Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

Just now, Gugny said:

It's not like we can expect Beane to come out and say, "yeah, it was a bad pick and he turned out to be a bust."  But that's pretty much what he's saying.  It happens.

Agree. And when Beane says he is going to look at his process I am convinced he means as much in terms of the person he drafts as the player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Smart move.  Any pics in 5th round or lower are extremely valuable picks.  Let’s remember that Khalil Shakir was our 5 this year.  I love loading up on pics and grabbing some value instead of just making cuts.

Yea and also more ammunition to potentially move up to the 4th . Taron Johnson, Gabe Davis both 4th 5th rders. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can respect Beane for this statement but overall he has been pretty dreadful when drafting in the trenches on both sides of the ball so far with Teller being the only big hit and ironically drafting Ford was one of the main reason he was traded to the Browns.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe right after that was when Beane said “I know some things.” Which to me meant he knows Ford’s attitude was an issue and something they needed to do better in this case to vet out. I don’t think a player who never had the issues that Dawkins exposed just becomes that way after they get drafted. It was something they missed with Cody, which has rarely happened with this regime, but great he took responsibility and mentioned corrective actions.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

I believe right after that was when Beane said “I know some things.” Which to me meant he knows Ford’s attitude was an issue and something they needed to do better in this case to vet out. I don’t think a player who never had the issues that Dawkins exposed just becomes that way after they get drafted. It was something they missed with Cody, which has rarely happened with this regime, but great he took responsibility and mentioned corrective actions.

One thing that always stands out with Ford for me is I remember he was posting pics on social media of gaudy jewlery, new cars, etc after signing his rookie contract before playing a down in the NFL.

Obviously not the only guy to do this pro sports but thought there was a clear pattern there and showed what he really cared about instead of being humble and knowing the NFL is a different ball game and you have to earn everything despite draft status.

Maybe being reunited with Kyler Murray will be good for him but still don't see him every amounting to much in this league.

22 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

But, but, but… I was told that Aaron Kromer had reformed him into a serviceable player…

He reformed him into having 5th round value apparently. Which is even better.

22 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Wow. Not great ROI, but glad they got something out of a guy not likely to have been in their plans after this year. 

ROI is fine. He depreciated in value. It's not like they traded him in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Can respect Beane for this statement but overall he has been pretty dreadful when drafting in the trenches on both sides of the ball so far with Teller being the only big hit and ironically drafting Ford was one of the main reason he was traded to the Browns.

Yeah, Oliver sucks.  Rock on, Fish fan.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s fantastic ROI.

11 minutes ago, Airseven said:

ROI is fine. He depreciated in value. It's not like they traded him in 2020.

A trade up two spots in the 2019 Draft to a high second round pick (giving up a 2019 5th round pick to do so) to select a failed offensive tackle (who was repositoned and again failed at guard) that you flip for what will likely be a mid to late 5th round pick is a terrible ROI any way you slice it. No one bats 1.000, but second round picks are supposed to play and play well through their first contract (and ideally beyond). These aren’t automobiles. You get a guy into your program, and develop him the right way, then he should appreciate in value (at least until they reach their full potential and begin to slip due to age).  

Beane saved a little face getting out from under a terrible investment for a 5th rounder for someone not in the team’s future plans doesn’t make it a complete loss (particularly if they would’ve cut him for nothing), but that shouldn’t be considered “fantastic” (or even “fine”) ROI. They got pennies on the dollar for him. It was a failed draft pick and decision to trade up for him. Beane even admitted as much in his presser today saying they need to go back and reevaluate how this happened during their draft process. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Dreadful?  Really?

Including Cody Ford, our GM has only drafted seven trench players in the Top 3 Rounds.

• Harrison Phillips had a bad injury in Year 2 which hampered his development.  But he was a pretty solid rotational DT by his final year here, and is now slated to start for the Minnesota Vikings.  Any third rounder who signs as a starter in free agency is not a bad pick.
  • Ed Oliver has been steadily getting better each season.  He was a no-brainer for the 5th Year Option, and many feel that he's on the verge of a Pro-Bowl breakout season.  At the worst, he's been a rock-solid starting DT for us.
  • AJ Epenesa has been a disappointment.  No disagreement there.  But we have seen flashes, and I still think he's got the potential to be a solid contributor on this team.  This is a make or break year.
  • Greg Rousseau, Boogie Basham and Spencer Brown are entering their second seasons, so it's way too early to make a determination about any of them.  But Rousseau started all 17 games last year, and graded as one of the league's best run defenders.  Basham has flashed this summer and in the preseason.  Brown has been injured most of training camp, but did start 10 games as a rookie.

If your only standard of a "hit" is landing a perennial All-Pro, your expectations are totally out of whack.

Nobody hits 100%.  Compared to other GMs around the league, Beane is easily one of the best in the business.  This is evidenced not only by the Bills team success, but also by the number of his draft picks who are still playing in the NFL.  Out of the 31 guys he has drafted, only Vosean Joseph is not currently on an NFL roster.  That's crazy good.

The same guy who drafted Cody Ford, is the same guy who drafted Wyatt Teller.

That tells me that Brandon Beane does know O-Line talent.  The real question is why they gave up on Teller one year too soon (despite him showing flashes), while sticking with Ford until the very end?  There was some kind of misstep during the on-field/practice evaluation process which needs to be corrected.  I wouldn't be surprised if that played a part in the O-Line coaching change this offseason.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

One good preseason game going against 2nd and 3rd stringers plus a couple of mentions about him having a decent camp for once and somehow we get a pick back. Unreal. I'd say Beane deserves a medal for this if he wasn't the buffoon who took Cody in the first place. 

Sooo...If we were to have cut Ford, he would have been in the top quintile of G cuts around the league.  No one on our roster past Mancz can be put in that category.  I think we will be on the lookout for the best G cut to 53.  My $ is on old friend Jack Anderson, currently a backup on the Iggles.

Or, even crazier, we can go with 8 OL for a little while and keep an extra player, like Blackshear.  For example.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:07 PM, KDIGGZ said:

Moved UP in the 2nd round to draft him. If you are drafting a G that hight they better be a 10 year starter. Happy to get something for him and a 5th was way higher than I would have expected

Not that it makes it better or worse but they drafted him with the intention for him to play RT

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.