Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The tre white and Von miller contracts were unlucky. The Knox contract was arguably bad judgment on Beanes part. 

Idk if you can say the Miller contract was unlucky. Most thought it was a terrible contact but if it got the Bills over the hump it would be worth every penny. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Is it still bad judgement if he never sees the big money? He made 6.4m last year, he hasn’t made the big numbers yet in his contract. 

Cap hit is all is all that matters from a fan perspective.  

17 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Cap hit is all is all that matters from a fan perspective.  

That is the cap hit.

He actually "made" $12.4m last year. The cap hit was $6.4m

He will "make" $10.5m last year. The cap hit is currently $14.3m but will likely end up $11.5m

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I could see them doing a cap saving maneuver with Knox.  Possible trade candidate imo.  Not a must but something to keep an eye on.   

I think this year he will be restructured and stay. A trade is a possibility next offseason though. That makes a lot of sense to me. 

I like the idea of being a heavy 12 formation team, but Knox's contract is too rich.  I think they should look to restructure and somehow incorporate a cut within that structure.  You could look to extend it by a year or two and have those years be very low payout years and spread out the cap hit.  Or they could just ask for him to take a pay cut and restructure.

I think Knox would go along with some variation of a pay cut and restructure.

• Like (+1) 1

You can't catch what isn't thrown to you.  Is it really on Knox that Dorsey had no idea he was on the roster until late in 2022 when suddenly he remembered Knox was coming off a 9 TD season (where he was also woefully under used by Daboll) and started using him the redzone again to a high degree of success.  But he was too often relegated to trying make up for a bad OL and used as an extra blocker here.  And now that we have a better OL, we also have Kincaid whose specialty is as a receiver, so it again keeps Knox value more often as a blocker.  

His contract made sense when he got it if he was going to be a fixture in the offense, but his contract now currently exceeds his current role which is more heavily as a blocker with Kincaid here.  

Look at SF.  Kittle wasn't producing anything in 2022 with Jimmy G at QB because Jimmy was a statue and Kittle was constantly used as a blocker.  Then Purdy comes in and suddenly has pocket mobility and escape the rush on his own and poof Kittle becomes a major weapon in that offense has a big finish to the season.  I am not saying Knox is on Kittle's level, but I am saying Knox is capable of much more statistically as a receiver if he could just get the targets.  He could easily be playing up to his contract from an offensive stand point if he was in an offense that actually used him consistently as a weapon and gave him targets.  

Regardless, because of his current role and reduced targets combined with his contract, I do think Knox could be a trade target.  They can bring in a much cheaper TE to fill a heavier blocking role in FA or even draft one.  Unfortunately for Knox, his contract is now expensive for what his likely role will be again this year.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this year he will be restructured and stay. A trade is a possibility next offseason though. That makes a lot of sense to me. 

Agreed. If Kincaid substantially improves his blocking this season, then Knox can get shipped out. Not happening until then. I think that’s the Bills plan tho. 

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Look at SF.  Kittle wasn't producing anything in 2022 with Jimmy G at QB because Jimmy was a statue and Kittle was constantly used as a blocker.  Then Purdy comes in and suddenly has pocket mobility and escape the rush on his own and poof Kittle becomes a major weapon in that offense has a big finish to the season.  I am not saying Knox is on Kittle's level, but I am saying Knox is capable of much more statistically as a receiver if he could just get the targets.  He could easily be playing up to his contract from an offensive stand point if he was in an offense that actually used him consistently as a weapon and gave him targets.  

Looking at the numbers, I don't see that to be the case at all.

9 games with Jimmy G he averaged 4 receptions per game for 50 ypg. Had three games with 80+ receiving yards (1 every third game) and 4 games under 30 receiving yards.

6 games with Purdy he averaged 4 receptions per game for 52 ypg. Had two games with 80+ receiving yards (1 every third game) and 4 games under 30 yards receiving, a more frequent rate of < 30 yard games than he had with Jimmy G as QB.

Kittle was used as a bigger red zone threat late in the season that year, but in terms of an important piece of the offense between the 20's, it doesn't appear that Kittle was used any differently than when he had Jimmy G throwing him the ball. 

Knox's entire career has mostly been the same but with much less production between the 20's. And some years Knox is used in the red zone, but other years he is not. 

On 2/23/2024 at 9:25 AM, Chaos said:

The tre white and Von miller contracts were unlucky. The Knox contract was arguably bad judgment on Beanes part. 

Unlucky, huh?  Well, if you support all things Buffalo Bills at all times, I guess you would write that.

Others might suggest there were hugely foreseeable and easily avoided mistakes.

Knox never looked like the real deal and dumping that huge money into a marquis pass rusher at the end of his career was ALWAYS going to be a folly.

Always WILL be a folly.

Kind of like throwing giant money at the biggest named FA on the first day of FA signings.  The best GMs don't do that crap.

I think Knox is a solid TE, and along with Kincaid, make up the best TE duo in the league. I think there's a lot of value in that. I think they restructure Knox to help the cap hit and keep him here through his prime. I like having 2 strong TE's.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

I think Knox is a solid TE, and along with Kincaid, make up the best TE duo in the league. I think there's a lot of value in that. I think they restructure Knox to help the cap hit and keep him here through his prime. I like having 2 strong TE's.

It just seems like more of a luxury when our QB is philosophically opposed to throwing to TE’s unless it’s a seam route or in the red zone.  

If we weren’t up against the cap, I don’t mind it at all.. but I’d much rather have Kincaid/Morris and then Knox money towards a legit WR3/4. 

Maybe it works out better this year.   I do think Knox is a good TE. 

On 2/23/2024 at 9:25 AM, Chaos said:

And yet, when the contract was announced, all of TSW was happy.   No one said it was bad judgment at the time.

image.png.b127dcf53c0a9539f8c9e67c2e6eca4d.png 

23 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

And yet, when the contract was announced, all of TSW was happy.   No one said it was bad judgment at the time.

image.png.b127dcf53c0a9539f8c9e67c2e6eca4d.png 

The majority of fans cheer for every contract regardless of the numbers. It's not specific to this fanbase.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:42 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Is it still bad judgement if he never sees the big money? He made 6.4m last year, he hasn’t made the big numbers yet in his contract. 

ummm I’m seeing 12.5m last year in cash flow to Knox between salary, roster bonuses, etc….

Edited by NoSaint

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.