What would you do with the new OT rule? Defer or take the ball?

Cabbage Patch Wisdom - What to do in OT  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take the ball or defer?

• SlimShady'sSpaceForce changed the title to What would you do with the new OT rule? Defer or take the ball?
2 minutes ago, MJS said:

You take the ball. It's not even a debate.

In general I agree with you but what  if it is windy in a certain direction?    I think you take it because you then also take control of the clock.

Actually that brings up a question, lets say team A gets the ball and uses all of the clock except 13 seconds.  The other team gets a possession but do they only have 13 seconds or do they get however long their possession takes?

1 minute ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

In general I agree with you but what  if it is windy in a certain direction?    I think you take it because you then also take control of the clock.

Actually that brings up a question, lets say team A gets the ball and uses all of the clock except 13 seconds.  The other team gets a possession but do they only have 13 seconds or do they get however long their possession takes?

New 15 minutes if 2nd team hasn't finished their 1st posession

Only after both teams have possessions does it become sudden death

Defer….and it’s not even a question.  @GunnerBill explained why.  

those that disagree, why would you want the ball first? 

6 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

If you take the ball,  you still know what you need to win. 1 more score than the other guys

No you don’t.  2 point conversions exist.  Missed xps occur.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, loyal2dagame said:

Put the pressure on the other team first to try to stop or follow up a score

The pressure is on no matter what.  It’s OT in the playoffs…..

I look @ our QB…..and I know he’s going to get what he HAS TO GET.  Knowing what we need to accomplish on O is the advantage.  

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

100% you defer. If you stop them, great - a FG wins it. 

If they score a TD and kick the XP, then you can end the game with a TD and a 2ptr.

If they score a TD and a 2 ptr you can still tie it and take it to sudden death. 

Additionally, and I think even more importantly, if you have the ball second after your opponents have scored, you now have the advantage of playing in four down territory whereas your opponents only had three downs to play with.

That's potentially 25% more plays available to you to move the ball down the field and score. That's a significant advantage, imo.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3

Just now, Simon said:

Additionally, and I think even more importantly, if you have the ball second after your opponents have scored, you now have the advantage of playing in four down territory whereas your opponents only had three downs to play with.

That's potentially 25% more plays available to you to move the ball down the field and score. That's a significant advantage, imo.

Excellent point sir. 

Well, to some degree, it has to depend on the specific situation. I can imagine, for example, your offense finishes regulation with a long TD drive to tie it up, the opposing D is gassed, and the HC figures the best chance is to keep the momentum going, and keep the opposing D on their heels.

But, I would think that in most situations, teams will defer 90% of the time.

Depends upon to me on whether the defense was on the field at the end of the game. If the defense needs a rest then 100% take the ball first. Otherwise defer to game plan and to see what has to be done to stay in the game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Very good point.

With the team being built the way it is right now, I would defer and play an aggressive Defense to try and get the stop. If you can, Allen could go down and win the game, and if they DO score, you let Josh do his thing. My opinion would most likely change as the team evolves, but as it is now, that is my strategy.

Just now, Simon said:

If they don't score,  do you still play 4 down territory? Our do you punt when you're pinned back.

The advantage goes both ways

Game flow game flow game flow. 

If it's been a defensive battle and points are at a premium you defer and best case only need to move within fg range for the win. 

Shootouts like in KC you take first possession and at worst have the 1st crack at Sudden Death. 

If you cant decide, just take the ball first and trust Josh. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The team who possesses first cannot win the game with its possession. 

The team that possesses second can. 

I think that a PAT by the team possessing first and a 2 point conversion by the team possessing second will be the norm when both score TDs.  Better that than allowing a FG to beat you.  During the regular season with a 10 minute OT there usually won’t be time for a fourth possession anyway (if this gets adopted for the regular season).

Edited by BarleyNY

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

100% you defer. If you stop them, great - a FG wins it. 

If they score a TD and kick the XP, then you can end the game with a TD and a 2ptr.

If they score a TD and a 2 ptr you can still tie it and take it to sudden death. 

I'd add that when you get the ball second, if the other team already got a TD you know you have to go for it on 4th down. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Defer….and it’s not even a question.  @GunnerBill explained why.  

those that disagree, why would you want the ball first? 

No you don’t.  2 point conversions exist.  Missed xps occur.  

I'd take ball with Allen and this offense knowing it's likely they score. If other team matches all you need is a FG. 

As for the 2pt conversion, I'm not sure many coaches attempt it in a high stakes playoff situation. Guess it would depend which team it is and the confidence level. In any event I always take ball in OT

• Agree 1

Honestly, it’s gonna depend on the flow of the game.  Defer is gonna be a strong choice because you have more info when you get the ball and what you need to win.  Like do you just need a FG or can you go for two and win it.  

But if our offense is on fire like the KC game, probably take the ball while we are clicking and hot and strike first to out the pressure on the other team.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'd take ball with Allen and this offense knowing it's likely they score. If other team matches all you need is a FG. 

As for the 2pt conversion, I'm not sure many coaches attempt it in a high stakes playoff situation. Guess it would depend which team it is and the confidence level. In any event I always take ball in OT

What do you do, go for 1 or 2?

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, it’s gonna depend on the flow of the game.  Defer is gonna be a strong choice because you have more info when you get the ball and what you need to win.  Like do you just need a FG or can you go for two and win it.  

But if our offense is on fire like the KC game, probably take the ball while we are clicking and hot and strike first to out the pressure on the other team.

Agree. I can see the advantage both ways. Depends on the situation I agree. Definitely the KC game no question you take the ball. That way you pout their D right back on the field with little rest

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think that a PAT by the team possessing first and a 2 point conversion by the team possessing second will be the norm when both score TDs.  Better that than allowing a FG to beat you.  During the regular season with a 10 minute OT there usually won’t be time for a fourth possession anyway. 

Exactly.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.