Addressing the RB position

smuvtalker

3 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

The consensus top backs look like Michigan State's Kenneth Walker, Texas A&M's Isaiah Spiller, Notre Dame's Kyren Williams,  Cincinnati's Jerome Ford, and Michigan's Hasaan Haskins.  Per SI's draft board, none of them project as day one picks

They didn’t have Breece Hall listed in top RB talk?

• Like (+1) 1

I am not going to float off names because I feel it's really early for that. What Singletary brings is that down the middle type of player.., He is not fast but quick, he not going to run over guys but will evade players in open field, he is not a threat to take it all the way but enough that you have to pay attention to the guy. I like to call this type of player a down the middle type player.

We need a HB that is either heavy on one side of the spectrum or the other. Fast 4.4, catches the edge, can take it the distance any play... OR  Truck them... wont get caught behind the line with great strength. nothing down the middle unless its a 3 down RB that can potentially start in this league

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Like the great majority of you, I was very happy with the play of Devin Singletary from the last 5 games of the regular season (starting at Tampa) and both playoff games.  I thought he ran with more purpose, was more decisive with his runs, and refused to go down on first contact much more so than early on in the season.  He also became more of a threat catching passes, as evidenced by him having 5 multiple reception games in his last 6 games as opposed to 5 in his first 12.  I'm sure it can be argued that some of his success can be attributed to the improved play of the offensive line, as well as finding the right combination along the line.  

As pleased as I was with Singletary, I still ask myself, is he the long term solution at RB we've been looking for?  And personally, I still think we can/should look to upgrade the position.  I know that Beane even said something to the tune of we are always looking to improve at every position.  I like Singletary, I think he's got a good attitude.  When he was demoted he took it in stride, continued to work hard, and when his number was called, he answered the bell.  However, I think he has average speed, and still can be a little indecisive at times when it comes to making a decision which hole to hit, committing to it, making that one cut and taking off.   What I truly fantasize over is that back with that homerun hitting, breakaway speed, the one who's a threat to take it to the house at any given time, from anywhere on the field.  I know they don't grow on trees, but I know they're easier to find than alot of other positions.

looked at the top RB prospects coming out this year, and like QB, there doesn't seem to be any "can't miss" stud RBs coming out this year.  The consensus top backs look like Michigan State's Kenneth Walker, Texas A&M's Isaiah Spiller, Notre Dame's Kyren Williams,  Cincinnati's Jerome Ford, and Michigan's Hasaan Haskins.  Per SI's draft board, none of them project as day one picks.  

It's nice knowing that we have a capable guy in Singletary, but I'd love to see us upgrade at the position, and this off-season.  Moss regressed this year IMO, and I have my doubts as to him ever being the featured back in our offense.   

Thoughts?

It’s simple. Quit relying on bargains and actual,y draft a true talent. Get a Harris type, look what he infused into that steeler O. Manning, Elway succeeded after getting good backs; Marino failed never having an adequate running game.  History is very clear on this. Our bargain backs are just that and don’t do enough to help us in bad weather or punish teams dropping into umbrella zones taking away our passing game. We need.  Josh to have more possessions. , yet also limit exposing him to injury and ultimately shortening his career Devin had a few good games but again in a huge game against KC, came up with 20 ish yards.  Get a legit 3 down back and make the kbs hesitate or take false steps or create a mismatch as a Lb tries to cover a speedy back. Kc kilked us with CEH, on screens and in the flat. This regime has ignored our lack of back production for 5 years!  CIncy has a legit run game and look who is in the suoer bowl!!  Not us! 

I would prefer being in victory formation because we controlled our last 4 min running rather than depending on Frazier to defend a hail Murray or guard the sidelines as the seam parts like the Red Sea!  We can be dominant with Josh and our O; while this d has failed in one possession games and is 0-4 in road playoff games.  Quit throwing resources at the D and take control with our offensive superstar and give him another legit weapon in the form of a quality rb who could add 1500 yards all while keeping Josh safe and extending his career in Buffalo.

History is important , just ask Marino during super bowl week. Get a back who is a threat on screens, wheel routes, and can pick up those third and short yardage or goal line plays.  They are out there. Give us a back like Harris and this O  Becomes  unstoppable in almost any situation. Without Allen running , we are still one dimensional, and if he ends up out or hurt for any period and another season needlessly goes down the drain. Address our one offensive weakness , get a legit 3 down back, and we will never worry about 13 seconds again!   

• Like (+1) 1

With OLC/run game coordinator  Kromer coming back into the fold, we can rightfully expect a notable improvement in how the O-line functions within the many facets of the offense, I do expect Singletary to continue to be an important cog in the offensive scheme, as well I expect Beane to add to the RB room before official team activities start this upcoming preseason, who that addition will be, and when it happens I really don’t know, I suspect your guesses are likely better than mine.

Frankly, I expect the offense to operate in a smoother and more decisive fashion than it has for the last two years. Our new offensive coaches, imo, will work together more seamlessly than we have seen in the last two seasons, and the on field performance is going to be amazing to watch,  jmo.

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Singletary wasn't on the field when the coaching staff and defense cost us a SuperBowl. 

Upgrading the interior OL is fine but the priorities are CB and DL. 

Not disagreeing with you at all, in fact I wouldn't even say upgrading the RB spot is a NEED.  To me it is just a definite want, and it is BECAUSE of how dynamic this offense has become already.  To jump back into an earlier thread where it was asked if we felt the Bills took a step forward or backward, my answer was a resounding step forward, and it was mainly due to the maturity and development of Allen, the gelling and finding the right combination along the O line, and Singletary's improvement in the second half of the season(amongst other offensive improvements).  But IMO, if we had a back with homerun speed, there's no telling how insane the offense could be.  I get visions of Tecmo Bowl and Walter Payton.  His player on there was simply unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Singletary wasn't on the field when the coaching staff and defense cost us a SuperBowl. 

Upgrading the interior OL is fine but the priorities are CB and DL. 

I don’t think any reasonable fan wants a RB early in the draft. The offense is missing playmakers with elite speed. Speed at RB would add a wrinkle to this offense. Screen game would benefit. 

9 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Like the great majority of you, I was very happy with the play of Devin Singletary from the last 5 games of the regular season (starting at Tampa) and both playoff games.  I thought he ran with more purpose, was more decisive with his runs, and refused to go down on first contact much more so than early on in the season.  He also became more of a threat catching passes, as evidenced by him having 5 multiple reception games in his last 6 games as opposed to 5 in his first 12.  I'm sure it can be argued that some of his success can be attributed to the improved play of the offensive line, as well as finding the right combination along the line.  

As pleased as I was with Singletary, I still ask myself, is he the long term solution at RB we've been looking for?  And personally, I still think we can/should look to upgrade the position.  I know that Beane even said something to the tune of we are always looking to improve at every position.  I like Singletary, I think he's got a good attitude.  When he was demoted he took it in stride, continued to work hard, and when his number was called, he answered the bell.  However, I think he has average speed, and still can be a little indecisive at times when it comes to making a decision which hole to hit, committing to it, making that one cut and taking off.   What I truly fantasize over is that back with that homerun hitting, breakaway speed, the one who's a threat to take it to the house at any given time, from anywhere on the field.  I know they don't grow on trees, but I know they're easier to find than alot of other positions.

looked at the top RB prospects coming out this year, and like QB, there doesn't seem to be any "can't miss" stud RBs coming out this year.  The consensus top backs look like Michigan State's Kenneth Walker, Texas A&M's Isaiah Spiller, Notre Dame's Kyren Williams,  Cincinnati's Jerome Ford, and Michigan's Hasaan Haskins.  Per SI's draft board, none of them project as day one picks.  

It's nice knowing that we have a capable guy in Singletary, but I'd love to see us upgrade at the position, and this off-season.  Moss regressed this year IMO, and I have my doubts as to him ever being the featured back in our offense.   

Thoughts?

I like Singletary as a primary backup but I don't see him explosive or fast enough to be starter on title team.  That KC game highlighted his lack of burst and speed on the one series where he failed to hit the open hole fast enough on the 2nd & short play.  I really believe the Bills need to get a 3 down big play RB and that will remove the need for designed Josh Allen run plays which I don't like.  Allen cannot continue to take all these shots,  bring in a RB with burst and great speed and out offence improves from last season. Yes the line needs to do better and maybe add another mauling guard,  but RB position has needed an upgrade for the past two seasons.  Even Beane mentioned it after last season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Is he the long-term solution? Over 5 - 8 years, who knows. Maybe. Over 2 or 3 years, yeah, he very likely is.

I agree with all your points!  I just can't see them putting big money behind any back as the Josh era unfolds.  We'll never have cap $ to prioritize that position.  We should be looking in rounds 2-5 pretty regularly to see if we can find a Jonathan Taylor (2nd rd), but otherwise I think we'll be playing with a string of Singletarys and never resigning any of them.  If there's competition for his services, someone else will be willing to pay more than we should, if there's not then he wasn't good enough.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, smuvtalker said:

Not disagreeing with you at all, in fact I wouldn't even say upgrading the RB spot is a NEED.  To me it is just a definite want, and it is BECAUSE of how dynamic this offense has become already.  To jump back into an earlier thread where it was asked if we felt the Bills took a step forward or backward, my answer was a resounding step forward, and it was mainly due to the maturity and development of Allen, the gelling and finding the right combination along the O line, and Singletary's improvement in the second half of the season(amongst other offensive improvements).  But IMO, if we had a back with homerun speed, there's no telling how insane the offense could be.  I get visions of Tecmo Bowl and Walter Payton.  His player on there was simply unstoppable.

I am on record I wanted Harris in the first round last year. It made sense then and I agree with everything you stated. And if Beane drafted RB this year again I would not be disappointed.  I too would draft a speed RB if they do draft a RB.

I just feel we need another high end CB as top priority, a real edge rusher, interior OL, NT, and TE#2 as the most important priorities. 

24 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I like Singletary as a primary backup but I don't see him explosive or fast enough to be starter on title team.  That KC game highlighted his lack of burst and speed on the one series where he failed to hit the open hole fast enough on the 2nd & short play.  I really believe the Bills need to get a 3 down big play RB and that will remove the need for designed Josh Allen run plays which I don't like.  Allen cannot continue to take all these shots,  bring in a RB with burst and great speed and out offence improves from last season. Yes the line needs to do better and maybe add another mauling guard,  but RB position has needed an upgrade for the past two seasons.  Even Beane mentioned it after last season

I agree he doesn't have elite speed, but he has a career 4.7 YPC.  Hard to be better than that.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe improving the run game will be a point of emphasis this off season.  OL coach Bobby Johnson leaving the team is no coincidence imo.  Why did it take as long as it did to get Ryan Bates into the lineup?

Bringing in Kromer should help.  I think they'll draft an IOL guy and bring in a RB to challenge Moss for RB2.  Maybe they'll do more at RB.  CB, IOL and WR seem more pressing needs imo but admit I'm not a big fan of designed runs by Allen.

it still feels like our RBs are smurfs and Josh Allen is our true short yardage back. I love Josh's ability to convert a broken play into positive yardage but all this running will eventually shorten his career. Now that Daboll is gone, I wonder if our running game approach will change to something more conventional. I get that we are a pass first offense but we need the ability to pound the ball between the tackles too. A Fournette or someone like him would make us very difficult to defend

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, stuvian said:

it still feels like our RBs are smurfs and Josh Allen is our true short yardage back. I love Josh's ability to convert a broken play into positive yardage but all this running will eventually shorten his career. Now that Daboll is gone, I wonder if our running game approach will change to something more conventional. I get that we are a pass first offense but we need the ability to pound the ball between the tackles too. A Fournette or someone like him would make us very difficult to defend

You hit the nail on the head Bills receiving corps is the smallest and slowest in the league..we where last in YAC yards.

We are supposed to have two of the elite defensive minds in the league between our coach and DC it would be nice if the guy who drives this franchise our QB got a pick on offense above the 3rd round 

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

I have a major Michigan bias, but I love Haskins.  He's not a "speed" guy, but he runs hard and gets ton of yards after contact.  There's not a lot of hesitation and dancing around when he gets the ball - he hits the hole hard and quickly.  He's very effective on screens and slants, when used that way.  He's probably a little bit faster than he's given credit for because of his physical style.  He is a converted LB and seems to stay healthy despite all the contact.  He also has a knack for showing up in big moments (3rd and 4th and short situations) and in big games (5 TD against Ohio State).  He gains yards even when the defense knows the run is coming.  With Haskins on the roster, Josh would not have to be the Bills' short yardage back anymore.  I just saw that he was the 10th rated RB in this draft, so he can likely be had in the mid-to-late rounds.  I think he'd be a great value if available at that point in the draft.

I also agree that Breece Hall from Iowa State - a true "speed" back - would also be a great addition.  I have not seen him play nearly as much as I have seen Haskins, but from what I have seen, he's the real deal.  Fast, quick, runs hard, and seems to show up in big moments.

Jordan Howard would be a good compliment to Devin. He's had two 1,000 yard seasons and one 900 yard season. Good receiver out of the backfield who's a one cut down hill runner (5 11' 230 4.5 forty). He was a 2016 Pro Bowler and made the PFWA All-Rookie Team. He's dealt with some injuries of late, but is only 27 without a lot of wear and tear. Remember the 2019 season when Philly came in and ran the ball down our throats? Jordan Howard ran for 96 yards and was difficult to bring down.    

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Is he the long-term solution? Over 5 - 8 years, who knows. Maybe. Over 2 or 3 years, yeah, he very likely is.

I doubt if Derrick Henry would be the solution for that time frame, and it would hurt against the cap past his shelf life. Keep drafting cheap late rounders that have little effect on the cap, and let them go when the rookie contract ends. If they are decent and attract a FA contract by someone else, that's great then harvest the compensatory.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.