Gabriel Davis getting ready for training camp in Orlando at UCF with Isaiah Hodgins and.......Sammy Watkins?!?!

Special K

8 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I don't think the regime that drafted Watkins placed as much emphasis on attitude, football intelligence etc. as McBeane does.  They looked for physical talent that Watkins has in abundance.  I don't wish ill for Watkins now.  Hopefully, he has gained some in the mental aspect of the game and can salvage what's left of his career.  With Aaron Rodgers as his QB in Green Bay, he has a chance to do some good things this year.  At 29, he could have some good years left in him. 

I til this thread I did not know Sammy was in GB, but at this point either Aaron gets his best and he goes 100 catches and 1200 yards this year or I doubt anyone gives anything resembling every down reciever money again.

What you should be scared of is Davis’ 200 yard game being like Sammy’s on vs the Chiefs when he was here.  A one time fluke that he can never repeat.  Watkins certainly has/had more talent and could absolutely destroy D’s when he tried, Davis is basically the guy who was able to step up in one game thus far.  He’s had some big catches, but he’s got a BIG jump to take from a #3 maybe 4 to a real number 2 in this league.  Allen will help, but it’s no given the guy is going to make that leap.  I know people hate me saying it, but this team is thin as far as proven weapons go. Right now, a guy who could only get a 1 year, 4M dollar deal is your most proven guy after Diggs, nobody else has ever done jack for the span of a season.   For everyone that says Davis “came on strong” at the end of the year, realize the guy basically duplicated his rookie year, nothing more.   I think he can step up, but will he? That’s a different thing. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

All I know is Davis has been training like a horse this off-season, literally it's the only thing he posts on IG, like every few hours it's him running routes, catching balls, or lifting weights. You can't fake that, I bet he doubles his receiving yards and TD's this year. He's underrated after the catch too. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The fact that good teams keep bringing him in speaks to his talent. 

🍺

But those same teams don't keep him around for more than a season or two. Which tells us what we need to know about his production but also raises the question about why the next team hires him

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gabe and Sammy are both big conspiracy theorists.........Sammy thinks dinosaurs didn't exist and Gabe thinks they did but vaccines killed them.

Just let him know it was the 65 million years of social distancing that worked.  🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Counter point. If EJ was Allen instead, would that trade be so bad without the ability of hindsight? Sammy was one of the best college receiver prospects. He was thought to be can’t miss. The fact that good teams keep bringing him in speaks to his talent. Complete weirdo and made out of glass. 

also, hope you’ve been well Bill. 🍺

Your question is valid. Historically, the Bills neglect the OL (especially in the draft) no matter who is the QB, and I am including trading up for a corner in 22. If Allen was the QB I would not have approved of the trade (trading up was too costly) but I would not have been as angry as I was when they drafted Sammy with EJ at the helm. 

I'm good thanks and hope that you and yours are all doing well! :) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Just let him know it was the 65 million years of social distancing that worked.  🤣

Gabe has always had a good plan to practice........even the retired Brandon Marshall was blown away by how advanced the training that Davis was involved in during the work he did with Davis pre-draft.........so the fact that a veteran like Watkins would be interested in some of that is no more damning of him than it was Marshall.

And the notion that Sammy was lazy is incorrect.   He was handed the keys to the Bills WR room as a rookie.   He was immature and spoiled and got carried away with that autonomy.   

It's important to remember though..........for as polished as Gabe Davis has been..........last season was the first time in his career that Watkins averaged less receiving yards per game in a season than Davis has the past two years.    Davis is an offseason training All Pro but on the field he's been inconsistent and hasn't seized his opportunities in the regular season.    He's certainly had his flashes but he's ultimately still averaged just  36 yards per game in his career.   No excuses this year.

If he fails to turn that reputation into production........many of the same people who can't stand my objective viewpoint on his play will be calling him out for his inability to transfer his training to the field week-in and week-out.    Then they will point to his foibles.........like spending 10 hours a day playing video games in the dark.........and yes, his social choices, like being one of a small handful of players who put the Bills 2021 season in jeopardy by refusing to be vaxed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gabe has always had a good plan to practice........even the retired Brandon Marshall was blown away by how advanced the training that Davis was involved in during the work he did with Davis pre-draft.........so the fact that a veteran like Watkins would be interested in some of that is no more damning of him than it was Marshall.

And the notion that Sammy was lazy is incorrect.   He was handed the keys to the Bills WR room as a rookie.   He was immature and spoiled and got carried away with that autonomy.   

It's important to remember though..........for as polished as Gabe Davis has been..........last season was the first time in his career that Watkins averaged less receiving yards per game in a season than Davis has the past two years.    Davis is an offseason training All Pro but on the field he's been inconsistent and hasn't seized his opportunities in the regular season.    He's certainly had his flashes but he's ultimately still averaged just  36 yards per game in his career.   No excuses this year.

If he fails to turn that reputation into production........many of the same people who can't stand my objective viewpoint on his play will be calling him out for his inability to transfer his training to the field week-in and week-out.    Then they will point to his foibles.........like spending 10 hours a day playing video games in the dark.........and yes, his social choices, like being one of a small handful of players who put the Bills 2021 season in jeopardy by refusing to be vaxed. 

That Davis hasn't been wildly productive, fair enough.

That he hasn't seized his opportunities? Not really. He got less opportunities. Much fewer opportunities last year than he himself had the year before (73% of snaps in 2020, which fell to 51%).

And many fewer last year than Watkins has had for most of his career.

Davis' yards per snap last year as compared to Watkins'? In Sammy's eight years in the league, he's only had three years where he managed more yards per snap than Davis got last year. None of those three years happened more recently than 2018.

Compared to Watkins' career yards per target, Davis has been better in both 2020 and 2021.

There's every reason to believe Davis'll see a ton more snaps this year than he has, and likely a lot more targets as well.

You seem to think you're saying something interesting when you point out that he needs to be more productive this year. You're not. He's a guy going from his second to his third year expecting a larger role. Pretty much everyone at that juncture needs to be more productive. To your whole thesis here, the best answer would appear to be, "Duh, everyone already knows this." Of course he's still got a lot to prove. Same with most players that young picked where he was.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That Davis hasn't been wildly productive, fair enough.

That he hasn't seized his opportunities? Not really. He got less opportunities. Much fewer opportunities last year than he himself had the year before (73% of snaps in 2020, which fell to 51%).

And many fewer last year than Watkins has had for most of his career.

Davis' yards per snap last year as compared to Watkins'? In Sammy's eight years in the league, he's only had three years where he managed more yards per snap than Davis got last year. None of those three years happened more recently than 2018.

Compared to Watkins' career yards per target, Davis has been better in both 2020 and 2021.

There's every reason to believe Davis'll see a ton more snaps this year than he has, and likely a lot more targets as well.

You seem to think you're saying something interesting when you point out that he needs to be more productive this year. You're not. He's a guy going from his second to his third year expecting a larger role. Pretty much everyone at that juncture needs to be more productive. To your whole thesis here, the best answer would appear to be, "Duh, everyone already knows this." Of course he's still got a lot to prove. Same with most players that young picked where he was.

Great response.  And by the way, why are we even comparing Mr. Can't Miss 1st Round Pick to a WR drafted in the 4th round?

Gabe Davis is on a great trajectory and there is really nothing that suggests he will not be productive with the expected increase in snaps and targets.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dude is grindin. Love it. Thats nice clean work for a long limbed 210lb athlete. So excited to watch his come up this year.

Sidenote: As a fitness professional that happens to be the head strength and conditioning coach for a high profile  local high school football program, as well as working with multiple college athletes, i find the internet Bro's in his comments amusing. The dude specifically explains what he's doing at the end of the clip and the twitter bro's still cant help themselves.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Dude is grindin. Love it. Thats nice clean work for a long limbed 210lb athlete. So excited to watch his come up this year.

Sidenote: As a fitness professional that happens to be the head strength and conditioning coach for a high profile  local high school football program, as well as working with multiple college athletes, i find the internet Bro's in his comments amusing. The dude specifically explains what he's doing at the end of the clip and the twitter bro's still cant help themselves.

Got to put your disclaimers at the beginning, a 26 second video is way too long to expect them to watch all the way to the end. 🤦‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.