Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

Just now, RyanC883 said:

another thing here, having Henry in those situations stops Josh from having to be the guy taking that pounding, which is something the FO wants.  Let him be free on passing downs to take a lane if there, but no need on short yards of under 5.  We could pound Henry.  

Love it! And Cook, Allen and Henry all stay fresher for the stretch run

Give the king 10 touches a game, max, unless circumstances warrant it and ramp up in late December/early January so he's near full strength when the games are biggest

In the old days guys would push back on that, but these days younger players understand and appreciate load management a lot more 

The goal is 20 carries for the king to ice the AFC Title Game in Orchard Park once we're up multiple scores 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

They could have waited another year, he wasn't a free agent.  They also didn't have to committ top 5 TE money for 4 years! The fact they even took a TE in the first round just a year after signing Knox to that contract shows says a lot.

Look, the way I see it is that Dawson Knox was certainly an up and comer at the time they signed him to that deal. They probably did overpay but the sky, at that time, seemed to be the limit for that kid.

Most all teams in the league are dealing with contracts they wish they hadn’t handed out. 

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

and Henry... I would LOVE to have the big man pounding the rock when we need the tough yards or need to ice the game 

A Henry type RB would be certainly nice, but imo, not as important an acquisition  as getting a new John Brown type of receiver, but bigger, and ideally through the draft that can go long with speed and be a screen pass option type of thing, a guy who can run an expanded route tree, fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s a lot like Gabe Davis if you think about it. Inconsistent. Has some big moments. Great team guy.

I think if they didn’t sign Knox they would’ve signed Gabe Davis. Which player would you rather have?

Beane should have done exactly what they are doing with Davis (and what they did with Edmunds), not panic and overpay with a year still left on this contract for a guy that still has questions marks and has proven won't be elite. Let them play their final year and walk if they won't take a team friendly deal.  Of course, it's never an easy call and Beane has done so well, he just really messed up on the Knox call. I have to think Allen's friendship with Knox loomed large and maybe caused a decision that went against Beane's better judgement. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Love it! And Cook, Allen and Henry all stay fresher for the stretch run

Give the king 10 touches a game, max, unless circumstances warrant it and ramp up in late December/early January so he's near full strength when the games are biggest

In the old days guys would push back on that, but these days younger players understand and appreciate load management a lot more 

The goal is 20 carries for the king to ice the AFC Title Game in Orchard Park once we're up multiple scores 

The question becomes what is Henry’s asking price? The ball park projection is a one year $8-10m. He still has voidable on the Titans’ books which means if it’s $10m, 4.7m is what they are still paying him…

Does he take a $4m deal to come here? Maybe… Not that it matters, but do fans want them forking out $6-7m for a guy who’s only getting 10 touches unless the circumstances dictate otherwise? 

Someone is going to pay more than 4 for his services. Guaranteed. 

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

it's almost like the drafting and signing strategies are not fully aligned with the play calling.  Signing Knox then getting Kincade, ok, 2 TE sets.  Never really happened.  Drafting Elam who is a press corner.  Also odd.  Hopefully the coaches will play to the talent this year, we seem to have a lot of it, but need to rev it up a bit.  We could come out in a game with 2 TE, then move away from it, go back to it, etc.  Really a lot of weapons, and hopefully another 1-2 with WRs in the draft.  

I feel like they went 2 TEs alot with Dorsey and wasn't that effective,  Brady then opened up the O, getting Shakir in the slot instead 

Knox is still a valuable piece but this contract was way too high

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

it's almost like the drafting and signing strategies are not fully aligned with the play calling.  Signing Knox then getting Kincade, ok, 2 TE sets.  Never really happened.  Drafting Elam who is a press corner.  Also odd.  Hopefully the coaches will play to the talent this year, we seem to have a lot of it, but need to rev it up a bit.  We could come out in a game with 2 TE, then move away from it, go back to it, etc.  Really a lot of weapons, and hopefully another 1-2 with WRs in the draft.  

They signed Knox two seasons ago.

Did you think they should’ve thought, “we shouldn’t sign Knox in case there’s a first round TE we draft next year because all of the good WR’s are gone?”

• Disagree 1

Make no mistake about it.....Knox is a good football player.  I just wish we weren't the ones paying him $14 mill a year.  He'd be fine as another team's number 1 at that money, but on this team, that money should have been invested in getting better at other positions.  Now, maybe it's because this team is littered with offensive talent that can't hold onto the ball in crucial times, but he's always had a drop problem.  He'll make the occasional outstanding play, but then drop the easy 3rd down conversion that we really needed in that moment. 

Unfortunately, he's not the only one on this team that has ben prone to do this in recent years.  Cook, who I never saw drop a ball in college, has dropped what.....5 easy TDs?  Gabe Davis, who won't probably be on this team going forward, was prone to not coming up with the ball when needed the last couple years anyway.  Even Diggs, who has shown to have some of the best hands in the league at times, has recently not come up with catches when needed.  You throw Knox's drops that have been there all along, and it just makes that contract tougher to swallow. 

That's not his fault that these other guys drop the ball as well, but it seems all of our playmakers are prone to come up short when needed the most and when he drops the easy ones sometimes, it is just frustrating.  They could have waited on the contract too.....they didn't need to do it when they did.  Throw in the fact that they drafted Kincaid (who is a much better and more talented player) who is forcing Knox down the depth chart, and that doesn't help either.  I think a combination of all these things play into the frustration with Knox and his contract, but he's still a good player.  Just shouldn't be making that money on this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was a bit skeptical about the dollar amount considering his usage in the offense. Since then, his usage has only decreased and we invested a 1st round pick in another TE. This deal looks pretty bad now. Knox is good but should not be making top TE money.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Beane should have done exactly what they are doing with Davis (and what they did with Edmunds), not panic and overpay with a year still left on this contract for a guy that still has questions marks and has proven won't be elite. Let them play their final year and walk if they won't take a team friendly deal.  Of course, it's never an easy call and Beane has done so well, he just really messed up on the Knox call. I have to think Allen's friendship with Knox loomed large and maybe caused a decision that went against Beane's better judgement. 

So very true....we were so smart with Edmunds & Davis, yet I think Josh's friendship influenced the quick decision. Now we know Kincaid is far superior and unfortunately we're stuck with an expensive blocking TE. We gotta start ending these contracts. The money from Knox and Von alone could be put to better use. 

These threads are always interesting to revisit, but in hindsight talk about what might be the worst deal of Beane's tenure in Buffalo.

Even if you consider Kincaid more of a slot WR type of player, there's no justification for Knox to be paid this type of money at the TE position given his production. He also still has serious problems with catching the ball and staying healthy.

Best case is that he agrees to a contract restructure that allows him to be traded or released but that's always easier said than done.

• Like (+1) 3

Looks like I didn’t comment in this thread at the time of the extension…. 

I like Knox, and probably would have been in favour like most were …

It’s not looking great now though … and they are handcuffed to him another year at least ,,,.

I hope Brady can utilise him more in 2024 than what we saw this year … but I don’t want this to come at the expense of Kincaid taking the next step …

Trying to be optimistic…. He is a number 1 TE on some teams still , so they should be able to move him on for a pick next year ..

40 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I was a bit skeptical about the dollar amount considering his usage in the offense. Since then, his usage has only decreased and we invested a 1st round pick in another TE. This deal looks pretty bad now. Knox is good but should not be making top TE money.

That was my exact argument at the time. Josh had never shown a reliance on using the TE, so I didn’t understand the timing of the extension. Especially when you also factor in it was Dorsey’s first year as a play caller. Wouldn’t you like to see how Knox is utilized before throwing that sort of money at him?I also didn’t think Knox would suddenly develop glue hands if he were to get more targets. That drop against PIT that led to Bernard getting injured on the very next series was inexcusable. No one but the Bills was paying Knox that contract. We outbid ourselves. He’s a great guy by all accounts and a close friend of Josh, but that’s bad money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Bringing this thread back to life after some time has passed from the Knox signing. I took a lot of heat for saying it on this board at the time, but it was a terrible contract then and looks even worse now.  It needs to be talked about how bad of a miss this was by Beane.  He is going to count $14 mil against the cap this year, $20m if we release him... How the heck did Beane let this happen!   His touchdown numbers were inflated that season before we re-signed him, there was no good reason to extend him at that time.  He's never flashed elite talent.  I'm still sick over it.

The negative reactions to this comment speak volumes.

The Knox deal was a bad one and there's no way to justify it.  Think of where that money could be going this off season.  

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.