Bills vs. Jets Tickets Selling as low as $8

JohnNord

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jim Kelly wasn't playing in the comeback game..  

How many other playoff games did they not sell out was the question? 

Sounds like you need to do your own research to answer your question. I’m not sure where you would be able to find that information except from old newspaper articles?

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Sounds like you need to do your own research to answer your question. I’m not sure where you would be able to find that information except from old newspaper articles?

From all my research It looks like only the comeback game was the only post season non sell out 

And 96 was the worst season for the bills with four blackouts in regular season

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It is silly that the Bills have had 4 home games scheduled after December 1 with two after Christmas.  With at least 1 home playoff looming and no threat of any blackouts, staying home and watching on a high definition, big screen TV seems like a great idea to me.

Fans used to want December home games. Would always complain if we played Miami in Florida in December.

Just now, WotAGuy said:

Wow. That was fast. Where did you find that info?

While I was already looking into it when I posed the question..  

And then I just went down the line of Bill's playoff games 

Only two NFL playoff games were blacked out in the 90s and one in the 80s

Bill's vs  oilers.. and Packers vs lions were other team in the 90s

A few years ago a friend asked me if it was worth it to buy seasons and sell them as an investment and I laughed in his face

you buy tickets to go. There isn’t a resale market in Buffalo and hasn’t been since I’ve had tickets. I only sold the Miami game this year for basically face value. The last two

weeks I’ve given them away. Nobody Wants to sit in rain and snow when they don’t have to. As others have said, the diehards are already there

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

While I was already looking into it when I posed the question..  

And then I just went down the line of Bill's playoff games 

Only two NFL playoff games were blacked out in the 90s and one in the 80s

Bill's vs  oilers.. and Packers vs lions were other team in the 90s

I remember the Comeback game wasn’t on in Buffalo because my family came

out to watch it on the Syracuse station. It’s the only playoff game I remember being blacked out, although I didn’t pay attention to the playoff games I attended in person. But I remember it seemed like at least once a year games needing to be bought out at the last minute to not be blacked out. I don’t know how many playoff games fell into that category. 

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I remember the Comeback game wasn’t on in Buffalo because my family came

out to watch it on the Syracuse station. It’s the only playoff game I remember being blacked out, although I didn’t pay attention to the playoff games I attended in person. But I remember it seemed like at least once a year games needing to be bought out at the last minute to not be blacked out. I don’t know how many playoff games fell into that category. 

Just that one playoff game 

But you are right.. Russell Salvatore has bought a thousand Buffalo Bills tickets multiple times to lift the blackout 

Usually once a year when the team was bad in December

Edited by Buffalo716

This was as far back as I could find, and I don't know if the numbers are people who came, or number of tickets sold...

1993 playoffs (stadium capacity about 80,000)

Divisional round against the Raiders, attendance 61.923

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199401150buf.htm

AFC Championship, against the Chiefs, attendance 76,642

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199401230buf.htm

1995 playoffs

Wild Card round against the Dolphins, attendance 73,103

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199512300buf.htm

1996 playoffs

Wild Card round against the Jaguars, attendance 70,213

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199612280buf.htm

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You aren't missing anything.  The weather die hards are a minority.  Nobody really wants to sit out in that crap to watch a Jets game.  Even back in the Kelly days the stadium wouldn't sell out.  Not even for the playoffs. The only time they were on TV is because someone like Salvatore would buy up the remaining tickets. Because no one really wants to sit out in that crap.

I didn't see ANY empty seats in Green Bay when the wind chill was -6F. Patriots game was a full capacity last week against the miserable Jags, and it was 29F with some sleet. Seahawks game was 31F and rain against the Lions and both teams stink. Full stadium. Same with Bears/Giants temps was 22F, game fully attended. NONE of those teams fans are calling for a Dome. Frankly your pathetic. You make a great case for the Bills moving ASAP. And it's still very possible they will. There's no dome coming, the state and the Pegulas can't afford the extra $500K, and would have to charge much more for tickets, which I 100% guarantee you could not afford, if you've ever attended a game which I doubt. If the Bills can't sell out a home playoff game because it's cold and snowy, Pegulas should pack up the trucks and move IMMEDIATELY!! This is NOT an NFL city if that's the case. Why should Buffalo have a team, when the population is already extremely low, local average incomes levels are horrid, there's not ONE fortune 500 company locally, the team already dead last in luxury box income. And according to you, "The fans won't come and sit out in bad weather (Crap), even for a playoff game". There's 50 other cities that would build a stadium and charge the Pegulas NOTHING, for the chance of an NFL team. When the Bills are gone, you can sit in your comfy hovel in January watching Browns games, because they will become the local NFL "Market" games for Buffalo when the Bills are gone, because they wouldn't build a dome for some pansy's. .      

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

This was as far back as I could find, and I don't know if the numbers are people who came, or number of tickets sold...

1995 playoffs

1996 playoffs

Attendance versus ticket sold is different though   

Yes all of those were sold out

1 minute ago, Just Jack said:

1995 playoffs

1996 playoffs

Of those, I was at the Chiefs, Dolphins and Jaguars games and am pretty sure I bought tickets from the Bills as opposed to scalpers, except for the Dolphins game. That used to be a lot of fun though, roaming up and down Abbott Road, checking who had the best seats at the lowest price, waiting as long as possible, right before kickoff, to get the best deal. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

"I love outdoor football! In the elements, the way it was meant to be played!"

"I've got two Jets game tickets you can have for free."

"Naw, man. It's gonna be freezing!"

(I literally can't give them away.)

They read your posts and want to punish you.

You need to offer your time to Bills to go door to door getting signatures of people willing to donate for the roof.

I suggest you do it in winter when they are snowed in and no where to go.

Funny thing is Bills had it tougher for people outside of WNY to buy season tickets.

Think this marketing foobar has anything to do with low sales?

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

Of those, I was at the Chiefs, Dolphins and Jaguars games and am pretty sure I bought tickets from the Bills as opposed to scalpers, except for the Dolphins game. That used to be a lot of fun though, roaming up and down Abbott Road, checking who had the best seats at the lowest price, waiting as long as possible, right before kickoff, to get the best deal. 

Did that once and ended up in with tickets which were fake. 

11 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I remember the Comeback game wasn’t on in Buffalo because my family came out to watch it on the Syracuse station. 

You sure Syracuse had it? I had to watch it on the Watertown station.  Maybe you got it on the Utica station? 

27 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Of course they have a plan. The Pegulas are going to be making a substantial investment in the new stadium. They know the current market and know what it will take to sell out the new stadium. 

Well no sh*t they have a plan.   They have had a lot of plans since they first bought a Buffalo sports team........some have worked.......some have failed miserably.

What I said is they need a NEW plan for filling those seats at a more expensive venue........because their season ticket numbers are highly inflated because the relatively cheap price has created the appearance of more human demand than there is.   

Cheapest tickets now down to $7. Is there another NFL market, where you can get in the stadium for $7, to attend a game in which the local team can potentially clinch the division? I doubt it...

I can't even pay that low to attend a baseball game of my local "A" team.

Edited by Curt
Add

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well no sh*t they have a plan.   They have had a lot of plans since they first bought a Buffalo sports team........some have worked.......some have failed miserably.

What I said is they need a NEW plan for filling those seats at a more expensive venue........because their season ticket numbers are highly inflated because the relatively cheap price has created the appearance of more human demand than there is.   

They know exactly how much “human demand” there is because they know you guys have season tickets that you resell. That’s why they made it harder for out of town accounts to buy season tickets.  You act like you have some secrets the Bills don’t know about. 🤣

21 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

You sure Syracuse had it? I had to watch it on the Watertown station.  Maybe you got it on the Utica station? 

Positive. I couldn’t get anything other than Syracuse stations. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's like a half face truth

12 home playoff games at the Ralph in the bills history

How many have not been sold out? 2-3? Jim Kelly wasn't playing in one of them either   

The Ralph used to hold 80,000 plus back in the '80s 90s..  place was rocking the majority of the time 

I know for a fact that the Chiefs AFC Championship, what turned out to be Joe Montana's last game, wasn't sold out until Ch.2 bought the last few thousand tickets. I remember because I was unemployed and I went to shovel the stadium out to earn ticket money. I got paid $5/hr, plus Ralph Wilson gave each shoveler a ticket.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I grew up in the ADKs.  It was odd.  Channel 7 was cbs out of syracuse sometimes, even though it was technically a "watertown station".  Both 5 and 7 were CBS.....Maybe that played into it?

Anyway, go scoop up some cheap tix folks!  We got a division to win!

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know for a fact that the Chiefs AFC Championship, what turned out to be Joe Montana's last game, wasn't sold out until Ch.2 bought the last few thousand tickets. I remember because I was unemployed and I went to shovel the stadium out to earn ticket money. I got paid $5/hr, plus Ralph Wilson gave each shoveler a ticket.

Except that was not Montanas last game.  He lost to the Fish the following year in the playoffs as a Chief..

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Frankly if I'm the Pegula's I'd be very concerned that tickets are going for $8 bucks for a critical game that would give the Bills the AFC east crown!! Currently the forecast is for 42F with 30% chance of mixed precipitation, but according to most posters here, they wouldn't attend a game in those attention unless the team builds a dome. I wonder how many other current NFL cold weather cities fans are making similar posts? Likely ZERO. Buffalo is extremely, extremely, lucky to even have a team, and yet fans believe that they need a dome, or they won't attend games in January unless it's warm and comfy. I see the Browns are home on Sunday, they are eliminated from the playoffs,  the weather is even worse, and the lowest ticket is $30. Bills fans act like they have the Pegulas over a barrel _ "If they don't build a dome, we ain't coming". If I'm the Pegulas and Sundays game isn't 100% attended, I'm wondering why am I investing in this city, when much larger, more wealthy cities, and fan bases will welcome me with open arms, and build me a swanky new stadium and not charge me a dime? Many Bills fans are already claiming they won't pay for the seat licenses. Now insisting on a Dome the city, state, and frankly fan base can't afford...  Bills fans playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun. Bills have a great exciting team, most fans would die for, but in Buffalo a city with NO leverage, fans aren't interested in going to big NFL games if it's cold and snowy outside. With this attitude, soon the Buffalo local market TV team will be the Browns, when the Bills are gone. Then you can complain that the Browns need a dome.                

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I grew up in the ADKs.  It was odd.  Channel 7 was cbs out of syracuse sometimes, even though it was technically a "watertown station".  Both 5 and 7 were CBS.....Maybe that played into it?

7 is WWNY/CBS out of Watertown.  5 is WTVH out of Syracuse.  My grandfather was the Chief Engineer at 7 from when they came on the air until he retired.  16 was the PBS station.  50 was ABC, though I don't remember when they came on the air, I think sometime in the early 1990's.  

32 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Frankly if I'm the Pegula's I'd be very concerned that tickets are going for $8 bucks for a critical game that would give the Bills the AFC east crown!! Currently the forecast is for 42F with 30% chance of mixed precipitation, but according to most posters here, they wouldn't attend a game in those attention unless the team builds a dome. I wonder how many other current NFL cold weather cities fans are making similar posts? Likely ZERO. Buffalo is extremely, extremely, lucky to even have a team, and yet fans believe that they need a dome, or they won't attend games in January unless it's warm and comfy. I see the Browns are home on Sunday, they are eliminated from the playoffs,  the weather is even worse, and the lowest ticket is $30. Bills fans act like they have the Pegulas over a barrel _ "If they don't build a dome, we ain't coming". If I'm the Pegulas and Sundays game isn't 100% attended, I'm wondering why am I investing in this city, when much larger, more wealthy cities, and fan bases will welcome me with open arms, and build me a swanky new stadium and not charge me a dime? Many Bills fans are already claiming they won't pay for the seat licenses. Now insisting on a Dome the city, state, and frankly fan base can't afford...  Bills fans playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun. Bills have a great exciting team, most fans would die for, but in Buffalo a city with NO leverage, fans aren't interested in going to big NFL games if it's cold and snowy outside. With this attitude, soon the Buffalo local market TV team will be the Browns, when the Bills are gone. Then you can complain that the Browns need a dome.                

Bills fans better get used to the idea of an open air stadium, because a dome ain't gonna happen.

Period.  End of story.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

1996 playoffs

The ‘96 wild card game, and Kelly’s last, vs. JAX was blacked out in Buffalo. Remember having to listen on the radio that day with my grandpa off Eggert Rd. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/27/sports/nfl-s-blackout-rule-fills-the-seats-usually.html

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

You aren't missing anything.  The weather die hards are a minority.  Nobody really wants to sit out in that crap to watch a Jets game.  Even back in the Kelly days the stadium wouldn't sell out.  Not even for the playoffs. The only time they were on TV is because someone like Salvatore would buy up the remaining tickets. Because no one really wants to sit out in that crap.

It’s not weather die-hards; it’s Buffalo Bills die-hards; There were tens of thousands at the game last week. The playoff games back in the day were well populated too even if they weren’t sellouts.    

the resale market is the resale market.  The team already made their money on those tix.  The brokers and season ticket holders trying to get rid of tix are taking the loss.   That’s the speculation business for you. 

PS&E did their research among fans about a lot of topics.  Pegula said their fans want to be outside.   Is that true?  Seems to be reflected in the type of stadium proposed.  They’ll only need 60-62,000 going forward to sell out.

As vocal as some of you on the board are on this topic, I believe you are in the minority.   I think most fans are willing to roll with what comes.   I understand the ones who aren’t.  Just watch on TV and enjoy your comforts.

5 minutes ago, BILLieve85 said:

The ‘96 wild card game, and Kelly’s last, vs. JAX was blacked out in Buffalo. Remember having to listen on the radio that day with my grandpa off Eggert Rd. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/27/sports/nfl-s-blackout-rule-fills-the-seats-usually.html

It wasn’t a sellout.  But there were 70,000 people there.  That’s a lot folks.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I’m guessing this is why the new open air stadium will only have 60k seats.

Not sure why though. As others have said, season tickets sold out and the Pegs made their money full sale. 60k seats is only going to decrease pegs money unless he raises prices to make up for the differences. 

I just saw accuweather calling for 22mph wind with 40 mph gusts in the afternoon. Good thing the Jets have a bottom 5 run defense. 

If the Bills aren't building a dome they really need a great offensive line and that's all there is to it. It's nice they could finally run the ball but Atl is also a bottom 5 run defense.  They need to do that against much better competition in the playoffs to win at home in those conditions. 

A team like Indy,( tops in rushing, top 5 stopping the run), would be a major problem in that wind.

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not sure why though. As others have said, season tickets sold out and the Pegs made their money full sale. 60k seats is only going to decrease pegs money unless he raises prices to make up for the differences. 

1. They most definitely will raise regular ticket prices, maybe substantially 

2. fewer regular seats allows for more “modern” amenities, club seats, and luxury suites. 

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

They know exactly how much “human demand” there is because they know you guys have season tickets that you resell. That’s why they made it harder for out of town accounts to buy season tickets.  You act like you have some secrets the Bills don’t know about. 🤣

Are you dense?  We don't resell our tickets online so they aren't being transferred........so they would not know this information.   And no........they have no idea whatsoever who sits in our seats.   I could give you more specific examples to prove that but let's just say the banned ***** tossers could walk in with some of our ST cards for all they know.  As far as they know we have 30 full time ST holders when it's more like 15 people who pay for all of the tickets and actually attend every game.

Those 15 tickets will be all that's left if they triple in cost.  

Now there is plenty of money in Bills fandom to fill 60K considerably more expensive seats........Joe-sixpack doesn't think so but there is..........the key is making it worthwhile for them to show up.    The outdoor environment in Nov/Dec/Jan closes the market off to people with means who might bring their wives and kids or people who might fly in from their seasonal homes or just ex-pats with means.   The kind of people who aren't put out by the cost.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

13 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Unless?? Prices are going to skyrocket. That is a guarantee. PSL's are coming and a lot of fans and families are going to get priced out unfortunately.

Here's another guarantee -- when that new stadium opens there's going to be a lot of lamenting and reminiscing about the "glory days" when you could see a potential division-clinching game for $8. 

Enjoy it while you can!

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

1. They most definitely will raise regular ticket prices, maybe substantially 

2. fewer regular seats allows for more “modern” amenities, club seats, and luxury suites. 

They will have to raise it substantially. First to cover the costs of less overall ticket sales, and then again to pay for the new stadium. They will probably find people to pay that extra costs, but they would be better off building a huge dome and getting money year round and potentially a SB. I don’t necessarily want a dome, as I truly do enjoy snow games, but the Pegulas are being short sighted by not wanting a dome. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

They will have to raise it substantially. First to cover the costs of less overall ticket sales, and then again to pay for the new stadium. They will probably find people to pay that extra costs, but they would be better off building a huge dome and getting money year round and potentially a SB. I don’t necessarily want a dome, as I truly do enjoy snow games, but the Pegulas are being short sighted by not wanting a dome. 

Also remember part of Terry and Kim’s share of the construction costs will be defrayed by personal seat licenses sold to everyone who wants season tickets.

I have no personal preference with regards to dome vs open air, but even if they did build a dome, there is no way Buffalo would get a Super Bowl. Hotel capacity, etc. isn’t up to snuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

My guess is they're counting on decreasing the supply so there will be an increase in demand allowing them to jack up the season ticket prices considerably to more than make up for the lost revenue of reduced seating capacity.  Even when this team sucks again you're unlikely to see many empty seats in December and January.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

My guess is they're counting on decreasing the supply so there will be an increase in demand allowing them to jack up the season ticket prices considerably to more than make up for the lost revenue of reduced seating capacity.  Even when this team sucks again you're unlikely to see many empty seats in December and January.

I’m sure that’s part of it too. There are “opinion makers” if you want to call them that that have been saying for years off and on that Highmark Stadium’s capacity is too large for the region. They point to places like Indy and Detroit, two similarly sized markets with newer stadiums that have significantly less seat capacity (71.6K vs 67K and 65K, respectively.)

A flat 60K capacity would make Buffalo’s  new stadium the smallest in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ToBillsFan said:

I got killed this year on season tickets. Heck I can barely give tickets away and I’m in 100 level endzone. I’m even considering not getting playoff tickets because i feel like those won’t sell either 

I have lower level seats between the 45 and 50 yard line in row 8 and row 14, and the last few games, I was lucky to get almost half of face

I also am thinking of bailing on my playoff seats

DM me if you want great seats really cheap for the Jets or would like to take over my seats at face for the wildcard round

3 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Why would they be concerned? 

The Bills sold 50,000 season tickets.. the game sold out

They don't care what the aftermarket looks like... Because their tickets sold

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

But there were 70,000 people there.  That’s a lot folks.

You must not have been there.

The stadium holds 71,608 and there were significant chunks of the upper level unoccupied.  It was the most sparsely attended game of the year.  My guess would be the attendance was closer to 62,000.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.