Hot take: Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward

Logic

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's likely to be both, splitting snaps, the way Crowder and McKenzie did.  The exact split will shift from game to game and depend upon the savvy Shakir demonstrates at filling Crowder's "find the gaps in the zone" role.

Agree. I see Shakir more as a replacement for Crowder. Seems like he can play outside pretty well too. We are going to need him and Lil D both. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think this is a hot take in the least.  McKenzie weighs 18 lbs.  He’s not build to be a full time starter in the NFL.  He’s a good player and can help our team when’s he’s healthy.  Less snaps is key to keeping dirty in the lineup. 

that said- shakir can do it all.  He sometimes suffers from lack of concentration, like we saw yesterday, but he’s a RAC beast and a contested catch machine.  Great work ethic and is a culture fit.  

I’d like to see Shakir and Dirty man the slot for the next 2-3 years 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I know, I know -- it's early, and you'll say I'm jumping the gun.

I don't care. I've seen enough: Khalil Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward, even when McKenzie and Crowder return to full health.

At the very least, he should be splitting reps with McKenzie and seeing more playing time than Jamison Crowder.

He runs great routes. He constantly seems to get open. He has relatively sure hands (one bad concentration drop yesterday not withstanding). He offers run-after-catch ability that this offense often lacks. He has the frame and build to withstand the tough over-the-middle work. 

Aside from all of that, he just passes the eyeball test in a way that the Bills' other two slot options do not. Frankly, he looks like a star in the making.

I love McKenzie as a player and am glad he's on the roster, but has he looked like a dynamic full time slot option to anyone over the first four games? He hasn't looked that way to me. I like Crowder, too. He's a solid, dependable veteran depth option. Again, though: he doesn't seem to pop off the screen the way Shakir was.

I have figured all along that Shakir would be brought along slowly, that he'd be more of a contender for starting duties in 2023 or 2024. Given McDermott's M.O., that still may happen. I don't think it should, though. I've seen enough. He's the best option to start in the slot. The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

We will be the ultimate judges of this as a hot take or not 😊

I agree and see one thing that makes him stand out - 50 of his 98 yds gained have been after the catch.  

Two things he needs to work on - his hands and his run blocking

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

Starting over a vet like McK after one game?  Can't see it yet, but it's definitely coming down the pike.  It's a good problem to have.

Especially with a coach like McDermott. He’s a loyalist to say the least. Lil Dirty has EARNED his position though. Lots of growth from McKenzie 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I know, I know -- it's early, and you'll say I'm jumping the gun.

I don't care. I've seen enough: Khalil Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward, even when McKenzie and Crowder return to full health.

At the very least, he should be splitting reps with McKenzie and seeing more playing time than Jamison Crowder.

He runs great routes. He constantly seems to get open. He has relatively sure hands (one bad concentration drop yesterday not withstanding). He offers run-after-catch ability that this offense often lacks. He has the frame and build to withstand the tough over-the-middle work. 

Aside from all of that, he just passes the eyeball test in a way that the Bills' other two slot options do not. Frankly, he looks like a star in the making.

I love McKenzie as a player and am glad he's on the roster, but has he looked like a dynamic full time slot option to anyone over the first four games? He hasn't looked that way to me. I like Crowder, too. He's a solid, dependable veteran depth option. Again, though: he doesn't seem to pop off the screen the way Shakir was.

I have figured all along that Shakir would be brought along slowly, that he'd be more of a contender for starting duties in 2023 or 2024. Given McDermott's M.O., that still may happen. I don't think it should, though. I've seen enough. He's the best option to start in the slot. The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

Last year, yes. That was a major issue with Daboll. That issue is non-existent this year.

What I loved most about his game yesterday was the different ways in which he made plays.

1. Josh throw it into triple coverage and Shakir mosses a LB (ball skills)

2. Catches a short underneath pass and gets 16 yards after the catch (YAC)

3. Just straight up toasts the DB and gets wide open for an easy TD (route running)

Such an extremely well rounded player already after only 1 start.

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm going to join in the "this isn't a hot take" crowd.

At this point, I've seen all I need to out of Crowder. In four games he was a cap and roster spot drain. 

While I like Mckenzie, I think we have seen his peak as a receiver. I don't want to diminish what he brings, because using him in motion does a whole lot of things to held diagnose coverage but I don't think he's ever going to be a third down machine like Beasley was.

Shakir, while making some early rookie mistakes, has thrived in the last two weeks and has made the most of his time. At this point I think he has more than earned a spot as the starting slot receiver, and McKenzie can be used where we know he is solid.

• Like (+1) 1

The kind of hot take I’ve come to expect on this board would be someone arguing that we should just cut Hyde and keep Hamlin in there next season.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Was Shakir back for the opening kickoff, or was that someone else who fumbled it?

Taiwan.

100%. McK can be the gadget guy and rotational player.  

Shakir showed surprising speed and strength.   He’s going to have down moments, but he’ll learn.  His upside is incomparable to anyone not named Diggs or Davis.  

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think this is a hot take in the least.  McKenzie weighs 18 lbs.  He’s not build to be a full time starter in the NFL.  He’s a good player and can help our team when’s he’s healthy.  Less snaps is key to keeping dirty in the lineup. 

that said- shakir can do it all.  He sometimes suffers from lack of concentration, like we saw yesterday, but he’s a RAC beast and a contested catch machine.  Great work ethic and is a culture fit.  

I’d like to see Shakir and Dirty man the slot for the next 2-3 years 

18 pounds soaking wet 

• Like (+1) 1

The man has the juice.  It's probably already been mentioned (multiple times), but he reminds me a ton of Andre Reed with the ball in his hands.  Andre-like YAC-ability.   Two WRs with the souls of running backs.  Not sure we've even had a guy like that in the past 20 years.

Shakir paired with Diggs and Davis.  Wow, just wow!

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Was Shakir back for the opening kickoff, or was that someone else who fumbled it?

Taiwan Jones

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.