Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

i'll admit i'm gonna be seriously irritated if thats our go-to going forward. i dont understand the movement towards it when it seems the majority prefer our classic looks.

At the end of the day who really cares as long as they win the game. In my meaningless opinion every uniform combination the Bills have looks great except the all blues and all reds. I would like to see them bring back the blue over white throwbacks. They haven't used them in a while and that also looks good.

Classic "trap game" that the Bills are supposed to dominate.

You know... kinda like the Jags game last season in getting beaten by the team with the very worst record in the NFL. It still makes me wonder how such a bad team beat the Bills 6-9...really, only 2 FGs on offense? 

Anyway, they could be overlooking the Steelers for the Chiefs next week and if that's the case they will lose both games.

They need to keep in mind that EVERY win counts!

Home Field!

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, me too. 

On the bright side, Quintin Morris looks like a find even though he's more of a Gilliam "tweener" type and his blocking needs improvement - he clearly took a big step.

On the downside, signing OJ Howard only to watch $3.125M of guaranteed money flutter out the window really bummed me out.  I had hopes.  Was he really worse than Sweeney?

I think TE are important to Dorsey's vision of the O he wants to run.  Why is it so hard for us to find one?

it hasnt been. We have a really really good one in Knox. And we have a Morris as a backup who could develop into a real nice matchup weapon. 

I am not really worried about a “Trap Game”.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Mcd references last year Pit game which everyone had penciled us to win. At the end of the day I don’t think it will be close.

A bit concerned about these injuries that seem to pop up Monday to Wednesday when we haven’t even practiced yet. Tremaine seemed fine after last week. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I love the blue on blue.  

i get that there are people that do. And i dont truly dislike any of the combo's. but i'd bet money that if you put up a poll it wouldnt make the top 2 combos amongst the masses.... for me its 4th and it aint close to the top 3. regular home/away and all whites.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/6-things-to-watch-for-in-bills-vs-steelers-week-5

1. Rookie QB going into New Era

"We have no reservations about what Kenny is going to be capable of in terms of schematics," said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. "Obviously, we have a level of concern about the environment that we're taking him into, but you have a level of concern about any quarterback you take into that environment versus that defense in that venue."

Pittsburgh does have a .714 winning percentage in the regular season when starting a rookie quarterback, which is the highest winning percentage since the 1970 merger.

vs

In the 11 games that Buffalo's defense has faced rookie QBs they've logged 17 interceptions for an average of 1.5 per game. They've also posted a total of 30 sacks in those 11 matchups to average 2.7 per outing. Pickett realizes what he and his teammates will be walking into on Sunday.

2. Banged up DBs on both sides of the ball.  I think "advantage Steelers" here, though

Bills: Hyde, White, Benford OUT, Poyer questionable. 

Steelers: Witherspoon Doubtful with a hammy, Sutton limited with groin and hammy, Terrell Edmunds in concussion, Fitzpatrick with a knee (my guess is they all play except Witherspoon, but maybe they'll be a bit off?

3. WR

Bills have 3 "healthy" Diggs, Shakir, and Davis (and we know Davis isn't himself).  McKenzie concussion, but looking likely.  Need at least 1 more to be called up.  My guess is we'll see Hodgins, which is why Austin "took his ball and went home"

4. Robbers at Safety

Two teams tied for most picks.  Nuff said.

Poyer, btw, at least interviewing like he expects to be out there.

Meanwhile, the Steelers success can be somewhat attributed to a tweak in their defensive system with defensive coordinator Teryl Austin working with Senior defensive assistant Brian Flores. They allow Fitzpatrick the freedom to roam and make plays on the ball.

"I think it's a little bit of a different scheme," said Josh Allen of the Steelers defense. "But again, I think especially with Minkah back there, the things that they're able to do being interchangeable, and being nosy on some of these underneath routes. But he's on the same page with the corner. As soon as he dives down, that corner is going over the top and trying to fill that void where he's coming from. He's been able to force a lot of mistakes and interceptions that way. They're a high effort, high intensity defense and they've got a lot of motors, especially on that front."

5. No Watt

"The injuries on the back end of the defense have caused some issues in terms of limiting their personnel groupings and their defensive calls," said Steelers radio analyst Arthur Moats, who appeared on 'One Bills Live' this week. "If you don't have the personnel to play man defense, then you can't call that. So, you're forced to play more zone coverage than you might like. Now if T.J. Watt is healthy, you can get away with that because the pass rush is there. But when he's absent that's where the drop-off is. So, it's not just about T.J. being out, it's the injuries on the back end limiting what they can do coverage-wise."

Despite playing only one top tier quarterback so far this season in Joe Burrow, Pittsburgh's defense has given up 17 plays of 20 yards or more in their first four games, good for ninth most.

When Watt isn't in the lineup, they also give up a touchdown more per game (26 ppg) than when he is playing (20.4 ppg). Watt has only missed seven games in his career, but the Steelers are 0-7 without him.

Looking at the above, I kind of felt like the Steelers D isn't as good this year and maybe Kevin Butler knew something, but maybe the lack of TJ is watt's up.

6. OL

This is written about the Steelers but I feel could be written about the Bills:

"Part of the criticism in Pittsburgh is how the Steelers roster has been constructed," said Moats. "In that 2021 draft they went with the high-end luxury pieces (Najee Harris, Pat Friermuth). Right now, they're still trying to figure out who on the offensive line is a capable starter who can do it every single down because there has been a lot of inconsistency especially on the interior of that line."

For the Bills, IMHO, Kromer needs to prove he's "worth his salt" and coach the OL into getting the details right that will make a difference for run blocking.

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

At the end of the day who really cares as long as they win the game. In my meaningless opinion every uniform combination the Bills have looks great except the all blues and all reds. I would like to see them bring back the blue over white throwbacks. They haven't used them in a while and that also looks good.

agreed. i just had a convo about this with a fellow fan last week.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You know... kinda like the Jags game last season in getting beaten by the team with the very worst record in the NFL. It still makes me wonder how such a bad team beat the Bills 6-9...really, only 2 FGs on offense? 

Anyway, they could be overlooking the Steelers for the Chiefs next week and if that's the case they will lose both games.

Home Field!

I think the Bills will win big but they still have to be careful. The Steelers are playing to save their season. You know Tomlin will have them fired up with a wounded animal backed into the corner that has no choice but to come out fighting mentality. 

25 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

it hasnt been. We have a really really good one in Knox. And we have a Morris as a backup who could develop into a real nice matchup weapon. 

We have a TE in Knox who is being paid like a top TE.  He is top 5 in contract, top 6 in AAV.

I don't want to dump on the guy, 'cuz he's like 6 weeks out from a major life trauma of losing his brother.  And he's become a really good blocker, which is very much to his credit because he didn't start out that way.  That's what he's doing on a lot of the 75% of the snaps per game he gets.

But in terms of passing game production, is he a really really good TE?  I looked, and in total receptions, he's the #18 TE in the league right now.  Y/G, Y/R, 1D, TD - I couldn't find a passing game category where he broke the top 20.  Either he's not getting schemed for, or he's not getting open, or Josh doesn't trust him right now (which would not be a huge shock if he's been struggling with focus mentally in practice), or he's not himself physically (he's been on Injury report 3 out of 4 weeks for a whole anatomy chart of dings.

In what way is Knox showing you right now that he's a really really good one?  He did make a superb reception and hang on to the ball in the face of a nasty low OOB hit vs. the Ravens.  But overall in the Balt game, he caught 3 out of 6 targets and not adjusting on a deflected ball (obviously, this would have been really really good adjustment) helped cause a pick.

Edited by Beck Water

24 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Home Field!

Injuries on the o-line shifted people around and they didn’t gel. Daryl Williams was so bad at RT that game I’m of the opinion he pretty much lost it for us.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

We have a TE in Knox who is being paid like a top TE.  He is top 5 in contract, top 6 in AAV.

I don't want to dump on the guy, 'cuz he's like 6 weeks out from a major life trauma of losing his brother.  And he's become a really good blocker, which is very much to his credit because he didn't start out that way.  That's what he's doing on a lot of the 75% of the snaps per game he gets.

But in terms of passing game production, is he a really really good TE?  I looked, and in total receptions, he's the #18 TE in the league right now.  Y/G, Y/R, 1D, TD - I couldn't find a passing game category where he broke the top 20.  Either he's not getting schemed for, or he's not getting open, or Josh doesn't trust him right now (which would not be a huge shock if he's been struggling with focus mentally in practice), or he's not himself physically (he's been on Injury report 3 out of 4 weeks for a whole anatomy chart of dings.

Its been 4 games and hes been hampered with multiple injuries and we have not been focusing on getting him the ball. 

Yes he is a really good TE.

If Poyer has to be out then this is the week to do it. The Steelers offense hasn't been good and they are starting a rookie QB. Find a way to win this game (they should) get to 4-1 and Poyer has another week to get healthy. We will need him out there against Mahomes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Its been 4 games and hes been hampered with multiple injuries and we have not been focusing on getting him the ball. 

Yes he is a really good TE.

So my question to you is "in what way is he showing you right now that he's a really really good TE?", worth a top-5 contract?

If he's a really really good TE, wouldn't we be focused on getting him the ball?

Not concerned about injuries. Mckenzie should still be in protocol based on timeline/practice, but im confident he will be cleared and playing sunday. 

Can win this game without Poyer/Knox and throw in Edmunds in there too.

We still have 17 and the Steelers really really suck at football. 

Just need 1 more point than them. 

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Look, if KC was next week, I think Know and Poyer play.

I've been peeking at the Steelers secondary. They have five DBs that are dinged up. If we don't have to, let's let guys get some rest and get ready for KC

hopefully Poyer is just being given rest for a week and only misses this game.  I'm surprised Phillips and Edmunds haven't been ruled out but Knox and Poyer have

Just now, Beck Water said:

So my question to you is "in what way is he showing you right now that he's a really really good TE?", worth a top-5 contract?

If he's a really really good TE, wouldn't we be focused on getting him the ball?

From what ive seen in his past and what I expect us to do with him in the future is why I say he is a really really good TE. 

We would be focused on getting him the ball IF he was healthy and the other teams allowed us to get him the ball. Im sure at seasons end we will be happy with his production. We arent even a quarter of the way through the season. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Poyer out is interesting. I thought he’d be good to go. 

Johnson gets an opportunity to redeem himself.

I think he thought so too, but his face on the sideline after his pick looked like he was really really hurting. 

Hopefully he is coaching the hell out of Hamlin and Johnson.

But this is a big loss for us.

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Bills a -14 favorite, it’s hard not to see this game being close. Yes Pickett is a rookie, but he’s got solid playmakers around him. Our secondary is atrocious, think god our Dline can pass rush……

atrocious??? you smoke crack bro

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People like to think coaches don't overlook teams but McDermott is human and not stupid. 

With Allen and Diggs healthy and Watt out, the Bills are not losing to the Steelers. 

Sit whoever is beat up. KC next week is by far the biggest game of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.