Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

34 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I recommend watching the Broncos tape. It doesn't lie. #68 was one of the Bills better OL, playing LT and LG and tackle-eligible in jumbos. I don't quite believe it myself, but his best reps were at LT.

I saw it. It's tough for me to get over the tape of his preceding career. Yes, Kromer is here. But I guess I'm gonna need more to be convinced than a game against the Broncos' backups in preseason. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I saw it. It's tough for me to get over the tape of his preceding career. Yes, Kromer is here. But I guess I'm gonna need more to be convinced than a game against the Broncos' backups in preseason. 

But see that’s right when you trade a player at their highest point if they’re not in your future plans

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

But see that’s right when you trade a player at their highest point if they’re not in your future plans

I agree completely. Ford had the occasional run block but man oh man he couldn't figure out pass blocking. Getting a pick was a nice way to cut our loss.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Based on some of the information that's come out about Ford's mental makeup in recent days, it seems that this is one of very few cases where Beane and the scouting staff failed to properly vet a prospect's character. I'm a big believer in the football character archetype he looks for. I think it is an underrated reason for our overall roster from top to bottom being so strong. When players fail here, it isn't for lack of character or trying. Even the ones that don't quite pass muster as football players are still able to contribute because they care about the game and give their best effort. Having an entire team of people like that counts for something. Ford apparently didn't fit in with that crowd. He was lazy, unreceptive to criticism, entitled, weak in the face of adversity. I think Ford getting traded now is more a signal of the type of person they realized he is than a signal of how they see him as a football player.

I think this exactly correct.

I think McD worked with him for years, but he simply wasn't a character fit. 

In his farewell post, I heard Ford saying thnk you for all that he learned. He sincerely appreciated what the coaches put in to help him, but it wasn't enough.

43 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Also need to remember (everyone, not you) that the defense wasn't scheming to take advantage of Bobby Hart either e.g. taking away his help, trying to force him to block in space or against speed, etc.  He's an NFL veteran, he has a skill set. Last Saturday lined up really well with what he is good at.  Friday night may or may not do more of that.

The staff has shown us repeatedly that any backup linemen need to be able to play multiple positions. Ford is gone because he is guard only (amongst other stuff). Hart showed he can play some tackle and some guard, hence he's here for now.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Nobody thought it possible before Kromer was hired.  If you can find some pre-Kromer posts proving otherwise be my guest.

We weren't talking about it before then but that is because people were still talkong about last seasln. However, before a single practice had happened you will find people speculating about possibly trading Cody.

4 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

5th round is a day 3 pick, no? I still really like the trade. 

Yes. That was my point. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Ford pick came at a time when he Bills WR room consisted of John Brown and Cole Beasley.  Instead of addressing this glaring need at a high impact position (and with a budding star QB), and with guys like AJ Brown and even Metcalf available for a 2nd, Beane went with a low impact pick (O-line).  Now he's flipping the same guy  before his rookie contract is up for a 5th.  

You are linking two separate events. 

The only reason to do so is an absolutely desperate need to frame a positive as a negative. A few people on here seem to share your sad need to do so. The rest of us look on in pity.

Few if any defend Beane's choice of Ford in the draft. It appears to have been a bad pick.

It is also in the past, and as such unchangeable. A sunken cost, as Kirby put it.

What Beane did today, in the current situation, was a damn good move. Yes, if you go out of your way to lasso something from the past and to look at them together, you're not looking at what happened today correctly. It would be just as reasonable to say that when you look at the move today in the context of Beane's also selecting Milano in the 5th, it proves that today's move shows Beane is one of the greatest of all time. That would also be unreasonably framing today's move, though that would be a poor attempt to frame positively rather than the negative way you are doing it.

Roping the two together is simply a distortion of what happened today. It is a pathetic attempt to frame what happened today as a negative. It is not. It is damn good move. Which does not eliminate the fact that what happened three years ago in drafting him was a negative. Again, it was.

If you can find people on here trying to say that drafting Ford was a good move, you'll be sensible to argue with them. But not many would say that.

What happened today appears to be a damn good move. It's still possible we look back in a few years and say that he doesn't hold onto OLs long enough as the Ford and Teller moves show. But that appears to me and to most of us as unlikely. As of today, today's move looks pretty damn good to clear-eyed Bills fans.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

he doesn't need to do anything about it--other than what he did.  No torture, no evisceration, decapitation, no emasculation, castration, fenestration, penetration.

But also, no slobbering genuflection for scraping something out of a bad decision.  

Is it finally clear?  

Clear. Just really dumb. The desperate need to yet again try to frame this by looking at two moves rather than one is poor thinking

Edited by Thurman#1

Ford was a bad pick.. Maybe he’s salvageable, but he’s clearly not the talent many thought he was coming out of OU.  Beane wasn’t the only one fooled.  

That said, flipping him for a 5th is Beane recognizing the mistake and doing the best he can to remedy it.  

We could lament taking a 2nd Rounder and turning him around for a 5th, but we also got 3 years out of him.  The guy is in a contract year.  Good players with bloated contracts and decent players in their contract year get moved for mid-round picks.  We got a 5th round pick for a bad player (w/ some upside) in a contract year. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Worth saying too that the trade takes us back to the "normal" level of seven picks in the 2023 Draft. 

We are without a 7th rounder from the Andre Smith trade a couple of years ago. 

Smart GM’s know when to cut bait.  We now have a 5th next year so well done BB.  Besides we’re just going to use it to trade up next year to go higher in the 3rd or 4th.

9 hours ago, eball said:

What’s clear is that you feel some sort of weird obligation to tell fans they shouldn’t be happy about their GM doing good things. 

See below.  The "at his best" was a weak take.  

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You are linking two separate events. 

The only reason to do so is an absolutely desperate need to frame a positive as a negative. A few people on here seem to share your sad need to do so. The rest of us look on in pity.

Few if any defend Beane's choice of Ford in the draft. It appears to have been a bad pick.

It is also in the past, and as such unchangeable. A sunken cost, as Kirby put it.

What Beane did today, in the current situation, was a damn good move. Yes, if you go out of your way to lasso something from the past and to look at them together, you're not looking at what happened today correctly. It would be just as reasonable to say that when you look at the move today in the context of Beane's also selecting Milano in the 5th, it proves that today's move shows Beane is one of the greatest of all time. That would also be unreasonably framing today's move, though that would be a poor attempt to frame positively rather than the negative way you are doing it.

Roping the two together is simply a distortion of what happened today. It is a pathetic attempt to frame what happened today as a negative. It is not. It is damn good move. Which does not eliminate the fact that what happened three years ago in drafting him was a negative. Again, it was.

If you can find people on here trying to say that drafting Ford was a good move, you'll be sensible to argue with them. But not many would say that.

What happened today appears to be a damn good move. It's still possible we look back in a few years and say that he doesn't hold onto OLs long enough as the Ford and Teller moves show. But that appears to me and to most of us as unlikely. As of today, today's move looks pretty damn good to clear-eyed Bills fans.

Clear. Just really dumb. The desperate need to yet again try to frame this by looking at two moves rather than one is poor thinking

Maybe you didn't understand what I was responding to.  I think Beane is a very good GM.  But the claim that he took a bad 2nd round  pick (I thought it was a pick at the wrong position for need at the time, not just a pick of a bum) and a few years later turned it into a 5th isn't a GM "at his best'.  It's a decent break for an error, not a stroke of masterful management.  I've made that clear in every post.   That's not "framing it as a negative". 

Given the source, I'll take your opinion of "poor thinking" as the conclusion of an expert in that field...lol. 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.