Since when can the booth reverse calls?

Mikie2times

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

For God's sake, get rid of ALL OF IT and go back to the old days. 

No replay, no review, no challenge, no nothing.

Just spur of the moment calls coming from the field that everyone has to live with, and that's that.

And sure, the officiating is HORRIBLE.  So what?  

The system they have now is FAR from perfect and is filled with mistakes and subjective nuance anyway.

So get rid of instant replay and a dozen cameras also right? The only reason there's a lot of controversial calls is because we get to watch a bunch of angles in slow motion.

I don't understand why a sky judge can't watch the game like we do and reverse bad calls quickly just like we do. He still might get some wrong but he can see a play better than on field officials.

I don't want a sky judge calling penalties, but correcting a bad penalty call should be his/her job. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Just spur of the moment calls coming from the field that everyone has to live with, and that's that.

The system they have now is FAR from perfect and is filled with mistakes and subjective nuance anyway.

Maybe sit the next couple of plays out.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Worst idea ever.  People think the occiciating affects games now.   Go back and watch before replay when you will see called turnovers that clearly were not swing a game.    Touchdowns missed fumbles missed out of bounds missed.  I could go on.  The system while not perfect by any means is a million times better than your Stone Age approach.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I have watched a few games recently (happened in Bears game tonight)  where a play is ruled one way on the field. It appears obvious the coach will challenge and win. Instead of allowing this process to take place the refs decide to overturn the original call preventing the coaches challenge from occurring and changing the ruling on the play.

In both cases a few things were clear. The initial ruling on the field was not being debated by the officials. An outside entity was instructing the official to change the initial call. Play by play announcers commented "it looks like New York or the eye in the sky stepped in on that one". In both instances I will say it enhanced the quality of the game as it prevented a challenge that shouldn't have to occur, that said, did I miss something? At what point did the NFL say they would have booth reviews in real time along with coaches challenges? 

It was started this year - lots of discussion in the off-season.

It is supposed to be only for very obvious issues - if there is something close, but not obvious on quick review and the coach wants to challenge- that is available.  

The issue is the coaches do not know if the review team has looked at it - so there have been multiple close plays where the coach has even pulled the challenge flag before being told that the guys looked and basically you are not going to win.  

Coaches also wait now to challenge to see if it will be reviewed and the refs have slowed down teams - if they are signaled that it is being looked at to prevent the up tempo snap from preventing the review.

They need to do some fine tuning and do a better job communicating, but they have the right idea - they just need to keep moving it forward.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The Allen non 1st down last drive vs Tennessee was the first time I saw this happen.  Or at least noticed.  

That one still kills me - the refs gave the 1st down - huge moment in the game and NY just takes it over and says no 1st down.  

I can't stand NFL officiating and now with legalized gambling I'm giving it about 5 years before there is some massive scandal uncovered.  Somehow.  It's so brutal to watch and wait after every play to wait for a flag nullifying all spontaneous reaction.

It's awful.  Brutal.  

Nothing changes a game like a good hold on 1st down setting up 1st and 20.  Or a illegal use of hands whenever they feel like it on DBs.   

But they turned around a close call so quick.  That should have been a long review.  

Sunday fourth down that was obviously way short in the Tenn vs. Pitt game took 5 minutes.

The ball movement in the Buffalo game was done almost immediately and made little sense.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

From what I understand is they just have a guy in the booth watching the tv broadcast of the game.  If there's an obvious non subjective error ("Um, Jim.  You dumb middle aged straight white man.  He stepped out at the 20.  Not the 40.") then they'll just relay that down to the crew on the field and it's up to the official on the field on whether to take his advice.  It's a pretty archaic, half azzed system which is an improvement from the usual NFL replay nonsense.  

My only comment to that is, where do you apply? I'm just watching football anyways lol

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I have watched a few games recently (happened in Bears game tonight)  where a play is ruled one way on the field. It appears obvious the coach will challenge and win. Instead of allowing this process to take place the refs decide to overturn the original call preventing the coaches challenge from occurring and changing the ruling on the play.

In both cases a few things were clear. The initial ruling on the field was not being debated by the officials. An outside entity was instructing the official to change the initial call. Play by play announcers commented "it looks like New York or the eye in the sky stepped in on that one". In both instances I will say it enhanced the quality of the game as it prevented a challenge that shouldn't have to occur, that said, did I miss something? At what point did the NFL say they would have booth reviews in real time along with coaches challenges? 

The refs this season have been historically bad, so I WELCOME outside reviews!

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is since this year

Did it start at the beginning of the year or a few weeks ago? I remember one of our games where the refs kept huddling up and nobody knew why. The next day there was a bunch of articles about the ref in the booth was correcting calls. Since then there seems to be a booth correction in every game. I don't remember it happening before that game. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is since this year

Did it start at the beginning of the year or a few weeks ago? I remember one of our games where the refs kept huddling up and nobody knew why. The next day there was a bunch of articles about the ref in the booth was correcting calls. Since then there seems to be a booth correction in every game. I don't remember it happening before that game. 

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

from the start of the season I believe. 

9 hours ago, UConn James said:

If I’m not mistaken, this also was used to impose a penalty on Carolina for the 12 men on the field penalty. None of the refs threw the flag, Josh was incredulous for like 10 seconds, there was some mulling about as everyone was just like 🤷🏻‍♂️, the teevee guys did their thing of saying yeah he was still on the field at the snap and then a flag was thrown like a minute after the play, seemingly once word came from either the replay official or NY or both.

12 man can be done

I think it was also used in the fumble punt by New England 

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

From an ESPN article back in April....

The furthest they are willing to go is allowing the existing replay official, who already sits in a stadium suite but is limited to assistance on plays that are reviewed, to advise referees in a handful of other "specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present," according to the rule.

What can the replay official weigh in on?

• Penalty enforcement, proper down, spot of a foul, game clock or possession
• Completed or intercepted pass
• Touching of a loose ball, boundary line, goal line or end line
• Location of the football or a player in relation to the boundary line, the line of scrimmage, the line to gain or the goal line
• Down by contact (when a player is not ruled down by contact on the field)

Also buried in the article:

The NFL decided to formalize this process after its spontaneous and successful implementation two years ago during the second half kick off of the Bills @ Texans wild card game.  Commissioner Roger Goodell comments: "In the heat of the moment we saw an opportunity to assist one of league's rising stars at that time, Deshaun Watson, and the man with biggest heart in the NFL (not due to any juicing), JJ Watt. This gives us another tool to protect The Shield from blowback from any fanbases that might feel slighted by the narrative the league is trying to tell." Goodell then wiped his ass with hundred dollar bills and concluded the Zoom call.

• Haha (+1) 3

Eye in the sky baby!!! Its the best thing the league has done in decades regarding in-game corrections. Absolutely the best thing that was birthed out of the XFL or wtvr that league was called. In a league of inconsistent reffing, the eye in the sky is a win for the good guys.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Best adjustment I heard on this was about 3 years ago.

Proposed:  Allow replay review, but the footage must be reviewed at normal speed.  Not slow-mo, not freeze-frame, and not reverse play.  Make it like another official on the field at the time, but standing somewhere else, would have made a different call.

Because the rule (as written) is not to get the call right.  If they want the objectively correct result every single time, they can do that, but the games will take 5 hours.

(off topic, but it might come to this.  because of gambling.  The need to get the objectively correct call every single time.  I predict this will only happen when live real-time gambling comes online.  Something for the gamblers to do during the long delays during replay review)

Edited by maddenboy

7 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It was started this year - lots of discussion in the off-season.

It is supposed to be only for very obvious issues - if there is something close, but not obvious on quick review and the coach wants to challenge- that is available.  

The issue is the coaches do not know if the review team has looked at it - so there have been multiple close plays where the coach has even pulled the challenge flag before being told that the guys looked and basically you are not going to win.  

Coaches also wait now to challenge to see if it will be reviewed and the refs have slowed down teams - if they are signaled that it is being looked at to prevent the up tempo snap from preventing the review.

They need to do some fine tuning and do a better job communicating, but they have the right idea - they just need to keep moving it forward.

This.  They’re on the right track.  Just keep improving on this idea….if they truly want to fix their broken officiating.  Problem is, it might not be broken in their eyes. This might be exactly where they want it

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.