Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

No GM hits on every pick, especially in the 1st/2nd/3rd rounds. But it's hard to call someone a genius just because he flipped a bust for a 5th rounder.

Not really looking to turn this thread into a a debate about Beane but I really don't see him as the messiah some think he is.  This team wins a SB that's a different story but until then it's fair to criticize some of the more questionable draft picks he's made.

We're you the one outed as a Miami fan the last few days? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

I think flipping a bust for a 5th is good solid GMing. If Gettlemen could do the same he be employed today.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Strange question.  But the choice shouldn't only be that or lavishing praise on him for passing on a high impact need position and turning it into a 5th round pick 3 (really ) 4 years later. 

It's simply a "better than nothing" out, not an FO "at its best".

It's not strange at all...you want to eviscerate Beane for a bad pick three years ago, and my question is "what is he supposed to do?"  He turned chicken s-h-i-t just a couple of months ago into a 5th round draft pick -- something NOBODY on this board would have thought possible.

If that's not acknowledging your mistake and turning it into a positive moving forward I don't know what is.

What point are YOU trying to prove, other than to be a contrarian?

22 minutes ago, eball said:

What don't you understand?  It was a mistake of a draft pick, and rather than cutting him for nothing Beane managed a 5th round pick out of it.  What would you have him do -- torture himself over the original pick?

Mr. WEO will only be happy when the Bills admit their perpetual inferiority to the Pats, fold the franchise, let Kraft select the new owner, and have that owner build a new stadium surrounded by massage parlors who employ women who “aren’t slaves”.  If this whole Cody Ford thing is a means to that end, then by all means.

• Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes.  He failed when he picked him.  We all know this.  It’s been discussed for the last 3 season.  He sucks.  And Beane was able to trade a crappy player for a 5th round pick.  

We’ve crushed him for the pick already.  Now we should applaud the fact that he got a 5th rd pick for crap rather than continue to cry about the past.  Never accomplished anything but making people look stupid

Nothing to applaud. 

• Disagree 1

The truly bad misses are the ones that flame out right away and you get no value for your draft pick. Somebody who never sees the field and is cut within a year or two.

i’ve noticed with Beane that even when he misses and even if the pick were valuable picks, we end up getting playing time out of those players for a significant period of time. Cody Ford is a good example of this. He has enough on tape and he’s had enough opportunity and we’ve got some value back for his play over the years at the rookie pay scale. And then finally is able to trade for a somewhat valuable pick. If you’re gonna miss in the draft this isn’t the worst thing that can happen.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Getting a 5th rd pick for a bum is worthy of applause for the the majority of this thread 

We’ll see if he’s a bum. He put some good film out there this offseason. That’s why they were able to trade him. There were probably multiple teams involved. Ford was a highly rated prospect by many. 

19 minutes ago, eball said:

It's not strange at all...you want to eviscerate Beane for a bad pick three years ago, and my question is "what is he supposed to do?"  He turned chicken s-h-i-t just a couple of months ago into a 5th round draft pick -- something NOBODY on this board would have thought possible.

If that's not acknowledging your mistake and turning it into a positive moving forward I don't know what is.

What point are YOU trying to prove, other than to be a contrarian?

I don't think nobody thought a 5th was possible. It was at the higher end of what was possible but there were lots of us who thought it likely he'd be moved for a day 3 pick. I'd probably have said a 6th or a 7th tbh. Maybe a conditonal 5th of he met performance escalators. 

I do think it is about the best they could have done to rescue this situation, but it was always a possible scenario.

I like the trade.  Not a big deal, one way or the other, but Beane has shown that he puts those day three picks to good use, both as trade ammunition and with guys he's selected.  

Beane and McD have been clear that the ultimate decision on personnel matters is Beane's.  So, this doesn't necessarily mean that McDermott was done with Ford - it may just mean that Beane, in consultation with McD, didn't see a great future for Ford and Ford was the guy he could get something for in a trade. 

All of this evaluation of Beane based on one move, such as drafting Ford or trading Teller, is just foolish.  It is, as some have said, about the totality of his player personnel decisions.   It's exactly the same as investment management.  People who manage investments, at the $5 million level or above (including WAY above), buy and sell stocks regularly, and they always have some losers among their solutions.  Always.   Their success is measured exclusively on the value of the entire portfolio and never on the basis of one choice. 

Measured by his entire "portfolio," Beane is unquestionably a success.   How do we know?   Because folks in the media have been saying for months that the Bills may have the best roster in the league, for one.   Because of various surveys that someone posted earlier, for another.  Because a few days ago the discussion began here about which guys on this roster Beane can trade, for another.  Because, despite the fact that were a play away from the AFC championship game last season, and despite the fact that Beane had acquired several quality starters or depth in free agency (Miller, Lawson, Jones, Settle, Philips, Quessenberry, Saffold, Duke Johnson, Crowder), he still drafted at least six guys who will legitimately make the roster.   That's spectacular.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t mind being in the minority.  I’m responding to the folks proclaiming Beane a “wizard” for getting a 5th rounder for Ford.  If you think that’s the “very big majority” consensus, that’s great for you.

Beane did great to recoup a 5th round pick for a bust with evidently a not so good attitude, your view of this is narrow and flawed, in which you appear to pretend this is an outlier among GMs, which it isn’t, GMs draft high round busts every season, most of the time these types of players are cut with no compensation. So you can beat that drum all you want…,  Nuthin but luv coach, 

Go Bills!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.