Trubisky -- where does he end up?

dave mcbride

Trubisky is a victim of the Bills losing too many games they should have won. Pitt. Tenn. Jax. They win those and he almost certainly gets a start at the end of the season and the opportunity to put up an impressive game to bolster his stock. The Rob Johnson effect. 

I don't think he goes to the Giants. He had opportunities to go to rebuilding teams last year and chose the Bills instead. No rebuilds and a legit opportunity to compete as a starter. If nothing like that materializes then I could see another 1 year deal with the Bills and a shot at starting some late season games 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I strongly believe he'll be moving on, and I've thought about the best position for him to land. He is not a franchise QB like Allen, but he's legitimately decent, has won in this league, and has all of the tools. If I'm Pittsburgh, which has no credible QB, I'm targeting him hard. In my view, his best career trajectory comp is Tannehill. Tannehill is not elite, but he's good and can help get to 11 wins and maybe a SB if the stars align. Pittsburgh has most of the other pieces outside of QB. Pittsburgh would be legit playoff contender with him. They are not a playoff contender with their current stable of quarterbacks. 

Do you think there is a path for him to stay in Buffalo?

I believe he will get paid double of what he makes now and stay with a winner. He had 50 games where he was under a media microscope and he knows how brutal that is. Got paid in Chicago. Now he runs scout team, holds clipboard and made 2.5 mill. Next year he will get 5 mill and count it while eating a donut a sipping his Tim Hortons.  

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I strongly believe he'll be moving on, and I've thought about the best position for him to land. He is not a franchise QB like Allen, but he's legitimately decent, has won in this league, and has all of the tools. If I'm Pittsburgh, which has no credible QB, I'm targeting him hard. In my view, his best career trajectory comp is Tannehill. Tannehill is not elite, but he's good and can help get to 11 wins and maybe a SB if the stars align. Pittsburgh has most of the other pieces outside of QB. Pittsburgh would be legit playoff contender with him. They are not a playoff contender with their current stable of quarterbacks. 

Giants.  Daboll will offer him a chance to compete with Jones because he will want a veteran QB around who is familiar with his system.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Giants.  Jones needs some competition.  Not buying all the fluff Schoen and Daboll are saying about Jones.  They’re not handing him the job, but doubt they draft a 1st round QB.  Trubisky would make sense there.  

Imagine the excitement that a Dan Jones-Mitch Trubisky "QB competition" would bring to the Giants fandom and the local press....

• Haha (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Giants.  Daboll will offer him a chance to compete with Jones because he will want a veteran QB around who is familiar with his system.  

Respectfully, I don't see it. Daboll is all in on Jones, who is a poor man's Allen. Daboll was hired to fix Jones, whom Giants management fully believes in. Not saying they are right, but the tools are definitely there. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is a good team that just happens to not have a credible quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m glad I don’t have to care where Trubisky ends up.  He should go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job.  That’s his best move.  He’s likely only ever going to be a backup level QB in the NFL, but he should take another shot at starting. 

He can probably sign a 3 year deal with a QB needy team that is effectively a modest (by NFL QB standards) one year contract with two much higher paying option years.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m glad I don’t have to care where Trubisky ends up.  He should go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job.  That’s his best move.  He’s likely only ever going to be a backup level QB in the NFL, but he should take another shot at starting. 

He can probably sign a 3 year deal with a QB needy team that is effectively a modest (by NFL QB standards) one year contract with two much higher paying option years.

I think he's better than backup level -- he's more like a qb who falls between 17 and 27 in terms of his play to date. The Bears did win with him, and his numbers in 2018 and 2020 were pretty decent. The Bears were 25-13 in games he started between 2018 and 2020. You could do a lot worse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think he's better than backup level -- he's more like a qb who falls between 17 and 27 in terms of his play to date. The Bears did win with him, and his numbers in 2018 and 2020 were pretty decent. The Bears were 25-13 in games he started between 2018 and 2020. You could do a lot worse.

I'm almost positive @BarleyNY would do a lot worse.  Call it intuition.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.