Looming Stefon Diggs Contract situation - What do you do?

CountDorkula

What to do with Diggs  

232 members have voted

1. 1. IF Diggs wants a Hill type contract what do you do?

• Pay the man his money
    • Trade him for a Hill type return

You kick the can 1 more time.

If you kick it in 2022 and still no Super Bowl/Super Bowl Appearance…

Well…that will make 3 straight seasons with nothing, despite being the favorites, with the Allen/Diggs Connection.

At that point…if the $$$$ is too much…you move on…and look for new/younger/cheaper talent and a re-design of the offense.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think Diggs will try to bend the Bills over for some insane extension. I do think he's proven that he's worth more $$$ than Mike Williams and Christian Kirk though. I think he and the Bills find a respectable middle ground and he gets his contract extended for 3 years most likely. We're about to see the influx of that TV $$$ starting in 2023 as well. Some reports say the cap is going to skyrocket. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

I don't think Diggs will necessarily pull a diva move with the Bills, but the dilemma for Beane is the longer they wait to give him a new deal, the more absurd the money is going to be and the domino effect from the Adams deal and trade to the Raiders is directly responsible for the chiefs opting not to pay Hill and trading him to the Dolphins.

Here's the big question to ponder though, is Diggs worth the same money as Hill and Adams? You can argue either way but personally not sure he is and never thought I would admit this but think his success is more the biproduct of JA17 than vice versa.

If I'm Beane, I call Diggs and say..

"Hey, obviously we both see the WR contracts flying around this off-season.  We value you.  You know our situation, you know where we're at.  Are you cool to play out this season and then we sit down and address your contract next off-season?"

If he says yes.  We play out the season.  Sit down and see where everyone is at moving forward.

If there's hesitation, or it's a no (which we've seen zero indication of), then I think you need to start taking calls about his availability for another team.  

FWIW, I don't think we should expect a Adams/Hill trade package.  It would be a solid haul.. but I don't sense Diggs is viewed the same way those dudes are, nor do I believe he will get paid like they are (by us, or anyone else).   He's elite... but he's not Adams or Hill. 

Edited by SCBills

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, I love Diggs, my dog is named Diggs even.  He’s my second favorite Bills player behind Allen.  

I would love to see him stay here, I really would.  

However, if he is going to want anything close to what Adam’s and Hill got, then I hate to say it, but we may need to trade him at some point.  

He is worthy of similar pay, but it’s also too much money when you have a big QB contract.  Carr has a cap hit of just $25m and Tua is on a rookie deal.  It’s how these teams can afford this kind of contract.  We don’t have that luxury starting next year anymore.  

That being said, I think Diggs legitimately loves being in Buffalo and loves playing with Allen, these coaches, this team.  And he also hates losing.  So it’s possible Diggs will take less money to extend here to stay where he loves being and help the team keep other valuable pieces to continue being a legit SB contender year after year.

But I’m a realist, and that’s a lot of money these guys are getting and wouldn’t fault him for wanting to get paid like that too on what will surely be his last big contract.  

So we will see if Beane and Diggs can work some magic or not.  But not only do I think we should trade him if he wants that kind of money, I’m pretty sure Beane will trade him if that was the case.  

If you have to chose between paying the QB or paying the WR, you pay the QB. ALL DAY LONG! The QB can make a WR far easier than a WR can make a QB. Miami got this backwards. 

• Agree 1

I'm not extending him this off-season. Let next season play out. Maybe Davis shows he truly is a future star. Maybe we take a WR early in the draft that balls out.

Question is, will Diggs play this season without a revised contract/extension, given what he is making compared to other top guys? 

Maybe we just give him a pay jump for next year to keep him happy?

Edited by Process

2 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

So basically do you wanna overpay a WR like the Raiders and Dolphins or know when to move on like the Packers and Chiefs. I think it’s more likely that the Packers and Chiefs are the ones that know what they’re doing.

It’s always easier to make these decisions when you have a top 5 QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

So basically do you wanna overpay a WR like the Raiders and Dolphins or know when to move on like the Packers and Chiefs. I think it’s more likely that the Packers and Chiefs are the ones that know what they’re doing.

Packers were ready to pay that to Adams though.. Adams just wanted to leave at that point.  

Chiefs, while losing 1/3 of what made them all-time special, likely did make the smart move.  They had a price point for Hill.  Didn't exceed it.   Traded him for picks.  Hill is 29 and his game is predicated upon legendary speed/athleticism.   

• Agree 1

So right now he’s due about 13.5M for the next 2 years at cap hits of 17 and 18 M.

You COULD tear up his contract and give him a 4 year deal that would have a 10M base guaranteed for 3 years, a 40M signing bonus and a last year non guaranteed base of 30 M, now he has a 4 year 110M deal, with cap hits of 20M for 3 years, and a dead cap of 10M last year, which could be a post June 1 cut at 5M.  Now he’s paid elite, cap hit is about the same, Josh keeps his boy, and we are out at 32yrs old on a small WR.  He gets 70M guaranteed, just behind Hill.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

Let's not forget how much Allen seems to value Diggs - I could see Allen restructuring as early as next spring for the sole purpose of being able to make room for Diggs' contract. 

I think this is the hope, and for all we know these types of discussions may already have or are currently taking place between Diggs, Allen and Beane.

Beane Will let it play out this season.

If he has a great season, then the man gets paid by someone.  If he’s subpar, he may be had at a lessor price.  

I get teams with cap space are spending like drunken sailors looking to “win now”.  Couple that with the expected jump in the cap over the next few years, and huge contacts will be the norm.  

If we could backload a contract, we’d be able to keep him.  Not something you’d do for a 29 YO receiver.  Unless he takes a hometown discount, he won’t be on the team next year.  No way we can afford him.  One more year and maybe we’d see enough cap jump to sign him.  But would you want to pay top tier WR money for him then?  It probably will be driven up even more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.