Spencer Brown at Buffalo Airport on Plane when Lady Launched an Emergency Slide

RoyBatty is alive

3 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Yea I'm the unfortunate one that has to reinspect and pack those not an easy process. If the slide is beyond repair she will be getting a hefty bill I guarantee you that.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

The rest of your post is correct, but tis is not.

Closing a door does not arm the slide.

The slide must be armed (and disarmed on arrival), intentionally.

Your comments on the calls that flight attendants make are true, but the slides are not armed until they do that.

There are many times that the doors are closed and the doors not armed, ie if the bridge is still hooked up and there is a delay.

Just here to say thanks. This is the way the old internet worked. You'd ask a question, or comment on a news event, and someone who actually knows something about the topic would jump in and clarify it for everyone. I miss that old internet.

Nicely done, ALLEN1QB and sherpa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

A very big and very expensive process.

Usually they get removed and replaced with a fresh slide pack.  They are not cheap!  Also consider the down time of the plane, while the process is completed. 

Nut case, or not, she owes American a lot of $$$, not to forget the inconvenience of all the other passengers.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

The rest of your post is correct, but tis is not.

Closing a door does not arm the slide.

The slide must be armed (and disarmed on arrival), intentionally.

Your comments on the calls that flight attendants make are true, but the slides are not armed until they do that.

There are many times that the doors are closed and the doors not armed, ie if the bridge is still hooked up and there is a delay.

We had the FAs make the calls after push during taxi. Guaranteed they were armed at the at point. Generally they would arm after push.

2 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

We had the FAs make the calls after push during taxi. Guaranteed they were armed at the at point. Generally they would arm after push.

That is the way it is done by all companies.

The regulation states that they must be armed at that point, so they are armed either prior to the push back or during.

11 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

What the hell is wrong with all these people on planes? Hope she enjoys trains because she’ll be Amtraking it for quite a while if she’s gotta get somewhere.

Clearly cuckoo for Cocoa  Puffs

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Actually, Andale.

Thank you i failed spelling & spanish 😂

13 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Certain politicians are fighting against the establishment of a universal no-fly list for misbehavior on board aircraft. As such, each airline has to do it individually. This lady will be banned from that airline but will still be free to fly any other.

One would think that the information should at the very least be shared & then the other airlines can make a decision from there rather than taking a chance & not knowing anything of that persons history I know i don't want to be on a plane with some crazy person that liable to go off any minute unless they are heavily sedated & in a jacket !! 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, T master said:

One would think that the information should at the very least be shared & then the other airlines can make a decision from there rather than taking a chance & not knowing anything of that persons history.

They can certainly do that now, and decide for themselves.

The issue with the now defunct proposal was that the gov would manage the list.

Given the significant screw ups with the no fly list instituted after 9/11, which they put together and included some airline employees and politicians, there is little appetite to give them another bite at the apple.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

They can certainly do that now, and decide for themselves.

The issue with the now defunct proposal was that the gov would manage the list.

Given the significant screw ups with the no fly list instituted after 9/11, which they put together and included some airline employees and politicians, there is little appetite to give them another bite at the apple.

Now wait your trying to tell me that something our gov't did they screwed it up 🤔 -------------------- Come on man are you sure ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

I remember seeing articles where little 7 year old Johny had the same name as a 55 year old man on the list, so they would deny boarding.  

EDIT: found one article...

4-year-old turns up on government ‘no-fly’ list (nbcnews.com)

• Haha (+1) 1

Use to travel a bit for work.  Thats ended with companies realizing zoom is efficent and costs less. 

That said, if I can help it I will never board another airplane for the remainder of my life for reasons exactly like this one.  There is no distance I want to go that is too far for me to drive.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1

The inflatable slide, or should I say slide system, that most airlines use are grouped for deployment as three separate units per door, and upon one's inflation and use it can be easily and seamlessly released from the side of the plane and disposed of for the next slide in the chamber to be used when and if necessary. *

However, recent studies at Cal-Tech resulted in a general safety concern associated with the materials used in making the slides.  The dense elastic polymer used, because of its durability, unfortunately has shown to be extremely flammable at extremely high temperatures, but only in its reduced/no-inflated state.  Since it is not at a real risk of ignition when inflated due to the complex make up of its fibers it is the main reason why the FAA-AA has turned a slightly blind eye to those studies. **

(* Absolutely nothing that I wrote is true.  I am making it up out of whole cloth giving no more thought to it than the time it takes to type it.)

(** I told you moments ago that I was lying about everything that I was stating.  Why in the world did you keep reading?  WTH, did you think, "Oh, OK, NOW he's going to tell us the truth."?  There is no one on this Board that knows less about this stuff than me...except maybe the guy who bet $5,000 on the Vikings to win back in 2018.)

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The inflatable slide, or should I say slide system, that most airlines use are grouped for deployment as three separate units per door, and upon one's inflation and use it can be easily and seamlessly released from the side of the plane and disposed of for the next slide in the chamber to be used when and if necessary. *

However, recent studies at Cal-Tech resulted in a general safety concern associated with the materials used in making the slides.  The dense elastic polymer used, because if its durability, unfortunately has shown to be extremely flammable at extremely high temperatures, but only in its reduced/no-inflated state.  Since it is not at a real risk of ignition when inflated due to the complex make up of its fibers it is the main reason why the FAA-AA has turned a slightly blind eye to those studies. **

(* Absolutely nothing that I wrote is true.  I am making it up out of whole cloth giving no more thought to it than the time it takes to type it.)

(** I told you moments ago that I was lying about everything that I was stating.  Why in the world did you keep reading?  WTH, did you think, "Oh, OK, NOW he's going to tell us the truth."?  There is no one on this Board that knows less about this stuff than me...except maybe the guy who bet $5,000 on the Vikings to win back in 2018)

Hmmm - seems legit. I think I'll share it on social media.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

What the hell is wrong with all these people on planes? Hope she enjoys trains because she’ll be Amtraking it for quite a while if she’s gotta get somewhere.

It really depends on what the facts are.  What set her off and is she acting like a Karen or was it something else.  I can speculate a few scenarios which would make her action understandable and excusable.  Without any facts can't tell if she was in the wrong or the wronged party.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

It really depends on what the facts are.  What set her off and is she acting like a Karen or was it something else.  I can speculate a few scenarios which would make her action understandable and excusable.  Without any facts can't tell if she was in the wrong or the wronged party.

I cannot imagine any scenario other than life threatening that would justify blowing a slide on an airplane, then running around on the ramp.

Not excusable in any reasonable judgement.

She is about to find out how unreasonable and expensive her actions were.

American Eagle, (not American Airlines by the way), will seek some kind of financial settlement which she will no doubt not pay.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

wronged? Absent someone else on the plane attempting to kill her, there’s no excuse for endangering the other occupants of that plane like that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, T master said:

Thank you i failed spelling & spanish 😂

One would think that the information should at the very least be shared & then the other airlines can make a decision from there rather than taking a chance & not knowing anything of that persons history I know i don't want to be on a plane with some crazy person that liable to go off any minute unless they are heavily sedated & in a jacket !! 

Seems like you might have passed phonetics though.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

wronged? Absent someone else on the plane attempting to kill her, there’s no excuse for endangering the other occupants of that plane like that.

Maybe she thought Mike Tyson was out to get her. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

However, recent studies at Cal-Tech resulted in a general safety concern associated with the materials used in making the slides.  The dense elastic polymer used, because of its durability, unfortunately has shown to be extremely flammable at extremely high temperatures, but only in its reduced/no-inflated state.  Since it is not at a real risk of ignition when inflated due to the complex make up of its fibers it is the main reason why the FAA-AA has turned a slightly blind eye to those studies. **

(** I told you moments ago that I was lying about everything that I was stating.  Why in the world did you keep reading?  WTH, did you think, "Oh, OK, NOW he's going to tell us the truth."?  There is no one on this Board that knows less about this stuff than me...except maybe the guy who bet $5,000 on the Vikings to win back in 2018.)

"It's not a lie...if YOU believe itl"

image.thumb.jpeg.cff43acb036c635a756dadf57cabae7f.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.