Do you remember what you did during recess at school?

Another Fan

Its stuff thats becoming even more and more a distant memory for me but I've been thinking about it a bit recently.

Kickball and touch football were big where I went too school.  Except in like 6th grade when the football rolled out into the highway so that got shut down after that.  

More toward the end of middle school it was just kids BS ing and physical activity stopped.  Now that I type this I remember this fight this kid Vinny was going on all morning about it but landed one shove to the chest and that was the end of it.

High school physical activity more or less stopped.  my best friend and I used to walk around the school though and call it BS laps.  Pretty much doing just that 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

We didn't have Recess in middle school or high school.  Our gym class would occasionally have us outside playing touch football or wiffle ball and stuff like that on good weather days.

Now elementary school recess?  Man you just unlocked some memories I haven't thought about it in a very long time!  Those days were legendary....football games that would break out into full tackle games sometimes, Dodgeball games, Tag, and I'm sure all sorts of games were made up back then too.  You know just kids being kids.  I remember at the end of the school year they even let us have a Super Soaker war at the end of the day on the playground.  Yeah where can I sign up to go back and relive those days?

• Like (+1) 2

• Another Fan changed the title to Do you remember what you did during recess at school?
9 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

We didn't have Recess in middle school or high school.  Our gym class would occasionally have us outside playing touch football or wiffle ball and stuff like that on good weather days.

Now elementary school recess?  Man you just unlocked some memories I haven't thought about it in a very long time!  Those days were legendary....football games that would break out into full tackle games sometimes, Dodgeball games, Tag, and I'm sure all sorts of games were made up back then too.  You know just kids being kids.  I remember at the end of the school year they even let us have a Super Soaker war at the end of the day on the playground.  Yeah where can I sign up to go back and relive those days?

I dont recall super soaker wars!  But yeah now that you say that the last day of the school year in elementary school was devoted fully to some sort of activity like kickball outside.  Followed by ice cream afterwards and that was it for the school year.

Its probably still in my mind what I expect life to be in terms of happiness!  

what is the game where a ball is attached to a long chain/cord thing and you punch at it....tetherball I think that's it.  The winning result was fully wrapping the cord around the pole until the ball touched the pole at the top

your opponent tried to prevent you by hitting in opposite direction. I was tall and I think that gave me a bit of advantage. . That was our recess go to.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I dont recall super soaker wars!  But yeah now that you say that the last day of the school year in elementary school was devoted fully to some sort of activity like kickball outside.  Followed by ice cream afterwards and that was it for the school year.

It wasn't a regular thing, just something they set up for us my last year in Elementary School!  From the perspective of a kid it was definitely awesome!

We always had a "Field Day" type thing on the last day of school during Elementary years.  They would divide all the kids into different teams and have all types of events...I remember tug of war but don't really remember what the rest of them were.  I wonder if they still have it nowadays 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Super Soakers hadn't been invented in my day, we did water balloon wars!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Its stuff thats becoming even more and more a distant memory for me but I've been thinking about it a bit recently.

Kickball and touch football were big where I went too school.  Except in like 6th grade when the football rolled out into the highway so that got shut down after that.  

More toward the end of middle school it was just kids BS ing and physical activity stopped.  Now that I type this I remember this fight this kid Vinny was going on all morning about it but landed one shove to the chest and that was the end of it.

High school physical activity more or less stopped.  my best friend and I used to walk around the school though and call it BS laps.  Pretty much doing just that 

I was just talking to my elementary school aged kids about this the other day.  Recess is a huge part of their day, but I feel like we barely had recess as a kid.

Maybe I just can’t remember it— but I have very few memories of recess in elementary  school. Then, beyond that, I don’t remember anything. I think in high school, during lunch, i would play bball in the gym or kick the hackey sack. 

• Like (+1) 1

We had no recess.   No swings, jungle gyms.  However, there were "field days and Junior Olympics" for  nice weather days.

There were soccer contests pitting one class against another.

My kids think we played "Chase the dinosaur." given our advanced age.

• Like (+1) 1

We had "recess" through 4th grade.  Regular playground activities.

Beginning with grade 5, through 8th grade, it was "PLR," or "Post Lunch Relaxation."  PLR took place just outside the school in the back parking lot.  Most kids just shot the breeze.  Some kids threw a football around, but that was about it as far as any kind of physical activity.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We never had recess in Upstate New York... But children have it here in Ill-Annoy...

Must be a downstate thing! 😆 

You lived in Buffalo; not upstate NY.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We never had recess in Upstate New York... But children have it here in Ill-Annoy...

Must be a downstate thing! 😆 

We had recess in Rochester, up until 6th grade.  Then after that, lunch/free period where you could do stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

We had recess in Rochester, up until 6th grade.  Then after that, lunch/free period where you could do stuff.

This is my memory too.  once 6th happened, no more hang around time.  I started again in high school in the form of gym class.  the first couple of years were structured, and the last couple they just let you do what you wanted, as long as you were accounted for.  hackey sack, floor hockey, tennis, football, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, teef said:

This is my memory too.  once 6th happened, no more hang around time.  I started again in high school in the form of gym class.  the first couple of years were structured, and the last couple they just let you do what you wanted, as long as you were accounted for.  hackey sack, floor hockey, tennis, football, etc.

I bet you drove a lowered, powder Honda Civic with frost tint and blasted a mixed tape with JaRule, Nickelback and Limp Bizkit.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I bet you drove a lowered, powder Honda Civic with frost tint and blasted a mixed tape with JaRule, Nickelback and Limp Bizkit.

oh no.  i always had the hand me down car.  the first was a buick station wagon with the wood panel siding.  the second are was a chrysler new yorker, with a 4 cylinder turbo.  oddly plush interior and the car would talk to you.  

concerning the music, i think that was more late 90s?  i graduated in 95.  we were more the ace of base generation.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, teef said:

oh no.  i always had the hand me down car.  the first was a buick station wagon with the wood panel siding.  the second are was a chrysler new yorker, with a 4 cylinder turbo.  oddly plush interior and the car would talk to you.  

concerning the music, i think that was more late 90s?  i graduated in 95.  we were more the ace of base generation.

I graduated 2000.  Just because you were 4 years older doesn't mean you didn't rock out with your #### out with some 311.

Went to Catholic school in Rochester and a big recess favorite was "King of the Hill" where one kid, or a group of kids, would shove people down the snow pile as they approached the top...being Western NY, this was a common November to March phenonium.

Also big was outdoor basketball, touch football and the occasional fight, which was most often quickly broken up by the gym teacher/recess monitor.

Springtime brought out the occasional water guns, but these hydro-powered weapons were very much frowned upon by the nuns in charge, if you were caught with one, it was a 25 cent fine...the same monetary penalty also applied to gum chewing, yo-yos, and playing with "clackers," the annoying balls on a string that when struck, emitted a clacking sound, hence the name.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I graduated 2000.  Just because you were 4 years older doesn't mean you didn't rock out with your #### out with some 311.

oh yeah.  311 was part of the mix.  it was also the younger days of phish, blues traveler, etc, so there was a lot of that nonsense going on.  

8 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Went to Catholic school in Rochester and a big recess favorite was "King of the Hill" where one kid, or a group of kids, would shove people down the snow pile as they approached the top...being Western NY, this was a common November to March phenonium.

Also big was outdoor basketball, touch football and the occasional fight, which was most often quickly broken up by the gym teacher/recess monitor.

Springtime brought out the occasional water guns, but these hydro-powered weapons were very much frowned upon by the nuns in charge, if you were caught with one, it was a 25 cent fine...the same monetary penalty also applied to gum chewing, yo-yos, and playing with "clackers," the annoying balls on a string that when struck, emitted a clacking sound, hence the name.

what school did you go to?

8 hours ago, Beerball said:

Catholic grade school. Girls in uniforms, so…

It may be telling that the first thing that came to my mind was the girl in 3rd grade who had no reservations about hanging upside down from the monkey bars while wearing a skirt. I seem to recall that kickball also took place, but I have clear visions of the playground and those money bars!  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, teef said:

So……..the voices came to you early in life. Interesting. 

My mother-in-law had a Chrysler New Yorker. Like a red velvet interior you might expect in a brothel above a saloon in the Wild West. No offense, but that was the biggest piece of trash I’ve ever driven (other than my first car, a Chevette which struggled to go up hills).  I had to adjust the seat to drive it, but in order to reach the controls I had to open the door. Crazy! 

EDIT: Fret not! The draft will be here soon! 

Edited by Augie

In elementary school you would usually find me playing kickball during recess. Pretty sure there was no no recess after that, but in high school you could do what you wanted during lunch period. When I was in 11th or 12th grade me and my marginally athletic friends would play ultimate frisbee against guys from the JV football team.  They were more athletic but the extra year or two we had on them helped and the games were competitive.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

So……..the voices came to you early in life. Interesting. 

My mother-in-law had a Chrysler New Yorker. Like a red velvet interior you might expect in a brothel above a saloon in the Wild West. No offense, but that was the biggest piece of trash I’ve ever driven (other than my first car, a Chevette which struggled to go up hills).  I had to adjust the seat to drive it, but in order to reach the controls I had to open the door. Crazy! 

EDIT: Fret not! The draft will be here soon! 

there is so much truth to this statement.  everyone would comment how plush it was.  very pillow like gray leather seats.  super comfortable, but the car was complete garbage.  i think the 4 cylinder turbo was a nightmare in that model, and there was problem after problem.  i think i had it for a year or two, and that was it.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’m dark brown hair naturally.  I’ve colored it blonde, red and blue….because of Linkin Park.

did you ever carve lines into your hair along the side of your head?

Recess was only in Elementary School, grades K-6.  We had the old school equipment, like the 8 foot tall slide, and monkey bars made out of steel pipe.  

High school, I think it was my senior year, there was two lunch periods, I had first lunch with gym right after.  The morning BOCES students would get back and had second lunch, but since that was the same time as my gym class, a lot of them would just come and join in our class, so we always had enough people for whatever gym class was that day.  Except wrestling, everyone hated wrestling.  Anyways, since we had enough people in gym class, I'd go down to the guidance office with one or two classmates, and we'd just shoot the stuff with one of the counselors.  

Classic-playground-equipment-with-their-modern-version-metal-slide-800x600.jpg

Monkey Bars.jpg

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

“king of the hill” must have been a popular Rochester game. We played it there too all the time. When storms hit, the plows would plow a ton of snow into the middle of neighborhood cul-de-sacs, and that would be the mountain on which we fought for survival. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.