner would host from year to year.  Specifically, I can remember the old St. Louis Cardinals, having won the NFC east in 1974...had to go on teh road in the divisional round and lost to the Vikings.  The next year, they won the NFC east again, 11-3 record.  Had to go on teh road and lost to the Rams.  As it would turn out, the City of St Louis NEVER hosted an NFL playoff game the entire time the Cardinals were in St Louis from 1960 to 1988.  I don't bring it up to compare any of that to a player dying and being revived on the field...only that there are many instances when things just are not fair for one reason or another.   Unfortunately, as things are headed, it would appear that we are headed to a conclusion that isn't gonig to be fair.

I think they play starters for the #2 seed. I can’t imagine them sending in the backups at home in the first game back with all this emotion. You get the #2 seed and play either the Dolphins w/teddy, Steelers, or pats in WC. Then the #2 seed gives the bills the bengals at home in the divisional. Then the Chargers beat the chiefs and the Bills host the AFCGC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure that is the fairest option either considering the Bills and Bengals would have played one less game.  The game itself does have an affect on the division winner between Bengals and Ravens too no?

Regardless there is no completely fair option, as I mentioned earlier.  

There is no good option. I think that is the least bad. Moving everything else around to fit this game into a stand alone week 19 is worse IMO.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Process said:

Having the 2 seed last year instead of the 3 seed would have been a huge deal.  KC at OP in January.   It matters.

I hate this scenario but likely.   If it benefitted the Bengals I would feel better about it.  But the Chiefs….who were both beaten by the Bills and Bengals, doesn’t feel right. 

If having a better record in conference is such a big deal with tie breakers,  why couldn’t that be the correct winning percentage formula?

Should the large not replay the Bills/Bengals game and they award KC seed # based on winning %, should the Bills and Chiefs get to AFC championship the league should have it at a neutral site. The Chiefs are all ready getting the extra bye week for free, let them give up the home crowd advantage. 

6 hours ago, jrb2590 said:

This should just be a coin flip to determine the bills bengals W L just for seeding purposes. Giving a no contest is essentially the same as giving both team Ls, and only benefits the chiefs. It doesn’t make sense. No need to overcomplicate things. Bills win, and it sucks for chiefs but they can’t complain because they very well may have won the game anyway. And vice versa.

Someone was winning the game and someone was losing, and by all measures it was essentially a tossup who would win anyway, so flip a coin before this weekends games and move on. 

ive yet to really hear a valid reason why this would be considered unfair to anyone prior to the coinflip

We already brought up the coin flip deep in this thread.

One poster said that this is a multi billion dollar sport so a coin flip isn't suitable to determine this. (My thought: The money is irrelevant since this about using time wisely because we don't have a lot of time).

Another poster didn't want us doing the coin flip because we have bad luck there.

We can use ping pong balls, like the NBA Draft, in some way.

I'm all for the coin flip. Best out of 3. It's fair and neutral. It really doesn't upset anything.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.