Are We Setting Ourselves Up For Disappointment?

H2o

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Something I keep hearing is "the time to win the Super Bowl is now" as reasoning that we'll be players in FA. But the same was said last season (maybe even louder) and we weren't. And we're in the exact same spot we were last season as far as the cap. Yet expectations are even HIGHER than they were at this time last year. I hope I'm wrong, but I definitely see a lot of "is Beane asleep?" and "what is Beane doing?!" posts coming over the next few days.

Unexpectedly resigning all three of what was perceived at the time as our best free agents last year (Milano, D. Williams, and Feliciano) even with a smaller than expected cap number lessened the criticism of Beane for not doing much in free agency.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Adding a big name or 2 to the roster is always welcome, but we are definitely NOT "a big name or 2 away" from winning a SB.  We have all that we need right now to win a SB.  We could have won a SB last year had we not thrown our ticket to the AFC championship game down the toilet.

If we re-played last season 10 times, we probably go to the AFC championship game 9 times, win in 5 or 6 times, and win the SB after that 2 or 3 times....with what we had and even with our best CB on the sideline.

People for some reason assume, because we didn't win a SB last year, we don't "have what we need right now."

We do.

I wish/hope you are right but we are going to be older next year in the secondary/defense and we did pretty well avoiding the injuries last year minus Tre. I still think We need a few more weapons and break out season for our D Line pics. 

If we don’t get Jones,  Gronk , Kirk , JC Jackson  by tomorrow morning I’m freaking DONE with this team , almost forgot and trade Edmonds 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, H2o said:

I know we, the fans, are hype about FA. Our team is finally good again and positioned to be that way for a while. We're seeing the Bills linked to a bunch of big names and seeing reports that some have even reached out to us. We are really just an impact player or two away from hoisting a Lombardi. I can't help but think that maybe we're expecting too much and aren't going to see the big moves we were hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but going big in FA doesn't seem like Beane/McDermott style. 

Who cares about free agents? Just win big and I don't care how they acquire the players.

5 minutes ago, Putin said:

If we don’t get Jones,  Gronk , Kirk , JC Jackson  by tomorrow morning I’m freaking DONE with this team , almost forgot and trade Edmonds 

I hope you have another team in mind.😉. Kirk at 15+M, ain't happening, JC Jackson unless he takes half of what he's projected,  ain't happening & Gronk I seriously doubt....

Jones..... I think that maaaaay have some potential. So.... Might want to rethink your statement. 😁 LOL...

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I hope you have another team in mind.😉. Kirk at 15+M, ain't happening, JC Jackson unless he takes half of what he's projected,  ain't happening & Gronk I seriously doubt....

Jones..... I think that maaaaay have some potential. So.... Might want to rethink your statement. 😁 LOL...

I’ve been a ( DIE HARD ) Bills  fan since the late 80’s i would rather give up watching football then rooting for another team , 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is this "we" ?  The Bills ended February with negative cap space.  Beane said it wouldn't be as tight as last year, and that we would look outside the roster to fill from some FA that are leaving.

Last year we signed Sanders for $6M and Trubisky for $2.5.

People who expect us to run out and sign Chandler Jones and Rob Gronkowski and trade for CMC are just nuts.  They are setting themselves up, sure.

Beane said this year would not be as tight as last year

We can't go with the status quo.  We have 1 1TDT and 1 3TDT on the roster (and most people want to wave "bye" to the 1T).  We have 1 CB rehabbing his ACL and a 3rd year "zone only" small guy.  We also have our LG (rehabbing an ACL) and our backup LG/C as FA

Status quo not an option

Status quo as in the way Beane does it......little to none on the first day of free agency......waiting until the smoke clears and then getting guys on lesser contracts.

19 minutes ago, Putin said:

Jones and Gronk are realistic. But they won't have enough for any additional names unless someone takes Edmunds off our hands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

A different perspective....

You never really know where a veteran free agent player is in their career path.  It matters when and how you buy the player and what your expectation is.  Is the player an Albert Haynesworth who will cash it in once he gets paid? Is he at the end and decides to go for one more paycheck (Vontae Davis)? Are you signing him to be leader and teach (Saffold might be that- teaching Kromer's blocking scheme)?   Its less of a crapshoot than the draft but still a crapshoot.   Teams and players should understand their expectations with every move.  

One of the most interesting parts of free agency to me is when a team signs a player at a position where we thought they were stacked.  For example, if the Bills were to sign a safety this year who would compete with Hyde or Poyer.  Did the coaches and personnel team see a subtle skill fade?

I go in to Free Agency with very few expectations, but I like to think about the role and message of each signing.  Rarely disappointed because I simply don't have enough knowledge to understand why a signing was or was not made. 

17 hours ago, H2o said:

I know we, the fans, are hype about FA. Our team is finally good again and positioned to be that way for a while. We're seeing the Bills linked to a bunch of big names and seeing reports that some have even reached out to us. We are really just an impact player or two away from hoisting a Lombardi. I can't help but think that maybe we're expecting too much and aren't going to see the big moves we were hoping for. Hope I'm wrong, but going big in FA doesn't seem like Beane/McDermott style. 

I feel like people have confused Josh Allen's development into a top 3 QB in the NFL with being equal to the Bills development as a team.  We tied for the group in fith to eighth place last year.  And we have several players in decline on both sides of the ball.  We may need more than 1 or 2 additional top players. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Jones and Gronk are realistic. But they won't have enough for any additional names unless someone takes Edmunds off our hands.

Is it? Will take some CAP magic for sure.  15m for Jones, 8 for Gronk. That's about 23m. Need about 3 for draft, 4-5m for a BU QB and still have to fill several spots. Will be interesting next few days. Personally, I'd skip out on Gronk.

18 hours ago, H2o said:

Yes simply because most of the expectations around here border on the line of delusional and ridiculous.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Is it? Will take some CAP magic for sure.  15m for Jones, 8 for Gronk. That's about 23m. Need about 3 for draft, 4-5m for a BU QB and still have to fill several spots. Will be interesting next few days. Personally, I'd skip out on Gronk.

If Sanders and Beasley are gone what are we doing at WR ? We need at least one WR in the free agency or are we counting on what we already have on the roaster and the draft ? 

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

If Sanders and Beasley are gone what are we doing at WR ? We need at least one WR in the free agency or are we counting on what we already have on the roaster and the draft ? 

Nope. Just signed Lil' Dirty and I still expect a Mid- Level FA. Just not at the Kirk level price. More along the lines of a Byron Pringle if we don't get Sanders to come back for 1 more. And of course a Draft pick.

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

Nope. Just signed Lil' Dirty and I still expect a Mid- Level FA. Just not at the Kirk level price. More along the lines of a Byron Pringle if we don't get Sanders to come back for 1 more. And of course a Draft pick.

And you think that’s enough to keep our fastball ?? 
who would be our 5 wr set ? 

12 minutes ago, Putin said:

And you think that’s enough to keep our fastball ?? 
who would be our 5 wr set ? 

As we sit now, we have Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Hodgings, Kumerow,  Stevenson, Beasley. Add Sanders (or FA) and a Draft Pick. I could also see another UDFA on the PS or even a 2nd draft pick depending on how the first 4 rounds fall. I think we currently have everyone we had last year signed except Sanders.

18 hours ago, H2o said:

Bills can't "go big" until they release or restructure a number of players. Glad McKenzie is back and wonder how they can fit his contract under the cap

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes simply because most of the expectations around here border on the line of delusional and ridiculous.  

Yep, and wait for the meltdowns over the next few days when Beane doesn’t give them what they want…

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Adding a big name or 2 to the roster is always welcome, but we are definitely NOT "a big name or 2 away" from winning a SB.  We have all that we need right now to win a SB.  We could have won a SB last year had we not thrown our ticket to the AFC championship game down the toilet.

If we re-played last season 10 times, we probably go to the AFC championship game 9 times, win in 5 or 6 times, and win the SB after that 2 or 3 times....with what we had and even with our best CB on the sideline.

People for some reason assume, because we didn't win a SB last year, we don't "have what we need right now."

We do.

But what about those free agents

scratching chappelles show GIF

We are Bills fans so we yearly set ourselves up for disappointment lol But no I would agree I think there is a higher probability the moves in FA do not meet the expectations of fans as there is a yearning for a high profile addition and some players to leave who may not.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:04 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think the kind of posters who are hoping for a trade for Saquon Barkley, signing for Chandler Jones, Rob Gronkowski, Bobby Wagner, re-signing Harrison Phillips AND trading Tremaine Edmunds for a 2nd Round Pick DEFINITELY are.

But I don't think *a* big time signing, especially something like Gronk, on an incentive laden deal, is out of the question.

I think it all depends on what your personal expectations are.

Lol !  No sooner did you finish typing this and the one guy you mention is now out of the question because Brady just can’t stand missing all the focus / attention , and bingo , you become one of the posters you cautioned about! Haha, just kidding !  ( I really am over that guy being in the league again and it will be even one more year of him always getting so much media hype ; it’s tiresome and just sickening  for me as I’m so over the guy. Can do everything but f  n retire!😩😠😤😆

Edited by DrPJax

15 minutes ago, corta765 said:

We are Bills fans so we yearly set ourselves up for disappointment lol But no I would agree I think there is a higher probability the moves in FA do not meet the expectations of fans as there is a yearning for a high profile addition and some players to leave who may not.

Even when Bean did have a lot of money to play with in the free agency he never signed big time free agents, it was always mid tier type of players to fill the holes so I don’t expect things to change this year either 

On 3/12/2022 at 10:56 PM, H2o said:

Not me. I get all excited about the draft every year and almost always wind up being disappointed, if not utterly flabbergasted and disgusted.That said, McBeane drafts look like works of genius compared to Levy and every GM we have had since Polian and Butler.

I guess this isn't saying much.

34 minutes ago, Putin said:

Even when Bean did have a lot of money to play with in the free agency he never signed big time free agents, it was always mid tier type of players to fill the holes so I don’t expect things to change this year either 

Agreed. His biggest name is probably Mitch Morse to be truthful and I think that was a superb signing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.