Josh's sneaky comp coming out of college was Cam Newton, and we are seeing why.

FireChans

Man oh man is this dude electric even when nothing is going right. Sure, he's had a couple down games passing.  That sucks.  But when he gets a full head of steam and uses his legs, he is the second best mobile QB threat in the game.

Today and against Atlanta the passing game was kinda crappy. But Josh has the unique ability (outside of Lamar) to become a one man offense and will drives to continue. Make no mistake, Josh decided to end this game today.

Let's get back on track passing the football next week and keep some of those scrambles or sweeps in our back pocket for when we need them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Man oh man is this dude electric even when nothing is going right. Sure, he's had a couple down games passing.  That sucks.  But when he gets a full head of steam and uses his legs, he is the second best mobile QB threat in the game.

Today and against Atlanta the passing game was kinda crappy. But Josh has the unique ability (outside of Lamar) to become a one man offense and will drives to continue. Make no mistake, Josh decided to end this game today.

Let's get back on track passing the football next week and keep some of those scrambles or sweeps in our back pocket for when we need them.

Bills out gained the Jets 430 yards to 52...they are lucky it wasn't 37 points they lost by instead of 17.

Yeah, Bills were not with it again after the first 2 drives until late 3rd/early 4th quarter and then they just decided to turn it up a little.

Bills ran for almost 200 yards again today

• Like (+1) 2

The first 50 minutes of this game felt like the coaching staff told Josh "Whatever you do. Do not feel like you have to make every play today. Just get rid of the ball." If this were a playoff game Josh probably would have had 50 yards rushing by halftime. 

I think it is becoming clear Josh needs to run like a MOFO in these bad weather home games. If he doesn't do it in the regular season that is one thing but when the stakes are the highest let it him run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A lot of his incompletions were drops. And throwing into that wind was a big factor. This is why Kelly never put up huge numbers. The wind in Buffalo is no joke. Allen is an elite QB and there’s nothing anybody can say to make me think otherwise 

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup he’s Cam but with more natural throwing ability and a better arm, and a better feel for the position

physically though they are very similar types of quarterbacks

So he’s Cam but if Cam was a great QB. 

Kind of makes it a bad comparison. 

• Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills out gained the Jets 430 yards to 52...they are lucky it wasn't 37 points they lost by instead of 17.

Yeah, Bills were not with it again after the first 2 drives until late 3rd/early 4th quarter and then they just decided to turn it up a little.

Bills ran for almost 200 yards again today

IN yards gained vs. yards given up ratio, this was the second best Bills game in team history.

The fact that the score was as close as it was tells you a lot about other misakes/problems/lack of execution/coaching.

I have been waiting for us to get into playoff gear for 5 weeks now; it never came.

And on the note, into the playoffs we go!  Let's hope we find that gear next week.

• Disagree 1

I always struggle with the right comparison for Allen.

Similarities to many.

Allen has more big play running ability then Newton had. In Allen's four years he has two years of 7.1 ypc (rookie year) and 6.3 ypc. Cam has never been over 5.8ypc in a season. Steve Young had a bunch of seasons over 6.0 ypc but at about half the number of attempts that Cam and Allen typically get in a season. But Young did have big play ability running the ball like Allen. 

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup he’s Cam but with more natural throwing ability and a better arm, and a better feel for the position

physically though they are very similar types of quarterbacks

The difference is Josh took throwing mechanics SERIOUSLY and Cam never did.

My concern is still that Josh is going to Eff himself up like Cam did with all the running.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

IN yards gained vs. yards given up ratio, this was the second best Bills game in team history.

The fact that the score was as close as it was tells you a lot about other misakes/problems/lack of execution/coaching.

I have been waiting for us to get into playoff gear for 5 weeks now; it never came.

And on the note, into the playoffs we go!  Let's hope we find that gear next week.

They looked pretty on it against the Patriots. They were unstoppable.

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Eww Newton, I think Allen better than he ever was now. Newton IMO was way overrated even in his MVP year. 

He's Cam or even Brett Favre maybe.

But the Cam comparison is obvious. Tough sell on this board cause people don't like Cam for some reason.

Funnily enough Panthers fans think of Cam just as highly as we do of our Josh. Anyways even if Josh Allen is superior to Cam in every way that's still what a player comp is. Think of Cam as proto-Josh if it makes you feel better about it

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The first 50 minutes of this game felt like the coaching staff told Josh "Whatever you do. Do not feel like you have to make every play today. Just get rid of the ball." If this were a playoff game Josh probably would have had 50 yards rushing by halftime. 

I think it is becoming clear Josh needs to run like a MOFO in these bad weather home games. If he doesn't do it in the regular season that is one thing but when the stakes are the highest let it him run.

I agree with this but there is some nuance.

Josh needs to sometimes run like a MOFO, because sometimes he has games or stretches of games where he isn’t a good passer. 

Getting Josh moving is a stop gap. The fix is actually having the valleys be less often and/or less deep. If he can become a bit more efficient/consistent, the sky is the limit for him and this team. 

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Steve said he runs like him and if he had physique like Josh he would have run like Josh.

Steve was shorter 6'-1/2"and lighter 205 than Josh, but had more footspeed (4.55 which is serious quicks for a QB of his era).

55 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I always struggle with the right comparison for Allen.

Similarities to many.

Allen has more big play running ability then Newton had. In Allen's four years he has two years of 7.1 ypc (rookie year) and 6.3 ypc. Cam has never been over 5.8ypc in a season. Steve Young had a bunch of seasons over 6.0 ypc but at about half the number of attempts that Cam and Allen typically get in a season. But Young did have big play ability running the ball like Allen. 

The arm angle reminds me of Rogers.  The size … Big Ben.  The running ability reminds me of young just because of the explosion.  Much mor young than Newton to me.  And the pocket escapability is Russell Wilson.  

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

A lot of his incompletions were drops. And throwing into that wind was a big factor. This is why Kelly never put up huge numbers. The wind in Buffalo is no joke. Allen is an elite QB and there’s nothing anybody can say to make me think otherwise 

The wind was huge.  34 points in one end of the stadium.  3 in the other.  Says it all. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Hyde said wind gusts were insane...so he did just fine 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

No his Comp is a 6’5 John Elway

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.