McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Seems like his players called the play though. Mahomes and Kelce.

That's 2 guys adjusting to coverage.  That's their job

Its on the f...ing head coach to decide the most important Special Teams call in Bills history. 

"Pop it up, squibb, or kick deep....what do you want coach??"

You telling me McD said:  "Your call."

Is this what happened?  I didn't listen yet.

I'm sick.  Still sick.   

I need to hear he and he alone made the call.  Not leave it to the ST coach or Bass.  If he left it to the ST coach that's just as bad as McD telling Bass to kick it out.  

If Bass f...ed up Bass needs to say so.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

Or Farwell.

All he's saying is they didn't execute. That doesn't necessarily mean it was Bass. Could be the plan was to Squib, Farwell didn't relay it correctly. Failed execution.

Then he should say that…it’s McDermott’s decision and if it didn’t get communicated properly it is his fault.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, mannc said:

Then he should say that…it’s McDermott’s decision and if it didn’t get communicated properly it is his fault.

Why? He doesn't have to. He's being ambigous while giving an answer and not throwing any specific person under the bus. What exactly will it do for him to admit it was Farwall or Bass fault?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Defense sucked all game to be honest. Don’t care who ya play it’s better then that. It’s like Talley said about the first Super Bowl loss, the kick determined the outcome but everyone made mistakes throughout the game. That’s was our D Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

That's 2 guys adjusting to coverage.  That's their job

Its on the f...ing head coach to decide the most important Special Teams call in Bills history. 

"Pop it up, squibb, or kick deep....what do you want coach??"

You telling me McD said:  "Your call."

Is this what happened?  I didn't listen yet.

I'm sick.  Still sick.   

I need to hear he and he alone made the call.  Not leave it to the ST coach or Bass.  If he left it to the ST coach that's just as bad as McD telling Bass to kick it out.  

If Bass f...ed up Bass needs to say so.  

No, they ran their own play. It'll be like Levi Wallace understanding there's absolutely no one else to his side and he has a safety deep maybe he should play Kelce a little tighter.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Given how gassed the D was, with 20/20 retrovision, we probably should have gone for two after the last TD. Four point lead likely safe and the risk/reward against a tired Chief's D flips the burden. If you miss, Bills play a much more aggressive D because they know a FG can beat them.

And if we didn't get those 2 points and a FG won it, we'd have second guessing on that point for days - just as we had second-guessing for days on the decision to go for it vs. kick a FG that resulted in the loss to the Titans.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Given how gassed the D was, with 20/20 retrovision, we probably should have gone for two after the last TD. Four point lead likely safe and the risk/reward against a tired Chief's D flips the burden. If you miss, Bills play a much more aggressive D because they know a FG can beat them.

Agree. Thinking back on it. I think you go for 2. You need 2 yards to completely ice the game with 13 seconds left

Going for 2 would have kept the teams mind set in an aggressive mode rather than kicking the extra point and trying to hold on

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Why? He doesn't have to. He's being ambigous while giving an answer and not throwing any specific person under the bus. What exactly will it do for him to admit it was Farwall or Bass fault?

I suppose you’re right…I just don’t believe it was Farwell or Bass that screwed up…you had plenty of time to clearly communicate the decision, which was a no-brainer anyway…

13 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I hope someone tapped his nose with a newspaper and said bad Sean bad.   

I'm not sure what's worse at this point:

The fact that the Bills lost in heartbreaking fashion at the very end of the game, or watching so many of my fellow Bills fans and fellow TBDians reveal themselves to be absolute tools.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, mannc said:

I suppose you’re right…I just don’t believe it was Farwell or Bass that screwed up…you had plenty of time to clearly communicate the decision, which was a no-brainer anyway…

Who knows and at the end of the day he's at least admiting it's an f up and he is putting it on himself. He's saying execution comes down to him. That's fine with me. At least he's not up there saying, gee I didn't think about squib kicking... it never crossed my mind etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No, they ran their own play. It'll be like Levi Wallace understanding there's absolutely no one else to his side and he has a safety deep maybe he should play Kelce a little tighter.

What are you saying?

The kicker and ST coach changing the head coaches kick call is on par with a QB and WR making an adjustment (which they discussed during the timeout) on a route?  

When Coach McDermott says, “I hope you can appreciate why I won’t go into details about who did what in the final 00:13”

oh to live in a real world where a fan…errrrr “journalist” would simply say, “no.  We can’t appreciate it.”

sigh…too bad…but when you have journalists (fans) who feel they are somehow part of the team…just don’t get that.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's shameful how fans turn coat and trash the coaches "anyone would be better" blah blah   All of a sudden everyone's a defensive football genius.  I know you're not saying that here, but it's right in line with people who are.

He's accepted responsibility at least a dozen times at this point "execution....starts with me".

If McDermott stood on the steps of City Hall and said "I publicly apologize to the city of St Louis, the fans of the Bills, and the Buffalo Bills" you guys would be saying "yeah, but he didn't do it wearing a hair shirt and whipping himself"

I don't want him to apologize.  I want him to learn from this experience, and do better.

Lol, it would be kind of odd if he stood on the steps of Buffalo city hall and apologized to the city of St. Louis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The fact that the Bills lost in heartbreaking fashion at the very end of the game, or watching so many of my fellow Bills fans and fellow TBDians reveal themselves to be absolute tools.

The latter....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, have you ever been in the game day thread? Not a shocker! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I just watched the kick again.  He certainly did.  Do I need to rewind & see all of his kickoffs?  He has a 60 yard FG leg, 60 yards is to the 5 yard line.  Not an argument.

This is so easy. I just went and watched it again and I don't think that he did. See how opinions work?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Agree. Thinking back on it. I think you go for 2. You need 2 yards to completely ice the game with 13 seconds left

Going for 2 would have kept the teams mind set in an aggressive mode rather than kicking the extra point and trying to hold on

Something tells me if the Chiefs had needed a TD in the last 13 seconds, they would have gotten one….just give it to Hill three times in a row and he’ll probably bust one…

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And if we didn't get those 2 points and a FG won it, we'd have second guessing on that point for days - just as we had second-guessing for days on the decision to go for it vs. kick a FG that resulted in the loss to the Titans.

Correct, that's why I said retrovision 20/20. We know the tactic we chose didn't work. Of course this is an impossible hypothetical, I wasn't attempting to say otherwise. (I do think the counterhistory option shows aggression. Fortune really does often favor the bold.)

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So he refuses to give any answers regarding the kickoff. Fine. 

Did he provide any detail on what the hell they were doing on defense the final two plays? Why they rushed four d lineman? Why they were protecting the sidelines? Why they were playing 20 yards off? Anything?

So inexcusable. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

So he refuses to give any answers regarding the kickoff. Fine. 

Did he provide any detail on what the hell they were doing on defense the final two plays? Why they rushed four d lineman? Why they were protecting the sidelines? Why they were playing 20 yards off? Anything?

So inexcusable. 

The whole thing was a mess. And that was after timeouts too! It’s not even like it was just total chaos with no timeouts, not that it would have been an excuse either. But this makes it even worse. 

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's shameful how fans turn coat and trash the coaches "anyone would be better" blah blah   All of a sudden everyone's a defensive football genius.  I know you're not saying that here, but it's right in line with people who are.

He's accepted responsibility at least a dozen times at this point "execution....starts with me".

If McDermott stood on the steps of City Hall and said "I publicly apologize to the city of St Louis, the fans of the Bills, and the Buffalo Bills" you guys would be saying "yeah, but he didn't do it wearing a hair shirt and whipping himself"

I don't want him to apologize.  I want him to learn from this experience, and do better.

If I could hit the “awesome” emoticon to this post a hundred times, I would.  Post of the day!  Perfectly said. 👏

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm actually thinking its was more the ST coaches that called the play.

I agree, if Bass was told to pop it up he wouldn’t have taken a full run up. He would have taken the three steps like he had on every pop up kick this year. It has to be the ST coaches decision or miscommunication with Bass.

• Agree 1

I don’t post much here but seeing some of these posts since Sunday make me laugh.

For years the Bills were the laughing stock of the NFL. Now they are considered one of the best ran organizations in the league. People are hiring are assistant GMs and coordinators. And idiots are in here McDermott gone after 4 playoff appearances in 5 years.

That is exactly how you go back to being a laughing stock, just like the posts from people wanting McDermott gone are.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I could see Bass trying to drop that kickoff inside the 10, so that the Chiefs returner really can't just go right down to save clock, or they start at like the 5 or 7 yard line, which is game over even with the 2 play KC made. If he returns it to the 20 or so 4-5 seconds are going to come off the clock and it's 1st and 10 at the 20-25 with 7-8 seconds left. At that point KC is not getting into FG range in time. 

I think that was the plan, but Bass was a bit too amped up and hit it a touch too hard, sending it into the end zone. 

If the returner busts off a long return, even to the 50, there's going to be like 3-4 seconds left. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The whole thing was a mess. And that was after timeouts too! It’s not even like it was just total chaos with no timeouts, not that it would have been an excuse either. But this makes it even worse. 

I think it can all be summed up in just three words: Deer in Headlights 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Justin C said:

I don’t post much here but seeing some of these posts since Sunday make me laugh.

For years the Bills were the laughing stock of the NFL. Now they are considered one of the best ran organizations in the league. People are hiring are assistant GMs and coordinators. And idiots are in here McDermott gone after 4 playoff appearances in 5 years.

That is exactly how you go back to being a laughing stock, just like the posts from people wanting McDermott gone are.

Post more Justin 🙂 great take.

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 3

If I'm building a team in 2022 I just build the offense from here, try to score 40 points a game and hope my D can force a punt or two a game. 

Although I would sign a pass rusher in free agency who is proven. NOW is the time for a Mario Williams type deal. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

So basically we need to make this dummy defensive cordinator  look good and draft more defensive players only lose not by 13 seconds but to lose by 15 seconds.  We only did that the last 5 years now.

Lmao.  Really?  We traded a first for Diggs, traded up twice for Allen, traded up for Ford, drafted Devin, Knox, Davis, Brown, etc.  

But please, tell us all again how we only focused on defense the last 5 years.  

Offense was unstoppable in the playoffs and defense didn’t get the job done against KC.  Yet you’re somehow opposed to addressing the defense?

Geezus this place is off he rails right now

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

If I'm building a team in 2022 I just build the offense from here, try to score 40 points a game and hope my D can force a punt or two a game. 

That’s exactly what they should do.  Build on your greatest strength. Pretty sure they’ll instead draft a defensive lineman who will do nothing to help us beat KC…

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is so easy. I just went and watched it again and I don't think that he did. See how opinions work?

You did???? 

I now have now watched the 29-26 kick, same approach 7-8 yards, After the 75 yard TD, he actually did a 5-6 yard approach and in the end zone.   After HT, 5-6 yards and through the endzone.....  

You want me to check the other 2 too?????  

No chance he was told to kick it short!!!!!! 

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think it can all be summed up in just three words: Deer in Headlights 

it is concerning that with ALL the work and detail that goes into an NFL football game the options and actions weren't scripted better...absolutely yes in retrospect.  McDermott takes responsibility and the buck stops there. Live and Learn keep it moving.

Im not trying to be a 1bd apologist/rationalist....... I think about how rare was the situation the Bills faced at that juncture of that game..learn from it YES............what else can we do now besides B word and moan ya know? LEARN. 

*sigh*

Edited by muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.