Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If that is the case, I am happy they moved on from him, even if he was improving as a player.  It sends a message that if you negatively impact team chemistry, you will be gone.  

Here is what Dawkins said:

“Cody is a fighter,” Dawkins said. “Last year, he was upset he wasn’t playing. This year, he’s taking it as a reality check and is handling it the right way."

“What we want to see is him respecting the challenge and not complaining about it. As long as he’s not pouting and keeping high spirits, as long as he puts his best work on film, he understands what needs to be done.”

“(Kromer) doesn’t sugarcoat anything,” Dawkins said. “He’ll tell him exactly what he doesn’t want to hear. He’ll say, ‘This is ***** horrible,’ or, ‘You think that you’re doing it right, but you’re not. Cody’s heard that before, but now it’s from a different face. So now it’s not, ‘Oh, that’s Bobby being Bobby.’ Now you have two people saying it, so now you’re the one that’s wrong and not them.”

“I’m proud of him,” Dawkins said. “It’s easy when things are going wrong in this league to shut it down and go into a dark place. He’s not there. He’s working.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If that is the case, I am happy they moved on from him, even if he was improving as a player.  It sends a message that if you negatively impact team chemistry, you will be gone.  

Did anyone see the hands to the face penalty? Didn't that take us out of FG range? If you look at that close up, you can see that here was no need for it because the pressure wasn't that threatening and it looked like he just went straight for that move instead of any traditional blocking technique. I personally thought that should have been the last straw.

They played the replay and you could just see it in his face, he just doesn't seem to be mentally invested in his game....or just not mentally capable.

Now go look at the play where Edmunds got juked and ending up plastering Milano. I rest my case.

Edited by nosejob

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

“Cody is a fighter,” Dawkins said. “Last year, he was upset he wasn’t playing. This year, he’s taking it as a reality check and is handling it the right way."

“What we want to see is him respecting the challenge and not complaining about it. As long as he’s not pouting and keeping high spirits, as long as he puts his best work on film, he understands what needs to be done.”

“(Kromer) doesn’t sugarcoat anything,” Dawkins said. “He’ll tell him exactly what he doesn’t want to hear. He’ll say, ‘This is ***** horrible,’ or, ‘You think that you’re doing it right, but you’re not. Cody’s heard that before, but now it’s from a different face. So now it’s not, ‘Oh, that’s Bobby being Bobby.’ Now you have two people saying it, so now you’re the one that’s wrong and not them.”

“I’m proud of him,” Dawkins said. “It’s easy when things are going wrong in this league to shut it down and go into a dark place. He’s not there. He’s working.”

Wow. Sounds like Bobby Johnson didn’t command/earn much respect for whatever reason 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So now the question becomes Ford was looked at as being that back up insurance guy at guard who is now the back up insurance guy

Speculate that it's Van Rotten at least until we see what happens to Ike.

Another option is Brown takes over RT and Quessenberry moves over to G.

Then again, the roster isn't set yet and maybe someone new comes in.

Thank you! I had heard about the interview in ways that made it sound much worse than that. I have no problem with calling it what it is, and being proud of how he handled it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow. Sounds like Bobby Johnson didn’t command/earn much respect for whatever reason 

Ford went out of his way to publicly promote Kromer. That was a good sign all around. Kromer is effective, and Ford heard the message. Good for BOTH of them! And for the Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Respectfully, YOU’RE not looking at this the right way.  Beane has not yet gotten on-field contributions from any of his second round picks as a GM.  Zero.  That hopefully will change this year (though the idea being floated around here that they’re hiding Cook in the preseason is hilarious), but so far we’ve got the Outgoing Cody Ford, Epanesa in his make-or-break season, another backup edge in Basham, and a part-time running back who they drafted because they got spurned at the altar by McKissic, a dime-a-dozen RFA RB.  Beane needs to stop throwing second round picks in the trash and he needs to stop giving stupid contracts and raises to guys like Star before we can declare him an “amazing wizard God-man.”

Based on the reaction your post got, I'd say you need to take a look in the mirror bud.

It's ridiculous to take any GM and say "he stinks at making picks in the ____ round" .... take a look at the body of work. He got Gabe Davis and Taron Johnson in the 4th. Does that mean he's exclusively good at drafting in the 4th? He got Josh Allen and Ed Oliver in the 1st. Does that mean he's good at the 1st round but not the 2nd?

How can you complain so much about the guy that turned our team from a 20 year drought to perennial playoff contender and Super Bowl favorite? Cheer up.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Ford went out of his way to publicly promote Kromer. That was a good sign all around. Kromer is effective, and Ford heard the message. Good for BOTH of them! And for the Bills!!!

Here is another quote that speaks to your thoughts:

Ford admitted the attitude adjustment was necessary and overdue. He and Dawkins cited new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer has been a significant factor. Asked about the difference between Kromer and previous assistant Bobby Johnson, Ford responded with eight seconds of silence. The corners of his lips curled upward as he mulled his reply.

“He’s doing a phenomenal job,” Ford said of Kromer. “I don’t know what that means, coming from me. But the way we’ve been coached and the techniques that we’ve learned is why I say there’s been so much improvement.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is pure undiluted horseshit.

Ford was drafted in 2019 with the hope he'd play RT - which, in fact, is the position he played during OTAs, training camp, and preseason

Wyatt Teller played 8 games at LG for the Bills in 2018, after "Teflon Juan" Castillo was finally persuaded to move on from Vlad Ducasse. 

So Ford and Wyatt weren't even competing for the same position on the OL in the 2019 off-season.

There are a couple of candidate players who likely influenced Beane to trade Teller:

1) Ryan Bates, who we traded a LB to the Eagles to acquire in early August [possible]

2) Spencer Long, who we signed as a back-up C in Feb 2019

3) Jon Feliciano, who came from the Raiders along with Bobby Johnson - he became our backup C, but had not played C in an NFL game prior to 2019

4) Quinton Spain, who was starting ahead of Teller at LG

No.....RT was not "in fact" "the position Ford played during OTA's, training camp, and preseason"

Ford got shifted to guard in preseason.   That is the fact.

Ford wasn't doing well at RT.   Nsekhe at RT and Ford at RG looked like it was going to be the starting combo...........don't try to horsesh!t your fellow posters........the games are still available on NFL+.

With Ford at G........they suddenly had a logjam and someone had to go.

It was Teller or Boettger...........and Boettger had worked hard to cross train at every position on the OL(whether he was any good at them or not)..........so he was kept and Teller was dealt.

So yes.......Cody Ford failing to seize the RT job is why Teller was traded. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is another quote that speaks to your thoughts:

Ford admitted the attitude adjustment was necessary and overdue. He and Dawkins cited new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer has been a significant factor. Asked about the difference between Kromer and previous assistant Bobby Johnson, Ford responded with eight seconds of silence. The corners of his lips curled upward as he mulled his reply.

“He’s doing a phenomenal job,” Ford said of Kromer. “I don’t know what that means, coming from me. But the way we’ve been coached and the techniques that we’ve learned is why I say there’s been so much improvement.”

Some will take this as an opportunity to condemn McD for having Johnson on the staff. “That’s all his fault! That’s on him! He’s the reason we couldn’t run the ball!” 

I like people who take every situation and try to make it better. It seems we have done that here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In part, yes.

I wasn't guessing or pontificating. I was outright teaching

Settle down, "Einstein"....

It's far more likely they send someone to practices open the public.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

What don't you understand?  It was a mistake of a draft pick, and rather than cutting him for nothing Beane managed a 5th round pick out of it.  What would you have him do -- torture himself over the original pick?

Strange question.  But the choice shouldn't only be that or lavishing praise on him for passing on a high impact need position and turning it into a 5th round pick 3 (really ) 4 years later. 

It's simply a "better than nothing" out, not an FO "at its best".

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Respectfully, YOU’RE not looking at this the right way.  Beane has not yet gotten on-field contributions from any of his second round picks as a GM.  Zero.  That hopefully will change this year (though the idea being floated around here that they’re hiding Cook in the preseason is hilarious), but so far we’ve got the Outgoing Cody Ford, Epanesa in his make-or-break season, another backup edge in Basham, and a part-time running back who they drafted because they got spurned at the altar by McKissic, a dime-a-dozen RFA RB.  Beane needs to stop throwing second round picks in the trash and he needs to stop giving stupid contracts and raises to guys like Star before we can declare him an “amazing wizard God-man.”

Getting a 5th for the mess that is Cody Ford is a win.............but man, the paltry production from second round picks by Beane is a thing.

It's been a thing with some other Bills GM's too............and I actually think there is an explanation for it.  

IMO, there is probably something of a letting down of the guard after spending months focused on that first round pick..........and a bit of "we're playing with house money" in round 2 undertone.     I've seen it with people at big auctions.........their focus is to buy the property..........and then after they get the property they get a bit euphoric and make a bunch of bad decisions regarding the next round of assets and it takes them a while to regain their bearings.    It's often a good time to steal something that the primary bidder shouldn't have let get away.

The way Beane treats the second round is very, very needily.    And that approach is not the best way to get the BPA.    People can talk about how moving around the board with trades makes it all work out just like BPA...........but if you know you are willing to use round 2 of the draft to fill immediate needs I believe that impacts how you stack your board in the first place.   It becomes corrupted by need.

I think when the pressure to find someone who can start immediately comes off.........you start seeing more sound decisions and good value.........even if they aren't all HR's.   I've liked Beane's work in round 1 more than any Bills GM ever.........but round 2 has been a dead zone production-wise for Beane so far.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.