Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If everything mentioned in that article (public sex, rape kit, reported allegations the next day, witnesses) then I can’t see how the DA could justify not charging Araiza in this. Seems like as open and shut as rape cases can get. 

That was my first thought.  I can't figure out how there weren't arrests made

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

DA just got the case.  

Sure, but it's out of the ordinary for a civil suit to be served before charges have been filed. You're a hell of a lot more likely to win a civil suit if you've got a guilty verdict from the criminal case to back you up. Either way, I'm inclined to believe the victim, but maybe we'll be surprised.

I never thought i'd be as excited about a punter as I've been with this guy, so this blows. Time to give Moorman some stem cell injections I guess.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It sounds like San Diego State covered it up also. 

possibly. It’s also possible (and suggested in the LA Times article) that the SDPD waited quite a while before giving the school the okay to thoroughly investigate, lest they interfere with the criminal investigation.

Just now, Shake_My_Head said:

Civil suit?   But no criminal one?    That just seems backward to me on such a serious accusation.

I believe the DA just got the case recently and is making their prosecution decision. If everything reported is true, I can’t see how he/she could justify not prosecuting. It seems like the girl followed every possible channel to report and did it timely. Apparently a rape investigation takes 9+ months (something I never knew). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

If everything mentioned in that article (public sex, rape kit, reported allegations the next day, witnesses) then I can’t see how the DA could justify not charging Araiza in this. Seems like as open and shut as rape cases can get. 

Araiza’s Defense Attorney claims to have witnesses saying something different. If it is open and shut you have to wonder why we’re ten months in without criminal proceedings commencing and that’s something which will surely turn the heat up under the state department and the college in particular.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I need to look at this with non fan Goggles. However, literally today a local HUGE grocery chain fired a woman for allegedly saying that her male manager hugged her in an uncomfortable way (to be transparent....I am the said man's doctor).  He was called into HR a few days ago for his side of the story and to take his information down. She said a specific time and date that it happened and in a spot that didn't have a camera until a month ago. The store security looked at 2 days of footage in the camera and only noticed her looking around and no sign of him.

She was fired on the spot. A month ago it would have been the other way around.

I hate the times we live in. Just let the DA do their job and see what comes of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I totally agree.  It seems the other shoe dropping is the "these are athletes" and some extra considerations were given.

I get the feeling this is going to have a lot of ugly heads coming out of it, some true some not.

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Sure, but it's out of the ordinary for a civil suit to be served before charges have been filed. You're a hell of a lot more likely to win a civil suit if you've got a guilty verdict from the criminal case to back you up. Either way, I'm inclined to believe the victim, but maybe we'll be surprised.

I never thought i'd be as excited about a punter as I've been with this guy, so this blows. Time to give Moorman some stem cell injections I guess.

You only have a period of time to file a civil suit.