Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

Knox didn't suddenly become unable to make plays. 

We lost Beasley, Brown and Sanders and basically didn't replace them until this year with Kincaid. in 2022 we brought Brown and Beasley out of retirement for a playoff run for crying out loud! 

Shakir has made some nice plays, and hopefully he continues to develop. But we forget that we had Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Sanders and Knox. We used to have actual deep threats on the team to open up space.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Bringing this thread back to life after some time has passed from the Knox signing. I took a lot of heat for saying it on this board at the time, but it was a terrible contract then and looks even worse now.  It needs to be talked about how bad of a miss this was by Beane.  

The gift that keeps giving.  He’s due $5m roster bonus in march that’s guaranteed.  Paying him $10m this year to be a glorified Quentin Morris.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Bringing this thread back to life after some time has passed from the Knox signing. I took a lot of heat for saying it on this board at the time, but it was a terrible contract then and looks even worse now.  It needs to be talked about how bad of a miss this was by Beane.  He is going to count $14 mil against the cap this year, $20m if we release him... How the heck did Beane let this happen!  It was so obvious he was going to regress his touchdown numbers were inflated that season before we re-signed him.  He's never flashed elite talent.  I'm still sick over it.

Bragging after an injury plagued season? I think his brother died the year he signed the contract. Also, no one cares if you were right or wrong. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Bringing this thread back to life after some time has passed from the Knox signing. I took a lot of heat for saying it on this board at the time, but it was a terrible contract then and looks even worse now.  It needs to be talked about how bad of a miss this was by Beane.  He is going to count $14 mil against the cap this year, $20m if we release him... How the heck did Beane let this happen!  It was so obvious he was going to regress his touchdown numbers were inflated that season before we re-signed him.  He's never flashed elite talent.  I'm still sick over it.

It wouldn't be an issue if the Von contract wasn't hurting us and we weren't in a transitional year. The microscope naturally moves onto those players who haven't lived up to their deals, and Knox has been dealing with both loss and battling through injuries. Let's ease up on the dramatic Knox contract talk.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bragging after an injury plagued season? I think his brother died the year he signed the contract. Also, no one cares if you were right or wrong. 

You basically said the same thing I did... JINX!!! :P

• Haha (+1) 1

I still think he can get back to where he was an be a fairly consistent playmaker. 

We NEED more threats at WR. It doesn't have to be Mike Evans, although that would be awesome. Brown and Beasley were sort of mid-level guys and really had some great times here with Allen. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

Even before Knox's injuries and personal tragedies, the contract seemed high but we were told that's the way the TE position is headed. Right now Knox is the 5th highest-paid TE in the league & he’ll probably be the Bills 5th target on offense next year

Diggs
Cook
Kincaid
Shakir/New Guy
Knox?

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Injury plagued?! Try being replaced by a rookie that we took in the first round because Knox was a not an impact player to begin with.  You are forgetting he didn't live up to the contract last year either, (and never has).  He got paid top 5 TE money! Only Kittle, Andrews and Kelce will make more than him this coming season (and like barely more).  And he's always had some durability questions marks, that's part of the issue with the contract!

Edited by vtnatefootball11

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

We lost Beasley, Brown and Sanders and basically didn't replace them until this year with Kincaid. in 2022 we brought Brown and Beasley out of retirement for a playoff run for crying out loud! 

Shakir has made some nice plays, and hopefully he continues to develop. But we forget that we had Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Sanders and Knox. We used to have actual deep threats on the team to open up space.

That was such a strong 4 WR set.  I hope Beane outdoes himself over the next few months

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Injury plagued?! Try being replaced by a rookie that we took in the first round because Knox was a not an impact player to begin with.  You are forgetting he didn't live up to the contract last year either, (and never has).  He got paid top 5 TE money! Only Kelce will make more than him this coming season.  And he's always had some durability questions marks, that's part of the issue with the contract!

I don't think any of that is true. I don't think he was the highest paid when he got his contract, when that happens you're not going to suddenly be higher paid than people as time goes on, more people pass you.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

That was such a strong 4 WR set.  I hope Beane outdoes himself over the next few months

For sure! No wonder we moved the ball at will. People forget just how good Brown, Sanders and Beasley were as compliments to Diggs. Suddenly Knox was open all the time too. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This, except we only replaced the Beasley part of those losses with Kincaid,  Shakir is the new 3/4 WR, replacing Davis…,  we still don’t have the Brown or Sanders replacement, this needs to be addressed this off season, jmo. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

I don't think any of that is true. I don't think he was the highest paid when he got his contract, when that happens you're not going to suddenly be higher paid than people as time goes on, more people pass you.

I edited it, to include Kittle and Andrews. It's true.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/salaries/breakdown/tight-end/

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I still think he can get back to where he was an be a fairly consistent playmaker. 

We NEED more threats at WR. It doesn't have to be Mike Evans, although that would be awesome. Brown and Beasley were sort of mid-level guys and really had some great times here with Allen. 

Exactly that's my point!  His ceiling was a fairly consistent playmaker if he has enough support around him, why did we pay him elite TE money?! It is a disgusting contract any way you look at it, even getting full leniency for injuries, death of his brother etc. It's awful, awful. GM malpractice really.  Beane has been so damn good it's just shocking, that's why I can't get over it.  Miller was an elite player and it was risky contract but at least I understand the roll of the dice there.  

• Disagree 3

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

This, except we only replaced the Beasley part of those losses, Shakir is the new 3/4 WR, replacing Davis…,  we still don’t have the Brown or Sanders replacement, this needs to be addressed this off season, jmo. 

we REALLY need some speed at WR.

It feels like we never hit a deep ball anymore, and it used to be a big part of the offense. 

1 minute ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I edited it, to include Kittle and Andrews. It's true.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/salaries/breakdown/tight-end/

Exactly that's my point!  His ceiling was a fairly consistent playmaker if he has enough support around him, why did we pay him elite TE money?! It is a disgusting contract any way you look at it, even getting full leniency for injuries, death of his brother etc. It's awful, awful. GM malpractice really.  Beane has been so damn good it's just shocking, that's why I can't get over it.  Miller was an elite player and it was risky contract but at least I understand the roll of the dice there.  

I feel like I've never seen Kittle have a big game

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah, he's 16th in Base Salary this year: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/base/tight-end/

And 5th in total cap hit: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/tight-end/

I know at one point the Bills were undefeated in games Knox scored at least 1 TD. Something to be said for that and our offense clicking when we can get him the ball.

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

For sure! No wonder we moved the ball at will. People forget just how good Brown, Sanders and Beasley were as compliments to Diggs. Suddenly Knox was open all the time too. 

IF we're going to keep Diggs, we need to find a way to add 2 more legit playmakers to go along with Shakir 

Diggs

C. Sutton

Franklin

Shakir  - Slot 
C. Samuel
Shorter 

Something along these lines 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Kind of amazing that we won 6 games in a row at end of year and got 2 seed when you look at our cap.  Miller and Tre are done, Milano 2nd major injury of his 6 year career, Knox is now a nice #2 Tight End, and Diggs was playing like #2 WR second half of year.  5 of our top 7 cap hits are either non-producing or under-performing their contracts.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IF we're going to keep Diggs, we need to find a way to add 2 more legit playmakers to go along with Shakir 

Evans and a rookie would be great. Or the 2024 versions of Sanders and Brown (not sure who that would be) who could be brought in for a reasonable price. 

14 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Even before Knox's injuries and personal tragedies, the contract seemed high but we were told that's the way the TE position is headed. Right now Knox is the 5th highest-paid TE in the league & he’ll probably be the Bills 5th target on offense next year

Diggs
Cook
Kincaid
Shakir/New Guy
Knox?

I think he’ll be a redzone target and blocker moving forward. I don’t think he’s going to live up to the contract, but that’s easy to see today.