Von Millers position with Buffalo

NewEra

What position will Von Miller play?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Will he play DE or LB?

Reading and commenting on (not sure why) a FB post saying that Milano will be cut or moved to Klein’s position while Miller takes Milanos spot.

another gent said that we were going to switch to a 3-3-5 base to fit Millers skill set

had me thinking about how many Bills fans actually feel this will be the case. 

Buffalo plays a 4-2-5 on most downs.

Von’s gotta be part of the front four, rushing from the edge, with Tremaine and Milano behind them. Otherwise wouldn’t there be a huge gap in the middle?

You could call it a 3-3-5 too, with Von playing the Biscuit role. 

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Reading and commenting on (not sure why) a FB post saying that Milano will be cut or moved to Klein’s position while Miller takes Milanos spot.

another gent said that we were going to switch to a 3-3-5 base to fit Millers skill set

had me thinking about how many Bills fans actually feel this will be the case. 

why do you have to label it? Our best front 6 will be the plan situationally and most of the time that will include VM on the edge 

Just now, NoSaint said:

why do you have to label it? Our best front 6 will be the plan situationally and most of the time that will include VM on the edge 

I don’t have to label it.  I’m just asking a question of how people feel. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2017-2019 the Bills had Lorenzo Alexander. Study those defenses. He’ll likely be a hybrid of Alexander and Hughes.

This was my reason for making the thread.  Thinking about how we used Lorax. Could he reprise that role and actually line up as an off ball LB sometimes?  Or will he be like Jerry, lined up on the LOS 99%+. 

I’m sure there will be times where they drop him into coverage, they do it with most of our DL on occasion. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

This was my reason for making the thread.  Thinking about how we used Lorax. Could he reprise that role and actually line up as an off ball LB sometimes?  Or will he be like Jerry, lined up on the LOS 99%+. 

I’m sure there will be times where they drop him into coverage, they do it with most of our DL on occasion. 

I think in run situations it’s entirely possible to see 4 down DL and Von off the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t have to label it.  I’m just asking a question of how people feel. 

….About which label to use. 

it will likely be miller, 2 linebackers and 3 linemen as our base defense when all’s healthy. 

he will mostly rush the passer. 

doesn’t matter much what label you use 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think in run situations it’s entirely possible to see 4 down DL and Von off the ball.

Agreed 

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

….About which label to use. 

it will likely be miller, 2 linebackers and 3 linemen as our base defense when all’s healthy. 

he will mostly rush the passer. 

doesn’t matter much what label you use 

Agreed 

So I’m not allowed to ask peoples opinion?  It’s not like the “label” will have an impact on anything.  It’s just a question that I had.  Am I in the minority thinking that Von Miller be playing on the LOS 95% of the time?  

It’s not a big deal is it?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So I’m not allowed to ask peoples opinion?  It’s not like the “label” will have an impact on anything.  It’s just a question that I had.  Am I in the minority thinking that Von Miller be playing on the LOS 95% of the time?  

It is the off season- just clean this crap up by the regular season😄

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I mean, I was saying globally and not attacking you personally. This is a pretty common discussion as you note seeing it on other social media and I think a lot of people are framing it wrong

I do think in general that in the case of a player like this it’s not a particularly productive. He’s an edge rusher that can play standing up too.

He’s not regularly putting Milano off the field as his LB title would imply and why I think forcing a label on it can actually be counterproductive for defining the role. 

if forced, a DE who will also drop back some times 

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, I was saying globally and not attacking you personally. This is a pretty common discussion as you note seeing it on other social media and I think a lot of people are framing it wrong

I do think in general that in the case of a player like this it’s not a particularly productive. He’s an edge rusher that can play standing up too.

He’s not regularly putting Milano off the field as his LB title would imply and why I think forcing a label on it can actually be counterproductive for defining the role. 

if forced, a DE who will also drop back some times 

Ok.my bad.  

In the interactions I was having, there were people saying that Miller would take Milanos spot and Milano into Klein’s spot.  

while I knew he wouldn’t take Milanos spot, I thought of lorax and how he sometimes played off the ball.  Von is a super freak athlete and could easily do what lorenzo was doing off the ball (and do it much better).  I started to question whether or not we could sometime see von in that role.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I didn't notice your opinion on Von Miller signing. Do you like it? Do you like it more that Chandler Jones signing you wanted?

I have been away for a couple of days that's why. Wasn't in a position to post on Wednesday and Thursday as I was gambling money on the horses, without much success it must be said! 

I was pleased with the Von Miller signing, yes. Chandler Jones was still my #1 target, but I said last week it was Jones or Von Miller or bust for me in the vet pass rusher market for this team. They needed one of the two top guys, and they got one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Edge.  

He will Rush the Passer.

But! He won’t be a standard player in this defense. Leslie must make allowances for him. He plays the super-wide-nine position and he will play it from a more standing up position. His job should be to read and react to the play and cause as much damage as he can to the opposition.

So, not the standard Leslie D….

: )

Just now, billybrew1 said:

But! He won’t be a standard player in this defense. Leslie must make allowances for him. He plays the super-wide-nine position and he will play it from a more standing up position. His job should be to read and react to the play and cause as much damage as he can to the opposition.

Should they try and make Von Miller fit their ridiculous D may heaven be kind to them for wasting such a talent.

9 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Should they try and make Von Miller fit their ridiculous D may heaven be kind to them for wasting such a talent.

Their D is far from ridiculous. That is why it has been top 5 in the NFL 3 out of 4 years. Is there more of an adjustment needed for Von? Yes, that was why Chandler Jones was my ideal target because he could be more plug and play, but they used Lorax in a creative way as a rusher and I am sure that they will do that some with Von Miller. But he will also play a lot of downs as a conventional defensive end. You can't go to nascar style pass rush packages every passing down.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I thought Settle said he would play that position too in his interview.😀

He is listed on the Bills roster as a LB. The way defenses are run today, they don't really designate whether they are running a 4-3 or 3-4 anymore. There have been so many hybrid schemes that take some principals from each and modify what individual players are expected to do. Miller is a speed rusher and at 250lbs can barely be called a DE. The Bills will have their own spin on his role. In a 3-4 they used to call his role the joker. But there are still variations. He can change from play to play DE/LB. That's just what defenses do nowadays. What you don't want is to pigeon hole what his role will be. Offenses have become very varied. Defenses must do the same or be left in the dust. So in essence, Miller will be both. A LB and a DE. He will have a role that can change from play to play, but if I had to guess it will mostly be to get after whoever has the ball and blow s**t up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.