Brandon on Mcfee talking about trade deadline.

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Brandon has rightly got a lot of credit for his presser the other day. Take notes Rex. The way you win a press conference is not bluster and ego it is honesty and information. 

All I can say positive about Rex Ryan pressers were they were better than the walking dead from Dick Jauron.

I wonder how much time Rex used to prepare for his periodic little skits.  

• Like (+1) 1

Beane just seems like the perfect guy to chat football with. I don’t think there’s another gm in the league who interviews like him. 
I mentioned the other day how cool it is that he “pulls the curtain back” and gives info in areas no front offices discuss. Going in depth on the trade process and some of the rumors is not something he needs to do, but I sure do appreciate the explanation of the process behind it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Such a stud.

I love that he goes out and makes the no-brainer moves that we were sorely lacking in the drought years. It was obvious in 2019 that we needed a #1 WR so he gets Stefon Diggs. It was obvious in 2021 that we needed a top tier edge rusher so he gets Von Miller. It was obvious this year that we needed more explosiveness from our backfield so he gets Nyheim Hines. So many teams fail at the obvious things. And he's made all of these moves without shortening our Super Bowl window even a tiny bit. Like you said - stud.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Cap isn't real....... "Escrow"  "Cash over Cap"  "Divy up over number of years"   "We need extra funds"

The finances and how well they are managed is huge.  A lot of fans don't appreciate what Brandon Beane does.

Also not appreciated is the Pegula's role in that.  The Bills are $62M over the cap with cash this year.

There is a large amount of NFL owners who wouldn't allow that to happen.

Brandon pushes the financials without letting it turn into a negative.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The finances and how well they are managed is huge.  A lot of fans don't appreciate what Brandon Beane does.

Also not appreciated is the Pegula's role in that.  The Bills are $62M over the cap with cash this year.

Do you have this info for all teams?  Would like to see how the teams line up. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Poor Ralph Wilson, the old master of "cash to the cap", is probably rolling over in his grave with this $$ figure.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Do you have this info for all teams?  Would like to see how the teams line up. 

Spotrac has it for all teams.  To do a huge comparison you have to sign up for their premium package.

But if you want to see the Bills I will post below.  Most fans only look at "cap space".  In Spotrac you can toggle the drop down

to show $ spent.  I will post that.  Cap is $208M and you can see the Bills spent $270M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cash/

Here is the Spotrac Cap Tracker with all the teams listed.  You will notice that when you click on the Cash Tracker Tab it

asks for your login for Premium like I said above.  I think next spring I'm signing up for the Premium package.  I'm probably

too much into this stuff, but I find it fascinating and want to see how Brandon handles next seasons signings.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

3 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

Poor Ralph Wilson, the old master of "cash to the cap", is probably rolling over in his grave with this $$ figure.

He didn't have near the liquidity that the Pegula's offer the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has it for all teams.  To do a huge comparison you have to sign up for their premium package.

But if you want to see the Bills I will post below.  Most fans only look at "cap space".  In Spotrac you can toggle the drop down

to show $ spent.  I will post that.  Cap is $208M and you can see the Bills spent $270M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cash/

I appreciate all the time you took to do this. Thank you!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What I appreciate about Beane is that he isn't just a good talent and salary cap GM, he's also a great representative of the team and city. After 20 years of clueless executives he is a breath of fresh air.

And I imagine he'd be a good guy to sit abd have a beer or two with. You'd have a good couple of hours, a few drinks but then he'd call it quits at the right time and not be throwing up in the cab at 2am.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This is a great point. So long as you have an owner willing to spend the cap is an accounting cap not a salary cap. Because every time you push money into later years two things happen:

1. That money in real terms becomes due now (changing future salary into amortised bonus) so your owner has to write that check;

2. The money you are pushing devalues from a cap perspective because the cap continues to inflate.

So it makes cap sense to do it, but you need an owner willing to pony up the dollars. It is something that Green Bay for example rarely does because they don't have a rich owner to cut the cheque.

Edited by GunnerBill

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is a great point. So long as you have an owner willing to spend the cap is an accounting cap not a salary cap. Because every time you push money into later years two things happen:

1. That money in real terms becomes due now (changing future salary into amortised bonus) so your owner has to write that check;

2. The money you are pushing devalues from a cap perspective because the cap continues to inflate.

So it makes cap sense to do it, but you need an owner willing to pony up the dollars. It is something that Green Bay for example rarely does because they don't have a rich owner to cut the cheque.

Totally true.  But like everything in life, these moves come with a risk.  Pushing that guaranteed money out only works if the player

continues to perform or doesn't get injured.

A very small example is what happened to Hyde this year.  Micah converted over $5M this spring to free up money but he got injured.

The team lost his services, so eventually a player like Marlowe had to be added.  IF for some reason when Hyde starts next year

on PUP and ends up not being able to play, the Bills would lose $7M instead of $2M in dead money, and the team loses his services, and

has to add another player.  This of course is magnified when you add a 1 or 2 in front of those numbers.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just a quick check, but the Bills are way above the cash spent by KC, Miami, Dallas and the few other contenders I looked at. Several teams are actually below the cap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I love that he goes out and makes the no-brainer moves that we were sorely lacking in the drought years. It was obvious in 2019 that we needed a #1 WR so he gets Stefon Diggs. It was obvious in 2021 that we needed a top tier edge rusher so he gets Von Miller. It was obvious this year that we needed more explosiveness from our backfield so he gets Nyheim Hines. So many teams fail at the obvious things. And he's made all of these moves without shortening our Super Bowl window even a tiny bit. Like you said - stud.

Not every move works out, but the relevant point is, that pretty much all of the stuff people around here think needs addressing, he actually tries to go and sort out.

Not just the specific ones you mention above, in Diggs and Von Miller, but areas of perceived weakness, like the O-Line (at different times) etc.

Now, we may have different perspectives on the actual players he goes and gets, but the point is, he goes and gets, for example, a Guard, or a WR, or (another) DB.

Since 'cleaning house', rarely has a move he's made, not made sense, even if it hasn't always worked out.

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Just a quick check, but the Bills are way above the cash spent by KC, Miami, Dallas and the few other contenders I looked at. Several teams are actually below the cap. 

It's a constant ebb and flow that each owner and GM work through.  Some owners want the cash and cap to be as close as possible.

Some (like the Pegula's) are more flexible.  Also, this is only reflecting the cap versus how much cash was actually paid out but there

is also escrow accounts that sometimes need to be managed.  I admit I'm not up on those working as much, but an example is Watson's

contract.  It's fully guaranteed but the Browns owner had to add money to an escrow account to prove he could pay.

Beane spent a lot of cash this year and the Pegula's were OK with it.  It also shows the team is "all in" to the future years too.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane has been truthful and as transparent as he can be (without giving away strategy, as he said) since DAY ONE. I have always appreciated that. What a breath of fresh air that has been from the Whaley, Brandon, Donahoe days. And not only is he one of the best in the league at his job (Big Baller), but he does sh$t like this:

Eq_SMkFWMAAmCJW.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.d19fe6d497898d89c5aeb68641fda954.jpeg

We are very lucky! It is not often that a team has a super-star GM, Coach, and QB, who are also great people that you want to root for.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, folz said:

Beane has been truthful and as transparent as he can be (without giving away strategy, as he said) since DAY ONE. I have always appreciated that. What a breath of fresh air that has been from the Whaley, Brandon, Donahoe days. And not only is he one of the best in the league at his job (Big Baller), but he does sh$t like this:

Eq_SMkFWMAAmCJW.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.d19fe6d497898d89c5aeb68641fda954.jpeg

We are very lucky! It is not often that a team has a super-star GM, Coach, and QB, who are also great people that you want to root for.

Go Bills!

With the Pegula's, Beane and McDermott I do not take any of these day for granted.  These are "the good ole days"!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

What I appreciate about Beane is that he isn't just a good talent and salary cap GM, he's also a great representative of the team and city. After 20 years of clueless executives he is a breath of fresh air.

It's been longer than 20 years.    John Butler was an excellent scout but that dude was terrible at caponomics and even worse at selling the team to the fans.   He'd get on his TV show with that white snot in the corners of his mouth and talk about how he didn't care if fans showed up or not.    The Bills have always needed an executive style GM first and foremost because their owners have always been bad or green at running a football team itself,  let alone football operations.   He fit that bill right off the bat and has gradually grown into the scouting/personnel aspect.

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Where do you find that? Would love to see that list?

My understanding is you want an owner willing to do this, but probably don't want to be at the very top of the list, as that likely signals REAL cap problems down the road? 

Something you'd ideally want to be between #5 - #10ish?

36 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Where do you find that? Would love to see that list?

My understanding is you want an owner willing to do this, but probably don't want to be at the very top of the list, as that likely signals REAL cap problems down the road? 

Something you'd ideally want to be between #5 - #10ish?

See post above by @ColoradoBills where he posted links to the Bills cash total.  You can select other individual teams and see their individual numbers.  You can’t pull up a combined list however. 

3 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Is there another GM that does this much press? He knows how to do his job and gives very intelligent answers. 

He actually doesn’t/hasn’t done a lot of press conferences to date. I recall often wishing we heard more from him while admiring his efforts from afar. He’s been significantly more public this year and we’re all grateful. It’s a delicate balance though between GM & HC as to whom is the voice piece. There’ve been many ‘bad marriages’ throughout the years, across the League. 

Kim & Terry Pegula’s Buffalo Bills have been exactly what this die-hard fan has dreamed of for 6+ decades. I’m finally even enjoying the once proud Sabres!

But,

I’m getting more concerned about Kim’s well being with each passing week. Not so much that information isn’t being made available, just that she’s been such a public figure and icon of the team and city. 

I miss her greatly. 😞 Get Well SOON, Kim!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.