Christmas storm could be “Paralyzing” for Buffalo

CountDorkula

32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Cheektowaga. We got slammed here. Yeah, snow blowing is rough. I can only do a few feet at a time and have to do it in layers. I have a metal rake/hoe and I’m using that to break up the snow before blowing it. So I break up what I can reach with the rake then blow it, rinse repeat.

Good luck! I’ll probably go out for another round later too. Like I said I’m not in a rush. It would be different if the streets were clear but I haven’t seen a hint of snow removal started yet. I think our neighborhood is lower down their priority list… lol

Good idea on the metal rake. The snow is clumped in ice blocks…wild. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Cheektowaga. We got slammed here. Yeah, snow blowing is rough. I can only do a few feet at a time and have to do it in layers. I have a metal rake/hoe and I’m using that to break up the snow before blowing it. So I break up what I can reach with the rake then blow it, rinse repeat.

Good luck! I’ll probably go out for another round later too. Like I said I’m not in a rush. It would be different if the streets were clear but I haven’t seen a hint of snow removal started yet. I think our neighborhood is lower down their priority list… lol

I’m right at the airport basically and my street has been plowed

But like 1 little lane

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Not sure where you are. In Clarence, the drifts are making snow blowing impossible… as someone mentioned, we had high lifts down our streets yesterday but nothing since. I’m about 1/3 out of our driveway, and likely through the heaviest and biggest piles. Going back out for another round now.

I concur.

Last night seemed snowfall was not too bad.  This morning?  Holy schmoley! Drifts well over 3’ in the driveway. 3 foot at the apron from the street plowed overnight. I think it snowed over a foot last night.

Snowblowed about 2/3 of the driveway.  Enough for us to back out and get to the street and pull back in.

Edited by davefan66

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

8EAC4672-20BC-448E-BF5E-9F96FBDFFEBF.jpeg

I’ve seen this circulating. Has anyone confirmed this a legit photo? It looks older, there’s a lot of trees for that part of Transit. The vehicles and signs look older as well. I’m thinking it was a holdover from the Blizzard of 77. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

My parents (Niagara County, near Lake Ontario) got lucky.  I *almost* trekked down from Maine on Thursday to ensure that two people in their 80s had enough food, and someone to clear the driveway.  They, being old school parents (I'm in my 50s now), were like, "***** that, stay home, enjoy Christmas with your wife, you both work too hard as it is."  Glad that they're okay, but my family in Buffalo and the surrounding areas?  Mixed bag, to put it mildly.

Hope that you all are well.

44 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’ve seen this circulating. Has anyone confirmed this a legit photo? It looks older, there’s a lot of trees for that part of Transit. The vehicles and signs look older as well. I’m thinking it was a holdover from the Blizzard of 77. 

No idea 🤷‍♂️ 

57 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Absolutely crazy if it’s a legit photo! 

I think is from this morning.  We had some sun in the morning. It is a color photo. Alost all I have seen from '77 are black and white. Plus this is from a drone and they weren't around  then.  I think thesis from above the light at the McD's and Wegman's just north of Transit and Losson Rd /William. I see the Wendy's sign on the left which would be Lancaster. That is how it looks here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wacka said:

I think is from this morning.  We had some sun in the morning. It is a color photo. Alost all I have seen from '77 are black and white. Plus this is from a drone and they weren't around  then.  I think thesis from above the light at the McD's and Wegman's just north of Transit and Losson Rd /William. I see the Wendy's sign on the left which would be Lancaster. That is how it looks here.

I also noticed a Tim Hortons sign, and they didn’t enter Buffalo until 1984. So I think it must be legit! 

11 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Those vehicles are a lot newer than 1977.  The cars would be huge boxy boats if they were made before the late 80s. And the semis didn't look like that back then. 

This looks exactly like my street right now. Bunch of cars stuck and a path through the middle of them. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

10 hours ago, Wacka said:

It was confirmed by NYSDOT on Facebook that this pic was taken on Sheridan Dr looking at Transit Rd Northbound. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2022 at 8:34 AM, PetermansRedemption said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Didn’t plan to go anywhere this weekend anyways. The weather forecasters frequently over-promise and under-deliver. 

I’m just going to go ahead and eat a multitude of crow for this one. It certainly delivered everything they were projecting it to. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-snow-store-buffalo-blizzard-131242157.html

Military Police called in to enforce driving ban in Buffalo.

I have a friend in Buffalo who wrote this yesterday 

People are saying there's dead bodies on Hertel they haven't been able to recover yet, City/County are saying there's dead people in cars and on the street they haven't been able to get yet.

There is looting on Grant/Ferry, Tonawanda St., Amherst St.....Aaron's rental furniture, they're hitting the dollar stores, Dollar Generals and Family Dollars, trying the drug stores, most everything still shut down.

and this today 

It's settling down to some extent now. Main roads are getting cleared and the police are getting around better. Supermarkets opened. From what I understand, still a lot of stuck cars they're checking. Still waiting to hear if I work tomorrow, At a point now where I need to. I'll be able to get there.

Still have a driving ban in the city. Will be in the 40's by Thursday. Death toll passed the Blizzard of '77.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/buffalo-s-no-stranger-to-snow-why-was-the-storm-so-deadly/ar-AA15IItM?cvid=93258f8bf6cb4a458dcb605da5394176

Edited by muppy
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wow. 

While some of you are living this blizzard experience in person , we out of staters just look at these photos and TRY to put ourselves in your circumstances,

All I could think was folks like Squirrel Winter and any snow removal equipment will be making a Mint in OT taking care of this mess.  And well deserved money every penny.  There is  no way the infirm or elderly are goin to be able to remove all that snow themselves. 

How fast it will be all melting off......

Edited by muppy

16 hours ago, muppy said:

There's been a lot of stories about hertel. Most haven't been true. Not 100% sure about the bodies but I've been walking up and down a lot of hertel(I live on the street) since the start of the storm and didn't see anything like that. 

There were a lot of claims and posts that the Sunoco gas station and the dollar general across the street on hertel were looted. People we're saying they both were boarded up and they saw people running out with stuff. Well both stores were intact and employees confirmed nothing even close happened. 

The front loaders and plows have been cleaning up hertel since 5 am. They're doing a great job making sure not to block driveways. There was a 20' pile on both sides of driveway last night now they're gone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

There's been a lot of stories about hertel. Most haven't been true. Not 100% sure about the bodies but I've been walking up and down a lot of hertel(I live on the street) since the start of the storm and didn't see anything like that. 

There were a lot of claims and posts that the Sunoco gas station and the dollar general across the street on hertel were looted. People we're saying they both were boarded up and they saw people running out with stuff. Well both stores were intact and employees confirmed nothing even close happened 

I'm not really that surprised that there would be a lot of stories and situations that weren't all based in reality.  My friend likely got his info talking to people at 7-11 which is walking distance for beer and cigs. I just will keep praying for the entire situation to be better ASAP 

6 minutes ago, muppy said:

I'm not really that surprised that there would be a lot of stories and situations that weren't all based in reality.  My friend likely got his info talking to people at 7-11 which is walking distance for beer and cigs. I just will keep praying for the entire situation to be better ASAP 

We got dug out by a front loader and a bobcat yesterday. Most of my block is dug out. They're cleaning up the street right now. I think we should be in a pretty good spot by the end of the day in regards to the roads. 

Edit: tried posting pics of the massive pile of snow that was in peoples driveways but too big of a file and not the brightest with electronics

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My brother plows for Erie County. He spent from noon on Christmas Eve to  Monday evening at 

Midnight at work, just getting cat naps when he could. Finally was off yesterday and slept 12 straight hours.

He said the first streets they plowed were the mains and then the streets with nursing homes. The plow operators are working the hardest they can. He had to go through the same situation in 2014. Hopefully the next time it happens., he'll be retired. 

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

My brother plows for Erie County. He spent from noon on Christmas Eve to  Monday evening at 

Midnight at work, just getting cat naps when he could. Finally was off yesterday and slept 12 straight hours.

He said the first streets they plowed were the mains and then the streets with nursing homes. The plow operators are working the hardest they can. He had to go through the same situation in 2014. Hopefully the next time it happens., he'll be retired. 

My son-in-law plows for the State. Due to staff shortages, the state only had 5 guys working to plow the Thruway from Christmas Eve to the 26th from Clarence to just past Angola.. 4 out of the 5 plows got stuck in the snow. My son-in-law was the only one who didn't get stuck. Instead of clearing the snow, it was he and his supervisor in the plow truck, with a 4x4 F250 right behind them following the plow's path. Their only mission during the height of the blizzard was to get to as many stranded motorists as possible. Many times they were plowing on the wrong way just to get to people stranded. They rescued just over 50 people. Then once more people were able to come in, they focused on clearing the snow to make the Thruway drivable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.