Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bragging after an injury plagued season? 

His best game came after his injury, even then, 3 for 36.  In his starts he averaged 2 catches for 17 yards.  Even healthy he was pedestrian in the passing game, posting only 2 TDs, only one of significance, he posted a three-year low in 1st-Down/TD combos, and his 2 TDs were his career lowest and tied with his rookie season.  

Most puzzling is that they gave him that enormous contract, them used the 1st-round pick on Kincaid.  Presumably for a lot of 2TE sets.  But that didn't seem to work out so well down the stretch.  

Same with Hines & Sherfield & Harty, we always have big plans but can't seem to implement them, as if there's a disconnect between Beane & McD.

It's reasonable to consider that the ever changing strategies on offense also aren't doing Allen any favors. 

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, he's 16th in Base Salary this year: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/base/tight-end/

And 5th in total cap hit: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/tight-end/

I know at one point the Bills were undefeated in games Knox scored at least 1 TD. Something to be said for that and our offense clicking when we can get him the ball.

I normally agree with your takes Dawk but this is delusional. You have to look at total cap hit.  He's 4th, Taysom Hill was paid as a quarterback/TE, not TE.  

He's a number two TE for us moving forward, and we spent a first round pick on a TE last year! Wake up. The Bills own FO office knows it was a bad contract. 

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Evans and a rookie would be great. Or the 2024 versions of Sanders and Brown (not sure who that would be) who could be brought in for a reasonable price. 

Evans and a high rookie would be a grand slam!  

Sanders and Brown.....perhaps Tyler Boyd and Hollywood Brown are those type of players?  

I don't see any way Beane actually pulls this off, but it would be terrifying for the AFC

Evans

Diggs

T. Franklin 
Shakir
Rookie mid rounds 
Shorter 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think he’ll be a redzone target and blocker moving forward. I don’t think he’s going to live up to the contract, but that’s easy to see today.

He was an OK blocker, but he's not getting paid that much to block, as we all know.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think he’ll be a redzone target and blocker moving forward. I don’t think he’s going to live up to the contract, but that’s easy to see today.

It was predictable at the time too. He's always had injury/drop issues. Was never going to be an elite TE, should have never been paid as one. 

When the Bills gave Knox this extension, it made sense.

Then Dalton Kincaid happened. Now Knox's contract no longer makes sense. 

It's palatable for now, because they don't have other big dollars wrapped up in the TE position since Kincaid is on a rookie deal. Ultimately, for this to be sustainable for another couple seasons, they'll need to either make Knox a meaningful part of the offense along with Kincaid, or substantially re-structure the deal.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Evans and a rookie would be great. Or the 2024 versions of Sanders and Brown (not sure who that would be) who could be brought in for a reasonable price. 

Everytime I hear about Evans, I remember the heat I took for insisting that he would have a notably better career than Watkins after that draft because he was a much better and far more complete WR.  

We could have had him all along instead.  Or OBJ, or even Cooks.  

10 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

It was predictable at the time too. He's always had injury/drop issues. Was never going to be an elite TE, should have never been paid as one. 

Well you were right. 👏

I don’t think many were calling for a huge extension. But I definitely felt he had special talent for a TE. I really don’t want to see him on the field much anymore. Kincaid and Shakir should dominate passing reps over Knox. I love a traditional 11 personnel offense and I think Josh is much better running 11 personnel.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

Well thanks for reminding us how much we loved it at the time. I guess?

I'm not going to pretend that the last two years were not disappointing but I find it useful to look at when and where the dropoff happened. Even in his best year Knox didn't put up crazy yards but was a massive RedZone threat

I don't think it's a coincidence that along with the personal stuff and injuries going from 9 TDs to massive dropoff conincided with Daboll leaving and an uptick in RedZone a few weeks after he returned with Brady calling plays. 

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

we REALLY need some speed at WR.

It feels like we never hit a deep ball anymore, and it used to be a big part of the offense. 

I feel like I've never seen Kittle have a big game

Yup, that speed you speak of comes from the Brown / Sanders replacement, that has yet to happen. Just think of our offense with Diggs, (the new John Brown), Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox, catching the ball, add in the RBs and ya got  a pick your poison scenario for defenses, God I hope Beane out does himself in this regard…, we really need this to happen. 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Yup, that speed you speak of comes from the Brown / Sanders replacement, that has yet to happen. Just think of our offense with Diggs, (the new John Brown), Shakir, Kincaid, and Knox, catching the ball, add in the RBs and ya got  a pick your poison scenario for defenses, God I hope Beane out does himself in this regard…, we really need this to happen. 

and Henry... I would LOVE to have the big man pounding the rock when we need the tough yards or need to ice the game 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

it's almost like the drafting and signing strategies are not fully aligned with the play calling.  Signing Knox then getting Kincade, ok, 2 TE sets.  Never really happened.  Drafting Elam who is a press corner.  Also odd.  Hopefully the coaches will play to the talent this year, we seem to have a lot of it, but need to rev it up a bit.  We could come out in a game with 2 TE, then move away from it, go back to it, etc.  Really a lot of weapons, and hopefully another 1-2 with WRs in the draft.  

4 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

I think they gave him the big contract partly for potential (those early angry runs) and partly because he's a team guy and McDermott loves him. 

He’s a lot like Gabe Davis if you think about it. Inconsistent. Has some big moments. Great team guy.

I think if they didn’t sign Knox they would’ve signed Gabe Davis. Which player would you rather have?

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

and Henry... I would LOVE to have the big man pounding the rock when we need the tough yards or need to ice the game 

another thing here, having Henry in those situations stops Josh from having to be the guy taking that pounding, which is something the FO wants.  Let him be free on passing downs to take a lane if there, but no need on short yards of under 5.  We could pound Henry.  

• Like (+1) 1

Good guy, occasionally makes a big play. Crazy contract for his production. Beane swung and missed on this one. It happens.

I expect this year will see a lot more of Kincaid and Knox will realize he's lost the TE #1 spot for good. Will he redo his deal for less money? I don't know. 

Can't release him in 2024 without taking $20 million dead cap. That's $7.8 million dead cap  in 2025, vs. a $15.4 million 2025 salary. I expect him cut next year if he doesn't redo.

Knox contract.jpg

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

At the time they signed Knox, Dalton Kincaid was still in college and nobody could have known we’d have the chance to draft him. Were they supposed to not sign Knox?

They could have waited another year, he wasn't a free agent.  They also didn't have to committ top 5 TE money for 4 years! The fact they even took a TE in the first round just a year after signing Knox to that contract shows says a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Well you were right. 👏

I don’t think many were calling for a huge extension. But I definitely felt he had special talent for a TE. I really don’t want to see him on the field much anymore. Kincaid and Shakir should dominate passing reps over Knox. I love a traditional 11 personnel offense and I think Josh is much better running 11 personnel.

This is fair and I agree on the personnel.  Diggs, explosive rookie WR2, Shakir and Kincaid in traditional 11 personnel should be our base. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.