Addressing the RB position

smuvtalker

3 hours ago, cage said:

I agree with all your points!  I just can't see them putting big money behind any back as the Josh era unfolds.  We'll never have cap $ to prioritize that position.  We should be looking in rounds 2-5 pretty regularly to see if we can find a Jonathan Taylor (2nd rd), but otherwise I think we'll be playing with a string of Singletarys and never resigning any of them.  If there's competition for his services, someone else will be willing to pay more than we should, if there's not then he wasn't good enough.

I'm with you.  You don't put the money into RB.  Draft BPA, and that includes RB in rounds 3 and above.  I think it is already time to think about Singletary's (and Moss') replacements.  No need for the $6M+ investment into that position.  Spotrac estimates Patterson at $9M, Fournette and Connor around $6-7M.  The Bills should have nothing to do with that.

Usually, I'm on board with the pay your own, a year in advance, philosophy, but not with RB.  Get another r3 RB and groom him for Singletary's role, and then the following year, if it works out, jettison Singletary and pair the new RB with a discounted, disgruntled veteran (like Fournette w Tampa at approx $2M.)

Jerome Ford would be great in our offense. We'd likely have to take him with our 3rd round pick. I'd really like to get a quality rb this draft, but would want to wait until the 4th round at the earliest. 

4th round guys that might be an upgrade over Moss and / or Breida: Pierre Strong Jr., Zonovan Knight (was also a top kick returner), Hassan Haskins, Zamir White, D'Vonta Price. 

26 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

I doubt if Derrick Henry would be the solution for that time frame, and it would hurt against the cap past his shelf life. Keep drafting cheap late rounders that have little effect on the cap, and let them go when the rookie contract ends. If they are decent and attract a FA contract by someone else, that's great then harvest the compensatory.

Yeah, Derrick Henry now might not. But Derrick Henry as a rookie absolutely was.

I'm with you, though, draft mid- to late-rounders fairly regularly.

54 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I have a major Michigan bias, but I love Haskins.  He's not a "speed" guy, but he runs hard and gets ton of yards after contact.  There's not a lot of hesitation and dancing around when he gets the ball - he hits the hole hard and quickly.  He's very effective on screens and slants, when used that way.  He's probably a little bit faster than he's given credit for because of his physical style.  He is a converted LB and seems to stay healthy despite all the contact.  He also has a knack for showing up in big moments (3rd and 4th and short situations) and in big games (5 TD against Ohio State).  He gains yards even when the defense knows the run is coming.  With Haskins on the roster, Josh would not have to be the Bills' short yardage back anymore.  I just saw that he was the 10th rated RB in this draft, so he can likely be had in the mid-to-late rounds.  I think he'd be a great value if available at that point in the draft.

I also agree that Breece Hall from Iowa State - a true "speed" back - would also be a great addition.  I have not seen him play nearly as much as I have seen Haskins, but from what I have seen, he's the real deal.  Fast, quick, runs hard, and seems to show up in big moments.

As a person with a UCLA bias, is Haskins the reason that Charbonnet left the program? He was dominant for UCLA this past season and could well have gone in the second at some point had he declared. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

As a person with a UCLA bias, is Haskins the reason that Charbonnet left the program? He was dominant for UCLA this past season and could well have gone in the second at some point had he declared. 

I don't think it was Haskins alone.  Michigan also has an excellent back in Blake Corum and had recruited 5-star Donovan Edwards.  I think that Charbonnet saw a crowded backfield, combined with a desire to be closer to home (he's from CA) and the poor season Michigan had in 2020 and decided to move on.  It worked out for everyone in that Charbonnet had an excellent season at UCLA and Michigan had a dominant running attack led by Haskins and Corum, with flashes by Edwards.  At the team level, Michigan rebounded from 2-4 to 12-2 and a Big 10 title and playoff apperance and UCLA rebounded from 3-4 to 8-4.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Singletary is the RB1 and if anyone can beat that out this year that's great, but I doubt it.

Zach Moss most likely stays on the roster for this coming season unless some crazy thing happens.  His question would be

whether or not he is RB2 or RB3.  If he is relegated to RB3 that would be the best thing for the team unless he makes big

improvements this season ala Singletary last year.

We all see the whole RB2 question as a draft v FA signing.  FA comes first and I get a feeling that it may resemble last year's.

There was a lot of bargains last season and I think there will be some again this year.  It might mean that sites like Spotrac

may be overvaluing a good number of the FA RBs.

So I think they should look to FA first and if no bargains are there use a draft pick.

Do the Bills get another FB/HB/TE type to replace Gilliam?  What do you draft guys think of Jeremiah Hall from Oklahoma?

Is he worth a late Day3 pick?  

Jashaun Corbin

RB: FSU

6ft, 217 lbs

Anyone who knows anything about FSU football, knows how bad of an oline we've had the last few years. Really bad, not much worse can be found in college football. Even with this, Corbin manage to pull out a 5.75 yd per carry avg. the last 2 year at FSU. I bring him up, because it looks like he can be had with a 6th or 7th rd pick. Having watched him the past 2 years, I would love to see us give him a shot late in the draft or even UDFA. Aside from him, I like Hassan Haskins in the 4th.

13 hours ago, Gordon Lightfoot said:

My friends son who goes to U of Florida is high on Dameon Pierce...KInd of reminds him of Marshawn Lynch....He never got much of an opportunity because the coach wouldn't play him

I watched every game he played in as a Gator alum.  Very good all around back that really put in the work to put on size without compromising his running ability.  Great pass blocker, good hands and powerful. He didn’t get a feature role because the gators didnt really do that with Mullen, it was a committee and those other backs are pretty good in their own right.   He did have 16 TDs this past year and was definitely their red zone back. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Singletary is the RB1 and if anyone can beat that out this year that's great, but I doubt it.

Zach Moss most likely stays on the roster for this coming season unless some crazy thing happens.  His question would be

whether or not he is RB2 or RB3.  If he is relegated to RB3 that would be the best thing for the team unless he makes big

improvements this season ala Singletary last year.

We all see the whole RB2 question as a draft v FA signing.  FA comes first and I get a feeling that it may resemble last year's.

There was a lot of bargains last season and I think there will be some again this year.  It might mean that sites like Spotrac

may be overvaluing a good number of the FA RBs.

So I think they should look to FA first and if no bargains are there use a draft pick.

Do the Bills get another FB/HB/TE type to replace Gilliam?  What do you draft guys think of Jeremiah Hall from Oklahoma?

Is he worth a late Day3 pick?  

I just see Motor and Moss being the same "type" of player with Motor being better (I was wrong on that one....I didnt realize that Moss had such poor vision)

We need a change up in the bullpen BEHIND Motor that can actually be active on game days and not sit on the DNP list......a SPEED back......a guy that can do other things like be a returner.....a value guy

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree he doesn't have elite speed, but he has a career 4.7 YPC.  Hard to be better than that.

As well, on outside runs Singletary is well over 5 YPC,

an entire season with Kromer’s blocking schemes that 4.7 is very likely to increase. 

I do think that other positions are of higher priority.

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Hopefully Moss improves to a decent power/#2 rb.

Regardless, I think we're fine there with Singletary.

I would not spend early picks or FA there. More important issues.

I want to like Moss, but the problem with depending on him as a power back is he always going to be undersized. He may have power for his size, but power and size go together.  Being smallish, there's only so much power he can pack into his frame.  

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Hopefully Moss improves to a decent power/#2 rb.

Regardless, I think we're fine there with Singletary.

I would not spend early picks or FA there. More important issues.

Get real.  Moss won't be on the team next year & Singletary is on the last year of his rookie contract.  RB is a HUGE issue.  

Everyone begging for a "speed" back.  If I could pair Motor up with anyone it would be a big back to take some of the big back carries that our QB now takes 100 percent of.  When I say big back I don't mean just anyone like a FB we brought up from the practice squad.  I mean an actual rb who has some size and can carry tacklers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.