The 1-10 defense

Buffalo Barbarian

Since we are still upset over this i thought i would discuss how i would have defended the Chiefs in the last 13 seconds.

The ONE would be an athletic DE or LB to spy on Mahomes and try to bat down the ball if possible and tackle him if takes off. He would be about 3 yard off the ball and i would use DE Greg Rousseau for this spot.

The other TEN guys would be LBs and DBs double covering the 5 offense weapons. One guy would be pressing the Receiver on the line and the other guy 5 yards back and the two would be in man coverage on that one guy. I would have Milano pressing Kelce backed up by a DB.  For Hill if hes in the back field then one bumps him when he come through the line and then the two best cover dbs on him.

This would make it very hard for Mahomes to find an open receiver and if he takes off then you have burned a ton clock which is a major goal of this defense along with making it very difficult to complete a pass.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

For me, I would have played them them no different the last 13 secs than how they were the whole time. Prevent the big 20+ yard gain. Keep them around the 10 yard range like they did basically entire game

Playing soft didn't help thats for sure but i do think my suggestion would make it harder knowing that they have to pass.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Just now, shane nelson said:

sounds totally crazy especially with Mahomes legs, however it does have some merit.  Rush one, have one as a spy and the others in coverage.  Odds would be that KC burns a time one when they see the formation.  

If Mahomes runs he is going to run out of time, it would have had to be a throw

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, shane nelson said:

sounds totally crazy especially with Mahomes legs, however it does have some merit.  Rush one, have one as a spy and the others in coverage.  Odds would be that KC burns a time one when they see the formation.  

I wouldn't even rush one, need that guy for double coverage, just one spy while Mahomes is searching in the pocket.

1 minute ago, shane nelson said:

PS-anything would have been better than Sunday's coverage, especially on the 2nd play

Except for Wrecks Ryan defense 😜😜

Basically anything other than what we did would have worked. Still feel nauseous about it all.

I think McDermott and/or Frazier we’re trying to outsmart themselves. The only thing I can think of is that they were certain the Chiefs were trying to get a 30 yard completion.

But even if we give them a pass for the first downplay to Hill the subsequent play to Kelce and the defensive strategy there is inexplicable.

• Like (+1) 1

Bump Kelce. Or tackle him at the line; literally tackle him. Take the penalty.  Hell, my dog knew where the ball was going. 

But outside of that option, I agree with 1-10 in principle, but even three down lineman would have been better. And why were we protecting the sidelines so closely when they had two timeouts? 

Oh well, it’s two days in the past now. I’m over it. I had my temper tantrum and now it’s on to looking forward to getting rid of Edmunds and then the draft. Another “maybe next year” to add to the collection. 

• Like (+1) 2

Mahomes might run a 4.8. He’s also not very shifty when he gets that big belly moving. What would concern me is he’d identify the coverage and likely have a wall of blockers in his OL to road grade Rousseau and take on the next line of defenders IE Milano, Edmunds, Neal, Johnson. 

I figure he picks up anywhere from 15 yards and likely slides while calling a TO. No doubt that play wouldn’t have left as much time on the clock as Mahomes would have surveyed then decided to run. The hesitation. Factor even if 1-1.5 seconds would have been our huge advantage. 

It’s a forever what-if scenario that will live on for many years.

I’ve advocated since Sunday night we should have went for 2. Does Allen & Co convert? What play would we have run? A gadget play or simply get Allen on the move and smash forward for 2 yards? 

10 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

PS-anything would have been better than Sunday's coverage, especially on the 2nd play

You would think they would've done something after the 1st play. The 1st play is what alerted them to how Bills would defend it. Kelce said it himself mic'ed up in that other thread..."they gona defend like that middle gona be wide open" something along those lines.

5 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

I would have rushed 3 ED Harrison, Rousseau  had 2 LB's (1 within 7 yards to shadow Mahomes other in coverage) and 4 DB (Neal would have been on Kelce as he has the size and speed)  & 2 safeties.

why rush him then he takes off and runs for 20-30 yds anyway. Just one spy and double everyone else. Having two defenders on one receiver would make it very tough to find an open receiver let alone complete the pass.

Their drive before, they went 75 yard in five plays to take the lead. Before that the huge punt return and we were fortunate to hold them to 3 points. It is ok to say they are a damn good team, we had our shot, we were fortunate and got some breaks to get back in that game and it just didn't pan out.  I hate that they lost and it's easy to try and find blame to make us feel better.

Josh with two time outs and 13 seconds gets Bass a shot. I truly believe that. 

3 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

When they take a timeout are you going to line up the same way?

Yep

Plus they will have very little time left to call timeout. This is a pass defense only because they had to pass and if for some dumb reason if they do run they are burning a ton of clock and all the guys back would just come up to stop the run like they normally do.

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Their drive before, they went 75 yard in five plays to take the lead. Before that the huge punt return and we were fortunate to hold them to 3 points. It is ok to say they are a damn good team, we had our shot, we were fortunate and got some breaks to get back in that game and it just didn't pan out.  I hate that they lost and it's easy to try and find blame to make us feel better.

Josh with two time outs and 13 seconds gets Bass a shot. I truly believe that. 

Sure but the coaches clearly screwed up and they know it and is why McDermott wont explain why because he doesn't throw guys under the bus. I dont need to comfort myself with we played a great and its ok. Its not ok and they need to take responsibility, which im sure they did in house, but we won this game and is inexcusable that we lost.

Jam them at the line, Kelce and Hill. Don't allow them into the secondary. Even with a 5 yrd penalty, they burn clock and only have one play left. Then double team both play them over the top with safeties. Make anyone else beat us on that one last play from the 30. They'd need 35-40 yrds to get in FG range.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep

Plus they will have very little time left to call timeout. This is a pass defense only because they had to pass and if for some dumb reason if they do run they are burning a ton of clock and all the guys back would just come up to stop the run like they normally do.

Ahh. I see

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Since we are still upset over this i thought i would discuss how i would have defended the Chiefs in the last 13 seconds.

The ONE would be an athletic DE or LB to spy on Mahomes and try to bat down the ball if possible and tackle him if takes off. He would be about 3 yard off the ball and i would use DE Greg Rousseau for this spot.

The other TEN guys would be LBs and DBs double covering the 5 offense weapons. One guy would be pressing the Receiver on the line and the other guy 5 yards back and the two would be in man coverage on that one guy. I would have Milano pressing Kelce backed up by a DB.  For Hill if hes in the back field then one bumps him when he come through the line and then the two best cover dbs on him.

This would make it very hard for Mahomes to find an open receiver and if he takes off then you have burned a ton clock which is a major goal of this defense along with making it very difficult to complete a pass.

in another thread I said you can do a 1-10 and double all the receivers.

mahomes knew he’d have to throw the ball in 3 seconds to get the ball to the receiver and he gain 20 and down. 

yiu could have 2 close in around the tackles about 2 yds to Thrn jump and dive to block the ball.  You coukd put the teams two tallest, best jumpers on

the other 9 are in coverage.  The longer he waits the farther down throws

the middle of the 9 around 15 is to pursue mahomes if he scrambles 

yiu can have 7 in the 10-20 yard range and then 2 deep safeties   Man cover anyone going deeper than 20 

the plan was either

1 get 2 20 yd completions and get to the 35 for a FG try or go 1 of 2 then Hail Mary to end zone.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep would have rushed 2 and had 9 DBs or even McKenzie on the field as super deep guy just in case.  Allows at least 6 guys to play up - which I wouldn't have shown until the last second 

• Like (+1) 1

You know, we're all over McD and Frazier for the lapse w/ 13 seconds left.  But Belichick had basically the same fail in 2018.

There were 38 seconds left, but Mahomes went from his own 31 to the New England 20 in 2 plays & 18 seconds. The main difference was the KC only had one timeout in that game.

It's probably been talked about already here, but I had forgotten that.  The only difference was the KC lost that OT coin toss. 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sure but the coaches clearly screwed up and they know it and is why McDermott wont explain why because he doesn't throw guys under the bus. I dont need to comfort myself with we played a great and its ok. Its not ok and they need to take responsibility, which im sure they did in house, but we won this game and is inexcusable that we lost.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm trying to be more objective. Maybe I'm a little further along the five stages of grieving. 😉

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep would have rushed 2 and had 9 DBs or even McKenzie on the field as super deep guy just in case.  Allows at least 6 guys to play up - which I wouldn't have shown until the last second 

Im not rushing anyone, just making Mahomes kill time looking for WRs.

I think go 2-9 just to at least have some rush. Or you fake they are rushing and have them drop back in coverage that strategy could have potentially knocked down the quick Mahomes pass on 1st.

The other 9 guys cover the field in thirds. You give up anything less than 10 yds but should at least tackle them quickly. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm trying to be more objective. Maybe I'm a little further along the five stages of grieving. 😉

Im not greaving been with this team to long for that lol. Im just being pragmatic about the situation and the coaches screwed up and im offering a solution to their mistake.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm treating the final drive the same way I treat a passing down in the first quarter where it usually takes a team 4-6 minutes of game clock to score. When you change your routine from what you've been doing all game (and what you were spending 99% of your practice time on) you're guaranteed to execute less successfully. Treat it like any other play and execute.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I think go 2-9 just to at least have some rush. Or you fake they are rushing and have them drop back in coverage that strategy could have potentially knocked down the quick Mahomes pass on 1st.

The other 9 guys cover the field in thirds. You give up anything less than 10 yds but should at least tackle them quickly. 

i think rushing is too dangerous as it makes it too easy for Mahomes to take off for a big gain, but if he doesnt feel pressured hes going to take awhile to find an open receiver and burning clock is a major priority here.

That would have entailed a bunch of backups playing the most important snaps of the season. I would be very opposed to that.

Imo the problem was player execution and not necessarily the playcall. That defense on the Kelce catch looked like 2man but they gave up inside leverage  in trail technique which is wrong. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i think rushing is too dangerous as it makes it too easy for Mahomes to take off for a big gain, but if he doesnt feel pressured hes going to take awhile to find an open receiver and burning clock is a major priority here.

He isn't running for too much of a big gain with 13 secs I wouldn't think...

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm treating the final drive the same way I treat a passing down in the first quarter where it usually takes a team 4-6 minutes of game clock to score. When you change your routine from what you've been doing all game (and what you were spending 99% of your practice time on) you're guaranteed to execute less successfully. Treat it like any other play and execute.

I hear that but we were getting killed anyway due to exhaustion, we played normal on their last TD drive (not in overtime) and Hill went 64 yards for a TD. This is why they played soft on the last 13, but they needed to play press and then soft behind them which is where the double coverage comes in.

I agree doing something new for the first time is a bad idea but this is something that should be a staple in any defense and practiced regularly like they do with other game situations.

5 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

He isn't running for too much of a big gain with 13 secs I wouldn't think...

He could run for 20 in 6 seconds easy and still call a time out.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I agree with everything except I would’ve used Epenesa instead of Rousseau. Epenesa seems more athletic 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.